Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:34 pm 

So, instead of posting a new thread for the new song that's online at their myspace now, (called ''Devouring Frenzy'') and soon the new album that will be probably get laked soon, let this be the ''offical'' Pestilence discussion thread.

:lol: @ the beginning of ''Devouring Frenzy''...''urh,urg,,URGH!.'' Better than ''Horror Detox'', but still not that good. The guitar riffs sound way too uncatchy just as ''Horror Detox'', and again the guitar solo is not bad...but is just there...doesn't shine just like the other songs.

I've got the feeling this album is going to be quite pretty repetetive and too boring.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 pm 

I still have high expectations from Pestilence. A band that hasn't failed me yet.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:16 pm 

Mezentus wrote:
A band that hasn't failed me yet.

Clearly you haven't heard the new material, then. Not only does it fail, but it's up there with the latest Cryptopsy in the level of suckitude.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 pm 

I've only heard Consuming Impulse, but it kicked copious amounts of ass. I may have to check into them some more now that they're making a comeback.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:19 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Clearly you haven't heard the new material, then. Not only does it fail, but it's up there with the latest Cryptopsy in the level of suckitude.

That's a bold statement. Just to spite you, I pre-ordered it a few hours ago. :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

haha gonna have to call bullshit on a statement like this

even Spheres was no unspoken king, and if the band ever had an "OOOooooOOoops" it was that one (even though i think its good in theory)

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:22 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Nothing Pestilence will ever put out can compare to The Unpsoken King of St. Anger. Seriously, nothing. Not even bad oral sex.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:32 pm 

Mezentus wrote:
Lepernicus wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Nothing Pestilence will ever put out can compare to The Unpsoken King of St. Anger. Seriously, nothing. Not even bad oral sex.

Ever heard of C-187? Maybe not as bad as The Unspoken King, but still BAAAAAAAD.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:39 pm 

As long as it isn't THE Pestilence, and not some side project groove metal shit, then I'm fine. And judging by 2 reviews of 24%, they are bad, and I'm not going to take the time to listen. haha\

Or maybe I will for amusement.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:
Lepernicus wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

haha gonna have to call bullshit on a statement like this

even Spheres was no unspoken king, and if the band ever had an "OOOooooOOoops" it was that one (even though i think its good in theory)

Spheres was awesome.. way ahead of its time. Resurrection Macabre? No thanks. It sounds like a cliched new death metal release, starting with the production and working its way down, down, down..

The only reason people are so excited about this shit is because they think it's going to come close to what Pestilence released previously. Nope, sorry.. this is nothing more than a cash grab on the Pestilence name by Patrick Mameli... a guy who, by the way, talked mad shit about metal and its fans before storming out of the scene. He really needs to reconsider releasing this under the Pestilence name, before he forever taints the name. His ego won't let him, however. He's like the Billy fucking Corgan of death metal.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:22 am 

Lepernicus wrote:
Spheres was awesome.. way ahead of its time. Resurrection Macabre? No thanks. It sounds like a cliched new death metal release, starting with the production and working its way down, down, down..

The only reason people are so excited about this shit is because they think it's going to come close to what Pestilence released previously. Nope, sorry.. this is nothing more than a cash grab on the Pestilence name by Patrick Mameli... a guy who, by the way, talked mad shit about metal and its fans before storming out of the scene. He really needs to reconsider releasing this under the Pestilence name, before he forever taints the name. His ego won't let him, however. He's like the Billy fucking Corgan of death metal.

I think the new tracks are pretty good. The vocals sound forced, in a good way, they make the vocalist sound like some guy who's just been ressurected by some necromancer dude. The new songs feel very fresh, classic Pestilence-ish stuff but more modernized with the drumming and the production. I think it's a good mix.

I agree with your comment on Spheres, though.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 am 

Im really digging all these new songs. The only thing that bothers me is the production. The actual production is great, I like the crisp clear sound, but I feel that its too far of a stretch from their old material's sound.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:54 am 

Don't like the new songs and not at all interested in the new album.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
I think the new tracks are pretty good. The vocals sound forced, in a good way, they make the vocalist sound like some guy who's just been ressurected by some necromancer dude. The new songs feel very fresh, classic Pestilence-ish stuff but more modernized with the drumming and the production. I think it's a good mix.

