Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:55 am 

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/10/s ... tal-album/

I'm guessing it's a joke based off the Sunn O))) amp, but who knows...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 am 

I'll believe it when I hear it. I absolutely adore (pun intended) the Pumpkins, but that love is mainly for their 90's output. The Machina albums really started to lose the trail and while Zwan were somewhat listenable, Zeitgeist was a humongous letdown, so much so that I haven't even bothered to check out the weirdo releases they've done since (all the lineup issues certainly don't help, either).

However, metal clearly was an important part of the Pumpkins' sound, and I have no doubts at all in my mind that Corgan is completely aware of actual doom metal and how to do it properly, I do doubt his conviction to actually play the stuff without mucking about with unnecessary weirdo touches. So yeah...I'll believe it when I hear it.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:37 am 

I'd be morbidly curious about that third album, but that's about it. Like some of their singles but overall hate them as a band. Granted I haven't listed to their shit in literally years.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:52 pm 

This reminds me of when Marilyn Manson, or someone on his behalf, I can't remember, said that his next album would be death metal. (It wasn't.)

I read Alternative Press a lot in the 90s and hoo boy did all these people, artists and journalists alike, haaaate metal. It was always used as a punchline.

Anyway, it sort of sounds to me like they're joking about the whole trend of doom metal and throwback gear. Who knows.

Last edited by DeathfareDevil on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TuckerofThorrAxe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 pm 

Seems like a joke to me. I doubt they were giving a shout-out to the band SunnO))), they were likely just hashtagging the amp.

televiper11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:12 pm 

Gleaning from interviews I read in the early/mid-90's, Corgan is a legit huge doom fan. He mentioned once wanting to take Sleep out on tour and repeatedly made reference to bands like Trouble and St. Vitus.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:25 pm 

Hopefully the lyrics are about the Illuminati and Bohemian Grove

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:31 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
I read Alternative Press a lot in the 90s and hoo boy did all these people, artists and journalists alike, haaaate metal. It was always used as a punchline..

Really? As far as I know, Smashing Pumpkins was one of the few "alternative" bands that didn't hate metal during the '90s. There is a clear metal influence in some Smashing Punpkins songs anyway, like "Tales of a Scorched Earth", "Geek U.S.A.", "Quiet", etc.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 pm 

true_death wrote:
Really? As far as I know, Smashing Pumpkins was one of the few "alternative" bands that didn't hate metal during the '90s. There is a clear metal influence in some Smashing Punpkins songs anyway, like "Tales of a Scorched Earth", "Geek U.S.A.", "Quiet", etc.

I don't recall Corgan specifically, no. And yeah, they, Alice In Chains, and even Soundgarden veered pretty close to metal, if not wholly into it at times. (Somewhere there's a Nirvana interview where one of them, seemingly seriously, said that early in their career they were playing what they thought was in the style of Celtic Frost but were so bad at it that it came out nothing like C.F. In light of later career ventures, that may have been Dave Grohl.)

I do remember Jonathan Davis of Korn bitching because his band's CDs were filed even in the vicinity of Kreator discs in music stores. A lot of reviews of heavier alternative music of the era would inevitably refer to metal fans as lunkheads, sheep, or, for whatever reason, cows. (Can't remember which album or band that was for, though; the "cow" part stuck with me. Something about metal fans mooing and staring dumbly like cattle.) I even remember power chords being vilified.

Every once in a while I break out my old AP's to marvel at the pomposity of the writers and musicians of the day. The ultimate punchline, of course, is that much of that "alternative" music became the AOR/Adult Contemporary of the following decade's radio programming.

edit: AP did, however, do an amazing like 20-part series on the history of punk and hardcore, featuring some of the best writers of the time, so I give them a comprehensive pass for that. And without Ian Christe's piece on Norwegian black metal in 94, I would've been even later in learning about my now favorite kind of music.

This has been a very long post totally unrelated to Smashing Pumpkins.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:38 pm 

Would it be considered trend hopping? At first blush I tend to think so. It might be considered "dabbling," though, if one were in a generous frame of mind, and I can't really find substantial fault with that. I also tend to think that Corgan's a competent enough musician be better at doom than Pallbearer's latest effort. That's not exactly a vote of confidence, but it will serve.

I'm not a fan of Corgan or the Pumpkins, but I'd be curious enough to listen, that's for sure. My main complaint is Corgan's vocals rather than his music, but that's beside the point. A couple of their albums have been in the rotation at work, though I don't know which titles. What appeal they have left is mostly nostalgic, but yeah .. it would be fine with me if someone else sang.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
This has been a very long post totally unrelated to Smashing Pumpkins.

Can we add this at the end of every long post in this forum, ever?

But, yeah, I remember enjoying some Smashing Pumpkins but for some reason I never came back to them since my teens (first time I ever said "in my teens", I feel old as fuck). Assuming this is all true, I think it could work, sounds like something good could come out of it.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
true_death wrote:

I don't recall Corgan specifically, no. And yeah, they, Alice In Chains, and even Soundgarden veered pretty close to metal, if not wholly into it at times. (Somewhere there's a Nirvana interview where one of them, seemingly seriously, said that early in their career they were playing what they thought was in the style of Celtic Frost but were so bad at it that it came out nothing like C.F. In light of later career ventures, that may have been Dave Grohl.)

