Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeadHead487
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:45 pm 

I was a used record store today and they a copy of Drowning Pool's Sinema and on the cover, Dave Williams is wearing a Bathory shirt which I found very interesting. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Williams' musical tastes or if they find this as interesting as I do.

DopeThrone666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:52 pm 

More then likely, it's like all the deathcore bands in Suffocation t-shirts. They don't actually listen to the music, they just wear the shirts to attempt to get some kind of respect with fans of non-core metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:53 pm 

DopeThrone666 wrote:
More then likely, it's like all the deathcore bands in Suffocation t-shirts. They don't actually listen to the music, they just wear the shirts to attempt to get some kind of respect with fans of non-core metal.

Or maybe they just enjoy the music and you're being an over-generalizing douchebag.

c0d
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 pm 

Poser, like all of 'em core fags.

DopeThrone666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
DopeThrone666 wrote:

Or maybe they just enjoy the music and you're being an over-generalizing douchebag.

Maybe, but I am speaking from my experiences.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 pm 

Nah, I'm pretty sure Empyreal said it right, Maybe he actually liked Bathory and other bands like that and just wanted to pursue a different music path.

As for the deathcore bands wearing Suffocation and other shirts like that, I'm pretty sure they are fans of it. Where does they're influence come from?

Last.fm

boneexposed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
DopeThrone666 wrote:

I agree, there's a band here in Monterrey called Plastilina Mosh, they play electronic pop mixed with a lot of different genres and one of them used to be in a thrash metal band that didn't have much success. Maybe this guy likes Bathory but he needs money and he thought that making music like Bathory wouldn't make him rich.

http://www.last.fm/user/ArnusProfanus

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:06 pm 

I know that some -core fans can be unbelievable douchebags, but really, if they're a member of an established band, would they honestly be worried about what fashon statements they have to make to win over true metal fans?

It's not a fashion show, maybe they just like the music. Hell, maybe they just thought the shirt was vaguely cool. Who knows.

kiske_of_deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:27 pm 

Chances are most deathcore fans actually like Suffocation. Hell, Iwrestledabearonce are Cryptopsy fans.

As for the Drowning Pool guy wearing a Bathory shirt, he's propably a fan. It doesn't really matter what music he likes though, really. Drowning Pool are still shite.

Jackoroth686
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:27 pm 

I'm not familiar with Drowning Pool (thank fuck) but I know that Black Dahlia Murder are big fans of old school Swedish Death Metal and old hardcore and you can hear it in their riffs.

I met two of the guys when I saw them twice and one had an Entombed shirt on and the other guy had a Shotpointblank or similar hardcore band shirt on.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:31 pm 

Jackoroth686 wrote:
I know that Black Dahlia Murder are big fans of old school Swedish Death Metal and old hardcore and you can hear it in their riffs.

You can see it in their album covers. Their DVD coming out is similar to Like An Everflowing Stream.

Zythifer
RP's left nut tastes like breastmilk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:35 pm 

Well, despite being mostly underground in taste, if I had the opportunity to be part of a crappy yet famous band that would stuff my wallet...I'd fucking do it.

chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:36 am 

I've also seen Dave Williams in A Neurosis shirt once. I believe it was the cover art of Enemy of the Sun.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 am 

LOL he'z just wishing he wuz br00tul and kvlt but he'z a juzt a poseur. I kno thiz becuz i write thiz shit 'n i'm fo real.

Seriously though, he was probably just a fan of Bathory and wanted to show it. If people are so thick that they will believe that Dave Williams was hoping to lock up the Bathory fans by wearing a T-shirt, let them believe it. At least he knew who Bathory is. The worst that can happen is that fans of Drowning Pool will go out and find some Bathory and end up enjoying it. It's not like Drowning Pool fans are going to be end up cluttering a Bathory show (too soon?)

TooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:42 am 

While it is somewhat amusing, there's nothing wrong with corekidz wearing respectable band shirts as long as they listen to the music. Fuck, I wear Burzum shirts to Modest Mouse concerts.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 am 

MeltedFace wrote:
LOL he'z just wishing he wuz br00tul and kvlt but he'z a juzt a poseur. I kno thiz becuz i write thiz shit 'n i'm fo real.

Seriously though, he was probably just a fan of Bathory and wanted to show it. If people are so thick that they will believe that Dave Williams was hoping to lock up the Bathory fans by wearing a T-shirt, let them believe it. At least he knew who Bathory is. The worst that can happen is that fans of Drowning Pool will go out and find some Bathory and end up enjoying it. It's not like Drowning Pool fans are going to be end up cluttering a Bathory show (too soon?)

Perhaps in the afterlife.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:38 am 

TooHuman wrote:
While it is somewhat amusing, there's nothing wrong with corekidz wearing respectable band shirts as long as they listen to the music. Fuck, I wear Burzum shirts to Modest Mouse concerts.

Indie band shirts at metal gigs is good to do because most people presume you know fuck all about metal.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 am 

It's not unheard of for a person of good taste to be in an otherwise shitty band. He probably just likes Bathory.

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:53 am 

chrislyles15 wrote:
I've also seen Dave Williams in A Neurosis shirt once. I believe it was the cover art of Enemy of the Sun.

I've also seen a photo of him in a Darkthrone T-Shirt.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 am 

Why don't you guys just ask him? Oh wait...

Maybe you guys should find better things to talk about than some dead nu-metal douchebag's musical taste.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.