This. It mixes old Pestilence with some modern touches, and since I'm indifferent to crystal clear production, the album should be good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:17 am 

colin040 wrote:
Better than ''Horror Detox'', but still not that good. The guitar riffs sound way too uncatchy just as ''Horror Detox''

Haven’t heard the second song but after a few listens I still think most parts of Horror Detox are too obvious an attempt at cloning ‘Dehydrated’. I think Mameli isn’t really ‘writing’ new songs but he is trying to re-create an old sound. I have a fear this new album will be a contrived mess which will not sound very convincing but rather dishonest. I still hope he will prove me wrong though! Benefit of the doubt….

Lepernicus wrote:
Spheres was awesome.. way ahead of its time
Not really, no. Again a result of reactive songwriting instead of proactive. They just hopped the new Cynic/Atheist bandwagon. When taking time to listen to the material on Spheres it’s quite clear there was no such thing as a new type of song writing but just leftover riffs from the Testimony sessions with some jazzy leads and intermezzo’s copied and pasted here and there to make it seem more ‘intelligent’. Nothing special about it. The production made it even worse.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:03 am 

wow lots of issues to tackle here so i will start from Spheres and work my way to the current times:

Sphere's was indeed a trend hopper, and Patrick wanted to consciously move the band away from the current crop of DeathMetal and put Pestilence on more of the "higher order of musicians" so to speak so being a fan of jazz fusion he went the more experimental direction of Cynic and Atheist and blah blah but... as morbert also suggested, it really seemed like left over "same ol' Pestilence" riffs sparkled with guitar synth.

Next, after it flopped... for a plethora of reasons (and yknow i could go on and on about what was good about it and what was bad and all that but maybe i should save that for later if someone cares to hear my specific opinions on it...) Patrick did indeed become a whiny little BITCH and instead of middle fingering nay sayers and doing what he wanted he tucked his tail between his legs and disappeared for years until

all the other bands made their comebacks and some even made some good money

Patrick, being the money lusting little integrity having METAL HATING whore resurrected Pestilence (he really is a bitch, can i please make it clear i think his attitude is shit? hahah i totally agree with anyone who doesn't like his ideas and thoughts of metal in his time surrounding Spheres)

these new tracks have a VERY modern production that makes my skin crawl
and where THE HELL is Marco Foddis!?!

But... these rehashed contrived money lusting tracks are still better than alot of crap thats out there

so call me a sucker, i'm probably going to order it. and i bet i like it.
Mameli being a piece of crap or not

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 am 

Lepernicus wrote:
Mezentus wrote:

Come on .. the one song I heard wasnt' that great, but that's a pretty awful comparison. I think this will at least be better than "Spheres", but I'm not that excited.

"Spheres" has got "Personal Energy" though, which isn't even a metal song, really, but damn, I just love it for some reason. It would have been cool if C187 had sounded like that instead of .. whatever the hell it was (I never bothered to listen to it).

The new songs definitely sound like Pestilence to me, and more like "Consuming Impulse" than anything else, albeit with some modern touches. Patrick is one hell of a fast and precise guitarist and I've always kind of admired that. His attitude does seem suspect, but I can't really blame him for not wanting to stick to metal whenn all his fans were "jumping ship" and calling for Martin back. Some men get disillusioned pretty easily, but some years out of the fold allows one to reflect on the good times and inventions again after some of the "bad blood" has become less important. Maybe that's what happened to Patrick.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Korpserotter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:10 pm 

Ahem, Spheres was indeed a weak attempt at progressed songwriting like Atheist... I think Kelly Schaefer once made some spot-on comments about the technicality of Spheres. ;)
It was lots of boasting and not backing up the claims... I still remember the proud mentioning that only guitar synth were used on it. Dommage, they are used exactly as normal synths.

So, Mameli needs some cash and tries to create some tracks which he thinks will please the old schoolers.
And MAYBE he got envious of the success van Drunen is having now (no idea if it pays off financially but at least live Asphyx CRUSH nowdays, we will have to see about the upcoming material).

