Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:08 am 

So it's come to my attention that most people into black metal still want everything to sound like it came out in 1992, assuming that they aren't radical enough to say that all black metal must sound like Venom's Welcome to Hell.

Welcome to Hell came out in 1980, that's almost thirty years ago. I simply dont' understand why progress is seen as a bad thing in black metal and why any deviation in style is considered to be "selling out" despite the fact that NOBODY gets rich by paying black metal (except for Cradle of Filth and they simply suck) and bashing bands for experimenting is holding black metal back.

Moreover, I actually like some atmospheric black metal (Summoning), blackened crust (Blackthrone and newer Darkthrone), DSBM (Xasthur), progressive black metal (Enslaved), melodic black metal (Astarte), blackened grindcore (Anaal Nathrakh), industrial black metal (Samael) and even the godfather of all poser genres, SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL (Emperor and Rotting Christ).

Yeah, I know that I'm a poser for liking Emperor who were singled out by Sarcofago as being in it for the money and I honestly don't care. I like being a poser since it means that I can be open minded and I can wear a death or thrash metal shirt to a black metal show and not care what you think about me. In fact, I'd do it just to make elitist squirm since death metal has been taken over by trendy scenesters and ironic hipsters who LOVE wearing gory T-shirts and thrash metal is undergoing a revival which means that Hot Topic is going to be selling a bunch of thrash merch in the near future.

In short, I don't think that black metal is the only genre in metal worth listening to and I'm way too open minded to ever become a trve kvlt elitist and I feel that black metal musicians should be allowed to take the genre as far as they can without being afraid of alienating their fanbase.

I think that it's time for all posers to unite and state that metal as a whole is good, metal existed before Venom, and that there's nothing wrong with artistic experimentation. (And yes, if you aren't an ultra-elitist black metaller who won't listen to anything post 1996, then by today's standards, you're a poser. Get over it and use the term as a badge of honor.)

Last edited by TheMancubus on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:11 am 

ibtl

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:12 am 

Well, I disagree with all of that.

Is there any way to do a thread merge with this topic: http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=49329

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:14 am 

I have no clue what the fuck you are talking about.

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:18 am 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:

Is there any way to do a thread merge with this topic: http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=49329

HAH, I totally agree with the OP in the article that you brought up. Most "trve kvlt" kids totally take a scene that they were never there to experience firsthand and act like Deathcrush was THEIR album and they can totally understand the mentality of the black metal inner circle without having even beeing in Norway during the time of Euronymous.

And for the record, this entire thread had to come about due to this one guy that in one of my classes who only listens to laste 80s/early 90s stuff without any regard as to the excellence of the mid 80s thrash and first wave black metal and really came down upon me in a patronising tone. It was at that moment that I realized that I'm a poser for liking Morbid Angel after Alters of Madness, and more inportantly, I wsa no longer afraid of the label.

Living in the past and being negative towards newer bands will only damage the future of the genre. If the most active that you'll get into the metal scene is by being a Blabbertroll rather than trying to form a new band that pushes metal in new directions, then you should seriously GTFO.

The internet has killed the underground. Listening to obscure bands is no longer a sign of being elite since everything is on Myspace now. Trve today means indulging yourself in an unchanging past and keeping yourself far away from underground acts, especially the ones that try something different (look up The Nemesis Theory and Something Beautiful if you want to hear some of the most original metal from this decade that never made it big.)

I don't see what's so appealing about being old school when you're 21 when there are 35-year-old metal vets that were actually there for the second wave of black metal and first wave of death metal who still try to organize local shows to keep metal alive. Being young and calling metal dead just means that there is one more person who might as well listen to pop music, the difference is that Bolt Thrower shits aren't sold at Hot Topic and cost about $80 on ebay just so you can prove how metal you are, or even worse, buying shirts from shitty local grind bands that you have no interest in just so you have a shirt that nobody else does. It's just a shirt and I'd rather my money go to an act that is still touring so that they can eat rather than some 9-5 office workers who don't even take their music seriously.

