Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
halfformedfetus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:12 am
Posts: 407
Location: the Matrix
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:55 am 
 

is anyone into this band? it seems i havnt met 1 metal head yet that loves them like i do! where are all the Ophthalamia fans and any merch?

Top
 Profile  
Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 487
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:02 am 
 

I just listened to the songs on the myspace and I must say that these guys are really damn good. Thanks for opening my eyes to another good band. Many kudos.
_________________
Eurnonymous wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church: Making Dio fans fap hard for God since 2010.


My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Top
 Profile  
WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 pm
Posts: 2907
Location: Presidio Modelo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:44 am 
 

Their music is quite boring and inferior to the rest of It's projects, especially Vondur. I mean, they have a few okay riffs here and there but the songs drag on ad infinitum and then all momentum is lost.

I recall seeing an Ophthalamia patch on Abyss Records recently.

Top
 Profile  
Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 487
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:25 am 
 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Their music is quite boring and inferior to the rest of It's projects, especially Vondur. I mean, they have a few okay riffs here and there but the songs drag on ad infinitum and then all momentum is lost.

I recall seeing an Ophthalamia patch on Abyss Records recently.


For what's it worth, Ophthalmia seems to be wider received than Vondur. So to call them inferior to Vondur seems to be some sort of falsehood, when, to me, it seems that Vondur is the inferior band.
_________________
Eurnonymous wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church: Making Dio fans fap hard for God since 2010.


My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Top
 Profile  
WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 pm
Posts: 2907
Location: Presidio Modelo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:02 am 
 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
For what's it worth, Ophthalmia seems to be wider received than Vondur. So to call them inferior to Vondur seems to be some sort of falsehood, when, to me, it seems that Vondur is the inferior band.
Since when does popularity indicate quality?

Top
 Profile  
DaBuddha
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:30 pm
Posts: 1298
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 am 
 

I've loved Ophthalamia ever since I heard Via Dolorosa. I love how the riffs just melt together and the song lengths are not a bother to me. I just love it.
_________________
Winds and storms embrace us now
Lay waste the light of day
Open gates to darker lands
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Top
 Profile  
Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:14 pm
Posts: 1130
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:16 am 
 

According to a reliable source, IT might be putting together a new Ophthalamia album.
_________________
Shutdown wrote:
blashyrkh497 wrote:
I just got banned from the fuckin chatroom. Why??? I didnt do anything

<blashyrkh497> blashyrhk 497 jacks off on amoeba's face

Top
 Profile  
Mezentus
Blood on my hands

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:23 pm
Posts: 1246
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:34 am 
 

I love the Opthalamia cover of "Deathcrush" when contributing to the tribute to Euronymous [A Nordic Tribute...], and that inspired me to get "A Journey In Darkness"... wonderful album!! Such riffing and atmosphere that portrays a beautiful.. *ahem* journey in darkness.

Any other albums I should check out?

Top
 Profile  
wight_ghoul
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:44 pm
Posts: 294
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 pm 
 

Mezentus wrote:
Any other albums I should check out?

Via Dolorosa, most definitely. Compared to that one their other albums all look fairly 'ordinary.' Via Dolorosa is unique, great 'live' sounding production, lengthy, meandering, hypnotic songs that follow the same formula (or lack of a formula), you keep wanting to hear what riff comes next. Fairly subdued atmosphere for such an extremely melodic album, the relaxed pace of the songs probably helps. Even the standard black metal vocals don't seem particularly grating in this context.

Top
 Profile  
DaBuddha
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:30 pm
Posts: 1298
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:56 am 
 

Third_of_the_Storms wrote:
According to a reliable source, IT might be putting together a new Ophthalamia album.


This is true. I spoke to IT on myspace a while ago and he even posted a blog about it on his official page. There may be another War album too.
_________________
Winds and storms embrace us now
Lay waste the light of day
Open gates to darker lands
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Top
 Profile  
Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 487
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:18 am 
 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
For what's it worth, Ophthalmia seems to be wider received than Vondur. So to call them inferior to Vondur seems to be some sort of falsehood, when, to me, it seems that Vondur is the inferior band.
Since when does popularity indicate quality?


I never once stated that popularity made something good. I was saying the overall consensus for the two bands showed that Ophthalmia to be the more accepted band of the two.
_________________
Eurnonymous wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church: Making Dio fans fap hard for God since 2010.


My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Top
 Profile  
VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 1481
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:57 am 
 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
For what's it worth, Ophthalmia seems to be wider received than Vondur. So to call them inferior to Vondur seems to be some sort of falsehood, when, to me, it seems that Vondur is the inferior band.
Since when does popularity indicate quality?


I never once stated that popularity made something good. I was saying the overall consensus for the two bands showed that Ophthalmia to be the more accepted band of the two.


You make it sound very much like because more people like Opthalmia, that they are a better band. That is really irrelevant, since quality is subjective.
_________________
"History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever."

Top
 Profile  
WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 pm
Posts: 2907
Location: Presidio Modelo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 am 
 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
For what's it worth, Ophthalmia seems to be wider received than Vondur. So to call them inferior to Vondur seems to be some sort of falsehood, when, to me, it seems that Vondur is the inferior band.
Since when does popularity indicate quality?


I never once stated that popularity made something good. I was saying the overall consensus for the two bands showed that Ophthalmia to be the more accepted band of the two.
Well in your first post in this thread, you stated that this was the first time that you had heard them and of them, so that says you know shit about them.

Secondly, if you are going by the reviews on this site, the reviews for the Ophthalamia releases are written by people who generally give out 100s like they are whores transmitting STDs. The reviews for the Vondur releases are from more experienced reviewers, who, besides writing plenty of reviews, give out more scores than just 100s and 0s.

Thirdly, you made the same statement twice using different wording. The fact of the matter is that sheer volume of audience in favor of something does not clearly indicate quality. Just look at all of the rabid fans of folk metal, Darkspace, CoF, Cynic, etc.

Top
 Profile  
orionmetalhead
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 2460
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:22 am 
 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Just look at all of the rabid fans of folk metal, Darkspace, CoF, Cynic, etc.


Or Christianity
_________________
CONTAMINATED TONES - BLOG/LABEL/DISTRO
Facebook

Top
 Profile  
Noctir
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:17 am
Posts: 375
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:51 pm 
 

A Journey In Darkness is fucking great, especially due to the vocal performance.
_________________
Rites of the Black Moon Webzine
~No dreams breed in breathless sleep~

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KinskiTemper, MARSDUDE, Mojo Bundy, Nahsil and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group