So, fuck that shit. I would say there are tons of better (and also new) bands around (Bloody Sign from the top of my head) so I am certainly not going to waste money on "new" Pestilence.

Mameli, get a real job.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 pm 

I agree about the whole hate towards ''Spheres'', in my opinion there are a few fun songs on the album, (Personal Energy rules!) but come on, Pestilence isn't Atheist or Cynic, they knew how to incorporate jazz influences into their music, while Pestilence's shouldn't have experimented more than on ''Tesimony of the Ancients''.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 am 

I enjoy all the pestilence albums (Malevs and Consuming Impulse the most of the four). Either way, I played the shit out of Testimony and Spheres and there are a lot of awesome songs on the albums. I never really understand the comparison between Spheres and Atheist. Surely the jazz progressions are evident, but stylistically, they do not compare in sound whatsoever.

Spheres is far more simplistic and far more saturated with jazzy interludes as well as different synth sounds. Atheist have more complex jazzy structured death/thrash. The styles do not compare...even on Testimony of the Ancients, Pestilence has rather straightforward death metal riffs more in the style of Morbid Angel than Atheist having a much thrashier sound. The jazzy and atmospoheric tracks do not constitute enough to be considered Atheist worship. Seriously, listen to Testimony and Spheres again...and tell me that instrumentally the albums are copycats of Piece of Time/Unquestionable Presence?

And on a side note, I remember reading how Patric Mamelli can't take criticsm and is like a baby when people talk shit to him. I think that is pretty valid because recently, I commented on a few of their reunion pictures on myspace saying things like "You guys better play your old shit because I'll be throwing lotsa cash your way just to see you and to get some merch" When I said, "You guys invested too much time into the photo shoot and not enough time into the music and album concepts....and that Ressurection Macabre is a shitty album title as well as concept," I think patrick threw a hissy fit. I scanned my testimony tape as a reminder of what fans will be expecting live from them.
(Image)"

Something like that...whereas most of the myspace users write shit like "you guys are brutal, best band ever, new songs rule..etc." I got a sarcastic message from them, they deleted whatever I wrote and then they blocked me.....which made think that Pestilence are some kind of emo faggots...but whatever.

Sometimes it's better to not talk to the musicians of your favorite bands..because their attitude may just ruin the music for you :( I mean I've talked shit to Overkill several times in person even, and Bobby Blitz just told me to fuck off...and then laughed..wheras Patrick, (who I am assuming is the one that talks to the fans) took my words too seriously and made himself look like a little girl. Whatever...you'd just figure that a death metal band should be able to take criticism..ya know? I know that my brother was telling Frank Mullen how he thought Souls to Deny was utter shit and Frank was cool about it...either way, I'm definitely not going to buy the new Pestilence album out of principle now.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 am 

Rampant_Fuck wrote:

Sometimes it's better to not talk to the musicians of your favorite bands..because their attitude may just ruin the music for you :( I mean I've talked shit to Overkill several times in person even, and Bobby Blitz just told me to fuck off...and then laughed..

Why in the fuck would you talk shit to Blitz about Overkill?

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:29 pm 

Well bobby blitz is a lot friendlier/cooler than Mamelli apparently, so I was just fucking around and telling him the new shit sucks..he was cool about it. I was just giving him my opinion and by that I meant I was talking shit to him since most people usually just brown nose the shit out out musicians rather than give the appropriate criticism.

And as for the Pestilence thing, whatever. I wish I didn't give them any criticism because It made me realize how lame they are if they can't even take a slight bit of negative feedback on their direction...even when I openly admit the fact that I enjoy their entire discography. I think the new album is worse than Spheres...it's a total regression with the addition of bad choruses and blast beats....

Personally when I write music, I value both positive and negative criticism..and sometimes we all deserve some negative criticism so our heads aren't too far up our asses....

The_Velvet_Kevorkian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:57 pm 

Well as I type this the advance of the new record awaits me, in that statement the album will most likely be leaked soon (not by me!) just saying once the promos start going out albums get leaked...

