Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ihunggod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:32 pm 

Soup wrote:
Windir. R.I.P. Terje

Although not related to the thread, I just wish Sodom would tour N. America.

I live in NYC and saw Sodom just over a year or so ago...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:39 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
A lot of the ones that I'd like to see such as Fates Warning 1986 and raising Chuck Schuldiner from the dead have already been mentioned, so I'll just put up the ones that haven't been mentioned yet.

Black Sabbath circa "The Headless Cross" and "Tyr", but with Vinnie Appice as Cozy Powell won't be coming back, though I wish that were possible too. The epic atmosphere that was achieved on those albums was absolutely mind blowing.

Darkthrone getting Zephyrous and Dag Nilsen back together to re-record Goatlord in the epic death style it was intended for. This one would not need to be a long term reunion with additional albums as I like their current output as well, but that album would be so much better for it.

I actually love "Goatlord" as is, and you probably think I'm crazy for it, but I'd still be interested in hearing how they'd redo it today.

It'd be great if Mercyful Fate got their original lineup together to at least do some shows. I think Mike Denner was more irreplaceable ahan people realise as things just weren't the same without him around. Kim Ruz too .. the man is just really charismatic on the drums and it'd be amazing to witness performances from the whole lot today.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:40 pm 

Celtic Frost.

I really really enjoyed Monotheist, and would be greatly thrilled to hear they got back together.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:42 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:
Celtic Frost.

I really really enjoyed Monotheist, and would be greatly thrilled to hear they got back together.

As would I. I really think they're gone for good this time, though. Ah well, at least they went out with a fucking bang.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

johngood87
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:52 pm 

tarja back in nightwish. i just recently got into nightwish and if you ever hear annette do the old songs live... it just saddens me.

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 pm 

In Flames without Daniel and Peter
and Tarja and Sami back in Nightwish

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:09 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
I don't necessarily wish that they were STILL around given their recent outputs in their respective bands, but I would be interested in hearing how Metallica would have sounded on the first few albums if the lineup was Hetfield/Ulrich/Mustaine/Burton.

This would be the best reunion ever, the Burton-era of Metallica was the real Metallica-era.

Manowar with Ross the Boss; Fighting the World and Kings of Metal are by far their best. Ross the Boss' New Metal Leader was ok but would have been awesome if performed by Manowar.

Nightwish with Tarja: Annette is not bad, but Tarja had that magical opera voice.
johngood87 wrote:
tarja back in nightwish. i just recently got into nightwish and if you ever hear annette do the old songs live... it just saddens me.

Mmm, I've seen them and they only played from Once (which isn't that operatic) and Dark Passion Play, with two exceptions. It seems like they forsake their earlier work...

Last edited by Lord_Lexy on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
superchef79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 pm 

cannibal corpse with chris barnes and jesse leach with killswitch engage

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:26 pm 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
Manowar with Ross the Boss; Fighting the World and Kings of Metal are by far their best. Ross the Boss' New Metal Leader was ok but would have been awesome if performed by Manowar.

Hear hear! I agree.
I still liked some songs on Triumph Of Steel but it was really downhill from there. Boss' new album is indeed pretty sweet but imagining Eric Adams singing on it...damn
Could've been a more than decent Manowar album, Manowar themselves haven't written anything close in 17 years...

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:31 pm 

morbert wrote:
Lord_Lexy wrote:

Hear hear! I agree.
I still liked some songs on Triumph Of Steel but it was really downhill from there. Boss' new album is indeed pretty sweet but imagining Eric Adams singing on it...damn
Could've been a more than decent Manowar album, Manowar themselves haven't written anything close in 17 years...

Yep! Triumph of Steel had indeed decent songs (The Power of Thy Sword! The Demon's Whip!).
What I really don't understand is all the keyboard stuff on their two latest albums. I even read in the booklet from Fighting the World:
"No Synths, No Pedals, No Wimps
Just Power, Metal and Might"

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:55 pm 

morbert wrote:
Lord_Lexy wrote:

Hear hear! I agree.

Triumph Of Steel is a shit album as far as I'm concerned - 2/3 worthwhile songs but you know I can't be too forgiving towards that opening number. I'll always maintain that Ross the Boss was the best thing about Manowar instrumentally. Joey and Eric seem to get far more credit than Ross, but the guy's a phenomenal guitarist.

Seconding Fates Warning with John Arch, of course. I'd like to see Motorhead back with Wurzel in the fold on 2nd guitar again, he's still excellent and I think they lost a little something without him. Also seconding Mercyful Fate with the complete original line-up; the drummer has been neglected too often, but he's absolutely perfect for their style, I just think he didn't get on too well with the others. I saw him (or someone who was pretending to be him, which would be strange) posting on blabbermouth saying how he'd love to see them reform.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:57 pm 

johngood87 wrote:

Personally, I think Anette does a fine job with the older songs.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:04 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
I'd go with the classic Danzig line-up consisting of old wolf Glenn, John Christ, Eerie Von and Chuck Biscuits. Danzig never sounded as awesome.