I also suspect Grohl due to his praise for Voivod. I used to see on forums, archives, Wikipedia and the likes that Nirvana was one of many bands inspired by Celtic Frost. You also have to wonder how much metal impacted Kurt Cobains playing when one of his best friends Dylan Carlson was in what was considered the most pivotal drone doom bands of all time, and occasionally collaborated with him.

I think sometimes the impact metal has on guitarists is understated. Even if a lot of these established alternative or modern rock artists aren't consciously playing metal right now, metal the sort of thing teenagers and young guitarists are likely to pursue and be impressed by, even if they have no ambitions of mimicking it later in their career. Billy Joel played in an early distorted rock band featuring a meathook album cover and Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse of all bands was obsessed with Black Sabbath as a kid and learned all their riffs. I wouldn't doubt a band as dark and guitar-oriented as The Smashing Pumpkins enjoyed a lot of doom metal.

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
DeathfareDevil wrote:

I also suspect Grohl due to his praise for Voivod. I used to see on forums, archives, Wikipedia and the likes that Nirvana was one of many bands inspired by Celtic Frost. You also have to wonder how much metal impacted Kurt Cobains playing when one of his best friends Dylan Carlson was in what was considered the most pivotal drone doom bands of all time, and occasionally collaborated with him.

Listen to this, it's an old Nirvana song (we're talking pre-"Bleach", like '87-'88), that has a very obvious influence from Celtic Frost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McBZc8nkKw

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 pm 

^interesting track...had not heard that before. And it should be remembered that Dave Grohl did not actually join the band until 1990, after the first full length had already been released. So yeah, Kurt and/or Kris Novoselic very well could have been Celtic Frost fans at one point early on. And of course Grohl's appreciation for underground metal has been well documented with his Probot side project which is honestly quite good.

Smashing Pumpkins always had an affinity for thick distorted guitars, despite not really being "metal." I could see that if Corgan adopted his riff style/composition to something more towards metal, he could pull off some decent doom metal tunes. The only question is would fans appreciate it, and how credible would it be?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm 

Well, I dunno, they had some pretty metal tracks if you ask me:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:06 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
^interesting track...had not heard that before. And it should be remembered that Dave Grohl did not actually join the band until 1990, after the first full length had already been released. So yeah, Kurt and/or Kris Novoselic very well could have been Celtic Frost fans at one point early on. And of course Grohl's appreciation for underground metal has been well documented with his Probot side project which is honestly quite good.

Kurt and Kris were in fact Celtic Frost fans. Both of them were into heavy and raw bands. I believe Grohl himself confirmed this.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:17 pm 

Nirvana, AIC, Smashing Pumpkins did not bash metal; they were fans. Even the guy from Weezer was a big prog metal fan. Most of the metal bashing came from groups like Korn ("We're not metal, we're hard music") and the like. I'm not really into most of these groups, but Smashing Pumpkins had excellent jazzy drumming from that old junkie guy.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 pm 

Nameless_Rites wrote:
Even the guy from Weezer was a big prog metal fan.

Not merely a fan!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Avant_Garde/76989#band_tab_members

gabber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:18 am 

To be honest, I think Corgan is a musical genius. He's definitely a talented man, even if I think that 70% of Pumpkins albums are boring, it's just not my style of music but that doesn't detract from the fact that he's musically very very gifted.

So it's possible. He could. But it's unlikely. But it would be interesting. But still unlikely.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:15 am 

I'm a big fan of Smashing Pumpkins and like I said and spoken to a number of people who posted it on facebook. It's not going to be a doom metal album like any of us are familar with. It'll probably be slow, it'll be that grungy grime sound to it but I doubt it'll be anything metal, esp metal enough to get in here.

I will take a listen to it though when it's done. But if it's like the last stuff they did just slower I'll pass on a purchase.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Azerath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:26 am 

I admire Corgan for his songwriting and poetry especially on Mellon Collie album.

Thru the eyes of ruby
By starlight
Porcelina of the vast oceans

My favorite "love" songs ever by a rock band.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 pm 

Smashing Pumpkins are (or rather, were) fantastic. I'd be interested in this out of curiosity but my main love for them is their 90s stuff.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:45 pm 

Huh... the way it was written, it seems to be clearly a joke.

Anyways, I liked the Smashing Pumpkins back in the day but they are as likely to make a good album these days as Metallica.

Plus, in order for the Pumpkins to remotely hit the mark with a doom album, they would have needed to get Melissa Auf der Maur back. The rest of Pumpkins were more into Priest, while she was into Sabbath and the heavier, darker stuff. These days, she cranks out mediocre alternative music solo.

This is a joke. Even if it wasn't, it's too late for Corgan and the Pumpkins to be relevant again.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:35 pm 

They'd be relevant if they put out a decent album. That's why Rush is relevant still, while most bands half their age aren't.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic