Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Merchant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:42 am 

I like to stand at the back with my arms folded and only giving the slightest nod of appreciation when I am remotely entertained by them.

I'll trade that at a high price (wanted list)

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 am 

I like to live my show behaviour to whiplash by metallica, so always in the pit thrashing all around for me

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:10 am 

For me it depends on the venue. If it's a small place like a bar, where the stage is basically one step up, I try to get to the front for headbanging and maybe a bit of photography. If it is a bigger venue with the barricades and stuff, then I'd probably be further back. But occasionally I'll go to the mosh. Depends on the band too.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:00 am 

The shows in Taiwan rarely have more than 100 or so people. Only times that ever happens is when foreign bands show up - Behemoth and Arch Enemy have drawn large crowds - or we have local favorites like ChthoniC. Because of that, I can fortunately manage to squeeze my way up to the front. Being the skinny guy I am, it's a constant fight to keep from getting slammed silly, so I try to keep to the railing, right in front of stage. Gives me a good position to headbang and enjoy the show. I love diving (not literally) into the pit to mosh, though I do that rather infrequently. When the crowd starts going crazy, I'm in the pit but after I get smacked up a bit, then I'll return to my position in front of the stage. And once a pit breaks out, I'll be back in again. :P
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

Violent_Thrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:25 pm 

Terminal_Tyrant wrote:
I don't like moshing but I understand it's natural at a show. Can anyone tell me of some shows where it's at a minimum? Devildriver concerts have the biggest and most annoying moshpits.

Try metallica shows, yeah, I know they suck cock... but at least there is not moshing at all ( but I wouldn't go, too many posers)

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm 

Nowadays at club shows, I try to be center stage behind the pit, or if the area behind the pit is elevated, I situate myself there. There are a few reasons for this and it's mostly comfort related. Compared to up front, it's a better view with better sound. I wear heavy prescription glasses (I'm basically unable to focus my eyes and I get headaches without them), and if I'm not up front, then I don't have to worry about losing or breaking them. I don't mosh and I don't like tightly packed crowds. I like to watch analytically. I prefer to take in the music and performance, so for me, back of house is ideal.

However, in my younger years (circa '97-'01), every show for the whole show, I'd leave my glasses in the car and would always be up front headbanging like crazy for the bands I like and flipping off the bands I didn't like with my back turned towards them. Good times.
Obliteration

Silencia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:18 pm 

Juggernaut140 wrote:
I'm extremely weak so no mosh pit for me :P

That's ironic considering your user name

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:32 pm 

If it is purely a metal show I will be right in front. If it includes any -core bands, I try to get somewhere where I can avoid having to worry about karate kids. I want to watch the band, not have to keep my eye on the pit to avoid a stray fist to the head.

Farr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm 

It kinda depends for me. If I really like the band, I like to be in front sometimes. But its also dumb in the front cause you can't see as well. The back is nice for watching and listening ok bands or bands I don't really know that well. And occasionally I'll go in the pit.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:09 pm 

Eh, I like to be away from the pit so that I can just listen to the music. At the last show I was at, I was sitting alongside the wall with my girlfriend, who doesn't care much for metal at all.

~Guest 186985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 pm 

in the pit

okram_09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 pm 

i love just being at the front, to get that communication feel from the band. every concert i been to, people headbang in sort of an individual way, kind of for your own good and your own expression, and from experiences, people that try to mosh, just start pushing people around, they usually get their asses kicked by other people in the crowd, cos theyr just fuckin annoying. I dont have a big problem with moshing but lots of people seem to get carried away with it.

gila_monster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:13 am 

I like to be up at the front or somewhere in the middle. I'm very picky about what I like to mosh to, so sometimes moshing. It sort of depends though... if it's a local show or a smaller venue I'll be at the front instantly if it's a band I like. If it's a bigger touring act and thus more crowded then I'll probably be more in the middle.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:47 am 

I'm surprised to be the first to say this.. but I like to stand near the soundboard. I figure they place it where they can hear the best, so why shouldn't I be there too?