This is very true. The quality of his music dropped considerably when Danzig dropped those guys. The first three albums and the Thrall-Demonsweatlive EP were awesome.

Don't forget 4P!!! Awesome album and quite underrated imo. It doesn't rock as hard as the first 3, but it's filled with mellow gems and some great moods.

Blackacidevil was his lowpoint, 666 was a slight improvement (some good songs, but mostly very average ones) I Luceferi had good potential, but felt rushed a bit and Circle of Snakes was a good album, his best in years actually, but it was kinda plagued by a botched production imo.

planiol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:18 pm 

Moonblood.

Pantera.

Obituary with James Murphy, ala Cause of Death.

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:46 pm 

Old Entombed. I have a theory that the Entombed we see now are just robots that have hidden the real Entombed in a giant box with a question mark on it in the sky. Like those ones on Super Mario. One of us has to get high on mushrooms, turn into a giant, smash our heads off of the bottom side of the box to realease the REAL Entombed, however the person who releases them dies.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 pm 

I really wish Arcturus would get back together with Garm, although he's kind of off his rocker now. :roll: You honestly couldn't expect a band to end with something like Sideshow Symphonies.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:31 pm 

I cant believe no ones even said it yet..

Kill Em All/Master Of Puppets/Ride The Lightning line up meaning... CLIFF BURTON (RIP). It would also be interesting to see where Metallica would of gone if Mustaine was never kicked out of the band.

Also I wish Sepultura and Anthrax had their original line-up still in-tact.

Blackened_Griever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:56 pm 

To/die/for, they have been like 4 days splitted but I miss them already.

Jani Limatainen with Sonata Arctica, I don't hace anything against Elias, but Jani took a big part of Sonata when he left

And Sentenced with Mika Tenkula, but he is dead, so fuck it.
Member #2 of the Pro-Folk Metal Front

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:53 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Not really metal, but who wouldn't love to see the original Guns N' Roses lineup?

I think they're boring.

Abominatrix wrote:
It'd be great if Mercyful Fate got their original lineup together to at least do some shows. I think Mike Denner was more irreplaceable ahan people realise as things just weren't the same without him around.

Michael Denner seems to be a pretty underrated guitarist. I enjoyed the guitar parts I heard from him, though. "The Black Horsemen" ends beautifully (that solo and the drum part before it are a great ending to the album...nice conclusion to the tale).

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
johngood87 wrote:

Personally, I think Anette does a fine job with the older songs.

Agreed, though I wouldn't mind a reunion with Tarja.

Anyways, After Forever has already been mentioned, I can sort of remember Death getting a mention (no matter how impossible it would be), so I'm pretty empty. I'll just second those two because I'd almost die of happiness if either happened.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:08 pm 

Tarja sucks and I don't see why people value her so much. She only really sounds good when she's doing the non-operatic-type vocals.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:35 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I really wish Arcturus would get back together with Garm, although he's kind of off his rocker now. :roll: You honestly couldn't expect a band to end with something like Sideshow Symphonies.

Definately Arcturus, but doesn't have to be with Garm. You do know Arcturus' songwriter war Sverd all along, right? Poor songwriting and really puny production killed Sideshow Symphonies, not the vocals. I say either Garm or Vortex, just bring Arcturus back :(

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:40 pm 

KosherCarnage wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

definitely Arcturus, but doesn't have to be with Garm. You do know Arcturus' songwriter war Sverd all along, right? Poor songwriting and really puny production killed Sideshow Symphonies, not the vocals. I say either Garm or Vortex, just bring Arcturus back :(

Hmm, didn't know that. But I personally think the vocals hurt too; Vortex goes about singing on that CD like he was punched in the nose or kicked in the nuts. Nothing against him otherwise; I'm really fond of his work in Borknagar (namely Quintessence) and Dimmu Borgir. But on SS he wasn't up to snuff.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:48 pm 

Annihilator with Randy Rampage on vocals

Revengeance
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:51 pm 

The lineup from Testament's "The Gathering" is probably the closest thing to a dream team I've ever seen. The ONLY fault I could find in that album was the lack of solos, which could have been fixed on future releases. I suppose in that regard, if we threw Skolnick back in and kicked Murphy, it might have solved that problem (I believe that was the lineup for First Strike, but that wasn't new material), but I can't say for sure that Murphy wasn't a significant part of the writing. Needless to say, DiGiorgio and Lombardo give me metal-boners, and I love Testament's sound(s).

A second would probably be the Candlemass lineup from Dactylis Glomerata. Everything Leif Eidling and Mike Ammot touch turn to gold, in my opinion. So Had they been able to actually work together on material, rather than have Ammot just throw down some backseat solos woulda been cool; and they could keep the "abstrakt" (progressive) doom vibe, I dig that.

obZen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:01 pm 

First thing I thought of was Arcturus when I read the thread title.

