Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 2613
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 am 
 

Moravian_black_moon wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
the return of black metal?

was i the only one who really enjoyed Drudkh?


It depends on your taste. I was never into the pagan/nature metal myself. I'm into the more primitive stuff. And that phrase wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I just think Engram is great and I think it will bring good things to the genre.

Quote:
anyway this might be a great athmospheric/ambient black metal album but there is more to black metal than just that.


Actually the ambient side of Beherit that you'd expect to hear is limited. It's almost entirely metal.


There is also headbangable black metal like barathrum or Otargos.(man im really a otargos fanboy)

Top
 Profile  
madbringer
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:08 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:33 am 
 

Anyone who says stuff like 'BLEK METUL WEZ DED N STEIL FOR FIFTEN YERS' was either, in a coma for said 15 years, boarded up in a basement in central Bergen with 6 albums for said 15 years, or a mediocre troll.
_________________
;asd

Top
 Profile  
Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:14 pm
Posts: 673
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:12 pm 
 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Moravian_black_moon wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
the return of black metal?

was i the only one who really enjoyed Drudkh?


It depends on your taste. I was never into the pagan/nature metal myself. I'm into the more primitive stuff. And that phrase wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I just think Engram is great and I think it will bring good things to the genre.

Quote:
anyway this might be a great athmospheric/ambient black metal album but there is more to black metal than just that.


Actually the ambient side of Beherit that you'd expect to hear is limited. It's almost entirely metal.


There is also headbangable black metal like barathrum or Otargos.(man im really a otargos fanboy)


I don't understand what you're saying.

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm 
 

Demon Advance is quite special and definitely as ritualistic as DdtM. I love how disjointed the riff at 5:00 sounds.

Top
 Profile  
Noctir
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:17 am
Posts: 375
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:01 pm 
 

I just heard a couple songs from this. If they are any indication as to what the whole album sounds like, I'm pleasantly surprised.
_________________
Rites of the Black Moon Webzine
~No dreams breed in breathless sleep~

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:13 pm 
 

Noctir wrote:
I just heard a couple songs from this. If they are any indication as to what the whole album sounds like, I'm pleasantly surprised.


Which tracks?

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4338
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:15 pm 
 

Can't wait to pick this up. The only review so far is...frustrating. A 100% rating with little musical description and even an acknowledgment that the album is a "grower". Yugh...
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm 
 

Jonpo wrote:
Can't wait to pick this up. The only review so far is...frustrating. A 100% rating with little musical description and even an acknowledgment that the album is a "grower". Yugh...


Lol. The album's only been out for 12 hours, and it's a "grower".

Top
 Profile  
EntilZha
Retired

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 2222
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:18 pm 
 

Nolan_B wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
Can't wait to pick this up. The only review so far is...frustrating. A 100% rating with little musical description and even an acknowledgment that the album is a "grower". Yugh...


Lol. The album's only been out for 12 hours, and it's a "grower".

I'm on my seventh listen at the moment...
_________________
Join my awesome last.fm groups: -1- / -2- / -3-

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4338
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm 
 

EntilZha wrote:
I'm on my seventh listen at the moment...


Consecutive? I have to assume if you were interested in giving your opinion you would have already, but I'd definitely be interested to hear it. I took basically nothing away from the review, and I don't want to download it.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
EntilZha
Retired

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 2222
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm 
 

Jonpo wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
I'm on my seventh listen at the moment...


Consecutive? I have to assume if you were interested in giving your opinion you would have already, but I'd definitely be interested to hear it. I took basically nothing away from the review, and I don't want to download it.

It's hard to describe. "Grower" really is the most appropriate word. I mean, I loved it the first time I've heard it, but it's how the album's minimalism on the surface is combined with the thousands of semi-hidden details in the background that makes it REALLY interesting.
_________________
Join my awesome last.fm groups: -1- / -2- / -3-

Top
 Profile  
Noctir
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:17 am
Posts: 375
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm 
 

Nolan_B wrote:
Noctir wrote:
I just heard a couple songs from this. If they are any indication as to what the whole album sounds like, I'm pleasantly surprised.


Which tracks?


"Destroyer of Thousand Worlds" and "Pimeyden Henki". The last new release I bought was Nifelheim's Envoy of Lucifer. Looks like this one will be next.
_________________
Rites of the Black Moon Webzine
~No dreams breed in breathless sleep~

Top
 Profile  
schwuppe
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm
Posts: 227
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:26 pm 
 

madbringer wrote:
Anyone who says stuff like 'BLEK METUL WEZ DED N STEIL FOR FIFTEN YERS' was either, in a coma for said 15 years, boarded up in a basement in central Bergen with 6 albums for said 15 years, or a mediocre troll.

Agreed.
That sentence made the whole 100% review worthless.

Top
 Profile  
Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:33 pm
Posts: 2182
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:58 pm 
 

schwuppe wrote:
madbringer wrote:
Anyone who says stuff like 'BLEK METUL WEZ DED N STEIL FOR FIFTEN YERS' was either, in a coma for said 15 years, boarded up in a basement in central Bergen with 6 albums for said 15 years, or a mediocre troll.

