Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 pm 

So, I was talking music with someone and they mentioned that Mustaine fucked up Rust In Peace, re-recording vocals and so on, for some reissue. Then, I look on here and it says the original version is out-of-print. What the fuck? I mean, I bought this cassette when it first came out and then picked up the CD a few years later, so at least I'm covered. But what the hell happened to cause them to ruin a classic, after all these years? Now, future generations won't even know what it's supposed to sound like. Does anyone have any info on how/why this happened?

Last edited by ~Guest 123274 on Fri May 15, 2009 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 pm 

The re-recordings were due to Dave being unable to find the masters. Why he started in the first place, I don't know. I guess he was bored because I believe he was suffering from an arm injury at the time.

Areskelian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:04 pm 

Finally somebody agrees with me on this! Those Megadeth remasters are awful and unlistenable.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 pm 

Well, out of print isn't the end of the world. That doesn't mean you'll never be able to find it again or it won't be re-issued down the line.

There should be plenty of copies in circulation to satisfy your urge. I have my original copy I bought in 1990. I was thinking about getting another first press because mine has been played to death in the last 20 years.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:06 pm 

I believe Take No Prisoners is the only song affected on the remaster (in terms of vocals)

I own both the Peace Sells and SFSGSW remasters and they are fine.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:09 pm 

I think SFSGSW and KIMB were the only necessary ones. Did Risk really warrant a remaster/remix?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:10 pm 

Strange, I'd never heard this before. I'll take your word for it.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:13 pm 

Even if the original is out of print, it's probably not too hard to find. I see originals all the time. My girlfriend has original on Cassette, CD, and LP versions. I have it on CD version only.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 pm 

Somewhat related, I'm genuinely surprised Metallica hasn't done the remix/remaster thing. Some of their older albums (okay so only Justice) really could use it.

Mango_Sauce
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:30 pm 

It's kind of obvious why Mustaine "lost" the masters with the vocals done by Ellefson, considering the time period they were remastered.

I think the vinyl re-release that just came out is the fully original version, though. Cool stuff.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:36 pm 

When I was in my Megadeth phase, getting CD's of all their important albums, I got most of the remasters but in this used music store I saw an original Rust in Peace and decided, hey, what the hell, I'll buy it here instead of having the remaster like all the other albums.

I wasn't even aware of the problem with the vocals :lol:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:49 pm 

I don't see what the problem is with the remasters. It's not like, making a clean, glossy, overproduced In The Nightside Eclipse, totally devoid of atmosphere. Rust In Peace, Killing Is My Business.. Peace Sells.., So Far So Good.. are still great listens, remastering or not.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 pm 

Could someone offer a direct comparison between the original and allegedly changed versions, perhaps by way of Youtube?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:56 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Somewhat related, I'm genuinely surprised Metallica hasn't done the remix/remaster thing. Some of their older albums (okay so only Justice) really could use it.

I'm glad they haven't sunk that low yet to fuck up their old albums.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:11 am 

Areskelian wrote:
Finally somebody agrees with me on this! Those Megadeth remasters are awful and unlistenable.

I thought everyone agreed on this. Well, granted I've only heard KIMB, Peace Sells and Rust in Peace, but the latter two, especially Peace Sells, are unlisteneable. Killing Is My Business is a decent one though I do prefer the original even though it is a bit muffled.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:52 am 

Quite a noob-y question, but what exactly is so bad about the re-recordings? Is it that the production is completely fucked up, or something? I have the KIMB, PS, SFSGSW and RIP re-recordings, but I don't really hear anything bad about it...
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 am 

Well, firstly, I bought Rust In Peace way back in 2007 (original, apparently, had the booklet and all that crap) but it had the original sound, no rerecorded vox or anything. What the fuck?

There's an LP out with the original mix, apparently.

I think that once this remastered version goes out of print, they'll reissue the CD in the original sound, and hopefully do the same with So Far So Good and Peace Sells. Both KIMB versions are awesome.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 am 

I own both versions of RIP, and they both sound fine to my ears. The original is a more authentic representation of Megadeth and thrash in general at the time of its release, but they are both great on their own merits. The remaster definitely sounds better in my car, too.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

MetalFRO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 am 

This is the first I'd heard of the remaster of RIP having re-recorded vocals. As much as I like re-masters and such, I'm of the mind that RIP didn't really warrant or need one, other than to beef up the sonics and make it sound more "loud" or up-front, up the db count or something. Otherwise, it sounded fantastic as it was, so I have no further incentive to get the re-master. However, a re-issue on vinyl might be a near-necessity for my collection :D

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:22 am 

Where did this info that the original tapes were lost come from? I'd never heard that before and it really doesn't make any sense because the entire album wasn't re-recorded, Dave just re-recorded certain parts (mainly guitar solos). IIRC, Dave just claimed he was "fixing" certain parts. I believe he re-recorded guitar parts on "Peace Sells" and "So Dar...So Good...So What?", too.

BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 pm 

When were these albums reissued on vinyl, and where can I get them? I don't remember Dave saying he rerecorded guitar parts for Peace Sells or So Far. I imagine such parts would stick out from the rest of the album due to differences in analog and digital recording techniques and technology. I avoided the RIP remaster due to the changes so can't comment on it, but I prefer most of the Peace Sells to the original. I think I prefer So Far's original, it sounds crunchier and more metalized, and I can't stand those damn horns he put in Into The Lungs Of Hell.

gila_monster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:16 pm 

BackInTheVillage wrote:
When were these albums reissued on vinyl, and where can I get them? I don't remember Dave saying he rerecorded guitar parts for Peace Sells or So Far. I imagine such parts would stick out from the rest of the album due to differences in analog and digital recording techniques and technology. I avoided the RIP remaster due to the changes so can't comment on it, but I prefer most of the Peace Sells to the original. I think I prefer So Far's original, it sounds crunchier and more metalized, and I can't stand those damn horns he put in Into The Lungs Of Hell.

Those horns were in the original mix, man. They're just buried under piles of reverb and chorus, much like the rest of the album. Give the original a listen, you'll hear them if you've heard them on the remaster.

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:56 pm 

the only vocals rerecorded on rust in peace is the lead vocal track for take no prisoners. the original track was missing when they went to rerecord it, which isn't suprising considering it was recorded digitally back in 1990, the tracks were probably sitting on a backed up harddrive somewhere, and it's easy for files to get lost during a transfer. the rerecorded vocals sound nearly identical, so i dont see a problem. there are random backup vocals added throughout each album as well, but to me each album sounds vastly improved by remixing, especially rust in peace, i always thought the original was very tiny sounding

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:37 pm 

Not sure why everybody is getting their panties in a bunch. Rust In Peace [Remaster] sounds fine.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:43 pm 

jedimasterhassan wrote:
the only vocals rerecorded on rust in peace is the lead vocal track for take no prisoners. the original track was missing when they went to rerecord it, which isn't suprising considering it was recorded digitally back in 1990, the tracks were probably sitting on a backed up harddrive somewhere, and it's easy for files to get lost during a transfer. the rerecorded vocals sound nearly identical, so i dont see a problem. there are random backup vocals added throughout each album as well, but to me each album sounds vastly improved by remixing, especially rust in peace, i always thought the original was very tiny sounding

I thought Tornado of Souls had rerecorded vocals as well, certainly the version I heard on last.fm is completely different than the version on my remastered copy of RIP.

For what it's worth, I own the remastered version of Rust in Peace and Peace Sells, and I completely love both albums, however, I do feel a bit...cheated, for want of a better word, in the sense that I don't have access to the completely orginal version, even if the differences are minimal.

Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 pm 

I've heard Peace sells, SFSGSW, and Rust in Peace remastered versions and they all sound great to me, I can't notice any problems with them.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:39 pm 

I'm not sure if this is what you guys are talking about, but I got Rust in Peace off Amazon (it didn't say it was remastered) the vocals were *butchered*. The absolute worst part is the gay "demonic" voice on "Five Magics". It's so ridiculous and cheesy - it makes you wonder if Mustaine is out of his fucking mind.

UtUmNo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:01 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I wasn't even aware of the problem with the vocals :lol:

You have listened to the album, haven't you? :p

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:03 am 

Well, to clear up a couple things since it appears a few people didn't read my entire message, this isn't a problem for me, personally. As I already mentioned, I purchased the cassette when it was new and grabbed the CD a few years later. I haven't even heard the remastered version, but as soon as I was told about this, I took a look on Metal Archives and saw that the original was out-of-print. After checking out the redone version of Killing Is My Business..., a few years back, I just assumed that this was fucked all to hell also. I mean, if he would go so far as to ruin one classic, why not ruin them all? At any rate, I was just curious in regard to the backstory on this. Anytime people go fucking with old records, I get annoyed whether it affects me or not. I don't see any reason to tamper with classic albums, especially when future generations aren't going to know the difference.

