Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:46 am 

Though it was for some reason addressed in the thread for the previous album from years ago, I'd say a new album means a new thread to make things easier.

They will release a new album via Century Media, and the first single is out:

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:57 am 

Judging from this first single, this is gonna be a continuation of an yawn fest that's been dragging on since 2010. Not bad per se, but a bit boring and predictive.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:15 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Judging from this first single, this is gonna be a continuation of an yawn fest that's been dragging on since 2010. Not bad per se, but a bit boring and predictive.

Every time Dark Tranquillity releases a new song I feel like a Minority Report precog.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:32 pm 

DT should have been getting their "endtime signals" around 20 years ago. I know I was.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:30 pm 

Even at their worst, they are still decent. They have some great modern albums too: Damage Done, Character, Fiction... even Atoma was decent.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:48 pm 

That's true Gravetemplar, but to be consistently safe and "decent" over 7 or 8 albums is far worse than being adventurous and failing horribly, and DT stopped being adventurous long ago. Projector and Haven were criticized by some for being too experimental but at least they were somewhat interesting.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:22 pm 

I guess I'm the only one who really dug the song, then

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Granted, it isn't anything groundbreaking by any means...but does it have to be for it to be good? This type of melodeath at this point isn't showing me anything I haven't heard before, but I still appreciate it when it's done well

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:40 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who really dug the song, then

Nah, I think it's a solid track, I don't really get this whole "bands need to be adventurous or else everything sucks" mentality, the album is either well done in its adopted style or it isn't. Dark Tranquillity has basically settled on a streamlined formula that places emphasis on a dreamy atmosphere similar to Omnium Gatherum, but in a far more simplistic fashion. Moment was a good album, by no means the best showing by the band and pretty much par for the course for what they've done after Fiction, but it had some good songs and a generally consistent flow to it that I enjoyed.

Disembodied wrote:
That's true Gravetemplar, but to be consistently safe and "decent" over 7 or 8 albums is far worse than being adventurous and failing horribly, and DT stopped being adventurous long ago. Projector and Haven were criticized by some for being too experimental but at least they were somewhat interesting.

Eh, so you want DT to turn into another In Flames because they need to be "adventurous"? I can understand thinking their current output is inferior to their late 90s classics, but I'm not sure what you want DT to do that wouldn't involve ceasing to be a melodeath band.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:32 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Eh, so you want DT to turn into another In Flames because they need to be "adventurous"? I can understand thinking their current output is inferior to their late 90s classics, but I'm not sure what you want DT to do that wouldn't involve ceasing to be a melodeath band.

I'm just saying I'd be happy with an album that isn't an iteration or reiteration of Damage Done. I've got Character and Fiction if I wanted that. I'd like to think that going full-on In Flames isn't the only alternative to what DT have settled for.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:38 am 

Like Overkill they've been releasing the same album for the last 15 years

And it is a good song taken in isolation, it's just I feel I've heard it all before and won't bother picking up the album

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:17 am 

I legit forgot this band existed

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:56 am 

Every album up until Fiction was fresh and very good, yes even Haven.
After that it's been a desert of ideas. Some cool songs here and there (Dream Oblivion, Iridium, Clearing Skies), but the albums overall sound lifeless. This single looks like a continuation of the last two basically. Even the generic artwork.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:22 am 

Meh.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:56 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
I legit forgot this band existed

So did they

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:02 am 

I haven't bothered with anything past Fiction because I largely have cared little about the melodic death metal scene in the past five years.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:49 am 

I don't mind modern Dark Tranquillity. They're still making good music, it's just that it's weighted a lot more towards melody and atmosphere than riffs. But it's definitely a lot less exciting or memorable compared to their earlier material.

I will definitely check this out, but like a lot of their latter output it'll probably be something I enjoy while I have it going and then sort of just forget about once it's done.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:10 am 

I gave up on them after Fiction, which seemed like the last album in which they gave half a damn about energy and momentum. The fact that since then they've only released records every sixty years is also kind of a bummer. Every other member besides Brändström and Stanne left, and I'm dead tired of the former's style. The latter, as good as he still is, just isn't enough to keep me interested.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:37 am 

Second single "Unforgivable" is out

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:51 am 

Damn, that's more speed and intensity than I have heard from them in a while, reminds me of some of their 2000s work.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:06 am 

I guess I like it a bit more than the first single, but they're both just pretty typical modern DT songs with no real surprises. It's kind of shocking how little they seem to want to experiment these days. Even In Flames, for better or worse, doesn't release the same album over and over again, but DT basically have been doing this for quite some time now. That's what's "unforgivable". ;-)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:08 am 

I like Dark Tranquillity when they sound like Dark Tranquillity.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 am 

Evoken wrote:
... Even In Flames, for better or worse, doesn't release the same album over and over again,

Yeah, they release all sorts of crappy, unlistenable music. That takes real creativity!

Reply to topic