Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:40 pm 

spectreofdeath wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
And the moral of this story is, Spectreofdeath is an idiot.

did you even read what I said?

It would have been hard to make that statement without doing so, eh? That's the same conclusion I reached after reading your ridiculous posts, along with many others, I'm sure.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:07 pm 

Gravemarker wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
And the moral of this story is, Spectreofdeath is an idiot.

did you even read what I said?

It would have been hard to make that statement without doing so, eh? That's the same conclusion I reached after reading your ridiculous posts, along with many others, I'm sure.

well, you're wrong.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:08 pm 

Wow, he sure showed us.

:rolleyes:

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:15 pm 

Can we please just ignore this spectre noob and keep on subject?

Colombia might be seen as a mecca of death metal in the underground brutal/slam death scene, but how many big names have really emerged from there? Internal Suffering, Masacre, Ancient Necropsy, Amputated Genitals...how many are really very well known?

There are some amazing bands from Colombia that many haven't even heard of. Leishmaniasis? Cysted? Extremely Rotten Flesh? Goretrade? Mental Apraxia (ignoring the horrible production on the second half of their album of course)? Saproffago?

The scene itself might not be underrated, but the individual bands are.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:17 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
Am I really the first one to say that bay area thrash is overrated?
...Metallica, Megadeth and Exodus are overrated, maybe. But Sadus, Possessed, Heathen, Ulysses Siren, Hexx and Blind Illusion are UNDERrated, if anything.

Completely irrelevant when you talk about the scene in general. Many people still think that Bay Area is/was the Holy Grail of thrash metal, even though I personally find "the Bay Area sound" really boring. Sure, some Bay Area bands released some of the best thrash albums ever, but most of those bands were really lame. I don't know if the scene is "overrated", though, because I don't really like using that word.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:35 pm 

spectreofdeath wrote:
well if its ten seconds maybe, but if every chorus section is clean and there are acoustic guitars and such, then its drifting away from pure death metal, you see?

That's not the point, you are completely wrong in your assertion based on the fact that neither of the afformentioned albums have any of the qualities that you have just provided. And for the record there has always been limited acoustic guitar usage in death metal.

Last edited by cultofkraken on Sun May 03, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:39 pm 

I'm not going to quote this monstrosity, look one post up wrote:
stuff

^^^ That is the most massive quote I've ever seen. You should probably cut that down. ٥_٥

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:19 am 

Noktorn wrote:
I'm very into the Portuguese black metal scene lately; it takes the Spanish sound and makes it gloomier and more dungeon-like, a lot like some of the further reaches of the Italian scene.

Care to elaborate on this? The only black metal bands I know of from Portugal are Moonspell, Corpus Christii and Daemonarch.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Melkor666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:59 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
I absolutely LOATHE my regional scene. There's nothing but metalcore wannabes everywhere all inspired by shitty bands like Unearth, Shadows Fall, Red Chord, Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, et fucking cetera. God, I hate the New England underground.

On the positive side, decent Black Metal acts come from here, too, including: Horn of Valere, Sorcery, Haxen, and a few others. And, of course, Rhode Island has its Death Metal champion Vital Remains. Did I mention Anal Cunt comes from here, too?

Dude Central IL is twice as bad now they're all claiming to be grind.......no.....they sound like a pig being raped to the music of Killswitch....god aweful.

Ireland is extremely underrated. honestly. can you say PRIMORDIAL!!

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:39 pm 

Melkor666 wrote:
[
Dude Central IL is twice as bad now they're all claiming to be grind.......no.....they sound like a pig being raped to the music of Killswitch....god aweful.

Yes, but to be fair, you've still got Central Illinois Metalfest, which is still badass.

But yeah, you have to come to Chicago for the good bands.

Melkor666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:42 pm 

Ribos wrote:
Melkor666 wrote:
[

Yes, but to be fair, you've still got Central Illinois Metalfest, which is still badass.

But yeah, you have to come to Chicago for the good bands.

O yea Metalfest....damn haha completely forgot about that. LAst year was pretty good too God Dethroned just happens to be one of my favorite bands and they played. hell yea.. But yea chicago is were its at.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:00 pm 

Melkor666 wrote:

Can you say anything else?

Melkor666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm 

_Aargh wrote:
Melkor666 wrote:

yea.....other than that and a few black metal bands. I change that irelands not that underrated.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:30 pm 

_Aargh wrote:
Melkor666 wrote:

No, but I can: Altar of Plagues.