Agreed.
That sentence made the whole 100% review worthless.


Thank god. I thought I might have been the only one to have thought that. I truly hate ... HATE ... That review and that train of thought.

Top
 Profile  
EntilZha
Retired

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 2222
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 pm 
 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
schwuppe wrote:
madbringer wrote:
Anyone who says stuff like 'BLEK METUL WEZ DED N STEIL FOR FIFTEN YERS' was either, in a coma for said 15 years, boarded up in a basement in central Bergen with 6 albums for said 15 years, or a mediocre troll.

Agreed.
That sentence made the whole 100% review worthless.


Thank god. I thought I might have been the only one to have thought that. I truly hate ... HATE ... That review and that train of thought.

The review sucked. The sentiment is basically correct, though. Black metal has been in a pretty much of a state of complete coma since the second wave died. Yes, there have been a few great albums released since then, but overall it was a huge tank of sewage.
_________________
Join my awesome last.fm groups: -1- / -2- / -3-

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 pm 
 

There's a better review up now, but I would've given it a much higher score.

Top
 Profile  
schwuppe
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm
Posts: 227
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 pm 
 

EntilZha wrote:
Yes, there have been a few great albums released since then, but overall it was a huge tank of sewage.

A few?
I don't want to start namedropping, but rate of great BM albums released after '94 did not shrink that much.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 4338
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:01 pm 
 

Not only is CannibalCorpse's review better, it looks like something conjured up in a fantasy world where I personally mandate to each metal artist what I want their new album to sound like. Oath of Black Blood, slightly better production (hopefully not to much), pinch of thrashy, dash of Bathory, and are you fucking kidding me? I have to track down a copy of this ASAP.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:33 pm
Posts: 2182
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:04 pm 
 

schwuppe wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Yes, there have been a few great albums released since then, but overall it was a huge tank of sewage.

A few?
I don't want to start namedropping, but rate of great BM albums released after '94 did not shrink that much.


Completely and utterly agree with this. Although I highly respect the influence of the second wave and the central figures that became prominent during that time, since the turn of the century, in particular, there have been a shit load of great black metal material. There seems to be a great divide when it comes to black metal. You either tend to love the second wave and feel relatively little for the next generation, or the other way around. Of course, there are those in the middle, but they seem to be in the minority. Personally, whilst I do appreciate the second wave, I think black metal has gone from strength to strength. Bands like Strid and Burzum (amongst others), who's influence is probably unparalleled, have been left behind since 2000 onwards. GRR! It really irks me when people harp on about the early 90's like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 pm 
 

Jonpo wrote:
Not only is CannibalCorpse's review better, it looks like something conjured up in a fantasy world where I personally mandate to each metal artist what I want their new album to sound like. Oath of Black Blood, slightly better production (hopefully not to much), pinch of thrashy, dash of Bathory, and are you fucking kidding me? I have to track down a copy of this ASAP.


If you want to give in to temptation and download, feel free to pm me.


Does anyone know where I can buy the cassette version? I can't find it anywhere.

Top
 Profile  
schwuppe
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm
Posts: 227
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:27 pm 
 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
schwuppe wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
Yes, there have been a few great albums released since then, but overall it was a huge tank of sewage.

A few?
I don't want to start namedropping, but rate of great BM albums released after '94 did not shrink that much.

You either tend to love the second wave and feel relatively little for the next generation, or the other way around. Of course, there are those in the middle, but they seem to be in the minority.

I don't really for the release date of a record.
'94 was nevertheless the best year for BM.

Top
 Profile  
gila_monster
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:30 am
Posts: 163
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:31 pm 
 

Upon my first impression, it was pretty damn good. I liked the production in how it had an electric tinge to it (probably because of the earlier electronic albums), and the riffs as well as atmosphere were good. I'd need to give it a few more listens to see if it lasts though. I find some albums I'll like upon first hearing but then I get bored with them after that.

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Veteran

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 2613
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
 

1st wave of black metal is imho the best, but then i seem to be rather unusual in that viewpoint.

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2240
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 pm 
 

As a general rule I usually don't download full length albums, but I broke under the pressure and yanked this album. I need to give it a little more time, but I think this may be equally as good as Drawing Down The Moon, though obviously this is pretty different.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
hellhippie
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 pm
Posts: 1031
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 pm 
 

i'm gonna review it this weekend ,,, listened today 4x
_________________
...Oh, hear the thunder
Hear the voices
Hear the noise from hell
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

Top
 Profile  
daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:18 am
Posts: 346
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:10 pm 
 

I preordered the thing and promised myself I'd not give in to a leak before it arrives, but tonight I broke down and listened to it. So, it sounds like a mash-up of DDtM and Messe riffing with some tasteful EDM baggage. It makes sense and it's really good. I don't know what the naysayers are thinking, but I do know they'll be praising Engram after a break period of a few years as they did with every other Beherit album.

