Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:01 pm 

Let's say you had some rare demo tapes that broke that you put a lot of effort into finding, would you still keep it?

The reason I ask this is because today I realized in that eventually the tapes I have will break(the tapes are from the 80's) and I am perplexed as to what I would do once they start breaking. I guess in the next ten years many of the demos tapes from the 80's will stop working, and I actually have a cd that is rotting...

GoatSodomyGasMask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:56 pm 

Put them into a blender and make a milkshake.

Hardly worthy of it's own thread. Keep them if it helps you sleep better at night.

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:05 pm 

If it were a normal dubbed tape, I'd just find the mp3s online and replace the broken tape with a new one.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 am 

Transfer them onto new cassettes, copy the cassette art onto the new cassettes and store the original cassettes.

That way you still have somewhat playable originals but your copies should be pretty much identical anyway. I'd still keep the originals if they were even entirely broken.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:27 am 

Yeah, I am leaning on more of an existential "enjoy them while you can" approach. I probably will keep my favorites....

This really makes me appreciate mp3's.

This topic can be locked now.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 am 

make a dub copy before quality has deteriorated to the point of being unlistenable. assuming you have originals or early generation tape dub, the quality of the dub should be fine.

I have some demo tapes from the 90's. I believe my oldest is an italian thrash metal demo from 1988 or 1989 given to me from a good friend in my area from the 80's. I know about 2-4 old guys, at least two which were very active in tape trading, and a few more guys indirectly through them. I've been given a few demos lately, and they've become treasures to me as someone who has only been into metal for the past 6-7 years and would other wise not have access to this stuff. I play these tapes rarely, for the couple that I really enjoy, i have made copies so that the originals will be preserved for many years to come.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 am 

When my Sane Asylum tape broke, I tacked the art on my wall. Looks kinda cool, I think.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:38 am 

I have a 1985 Hell Awaits cassette and there are no problems with it.

moose_of_doom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 am 

I'm currently in the process of replacing as many demo tapes as possible with re-releases on CD or vinyl.
Except for a lot of the more obscure brutal death metal demos, the replacement process is going very well.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:23 am 

You can exchange the tape case with a good one that has screws, and there are ways to splice the tape, but if it's a tape you like and listen to a lot you should copy it to another medium.

By the way, lately there have been many topics like this one, which belong rather in the Tavern, and if a nice moderator comes along it would get moved there, but more often it pisses off the moderators and gets locked, so please post in the appropriate forum unless you don't care about getting a proper answer.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:35 am 

Well I just want to say I have mp3 of all my tapes, so hopefully that should clear some things up. In some cases I also have reissues on LP and CD.

Durandal1717
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:39 am 

There can only be one solution for broken tapes.

"THIS IS SHAKING BOX MUSIC"

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.