I live in Grand Rapids, and although 99% of the scene is contaminated by -core filth or groove chimps, the remaining bands are actually pretty good, like:

Flesh for the Beast
Ultrathrash
Sadomasochism
Dendura
Golgothian Denial

Not many, but they are worth checking out if you enjoy death metal, black metal, thrash, and Egyptian-folk influenced power/progressive metal.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:41 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Finnish Power Metal doesn't get enough credit, too often dismissed, I say.

I agree. Finland's metal scene gets a lot of attention in general, but most metalheads just completely blow off the power metal scene there. Although, among power metal fans, especially in the US, Finland is pretty much worshiped.

Speaking of power metal, Italy's huge PM scene gets very little attention for the amount of bands that comprise it. There are tons of totally unknown bands producing great releases, but they are never talked about here or anywhere else.

Getting away from power metal, I personally don't think Ireland is THAT underrated. A fair number of bands from there are getting a lot of attention, such as Gama Bomb (although they're actually from Northern Ireland, does that count...?)

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:43 pm 

Melkor666 wrote:
Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
I absolutely LOATHE my regional scene. There's nothing but metalcore wannabes everywhere all inspired by shitty bands like Unearth, Shadows Fall, Red Chord, Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, et fucking cetera. God, I hate the New England underground.

On the positive side, decent Black Metal acts come from here, too, including: Horn of Valere, Sorcery, Haxen, and a few others. And, of course, Rhode Island has its Death Metal champion Vital Remains. Did I mention Anal Cunt comes from here, too?

that's scene grind, which is actually is not grindcore in the slightest.

Juggernaut140
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:59 am 

Brazilian thrash scene seems kind of underrated.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:07 am 

_Aargh wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
MortalScum wrote:
...Metallica, Megadeth and Exodus are overrated, maybe. But Sadus, Possessed, Heathen, Ulysses Siren, Hexx and Blind Illusion are UNDERrated, if anything.

Completely irrelevant when you talk about the scene in general. Many people still think that Bay Area is/was the Holy Grail of thrash metal, even though I personally find "the Bay Area sound" really boring. Sure, some Bay Area bands released some of the best thrash albums ever, but most of those bands were really lame. I don't know if the scene is "overrated", though, because I don't really like using that word.

What is the "bay area" sound? There is the more melodic style of Heathen, the random riffs of Dark Angel, and there's the awesomeness of Sadus. I don't see how you can generalize bay area thrash with one sound.

However, I do think Bay Area thrash in general is overrated because of Testament and Metallica alone. Because this is a metal forum, maybe also Dark Angel.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:55 am 

The Bay Area overrated? Crazy talk. In addition to the bands already mentioned, SF/Bay Area gave the world Vio-Lence, Tyrranicide, and Death Angel - all three vastly different sounding bands. If I had to pick only one scene to fulfill my thrash collection, it would have to be SF/Bay Area.

Yes it is the real Goat.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:46 am 

brightfield wrote:
The Bay Area overrated? Crazy talk. In addition to the bands already mentioned, SF/Bay Area gave the world Vio-Lence, Tyrranicide, and Death Angel - all three vastly different sounding bands. If I had to pick only one scene to fulfill my thrash collection, it would have to be SF/Bay Area.

German thrash > Bay Area thrash, any day

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:
German thrash > Bay Area thrash, any day

Maybe, but it doesnt make Bay Area thrash overated...
Bay Area thrash has much more variety. How can you go wrong with Dark Angel, Vio-lence and the likes. The fact that Metallica, Megadeth, Testament etc are worshipped all over the world, doesnt make the scene overated!!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am 

Seeing as bay area thrash is the pinnacle of music as a whole, I don't see how it could be overrated.

I'd have to nominate early english death doom as a rather underrated scene. Not a huge amount of bands, but heaps of really high quality music, definitely.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:13 am 

double post fuck yeah

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Last edited by caspian on Wed May 06, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:53 am 

Wasn't Megadeth in LA, and not the Bay Area?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 pm 

FragKrag wrote:

Mustaine was originally in Metallica and wrote a lot of early Megadeth stuff at the time, so you could say the band was seeded in the bay area.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:16 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
FragKrag wrote:

Mustaine was originally in Metallica and wrote a lot of early Megadeth stuff at the time, so you could say the band was seeded in the bay area.