Last edited by TheMancubus on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:38 am 

Cant we all just fucking listen to metal and enjoy it for what it is instead of giving a fuck what anybody thinks?

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:47 am 

I Am the Law wrote:
ibtl
I'll call, and raise you a tl;dr

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:48 am 

RevBau wrote:
Cant we all just fucking listen to metal and enjoy it for what it is instead of giving a fuck what anybody thinks?

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:51 am 

RevBau wrote:
Not you. You listen to deathcore. Therefore you're the enemy. :snipe:

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:53 am 

:lol:

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 am 

TheMancubus wrote:
Let the flaming begin.

The OP of any thread sets the tone for all further discussion, and since metal is kinda up there with religion and politics in getting peoples blood-a-boilin', you should really consider word choice when constructing your OP.

Instead of what might possibly be an interesting discussion, you start things up with the above quoted statement which leads to garbage posts like "IBTL" - and I Am the Law, ironically you are not the law around here, and those that sheriff these parts have been known to lay down the banhammer on worthless, insipid replies like the one you decided to post.

I'm not a mod, but the people who have replied to the OP (as well and the OP themself) really have a long way to go before they will be taken seriously; this is just a waste of keystrokes as it stands.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:03 am 

TheMancubus wrote:
...and even the godfather of all poser genres, SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL (Emperor and Rotting Christ).

... what the shit? Did I miss the black metal meeting elitist wherein it was decided that all symphonic metal was sellout 'poser' shit? And how in the hell is Rotting Christ a symphonic black metal outfit?

Regardless, it's not change that most of us fear, it's when the word "change" is used in place of "replacing black metal elements with elements from pop music". It's really not all that often that you hear black metal that actually sounds different, and Enslaved isn't one of them. hell, they're more like a blackened progressive metal outfit now. Big fucking deal.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
TheMancubus wrote:
Let the flaming begin.

The OP of any thread sets the tone for all further discussion, and since metal is kinda up there with religion and politics in getting peoples blood-a-boilin', you should really consider word choice when constructing your OP.

Instead of what might possibly be an interesting discussion, you start things up with the above quoted statement which leads to garbage posts like "IBTL" - and I Am the Law, ironically you are not the law around here, and those that sheriff these parts have been known to lay down the banhammer on worthless, insipid replies like the one you decided to post.

I'm not a mod, but the people who have replied to the OP (as well and the OP themself) really have a long way to go before they will be taken seriously; this is just a waste of keystrokes as it stands.

Fixed. I'm just typically cynical and sarcastic.

And I once got banned in the past under a different name for making a joke about Job for a Cowboy's Doom being bad to the point where it's funny. I feel like I'm going to get banned for something totally innocent that doesn't violate TOS on this site so I might as well get banned by making a post that will get people thinking about whether excessive elitism to the point where you simply can't enjoy now music is a good thing.

I hate deathcore as much as the next guy but I feel that being underground for it's own sake is pointless. And yeah, scene kids who wear The Devil Wears Prada shirts to death metal shows are just as annoying to me as people who won't even give Cesspool of Vermin a chance because they're a really new band.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:20 am 

Nothing poser about liking early Emperor, and definitely nothing poser about liking Rotting Christ, which isn't symphonic black metal. I also don't see many people badmouthing Anaal Nathrakh, which is good because they're awesome, so not all kinds of black experimentation is poorly received by the general metal populace.

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Nothing poser about liking early Emperor, and definitely nothing poser about liking Rotting Christ, which isn't symphonic black metal. I also don't see many people badmouthing Anaal Nathrakh, which is good because they're awesome, so not all kinds of black experimentation is poorly received by the general metal populace.

