Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 am 

Well, this band has a special place in my heart, I love their early stuff up to Persistence of Time. I guess they are one of the most important acts of thrash Metal of the early days. Their albums with Jon Bush is forgetable (except for the Sound of the White Noise album wich is really good).
Here in the archives they are labeled as a speed/thrash - groove band, but I have to say that I hear a lot of Crossover (or "proto-crossover") there. Bands like Municipal Waste are the obvious link between Crossover and Anthrax, but thats just me. The thread is to see if someone else likes this band, and why, and to discuss the importance of Anthrax for the Metal world.
Not hearsay but the will of man

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 am 

I don't think Anthrax are crossover. Their first two were decent thrash albums but it wasn't until Among the Living that they started to get good. Morbert's review hit the nail on the head, it sounds like pre-Among Anthrax + some Stormtroopers of Death

WAR DAAAANCE :headbang:

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:19 am 

Among The Living is fucking great, and I think it helped the scene develop a sound [as well as a sense of humour] more than most albums.

AtL is the PERFECT sound that thrash should be.

Khomaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:21 am 

A few of the New York thrash band had a bit more of a punk sound in their thrash.

The Bay Area bands did too but to me it seemed like the NY ones made it more apparent.

But not enough to make it crossover.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:29 am 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Here in the archives they are labeled as a speed/thrash - groove band, but I have to say that I hear a lot of Crossover (or "proto-crossover") there. Bands like Municipal Waste are the obvious link between Crossover and Anthrax, but thats just me. The thread is to see if someone else likes this band, and why, and to discuss the importance of Anthrax for the Metal world.

Ok, so you believe that Municipal Waste is the bridge between Anthrax and crossover thrash?

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:35 am 

I like Anthrax okay, but as far as the Big 4 are concerned, Anthrax is my least favorite. I do agree that they brought a bit more energy and humor to the scene and Among the Living is a great album. However, nothing else they have done stands up to the other members of the Big 4.

I don't mind the John Bush era, but it wasn't nearly as good as Belladonna. The first two albums with Bush were okay at best. Bush is much better suited to Armored Saint than Anthrax.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 am 

Anthrax is the winner.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:47 am 

Mezentus wrote:

Agreed.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 pm 

Although early Anthrax were definitely a good band, I wish they were a bit more thrash oriented and had more songs like ''Gung-Ho'' and ''Imitation of Life''. Those tracks are still catchy as fuck, yet pure thrash.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:20 pm 

Their first album is pretty bad...very dated and just not very well developed. I think they quickly fixed all their problems with Spreading the Disease, which to me is still one of their best. They had a great run from that album until Persistance of Time, which strangely happens to be the time period Joe Belladonna was in the band. Very curious indeed.

My beef with ditching him for John Bush is that when I hear Bush's voice, I instantly feel it should be part of an Armored Saint song. He's distinctive to the point where he can only be associated with his original band.

That said, the way they sorta ushered him out with that "classic lineup" reunion is appalling. First they re-record classic material with the "new" lineup and then promptly get rid of the new guys.

Anthrax is one of the very first thrash bands I ever heard and will always have a soft spot with me, but man, they expired awhile ago.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:33 pm 

I have never understood all the praise this band gets. Of all the classic thrash acts they have to the most over rated. Boring and simplistic, but very accessible. The only really good album they did was Sound of White Noise where they benefitted from dropping their old sound. The rest of the Bush albums however are just as boring as all the other Anthrax albums.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:47 pm 

Anthrax will always be one of my favorite bands. However, I hate the John Bush era material. I was happier than ever when they did their 20(?) year anniversary tour/dvd/etc with Joey Belladonna. I was hoping the line up would stick and they would start writting some excellent thrash again. However I was let down big time. This is one of the biggest things that just irritates me. Bush era music sucks and now they are going on their 3rd singer to write more bull shit music when Belladonna is still alive and well.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:57 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Agreed.

Agreed as well

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:58 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
I like Anthrax okay, but as far as the Big 4 are concerned, Anthrax is my least favorite.

Nah, In my case that'd be Megadeth. Apart from KIMB and Peace Sells I rarely listen to them. And lets be honest, all the big4 failed during the nineties.

hole_in_your_chest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:14 pm 

I'd put Anthrax as one of the least important big thrash acts. They had a few good albums, though not my style, but apart from the hip-hop collaboration and their accessibility, there wasn't much there. I like the SOD material more.

