Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DarkSkiesGreyWaters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:06 am 

https://www.kerrang.com/nightwish-have- ... esterwynde

The album is described as, "Yesterwynde is a fantastical voyage through time, memory, and the better angels of human nature. Three years in the making, we’re thrilled beyond words to share our tenth album with the world on September 20th!"

The first single, "Perfume of the Timeless" is coming May 21st.

The fulltrack list:

1. Yesterwynde
2. An Ocean Of Strange Islands
3. The Antikythera Mechanism
4. The Day Of...
5. Perfume Of The Timeless
6. Sway
7. The Children Of 'Ata
8. Something Whispered Follow Me
9. Spider Silk
10. Hiraeth
11. The Weave
12. Lanternlight

In prior interviews, the album has been said to feature a return of the full Orchestra and a heavier sound than Human: Nature

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:46 am 

I’m intrigued! The artwork looks nice so that’s already something.

I have found the Floor albums underwhelming so let’s hope this one delivers the goods. Not expecting a great album, but let it be fun.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:29 am 

Strangely enough, the album looks like a proper power-metal cover. And a tasteful one at that.

Not that I have any hopes for this album. And Tuomas remarking that a journalist told him he thought the album was really mellow REALLY doesn't help.

I think the clock theme is fitting, cos its really only a matter of time until the Tarja/Marco reunion.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:03 am 

Cautiously optimistic about this one. "Human Nature" was kind of boring. I don't need the album to be heavy (though members of the band said this one's heavier than HN and I'm obviously 100% fine with that) - I just want it to be good. This is the band that got me into metal - I want to enjoy their work, dammit. Also, I'm glad the cover art looks more like a mid 00s CGI mess than a mid-2020s AI mess, lol.

Interesting that they've apparently chosen a long song as the first single (according to the interview at least). Also, I do find some of these song titles intriguing... a few of them remind me of Epica.

KaiKasparek wrote:

I think the clock theme is fitting, cos its really only a matter of time until the Tarja/Marco reunion.

Tarja came close to being a guest on the last tour, but couldn't do it due to a scheduling issue. I suppose the... uh, slightly dramatic events of 2005 are water under the bridge at this point.

Dr_Funf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:09 am 

I love Nightwish, they're the band that got me into metal and I'm very much looking forward to this. Human Nature was by far the weakest and most disappointing album they've put out, so I'm (tentatively) hoping Yesterwynde is a return to form. That said, I read an interview with Tuomas not so long back where he listed Human Nature as his favourite Nightwish record, so who knows. Just don't give Troy any lead vocal parts, please.

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

Tarja came close to being a guest on the last tour, but couldn't do it due to a scheduling issue. I suppose the... uh, slightly dramatic events of 2005 are water under the bridge at this point.

After almost 19 years and a successful solo career in her own right, I'd say so. If a reunion did occur though, I'd prefer if they just played their Tarja-era material, as that's what the vast majority of fans will want to hear. Nightwish's current style has moved on too far from the Tarja years to record a new album with her, so just take us back to those halcyon days of yesteryear when Nightwish were at their best.

DarkSkiesGreyWaters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:40 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Cautiously optimistic about this one. "Human Nature" was kind of boring. I don't need the album to be heavy (though members of the band said this one's heavier than HN and I'm obviously 100% fine with that) - I just want it to be good. This is the band that got me into metal - I want to enjoy their work, dammit. Also, I'm glad the cover art looks more like a mid 00s CGI mess than a mid-2020s AI mess, lol.

Interesting that they've apparently chosen a long song as the first single (according to the interview at least). Also, I do find some of these song titles intriguing... a few of them remind me of Epica.

I kinda admire that Tuomas just does what he wants, to be honest. A second disc of instrumental music. A 8 minute long single. Attempting to make a movie for an album. Doesn't always work, but I give him credit for trying it.

I will say the title, songs, and cover art surprised me a bit. It definitely feels more Power Metal than the previous two albums. Not that I'm expecting it to sound like Oceanborn, but the band seem to be in a transitional period, I feel like.

As for "heavy/mellow" I guess it depends what people mean. If 'metal' to those particular journalists is heavy chugs and an angrier tone, and the mood is more bright and the guitar melodic, maybe that's what they meant by 'mellow'.

Reply to topic