But Mustaine was booted out shortly after Metallica moved from LA to SF. According to the MA background section, just a few weeks after. So, I don't really count Megadeth as being Bay Area at all.

Yes it is the real Goat.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:06 pm 

FragKrag wrote:
What is the "bay area" sound? There is the more melodic style of Heathen, the random riffs of Dark Angel, and there's the awesomeness of Sadus. I don't see how you can generalize bay area thrash with one sound.

I think it's pretty easy to tell a Bay Area band from a German thrash band. Palm muted riffs, a bit of melody, relatively clean vocals and so on. Of course there are exceptions like Dark Angel and Sadus, and usually these "exceptions" are the best bands.

~Guest 18743
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:47 am 

the russian melodic death metal scene is pretty interesting, some neat bands like horizon 8, scartown, everlost etc. inexist just rips off in flames completely, but the 2nd album is ok. i think what interests me about russian metal is that all bands seem to stay in russia (+surrounding eastern countires eg ukraine) - even the most popular bands are unheard of in the western world.

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:36 pm 

TomD666 wrote:
the russian melodic death metal scene is pretty interesting, some neat bands like horizon 8, scartown, everlost etc. inexist just rips off in flames completely, but the 2nd album is ok. i think what interests me about russian metal is that all bands seem to stay in russia (+surrounding eastern countires eg ukraine) - even the most popular bands are unheard of in the western world.

I thought that Everyone knows who Arkona are?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:52 pm 

WHO THE FUCK SAID UNORTHODOX ISN'T DEATH META!?

Anyway, the Seattle scene is getting noticed pretty well. During the grunge period it was blown way out of proportion for the alternative rock kids, but now it's known for it's blown out of proportion indie scene.

It's black metal bands are known in the underground and it has it's share of classic bands like Queensryche and such. Every member on this board, I'll bet, likes at least one band from the Puget Sound area.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:52 am 

TheMancubus wrote:
TomD666 wrote:

I thought that Everyone knows who Arkona are?

Since when Arkona plays MDM?

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:54 am 

TomD666 wrote:

I would like to add Fragile Nova and Scream In Darkness to your list :)

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:25 pm 

FragKrag wrote:
_Aargh wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
MortalScum wrote:

However, I do think Bay Area thrash in general is overrated because of Testament and Metallica alone. Because this is a metal forum, maybe also Dark Angel.
Dark Angel were from L.A.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:39 pm 

Italian metal as a whole is pretty underrated. Sure, a band like Rhapsody has gained worldwide exposure, but there are far superior bands from that country in every genre.
Necrodeath, Bulldozer, Natron, Hour of Penance, Algophobia, Mortuary Drape, Aborym, Death SS, Forgotten Tomb, Void of Silence

...just to name a few

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
FragKrag wrote:
_Aargh wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
MortalScum wrote:

I think lots of people confuse Dark Angel with Death Angel.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:01 pm 

elf48687789 wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
FragKrag wrote:
_Aargh wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
MortalScum wrote:

I think lots of people confuse Dark Angel with Death Angel.
I don't see how that's possible. Dark Angel were superb brutal thrash, Death Angel were mediocre, pussified melo-thrash.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
Italian metal as a whole is pretty underrated. Sure, a band like Rhapsody has gained worldwide exposure, but there are far superior bands from that country in every genre.
Necrodeath, Bulldozer, Natron, Hour of Penance, Algophobia, Mortuary Drape, Aborym, Death SS, Forgotten Tomb, Void of Silence

...just to name a few

Add in Necromass, Blasphemophagher, Necrovomit, Monumentum (early stuff) and Altar of Perversion... yes the Italian scene is awesome.

Last edited by cultofkraken on Sun May 10, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:20 pm 

Spite Extreme Wing, Malfeitor and Melencolia Estatica too.

Andromeda_Unchained
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:39 pm 

My local scene isn't much to shout about. We have a few decent Gothenburg scene inspired acts, and two power metal acts (one of which is now split up).

Other than that we have your run of the mill 'core acts and a couple of Nu Metal acts.

To be honest I've lost interest in my local scene.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:37 am 

HowDisgusting wrote:
I don't see how that's possible. Dark Angel were superb brutal thrash, Death Angel were mediocre, pussified melo-thrash.

They simply see a list of Bay-area bands with a D-Angel band, then they think it was Dark Angel, I don't mean they confuse them musically.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next