Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:58 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsE1QkBidTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4JcAjHC ... re=related

Okay, so this is the new single from Stratovarius' Polaris album and one other sample, and it's definitely not the best stuff they've ever done, but it does at least show that they're trying. I guess it kind of sounds like a muddle of everything from 4th Dimension to Elements part II, sort of a blend of everything they did before the self titled. New guitarist is talented enough to allow for some more ambitious stuff than the last couple albums, which is good. I think the sample of "Higher we Go" sounds better than "Deep Unknown." But we will see, I suppose.

kris_dobo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:57 am 

I didn't care for the first track but the Higher We Go sample sounded decent enough. The chorus was quite nice. Im not a huge fan of this band though so my opinion won't really matter.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm 

New single is good, lead guitar is promising.. I have high hopes that this new album will be good. I mean, c'mon it's gotta be better than the previous :ugh:

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:24 pm 

So... going higher is better than that which is not known, down in the depths?

I'll make this a useful post when I've listened them through. Gimme a few minutes.

Well then... I don't have that much to add, but to agree with what seems to be what others already said. Higher We Go was far better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:23 pm 

Deep Unknown sounds really layered, almost unnecessarily so. I bet it'll sound better on a real CD though.

On the plus side, goddamn they sound so good. They sound completely reborn. It's like a brand new band.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:59 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Deep Unknown sounds really layered, almost unnecessarily so. I bet it'll sound better on a real CD though.

On the plus side, goddamn they sound so good. They sound completely reborn. It's like a brand new band.

I can't agree more. These new tracks gave me an eargasm. I can't wait to see them in September.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:59 am 

Both tracks remind me of a time when Stratovarius didn't suck. If the whole album is up the quality of these samples, it could be their first good release in years.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:32 am 

I'm not crazy about the first track, but love the sound of Higher We Go. Guitar is excellent regardless. One thing I'm concern about is whether they'll still sound like Stratovarius. Obviously I'm not expecting it to be identical since Tolkki has cleared off, but I was never sure myself how much influence the others had on the bulk of the music and as such what this was going to end up like....pretty promising though!

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 am 

Higher We Go at least sounds like Stratovarius again. It's been a few years... I wanna hear the full track and more often to see if it's a 'stayer'

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:59 pm 

Well the whole thing's leaked and I'm on my fourth play or so - it's quite interesting, and it might be a bit disappointing at first for some people. A sticky point here is that no, they do not really sound like Stratovarius from the past. In fact it sounds like a debut from a new band - but let your fears rest, it would be a GOOD debut, not a poor one.

Very proggy, sprawling and interesting, this is a cool album. I think "Winter Skies" might be the best song they've ever done, too. Fuck, what a powerful song.

Cal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Very proggy, sprawling and interesting, this is a cool album. I think "Winter Skies" might be the best song they've ever done, too. Fuck, what a powerful song.

Jesus, that song blew me away. Didn't know it had leaked, thanks for the heads up; I'll go and check it out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:16 pm 

Cal wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Jesus, that song blew me away. Didn't know it had leaked, thanks for the heads up; I'll go and check it out.

So you heard that song, but not the whole album?

Cal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:39 pm 

Looked it up on youtube when I saw your post.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:52 pm 

It leaked!? I really grew to like Deep Unknown, the solo especially. It sounded... different from their past works in a way I can't quite explain. Gonna check this album out for sure.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:55 pm 

Stratovarius has never been the best of bands, but listenable at least till their S/T album. new songs sound pretty good. a breath of fresh air from all that Timo Tolkki stuff.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:02 pm 

Funny, I hear the keyboard intro to "Blind" and when imaginig it being played on acoustic guitar... could have come straight from a viking-era Bathory album... and then the song goes Strato all the way.
I like this song

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:14 pm 

I don't like this album because it's preventing Matias Kupiainen from putting out a full length Fist in Fetus album.

Ok so I haven't ever actually given Stratovarius a listen anyhow. The new stuff is neat but it doesn't blow me away, should I still check out the old stuff sometime?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:19 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
I don't like this album because it's preventing Matias Kupiainen from putting out a full length Fist in Fetus album.

Ok so I haven't ever actually given Stratovarius a listen anyhow. The new stuff is neat but it doesn't blow me away, should I still check out the old stuff sometime?

Only the stuff from Fourth Dimension to Destiny, and then this new one. I plan on reviewing the stuff in between soon to tell you and everyone else why. :p

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:05 pm 

Empyreal, you don't like Dreamspace?

I've given most of the album a quick listen at work here, sounds pretty good, but of course since I'm at work, I'm not exactly listening to it in depth. Definitely has a progressive edge to it, which I like. It doesn't necessarily sound like "signature Stratovarius" either, which is a plus IMO. I agree that it sounds like a brand new band, it's refreshing in a sense.

Definitely excited about this album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:14 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:

I've given most of the album a quick listen at work here, sounds pretty good, but of course since I'm at work, I'm not exactly listening to it in depth. Definitely has a progressive edge to it, which I like. It doesn't necessarily sound like "signature Stratovarius" either, which is a plus IMO. I agree that it sounds like a brand new band, it's refreshing in a sense.

I tried to listen to it once and was put off by the HORRIBLE vocals. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

One thing I don't necessarily like about this album is the lack of a real direction. Despite how fucking awesome the songwriting is, Polaris really just sounds like a bunch of songs, rather than a coherent album. That keeps it from a perfect score, I think.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:24 pm 

Oh hell yes this sounds promising. I may buckle under the pressure and check out the leak for this one, or maybe I'll request the promo once The Metal Observer gets it. Both of these songs sound excellent.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

I tried to listen to it once and was put off by the HORRIBLE vocals. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

Weird, I always thought the vocals on that album where great. I don't see why people hate on Tolkki's vocals on that album. Oh well. :P

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

Weird, I always thought the vocals on that album where great. I don't see why people hate on Tolkki's vocals on that album. Oh well. :P

I'm fine with his vocals too, but I can see how someone would hate them.

Anyways, I'll be willing to give this a listen. Stratovarius is a pretty good band anyways (thankfully, I haven't heard their s/t).

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:22 pm 

On my third listen already (it's a REALLY slow work day), really loving this album so far.

And I just realised. I will be seeing these guys in September. I'm beyond pumped! Seriously, I was looking forward to it even just for hearing the classics but now I'm more excited than ever.

Does Blind remind anyone else of some of the speedier songs on Episode?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:

The whole album reminds me of Episode, except for maybe King Nothing. It's a very proggy, introspective style for these guys and I like it a lot.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

The whole album reminds me of Episode, except for maybe King Nothing. It's a very proggy, introspective style for these guys and I like it a lot.

Agreed, definitely hear it on Emancipation Suite aswell (chorus screams Babylon).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.