gila_monster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:19 am 

Noctir wrote:
Well, to clear up a couple things since it appears a few people didn't read my entire message, this isn't a problem for me, personally. As I already mentioned, I purchased the cassette when it was new and grabbed the CD a few years later. I haven't even heard the remastered version, but as soon as I was told about this, I took a look on Metal Archives and saw that the original was out-of-print. After checking out the redone version of Killing Is My Business..., a few years back, I just assumed that this was fucked all to hell also. I mean, if he would go so far as to ruin one classic, why not ruin them all? At any rate, I was just curious in regard to the backstory on this. Anytime people go fucking with old records, I get annoyed whether it affects me or not. I don't see any reason to tamper with classic albums, especially when future generations aren't going to know the difference.

This is truth, and it applies to every other medium as well, movies in particular. The problem is when people feel that due to newer technology being available, they feel the need to use it and revise their classics. Keep them "up to date" if you will. It's a real shame so many feel the need to do this to their old classics. You're much better off making something new than fiddling with the past.

Not to mention an album should be a record of where the band was at that exact moment in time. Going back in fifteen years down the road and tinkering with what may be seen as "mistakes" ruins the magic of that.

BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 pm 

Well, I was told that all the tracks on RIP had new vocals except for the singles. I also don't know how one would know if the vocals were recorded digitally or not. I remember Mustaine saying the "tapes" were lost, so it doesn't matter if they were on a hard drive. Also, when/where was it said that guitar parts were added to PS and SFSGSW?

Most importantly, where do I get these vinyl releases. Who issued them?

BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:01 pm 

gila_monster wrote:
BackInTheVillage wrote:

Those horns were in the original mix, man. They're just buried under piles of reverb and chorus, much like the rest of the album. Give the original a listen, you'll hear them if you've heard them on the remaster.

I don't hear them. I'm pretty sure Mustaine said he added them. And how can they be buried by chorus? There's no vocals, unless you mean where a chorus should be if it were a song, but they only appear in the beginning...

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:01 pm 

BackInTheVillage wrote:
Well, I was told that all the tracks on RIP had new vocals except for the singles. I also don't know how one would know if the vocals were recorded digitally or not. I remember Mustaine saying the "tapes" were lost, so it doesn't matter if they were on a hard drive. Also, when/where was it said that guitar parts were added to PS and SFSGSW?

Capitol Records put em out on 180 gram.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:36 pm 

I agree, while Rust In Peace is great, the re-issue was just not necessary.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:43 pm 

You can hear the differences between the original and the remasters - they're pretty obvious. Personally, I do enjoy the originals more despite the more "lacking" production. The vocals were ruined, going from "not that good" to just plain atrocious.

I remember listening to even "Into The Lungs Of Hell" (I know different album), and he pretty much fucked up the entire song - and that's an instrumental!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MetalFRO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:58 pm 

BackInTheVillage wrote:
gila_monster wrote:
BackInTheVillage wrote:

I don't hear them. I'm pretty sure Mustaine said he added them. And how can they be buried by chorus? There's no vocals, unless you mean where a chorus should be if it were a song, but they only appear in the beginning...

I'm guessing what was meant was a "chorus" effect on the mix, if memory serves.

gila_monster
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:17 pm 

BackInTheVillage wrote:
gila_monster wrote:
BackInTheVillage wrote:

Dude, listen to the song at 27 seconds in. You can hear where the horns are, they are just buried in the mix. And by chorus I mean the effect, not vocals. There is an effect called chorus that acts much like phaser and flange where it shifts layers of the sound to create a modulation. The trumpets are there. You can hear a faint resonance at that exact moment, and if I remember correctly, that's where the trumpets are in the remastered version.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:32 pm 

screamingstatue wrote:
I thought Tornado of Souls had rerecorded vocals as well, certainly the version I heard on last.fm is completely different than the version on my remastered copy of RIP.

There was a version of "Tornado of Souls" on last.fm (a live version probably) with vocals that I'm sure most people would have hated. I doubt the version of "Tornado of Souls" on last.fm that I heard is the original version on Rust in Peace. The vocals lacked any sort of aggression and would have probably sounded even somewhat comical to quite a few people.

BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:42 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
BackInTheVillage wrote:

Capitol Records put em out on 180 gram.

How recently? Know any vendors?

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:52 pm 

Re-recorded vocals on the remasters? Didnt know that. Either they still sound good

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next