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 am 

Depends. Usually I'm on the rim of the pit. I decide to stand on the rim so if I actually want to mosh I have easy access to the pit, and don't have to fight my way thru a sweaty crowd.

ngwoo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:25 am 

Beginning of show: bar
Mid-show: pit
After show: hospital

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:19 pm 

ngwoo wrote:
Beginning of show: bar
Mid-show: pit
After show: hospital

Hahaha...

for me it usually varies between either the railing if it's a band I _really_ like so I get there very early (or the girlfriend will be like uhh im little can you move please thanks, which works surprisingly well), or near the merchandise stands/bar to watch other bands. Occasionally I get in the pit but with high blood pressure I tend to get extremely violent, nearly got myself kicked out at a show once cause of it. Long story short I elbowed a guy into the crowd and kicked him in the chest for trying to crowd surf near me.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:29 pm 

already posted this in the MDF topic but this is my exact location at pretty much every band/show I'm trying to see. I'm the only retard with a longsleeve on in 80 degree weather...This particular moment was probably the awesome intro to Brutal Truth - Birth of Ignorance..as you can see, I love that fucking opening haha...

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:57 pm 

Haha, nice. ^

As for me, I usually either:

A) stay by the serving area and sip beer as bands play, especially during opener acts.

B) stay somewhere near the mixing booth, being able to hear the sounds well and enjoy the gig to the fullest, in a way.

C) in the pit. That's right, I usually end up in the pit sooner or later into the show and then pit to the very end of the show.

Come to think of it, it's options A-C combined rather often, but yeah. :P

Addo_of_nex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:57 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
I guess I'm one of the very fucking few that gets to the venue several hours before a show just to be the first person inside at the front of the line so I can have the dead center on the railing. The venue where all the shows are at has the perfect view for it and is just 100% perfect for concert viewing and I'm always dead center for it, just how I like it.

I do the exact same thing. Suffocation played some deathcore festival in April and I stood front row for about 9 hours straight. However, all the scenesters cleared out before they came on after Born of Osiris and I could have walked up front. Oh well.

I did the same thing the first two days of Maryland Deathfest, with Saturday being particularly hard on my legs. But I wasn't going to miss a chance to see Bolt Thrower with that perfect spot.

Anti_Human
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:05 pm 

Sometimes I just wander around, other times I'm at the front. I don't do moshing because I'm small and weak and a wuss.

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:12 pm 

usually try to get right to the front and headbang, much more intense and personal experience. if I'm not in the mood for being shoved by hairy sweaty people though I might stand further back, still quite a good view in smaller venues. I tend not to go in the pit much cos I don't weigh as much as most of the people there so tend to take more damage than I dish out lol

You know, every time I think I've heard the dumbest thing, someone comes along to correct that assumption.

Predator667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:35 pm 

Depends on the band, mostly. At the front headbanging if I like the band (or in the pit, if there are no skinheads there), in the back with a beer if I'm not into the band that much. Sometimes it also depends on my mood.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:08 pm 

I just stay at the front. You can usually hear the music better their. I've only been in a mosh pit once. It was pretty fun but I would rather listen peacefully rather than being shoved around. If I'm not at the front I try to be near the side.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:15 am 

generally at thrash concerts the whole moshpit pushes extremely to the front, so its not like theres an option. i saw tankard and the whole bloody pit was practically on the stage
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:48 am 

It depends on the music, but usually i stay at the edge of the pit and sometimes get into it. If the music is more suitable for moshing (thrash, grind, slam..etc) and i really like it, then i'm in the pit for the biggest part of the concert.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:08 am 

I've been front row every concert I've been at. It's pretty good as normally there's no moshing, just lots of headbanging/zoning out (depending on the type of music). Sound's best, atmosphere's best etc.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:10 am 

Front and centre. Centre being more important to me than it seems for a lot of people.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:23 am 

yeah, centre definitely has some advantages. If you're on the front but to the left etc. then you normally get blasted with just one guitarist/the bass/etc. totally screws the sound up.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:48 am 

I am always in the very front row, center, holding to the crowd barrier or the stage. I try to keep as much space for my self as possible. Here the very front row bangs the heads throughout the gig, while the moshpit is somewhere in the center of the crowd.

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 am 

Rampant_Fuck wrote:
already posted this in the MDF topic but this is my exact location at pretty much every band/show I'm trying to see. I'm the only retard with a longsleeve on in 80 degree weather...This particular moment was probably the awesome intro to Brutal Truth - Birth of Ignorance..as you can see, I love that fucking opening haha...

I wore my Repulsion long sleeve on the third day. GREAT IDEA!
"Yeah, I read that board for like 2 weeks when I first signed up a few years ago and determined it was about as intelligent as AOL Metal Chat and the FMP board having a retarded baby." - Dan discusses the M-A Board

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2