Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 pm 

So the Cavalera brothers are following up their Morbid Visions / Bestial Devastation re-recording with Schizophrenia. First song is available below. Artwork again by Eliran Kantor.

Max Cavalera states: "The Third World Trilogy is finally complete with 'Schizophrenia', 'Bestial Devastation' and 'Morbid Visions', all three Brazilian underground gems! To me, 'Schizophrenia' is the ultimate death/ thrash experiment! I was inspired to take on the world and this recording shows my commitment is relentless! This one is for all the generations to enjoy! Play at max volume!"

Igor comments: "1987 was a very progressive year for metal, with releases like CELTIC FROST 'Into The Pandemonium', VOIVOD 'Killing Technology' and BATHORY 'Under The Sign Of The Black Mark', so it was no surprise on how we approached 'Schizophrenia' pushing our boundaries from a black/death metal sound to a more thrash metal aesthetics. We still had some ideas from 'Morbid Visions' and some new songs. I'm very proud of the songwriting and even more proud of our re-recordings."

CAVALERA's "Schizophrenia" track listing:

01. Intro - Re-Recorded
02. From The Past Comes The Storms - Re-Recorded
03. To The Wall - Re-Recorded
04. Escape To The Void - Re-Recorded
05. Inquisition Symphony - Re-Recorded
06. Screams Behind The Shadows - Re-Recorded
07. Septic Schizo - Re-Recorded
08. The Abyss - Re-Recorded
09. R.I.P. (Rest In Pain) - Re-Recorded
10. Nightmares Of Delirium - New, never released

Max Cavalera - Vocals, Guitar
Igor "Iggor" Cavalera - Drums, Percussion
Igor Amadeus Cavalera - Bass
Travis Stone - Lead Guitar

Mixing and mastering was handled by Arthur Rizk.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:00 pm 

Excellent news! I loved the Bestial Devastation/Morbid Visions re-recordings. The new version of Escape to the Void sounds badass.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:02 pm 

I see the point in re-recording Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions, but not with Schizophrenia which is pretty much perfect as is. The sample song isn't bad but it's completely pointless. This stuff belongs in a live environment, I would definitely go see them perform a Schizophrenia set, or a Bestial/Morbid set. (Both, please.)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:15 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
I see the point in re-recording Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions, but not with Schizophrenia which is pretty much perfect as is. The sample song isn't bad but it's completely pointless. This stuff belongs in a live environment, I would definitely go see them perform a Schizophrenia set, or a Bestial/Morbid set. (Both, please.)

I’m in a similar boat. Any flaws on Schizophrenia as far as recording goes are decidedly not an issue compared to the potato quality of Morbid and Bestial

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:33 pm 

Schizophrenia, at least the remastered version, is perfect to my ears.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:34 pm 

Not sure why they felt the need to do this, but I like what I hear. Will probably end up buying it.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:31 pm 

At least there is a new song but I'd like to see them make a full album of original material inspired by this album instead of another re-recording.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:44 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
At least there is a new song but I'd like to see them make a full album of original material inspired by this album instead of another re-recording.

They said they'll do that once they finish re-recording Beneath the Remains, Arise, Chaos A.D., and Roots.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:54 pm 

Eh, not necessary. I enjoyed the previous one because it was good to hear the early songs played in tune, but that's it. Schizo already sounds fine and this rerecording will bring nothing new to the table. If anything, the modern production just highlights how many of the riffs on Schizo, while fast and ferocious, are still kinda simplistic. Definitely a better fit for rawer production.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:56 pm 

Excuse to touring

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:05 pm 

Would love to hear them play this in its entirely, but this re-recording isn't necessary at all.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:15 pm 

goetia_unreleased wrote:
I Am the Law wrote:

They said they'll do that once they finish re-recording Beneath the Remains, Arise, Chaos A.D., and Roots.

I look forward to hearing that 5+ years down the road.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:17 pm 

This simply confirms my theory that the Andreas Kisser-led Sepultura calling it quits and doing one final tour was brought about by the BD/MV re-recordings. Kisser saw the writing on the wall and knew that the Cavalera bros. wouldn't stop there, and that they would eventually try and do a "we are the real Sepultura" thing (I watched a live video of CC and Max started going on about exactly that). What a shame. The Kisser-led band really brought some excellent recordings in the latter part of their career and for them to now be overshadowed by this, is a crime.

And to be transparent, I really enjoyed the Cavalera re-recordings but I took their word at face value at first, that they wanted to re-record those songs for the reasons they said they wanted to, and since Kisser wasn't in the band at that time, I didn't see any problem with it. But I did have a nagging suspicion that something else was up. While this might not be the smoking gun, if they re-record BTR then that's all the proof you need that they just want to eclipse the current Sepultura incarnation and Kisser, poor guy, is probably wise to throw in the towel.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:39 pm 

I wonder if Max will leave Cavalera after re-recording Roots.

Reply to topic