I am no expert on Pestilence history... hell I haven't listened to anything since the re-issue's came out a while back, going to have to get myself up to some sort of speed to properly review the album.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:16 am 

I never noticed how much Uterwijk looks like Van Drunen. Kind of odd.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:25 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
I never noticed how much Uterwijk looks like Van Drunen. Kind of odd.

In my opinion he doesn't look anything like Martin, but more like James Hetfield, he looks more friendly, though.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 am 

I love old Pestilence, with Martin on vox, and I have to admit, Testimony is a damn good album. Spheres is no for me, I hate it, but I also dislike Atheist and Cinic (yes, yes, I know), for what I 've heard of this new album, well, it sucks, but lets wait until the whole thing is released, perhaps we get a nice supprise
Not hearsay but the will of man

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 am 

The_Velvet_Kevorkian wrote:
Well as I type this the advance of the new record awaits me, in that statement the album will most likely be leaked soon (not by me!) just saying once the promos start going out albums get leaked...

hmm, keep my eyes open for the next couple of days then. For me this won't be an absolute blind purchase when it comes out. Want to hear it in full first.
sofar I'm not too fond about those blast speed drums here and there. They're so.... 'un-Pestilence'....

ShreddedHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:36 pm 

So, Resurrection Macabre was released yesterday. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. Has anyone here heard the entire album? If you have, how do you like it? Are the rest of the songs up to the level of the three songs posted on their myspace page?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:24 pm 

The new album has just leaked, downloading it atm. Will review it later, I think.

Exhumed_Identity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:58 pm 

I think it sounds great. But that's just me. It going to be a big ask for them to release something as good as Consuming Impulse but I'm really digging this.

UnusuaL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:01 pm 

Got the new album in the mail today. Have listened to it in it's entirety once and I must say that I am a little disappointed. I actually like the modern sound, but the songs sound to repetitive and uninspired. Shame really.. Hope it'll grow on me though as I spent 15 euros on it...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:12 pm 

Incredibly repetetive album. Bored riffage, sound chaotical most of the time, but still boring. The solo's are nothing special, just here. Annoying random blastbeats, unaudible bass, strong vocals though. Remind me a bit of John Tardy at times. The bonus tracks are weird. I like ''Chemo Therapy'', Patrick is trying to sound similar to Martin on that song and suceeds. ''Out of the Body'' doesn't sound that good. The originel one had powerful vocals, this one not at all.

If that wasn't bad enough, why the fuck is ''Lost Souls'' SLOWED DOWN?! Fucking bored stuff. :Durr:

I feared this was going to be crap, ofcourse it's still the first time I'm listening to it, but it already annoys me that the album is too repetetive and the overall musicianship is kinda crap, too. I'm disappointed.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:50 am 

Listened to 2 songs so far, and I'm loving it. It's like Consuming Impulse with the atmosphere of Testimony with a modern dm touch.

Exhumed_Identity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:52 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Listened to 2 songs so far, and I'm loving it. It's like Consuming Impulse with the atmosphere of Testimony with a modern dm touch.

I said the exact same thing on another forum.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:55 am 

Exhumed_Identity wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

I said the exact same thing on another forum.

Eh, really?

I've listened to the whole album now and I must say that this was FUCKING EXCELLENT. Mamelli, you may be a douche but you're a douche that knows how to make good music when you want to.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 am 

Actually I like the new songs, so I guess I'll be getting my hands on the album.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 am 

I like the new album. It's a bit different from the older stuff and has a distasteful new death metal edge which I find distasteful, but at its core it's Pestilence. I'd probably take it over Spheres which I liked initially but disliked more and more over time. The bonus re-recordings of the old stuff are horrible.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:29 am 

Well after the first listen i'm loving it :D
It's so damn and heavy..

Anggaaa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 pm 

Pestilence has always been a solid band, even the latest releases. I myself am a big fan of the first 2 records though. Anyway i can tell you the new stuff is a blast and i really do have high expectations as well.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:28 pm 

Yeah, new album isn't sounding very promising so far. This just sounds like any other death metal band today doing a bad Pestilence imitation, instead of the unique Pestilence flavor of death metal we all know and love. I still want to see them live very badly, but sitting through the new material will be quite a chore. If they don't play "Out of the Body" I will get on the stage, kill Mameli, and play it myself.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next