I mean, Metallica generated a lot of interest, tied with Megadeth, and Slayer and the Germans set up what would be extreme for more then a decade, and Anthrax just pales in comparison to that.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm 

hole_in_your_chest wrote:
I'd put Anthrax as one of the least important big thrash acts. They had a few good albums, though not my style, but apart from the hip-hop collaboration and their accessibility, there wasn't much there. I like the SOD material more.

I mean, Metallica generated a lot of interest, tied with Megadeth, and Slayer and the Germans set up what would be extreme for more then a decade, and Anthrax just pales in comparison to that.

I disagree. Anthrax gave contrast. Forcussing on anything but being 'evil' or the fastest, or technicality but on the fun of making music and doing whatever you like. And that especially is what made 'Thrax truly stand out and did have more influence than one might think. The influences isn't there in the sense of generating tons of clones like Metallica and Slayer did but in the attitude. Whether you like I'm The Man or not, it started out as a joke on a B-side and turned out so memorable, people still discuss it obviously ;) (Just like S.O.D. hehe)

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:46 pm 

"I'm the Man" is one of the best arguments against the talent of Anthrax.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:46 pm 

I can't remember the last time a band said that Anthrax had a profound influence on them. Seriously.

ShoresOfLakeHuron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Well, this band has a special place in my heart, I love their early stuff up to Persistence of Time.
Member #1 of the Pro-Folk Metal Front

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:13 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
"I'm the Man" is one of the best arguments against the talent of Anthrax.

"I'm the Man" accomplishes exactly what it intends. It fuses rap and metal with humour very well.

hole_in_your_chest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm 

morbert wrote:
I disagree. Anthrax gave contrast. Focusing on anything but being 'evil' or the fastest, or technicality but on the fun of making music and doing whatever you like. And that especially is what made 'Thrax truly stand out and did have more influence than one might think. The influences isn't there in the sense of generating tons of clones like Metallica and Slayer did but in the attitude. Whether you like I'm The Man or not, it started out as a joke on a B-side and turned out so memorable, people still discuss it obviously ;) (Just like S.O.D. hehe)

Which of those (evil, fast, or technical) is Metallica focusing on? And where are these 'Tallica clones?

They really didn't give contrast, though they were innovative. Adding hip-hop to metal was quite an idea, and if it'd worked out, I might rate them higher. As it stands, it seems more like a failed experiment.

EDIT:Typo.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:19 pm 

Which of those (evil, fast, or technical) is Metallica focusing on?

First two.
And where are these 'Tallica clones?

Right behind you.
They really didn't give contrast,

By being different they didn't give contrast?

Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:35 pm 

Anthrax have done some great stuff over the years, both with Joey and John. I always liked John far more as a vocalist both with Anthrax and Armored Saint, but Joey's singing fit with those classic albums he was on. Overall I consider Persistence of Time and Sound of White Noise my favorites by them. I am not happy with the current state of Anthrax and am not all that interested in th upcoming new disc. Its a shame both Joey and John got fucked over like they did.

vigilius_haufniensis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 pm 

I don't think I'll ever get why so many people cream in their pants over Among the Living. For me, the first Anthrax album (Fistful of Metal) is the best, and then they get gradually worse from there, until Sound of White Noise when they are complete and utter shit. Anthrax is just too damn poppy and catchy for my taste. It's fun to listen to a song or two here and there, but I can't take full albums of this stuff. Yet it isn't necessarily the "punkish" aspects I don't like, I like all kinds of punk and crossover. Anthrax just feel weak and thin and commercial to me. Part of me wants to like it more, seeing as how influential they are and the respect they have among the metal community, etc., but at the end of the day, they're just OK. I'd like to see what would have happened is Neil Turbin stuck around a little longer. Whatever happened to that guy?

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:

Ok, so you believe that Municipal Waste is the bridge between Anthrax and crossover thrash?

No, I´m saying that bands like MW sounds a lot like Anthrax, and they are labeled as crossover. Songs like I am tha law, Stand or Fall or Aftershock are Thrash/Crossover to my ears, but thats just me.
I don't know about this new singer, I've lost Anthrax trace after Stomp 442, so, is there any good release?
Not hearsay but the will of man

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:16 pm 

morbert wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Agreed.

Agreed as well

God damn, with all this hype I'm going to have to dig up my copy of it!

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:25 pm 

I only have Spreading the Disease. It's a pretty good album. I'll probably listen to it after I get off here. When I heard the first few seconds or so of "Gung Ho", I said to myself "I hope they don't screw this up and slow down". They didn't slow down and play a boring, plodding riff and it's probably one of their better songs.It's one of my favourites off that album. Some of the songs ("Madhouse" for example) sound mid-tempo in comparison to other thrash bands, but they're still good songs. The vocalist on that album reminded me of James Labrie at times.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:27 pm 

Persistence Of Time is my favourite Anthrax record. Among The Living is good too but I've always liked POT more. State Of Euphoria is also better than people often say it is and that album really needs a re-evaluation. The Bush era is mostly decent with Sound Of White Noise being the best album from that period. I don't have much interest in the band now that both Bush and Belladonna are gone.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:32 pm 

I think I read the title of the new album was Worship Music. Most people have probably given up hopes of Anthrax creating an album they like long ago, and the ones that haven't might not be as optimistic with a title like that.

hole_in_your_chest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:36 pm 

AlbertMond wrote:
Which of those (evil, fast, or technical) is Metallica focusing on?

First two.

No. Slayer was focused on being evil. Megadeth was focused on fast. If the kids that released ...And Justice for All were focused on speed or anti-morality, then there is little hope for you. Hell, Metal Church required a faster drummer, and they've never been that fast.

AlbertMond wrote:

Right behind you.

Good one. Got an example of a 'Tallica clone, or did you think that wit was enough?

AlbertMond wrote:
They really didn't give contrast,

By being different they didn't give contrast?

They really weren't all that different.

EDIT: Weird quotes.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:08 pm 

I consider Among the Living to probably be their best, but my personal favorite is easily Fistful of Metal. What a great fucking slab of thrash, it's also probably their most underrated (next to Persistence of Time). Fistful of Metal's vocalist (god dammit I can never remember his name) is by far their best and holy shit Metal Thrashing Mad is a kickass song. :metal:

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:38 pm 

I prefer Anthrax's not so important albums. Despite what anyone says, Fistful of Metal was 80% traditional/speed/power and 20% thrash, if even that, and even Spreading the Disease was no thrashier than Kill 'Em All or Metal Church's S/T (both written before Anthrax's). However, they're still both really solid and enjoyable. Among the Living was a huge innovation in that it brought unfunny humor, whiffle, and groove to thrash all simultaneously. Of course, that's also why it's one of the worst thrash albums around.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm 

Eh, I could never get into Anthrax. I always thought they were boring after listening to Persistence of Time and Among the Living. I didn't really see anything good about them. I mean Megadeth had speed and awesome riffs, Slayer with being evil, speed, and aggression, etc. Anthrax has... punk? Meh, I'd rather listen to Overkill.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 pm 

Overkill is the definition of redundancy in music. ;)

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:45 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I can't remember the last time a band said that Anthrax had a profound influence on them. Seriously.

Probably because they are a mediocre and wholly unneccessary band. More proof that thrash had many inexplicably popular bands just like it does today.
Their infamous side project actually produced better music, which says a lot.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:57 pm 

kwellada wrote:

No, that would be testament.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:04 pm 

FragKrag wrote:
kwellada wrote:

No, that would be testament.

Maybe he means that Overkill, by their mere existence, made most other thrash acts redundant.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:19 pm 

AlbertMond wrote:

Right behind you.

Good one. Got an example of a 'Tallica clone, or did you think that wit was enough?

It's quite evident you've never heard of Slammer or Xentrix.

invoked wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Probably because they are a mediocre and wholly unneccessary band. More proof that thrash had many inexplicably popular bands just like it does today.
Their infamous side project actually produced better music, which says a lot.

Anthrax is a hit-singles driven band. They've always had one or two awesome, catchy songs on their early albums, but nothing else besides that. 'Madhouse', 'Got The Time?', and 'Efilnikufesin' are a few examples. I'm not one to rag on a band because I question their extremity, but Anthrax really only has "catchy" going for them. Hell, I can get "catchy" as well as "fast", and "heavy" out of bands such as Metal Church and Exodus.

However, I still hold the fact high that Fistful Of Metal is one fine fucking piece of thrash metal.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 pm 

Among The Living had the best use of gang vocals in metal by far. Only Vio-lence ever came close. I agree that Anthrax definitely has the catchy thing going for them, but they're much catchier then Exodus and Metal Church ever were (well, Metal Church would get extremely catchy with Hanging In The Balance, but that was after they dropped the thrash in their sound).

hole_in_your_chest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:35 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
It's quite evident you've never heard of Slammer or Xentrix.

I never have heard of Slammer, but I've never thought "Hey this sounds like Metallica" when listening to For Whose Advantage. Maybe that's just me, and it's not like I have that in rotation, so, maybe.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next