Doesn't matter who. Garm or Vortex. Although, if it says anything, I thought La Masquerade Infernale was their best effort.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:40 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
KosherCarnage wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

definitely Arcturus, but doesn't have to be with Garm. You do know Arcturus' songwriter war Sverd all along, right? Poor songwriting and really puny production killed Sideshow Symphonies, not the vocals. I say either Garm or Vortex, just bring Arcturus back :(

Hmm, didn't know that. But I personally think the vocals hurt too; Vortex goes about singing on that CD like he was punched in the nose or kicked in the nuts. Nothing against him otherwise; I'm really fond of his work in Borknagar (namely Quintessence) and Dimmu Borgir. But on SS he wasn't up to snuff.

Sure he had lots of... hmm.. awkward moments on Sideshow.. but the delivery on Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer was one of his best and Hibernation Sickness Complete was also nicely done. The production kinda made everything on that record sound wimpy, so it's kinda hard to judge. He's done a great job on their dvd though, so I still think he deserves some credit for that and his legendary guest vocals on La Masquerade.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:55 pm 

RUNNING WILD

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:57 pm 

Immortal, with the Occultas. there was none more grim nor frostbitten.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:01 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:

Oh yes. They used to make him wear thermo pads in his boots so he wouldn't be frozen to the ground at all times.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:04 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:

Oh yes. They used to make him wear thermo pads in his boots so he wouldn't be frozen to the ground at all times.

:hail:

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:35 am 

The_Boss wrote:
The Crown with Johan Lindstrand on vocals.

Deathrace King, Crowned in Terror... 2 albums that will stand the test of time. Pure all out deathrash metal that will never tire in my ear. :bow:

You mean Crowned Unholy right? Crowned In Terror had Tomas.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:24 am 

Savatage

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:19 am 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
Savatage

But only if they bring Criss Oliva back from the dead.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 am 

Deucalion wrote:
KC_Slaanesh wrote:
Not really metal, but who wouldn't love to see the original Guns N' Roses lineup?

I think they're boring.

Abominatrix wrote:
It'd be great if Mercyful Fate got their original lineup together to at least do some shows. I think Mike Denner was more irreplaceable ahan people realise as things just weren't the same without him around.

Michael Denner seems to be a pretty underrated guitarist. I enjoyed the guitar parts I heard from him, though. "The Black Horsemen" ends beautifully (that solo and the drum part before it are a great ending to the album...nice conclusion to the tale).

Yes, yes, oh yes! Michael Denner is undeniably fantastic and indeed one of my favourite guitarists. His solos are always beautifully crafted and have a real melodic quality - just look at his efforts on 'Evil', 'The Oath', 'Dressed in White' and as you said, 'Black Horsemen'. Shermann's cool and all but Denner is just something else! King Diamond really lost something when Denner left, it's one of many reasons why Abigail is such a classic.

ManofWar55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:01 am 

Lost Horizon with Daniel.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:46 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Yes, yes, oh yes! Michael Denner is undeniably fantastic and indeed one of my favourite guitarists. His solos are always beautifully crafted and have a real melodic quality - just look at his efforts on 'Evil', 'The Oath', 'Dressed in White' and as you said, 'Black Horsemen'. Shermann's cool and all but Denner is just something else! King Diamond really lost something when Denner left, it's one of many reasons why Abigail is such a classic.

"Dressed in White" is great, too. I like LaRocque, as well, but I think that Denner should be recognized for what he did. Denner's solos were just as good as LaRocque's (if not better at times).

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:15 pm 

Gorgoroth "Under the Sign of Hell" lineup.. oh nvm! =)

In all things considered, I really wish Ulver's old "Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler" line up would be created again. That album is such an amazing piece of work that only that line up has ever done so well. That would be amazing.

Another collaberation album between Sun O))) and Boris would kickass. Altar was such a great album, and you can tell that the two bands work well together.

Another Windir album would be freakin amazing if Valfar could come back from the dead somehow. Yes, the rest of the windir line up did go on to create a band much of the same sound, but it just isn't the same without Valfar being a part of the band.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 pm 

ManofWar55 wrote:
Lost Horizon with Daniel.

Definitely that one and if you could say bands that are impossible in reality, I say Death. I would also want Cannibal Corpse with the original line up to still be intact.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:38 pm 

Cirith Ungol - Such a cool fucking band that deserved more fame. Their songs vary from being straight forward heavy metal or epic doom-ish. The vocalist's performance is one of the strangest I have ever heard, but it really adds up to the atmosphere of "true fucking metal".

Morbid Saint- What is there to say?

Fates Warning w/ John Arch - Easily one of the best power metal bands...until 1988. No Exit was amazing, but I'd rather have Arch in the band.

Helloween original line-up - The EP and Walls Of Jericho are some of the best works of metal. I don't care is Hansen's voice was nasal, whiny, annoying or whatever they say. I don't give a shit if the production was sloppy or the band developed as musicians later on. Helloween was never this good again and will never be this kick-ass again.

Kai Hansen: Vocals/Lead & Rhythm Guitars
Michael Weikath: Lead & Rhythm Guitars
Markus Grosskopf: Bass Guitar
Ingo Schwichtenberg(R.I.P): Drums

:bow:
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next