Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Beli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:50 am 

Didn't like it either. How can such simple, raw music receive so much praise. It's raw below Beherit standards and the clear production only kills it by unveiling its simplicity.
If he decided to be Burzum, it doesn't work with thrashy riffs. He needs quality atmospheric riffs for that, but it has already been done thousand times. The 3 minute 1-riff song Destroyer of Thousand Worlds must be a joke. I expect Nuclear Holocausto to come and laugh at all those who enjoyed the album by saying it was an aprils fools joke and the real album wasn't released yet. Because compared to DDtM or TOoBB it's nothing. Old Bathory, Beherit, Celtic Frost and even a generic simple darkthronish riff on Pimeyden Henki, recycled stuff. I expected more creativity if he bothered to return after so many years.
The better tracks are in my opinion the first and last one, as for a rating .... 55% not more.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:49 pm 

Im not by any means a hardcore black metal fan, so this was my first Beherit album (I know, I know, I deserve to be kicked in the throat). I really enjoyed Engram, and now Drawing Down The Moon is definitely on my to do list.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:38 pm 

Nolan_B is always on target in these black metal threads.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:56 pm 

Mezentus wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
caspian wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
...Listening now. Not impressed. All the riffs on this album so far are almost 30 years old.

30 years old.. a typo? I dunno.
Not a typo. The first 4 songs don't have a single riff that isn't lifted directly from a classic thrash record. Either Welcome to Hell/Black Metal, or one of those early Hellhammer/Celtic Frost releases.

Blah. Fuck this band.

I heard that too... I don't say "fuck this band", because I quite like older Beherit, but this was a rather... boring... release.

Gets better with repeated listens and attention to detail.

madbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 pm 

Oh it's good. It's very, very good. It's like an artifact buried in the ground for several decades, unearthed, dusted and kicking ass, old-school style. It's simple, it's raw, it's like a punch in the gut.

As for the 'black metal dead/not dead' thing, it's comes to a subjective perception of what you call black metal. If you refuse the third wave, sure, it's dead, or at least, stale with minor 'alive' spikes here and there. If you do not, it's well alive and in great shape, at that. I just don't understand the diehard orthodoxy of some people. Would it be better if bands regurgitated the same stuff for the last 15 years? I prefer to have the variety and sidetracking, and not holding on to the olden forulma of times long gone.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:38 pm 

madbringer wrote:
Oh it's good. It's very, very good. It's like an artifact buried in the ground for several decades, unearthed, dusted and kicking ass, old-school style. It's simple, it's raw, it's like a punch in the gut.

As for the 'black metal dead/not dead' thing, it's comes to a subjective perception of what you call black metal. If you refuse the third wave, sure, it's dead, or at least, stale with minor 'alive' spikes here and there. If you do not, it's well alive and in great shape, at that. I just don't understand the diehard orthodoxy of some people. Would it be better if bands regurgitated the same stuff for the last 15 years? I prefer to have the variety and sidetracking, and not holding on to the olden forulma of times long gone.

Indeed. It's a cohesive and strong work, and yes, there is a great deal of subtlety to it, though I don't suppose for a moment that they've "reinvented black metal". I love the way the album starts .. it's all suggestive of the sick dream of a crazed opium fiend, and as such the album succeeds beautifully. THere are a few minor things I would have liked to have seen done differently, such as the vocals, perhaps, but it seems, so far, better by a margin than what I could have expected from Nuclear Holocausto after all this time.

Some of you folks clearly haven't listened to "The Oath of Black Blood" very very much. There are two separate demos to be heard on that thing, and they sound rather different. Hint: the second one is much better than the first.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:36 pm 

The black metal dead/not dead is a funny argument. The difference is there's just more people making it now. And it's easier to record and distribute. Back in the days of the second wave it was more difficult, so you had to really care about it to go and write, record and release it. Now it's very easy so thousands of people that do it.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:10 pm 

awm wrote:
Nolan_B is always on target in these black metal threads.

I actually don't know why. My opinions aren't exactly conflicting with most.

MECHAZAWA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:42 pm 

Beli wrote:
How can such simple, raw music receive so much praise.

Because, I just fucking hate this world.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:53 pm 

HOLY SHIT! Tepes gave Engram a 100% review!

Beli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:21 am 

Impossible :0. I had huge respect for that guy for his accurate ratings.

Oh ... he's a Beherit fanboy. Understandable.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:10 am 

I would've expected a 0% with the title "The opposite of metal, part 3."

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:05 am 

HowDisgusting wrote:
Blah. Fuck this band.
Fucking hell, baptisms are strange these days. First it begins with liking Opeth, then Jesus becomes your savior, you start loving DsO, and then you hate Beherit.

Bow_to_your_Master
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:32 pm 

Spoken intro is stupid. Some of the lyrics, if I'm understanding them right, were pretty stupid, too. The variation in vocals throws me off, as well. When I'm "trancing out" to an album, I like the vocals to be consistent - the vocal style on Pimeyden Henki was perfect, should've just stuck with that throughout. That being said, it's a pretty damn good album. Pimeyden Henki and Demon Advance are especially outstanding tracks.

Shawnathan_Mory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:09 pm 

Yeah, I couldn't get into it.

1) The Clean production killed the mystique.
2) Drawing down the moon was so good that no album they will release can ever top it.
3) Salomon's Gate and Nocturnal Evil are the two of the best black metal songs of all time

thejuiceisloose
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 am 

I think that review pretty much sums up the greatness of this record!

Beherit leads the way!

