Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unholy Philosopher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:35 pm 

Just out of curiosity, one day I was asking myself: which 30+ years bands are better known for their newer stuff than their older stuff? So far, I can only think of one example: Septicflesh. This band is from 1990 and they don't even play things before 2008.
Just for the record, "30+ years" is only to give attention by what I mean more or less about "old band". If you think about a band that is 28 years, it's ok to include in the list.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:56 pm 

I think about the only band to ever have truly great new material after so many years is probably Dinosaur Jr.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:33 pm 

Cattle Decapitation isn't quite 30 years old yet, but is getting there, and they definitely exploded into popularity with Monolith Of Inhumanity. To the point where nowadays they rarely perform any songs older than that record these days, and it seems like the bulk of their recent fanbase is okay with that. Unless I'm mistaken.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:40 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Cattle Decapitation isn't quite 30 years old yet, but is getting there, and they definitely exploded into popularity with Monolith Of Inhumanity. To the point where nowadays they rarely perform any songs older than that record these days, and it seems like the bulk of their recent fanbase is okay with that. Unless I'm mistaken.

I like Humanure the best probably.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

I like Humanure the best probably.

Part of me wants to say that the last few records have felt recycled, but I also don't know them well enough to truly judge. That said, in the times I've seen them I did wish they pulled out some of that really nasty early shit. Just to have some variety in the set

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:07 pm 

I don't know if Dying Fetus can count in this one, but Reign Supreme (2012), Wrong One to Fuck With (2018) and Make Them Beg for Death (2023) are all amazing albums, arguably better than Stop at Nothing (2003), Purification Through Violence (1996) and War of Attrition (2007). I like all their stuff though, but in recent setlist they play mostly their newest songs, along with a few classics from Killing on Adrenaline (1998), Destroy the Opposition (2000) and Grotesque Impalement (2000).

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:32 pm 

I'd go with Satan.

Reply to topic