Yeah, but as I posted earlier, I do know people who consider those poser bands and when I mentioned Anaal Nathrakh to this one guy, he just looked at me like I had no idea what real metal was despite the fact that I listen to the same stuff as him, except I'm also a fan of Dream Theater, Mr. Bungle, and Orphaned Land which I'm not even going to bother mentioning to him since he keeps trying to be so ultra elite and is afraid of liking something different. (And if he thinks that he liked early Darkthrone the first time that he heard them, then he's kidding himself. TH is a total grower album that takes repeated listens to get.)

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:38 am 

TheMancubus wrote:
Yeah, but as I posted earlier, I do know people who consider those poser bands and when I mentioned Anaal Nathrakh to this one guy, he just looked at me like I had no idea what real metal was despite the fact that I listen to the same stuff as him, except I'm also a fan of Dream Theater, Mr. Bungle, and Orphaned Land which I'm not even going to bother mentioning to him since he keeps trying to be so ultra elite and is afraid of liking something different. (And if he thinks that he liked early Darkthrone the first time that he heard them, then he's kidding himself. TH is a total grower album that takes repeated listens to get.)

I can definitely see where you're coming from here. I mean, personally, I consider Anaal Nathrakh to be a bit crap, and I liked TH the first time I heard it, and I refuse to try Mr. Bungle or Orphaned Land. So if anybody wants to come out and say the TheMancubus is attacking straw men, I'll personally vouch that there really are people like that out there.

Pando
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:43 am 

It's spelt poseur.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:57 am 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:

Believe it or not, the board software is so barebones that it only allows for thread splits, rather than thread merges. Not that it really matters....were I to merge every iteration of this so-called "minority" stance (what a fucking laugh that intimation is) into a single thread, it would require a forum of its own simply to contain.

As is typical of his sect, the OP has made a number of glaring errors, both factual and analytical. He has grossly overstated the numbers and prevalence of his designated foes, has grossly misrepresented the actual position that his designated foes tend to take, and has failed to display the empathy that his kind so prides itself on. A few things to help you in the future:

1. The people that you are actually addressing (as opposed to those you think you are addressing) are very much like you. They are youths struggling to form a personal identity for themselves: they form MySpace LLN covens; you preach messianic pride in the public square. Just as you once saw fit to besmirch the innocent artists in JFAC (they were only doing their own thing; finding fault was most elitist of you), so do they turn their slight, be-pimpled backs to the new and different. The ritual is different, but its meaning is the same. Know and take comfort in the fact that someday soon most of these people will be feeling and acting just as you are now...perhaps the next time some kid says something mean to them in 2nd period biology. Insecurity is the mother of reinvention, you see.

2. Following from point 1, take comfort in the knowledge that your sect is the dominant group, both numerically and in terms of prevailing rhetoric. There is no need to fear that your creed is teetering on the brink of annilhilation; quite the opposite, in fact--it is teetering on the brink of orthodoxy. If one is to speak of "most people", one is to speak of you. History has again repeated itself, and lo and behold, one of the most cherished of Biblical prophecies has been borne out.

In summation, have no fear. Those persons who vex you so by failing to warmly affirm your every affectation are merely going through a youthful phase, and will soon convert. They can hardly be accused of doing much in the way of "holding metal back"; quite the contrary. Since they will soon be as you are, they will be the wind beneath its polished chrome wings, yes?

Those persons who really ARE holding metal back, now...that is, those persons you think you have been addressing, and who you so thoroughly confuse with Vlad Tepes fan MySpace page inmate #567--should not be seen as much of a credible threat. They rarely speak anymore, and barely above a whisper when they do. If your all-encompassing philanthropy leads you to desire to hear that whisper (so that you might more fully free yourself from the shackles of oppression, perhaps), well.....perhaps we'll talk once one of you actually manages to address our real position.

Now, since that other thread is going, and had a more substantial opening post, you and the rest of the chosen can take your immaculate plastic pyx over there and continue the revival. In the future, you might want to think things through a little more before posting whatever transparent parable comes into your little head, lest I once again put six shells through my boomstick and knock those lovely green eyes of yours out onto the Archive's cold stone floor.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.