Every time a Christian dies they are sent straight to the Dachau of the underworld for the sin of Jesus worship!

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 am 

I'm sure if it wasn't Beherit people wouldn't give a shit about this release. I admit it has some nice riffs, but calling it revolutionary? Meh.

Speak for yourself.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:29 am 

Engram is fucking excellent, enough said.

Not a huge fan of Drawing Down the Moon [/shock] but I love Oath of Black Blood (strange, hmm?), but Engram tops both in my mind.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:07 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Engram is fucking excellent, enough said.

I have just finished album's listening and I can't agree more. For those who didn't like it, foad. This album rules. A Beherit comeback to their roots, but even better :headbang:

madbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 am 

Vrede wrote:
I admit it has some nice riffs, but calling it revolutionary? Meh.

Yeah, i keep hearing from different people that this album redefines this, or revolutionizes that. It does not! In fact, it does the exact opposite - it creates an aura of primitivism and the barbaric black metal roots around it, throwing one deep into past while pummeling their face with a fucking rock.

thejuiceisloose
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:38 pm 

Vrede wrote:
I'm sure if it wasn't Beherit people wouldn't give a shit about this release.

You can say that, but the fact remains that no band but Beherit released this album, nor could they have.

Every time a Christian dies they are sent straight to the Dachau of the underworld for the sin of Jesus worship!

Gut18
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:38 pm 

In a fact i like this album and i don't see nothing wrong in that release, good music and i feel that this is Beherit, maybe not the same Beherit like in ealier, old days but still it is this band recognizable music

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:21 pm 

There's a hate review up now.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:00 am 

And it's outrageously retarded. What a surprise. Wonder if we'll see a good one though, the potential's there.

Beli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 am 

That doesn't sound like a hate review, more of an accurate one. If you read the other reviews without listening to the album you might think it's actually complex since nobody mentions the utterly boring endless repetition totally lacking in quality.
Quote:
There really isn't much to be said about this album - it is impressively lacking in substance and variation, so describing it very well is a bit of a challenge. To sum Engram up in a few words, "monotonous", "repetitive", "boring", and "formulaic" offer more than enough description, and cover quite literally every aspect of the recording.

This paragraph sums it up nicely.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 am 

It's definitely not a bad review. "Hate review" as a term had bad connotations. I love the album, though.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:40 am 

This album is clearly excellent, and anyone who finds it bad has a mental deficiency - or doesn't belong in black metal in the first place. This is the best black metal release of the year and probably will be for awhile. Complaining about black metal being repetitive and monotonous? Get the fuck out.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:21 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
Complaining about black metal being repetitive and monotonous? Get the fuck out.

This.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:22 am 

Ein Dopplepost

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:38 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
This album is clearly excellent, and anyone who finds it bad has a mental deficiency - or doesn't belong in black metal in the first place. This is the best black metal release of the year and probably will be for awhile. Complaining about black metal being repetitive and monotonous? Get the fuck out.

While the second sentence may (and possibly will) be proven wrong, this man essentially tells the truth.

HerpDerp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 am 

t1337Dude wrote:

Edit: never mind

Last edited by HerpDerp on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:20 am 

First place blackmetal? Mental deficiency? Indeed.

HerpDerp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 am 

DenialFiend wrote:
First place blackmetal? Mental deficiency? Indeed.

What?

thejuiceisloose
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:14 pm 

It's perfectly valid to complain about repetitiveness in a black metal album. Lots of black metal albums are over-repetitive and suffer greatly for it, I just don't understand why anyone would say "Engram" is repetitive. It's got so much going on it's hard to keep track of.

cadena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:38 pm 

ive never have listened to this band but people says to me that darkthrone and beherit have something in common

so engram is going to be my first cd of beherit

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:35 pm 

Okay, now that the complete awe of the album has passed, I have one gripe that I want to mention. The blast beats are too slow! In the early days Sodomatic Slaughter would blast at the full extent of his ability. Some songs like All in Satan seem to lag a bit.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:34 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Okay, now that the complete awe of the album has passed, I have one gripe that I want to mention. The blast beats are too slow! In the early days Sodomatic Slaughter would blast at the full extent of his ability. Some songs like All in Satan seem to lag a bit.

Hadnt thought about it to much but I think you might be right. Some of the 'faster' drum tracks do seem to still be lacking in speed in relation to the riffs.

Anyhow, I've listened to this twice and I have to say that all in all its pretty solid. Nothing special but a nice return to black metal for Beherit. Personally I think the album actually gets better as it goes on. I really like the last track.

Marras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 am 

Good album I must say. Really much better than I expected, one of the rare successful comebacks. Almost surpassing their previous works.

Interesting, Engram seems to be number 10 in Finlands official album list this week. Horrible sell-outs :P

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:34 am 

My favourite album of the year so far. Listened to it about 5 times so far, keeps revealing new things. I actually think it might be the best 'album' Beherit have put out - DDTM is a classic but undeniably flawed, Electric Doom Synthesis is cool but not really a proper album. I didn't like H.whateverblah.blah. This feels like a rounded piece of work, and also rocks like a motherfucker.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 am 

I don't know why people are complaining about the production being too clean. DDtM didn't exactly have a super raw production either and everyone shits themselves over that one.

As for Engram, I like it. It wasn't really what I was expecting to be honest. I like the vocals and some of the riffs are really cool, but the drumming should be faster on tracks like All in Satan and Suck My Blood. Some of the songs sound the same, but I'm not one to complain about that. All in all I like it. Let's see what the next album is like.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next