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2240
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 pm 
 

hellhippie wrote:
i'm gonna review it this weekend ,,, listened today 4x


I've only had time to listen to it twice, but I think I'll review it this weekend also. This is definitely going in my top 5 for 2009.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Osmium
The Hateful Raven

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:18 am
Posts: 2521
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:37 am 
 

I really enjoy Drawing Down the Moon, but can't stand the screechy/scratchy Oath of Black Blood. The former possesses incredible atmosphere, coagulating simple, droning riffs with evil vocals. I also like the ambient piece "Nuclear Girl;" it conjures all kinds of horrifying post-apocalyptic radiation-induced abnormalities among the survivors...

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2240
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 am 
 

Osmium wrote:
I really enjoy Drawing Down the Moon, but can't stand the screechy/scratchy Oath of Black Blood. The former possesses incredible atmosphere, coagulating simple, droning riffs with evil vocals. I also like the ambient piece "Nuclear Girl;" it conjures all kinds of horrifying post-apocalyptic radiation-induced abnormalities among the survivors...


The production on "Engram" is much better than OoBB, but it's still well within the realm of rawness. There are some droning elements to this one, but it's definitely different from DDtM.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:55 pm
Posts: 345
Location: Austria
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:51 am 
 

Nolan_B wrote:
There's a better review up now, but I would've given it a much higher score.


Keep in mind that I'm not a huge Beherit fan. DDtM has some great moments but I don't absolutely adore it or love all of it.

The new one has a lot of quality, otherwise I wouldn't have given out a 78% score. And as I said, the Bathory influence is rather surprising and almost omnipresent, but one will, at any time, be able to tell that it's Beherit you're listening to.
_________________
- currently restarting my projects

Top
 Profile  
ikuturiso
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:49 pm
Posts: 239
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:29 am 
 

Nolan_B wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy the cassette version? I can't find it anywhere.


The finnish Record Store X will sell it, though it won't be out till the 15th.

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:58 am 
 

Hey guys, I just thought of something amazing.






A new Blasphemy album.

Top
 Profile  
daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:18 am
Posts: 346
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:18 am 
 

Nolan, that's a pipe dream, buddy.

Top
 Profile  
LokiGoddess
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Over there...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 am 
 

Nolan_B wrote:
Hey guys, I just thought of something amazing.






A new Blasphemy album.

how about we settle for a Necroholocaust full length album?
_________________
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Top
 Profile  
ThaBrutalestGutterol
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:29 pm
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:42 am 
 

Well I heard almost all of it (except for the long final track) and I'm definitely gonna buy this! I hate nearly all black metal that came after the first wave but damn Beherit certainly stands out. I didn't like Oath Of Black Blood very much, mainly because it was just generic "br00tal" black metal with "kvlt" production...and every song sounded exactly the same. But Drawing Down The Moon was a fucking awesome album. Full of truly dark atmosphere and very blasphemic lyrics :nods:
I'm so glad we actually got a sequel for that amazing album.
_________________
I am DaddyZeus67

Top
 Profile  
HowDisgusting
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:39 pm
Posts: 1706
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:46 pm 
 

...Listening now. Not impressed. All the riffs on this album so far are almost 30 years old.
_________________
ZEALOTRY - THE CHARNEL EXPANSE now out on CD [Memento Mori Rec's]
my last.fm
my RYM

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6075
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:08 pm 
 

HowDisgusting wrote:
...Listening now. Not impressed. All the riffs on this album so far are almost 30 years old.


30 years old.. a typo? I dunno.

I've given it a listen (albeit on crappy speakers at a really low volume) and I'd say it's pretty good. Currently I'd give it a 75%, but I can really see it growing on me.
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
HowDisgusting
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:39 pm
Posts: 1706
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:17 pm 
 

caspian wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
...Listening now. Not impressed. All the riffs on this album so far are almost 30 years old.


30 years old.. a typo? I dunno.
Not a typo. The first 4 songs don't have a single riff that isn't lifted directly from a classic thrash record. Either Welcome to Hell/Black Metal, or one of those early Hellhammer/Celtic Frost releases.

Blah. Fuck this band.
_________________
ZEALOTRY - THE CHARNEL EXPANSE now out on CD [Memento Mori Rec's]
my last.fm
my RYM

Top
 Profile  
Sinvocation
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:03 am
Posts: 291
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:59 pm 
 

The Anti-Beherit Battalion, huh?

That's actually rather funny.

Top
 Profile  
Mezentus
Blood on my hands

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:23 pm
Posts: 1246
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:02 pm 
 

HowDisgusting wrote:
caspian wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
...Listening now. Not impressed. All the riffs on this album so far are almost 30 years old.


30 years old.. a typo? I dunno.
Not a typo. The first 4 songs don't have a single riff that isn't lifted directly from a classic thrash record. Either Welcome to Hell/Black Metal, or one of those early Hellhammer/Celtic Frost releases.

Blah. Fuck this band.


I heard that too... I don't say "fuck this band", because I quite like older Beherit, but this was a rather... boring... release.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Smoking_Gnu and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group