Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:41 am 

Quote:
It’s a potent experience to write, record, film a video at my home, and immediately release a song that is literally encompassing my life right now.

Sonja is our Goddess and she despises compromise. We exist for her extreme desire and as such we are full-on at all times. To create the art worthy of her name we rip through our realities into the new planes of existence she demands. We are grateful for those who join us on this path of serving her.

Escaping to Portugal to write the lyrics, I attempted to articulate some of the insanity back in Philly. When I returned home, we turned the volume UP.

Century Media became our new sugar daddy.

We stare into each other’s souls with an unhinged need to push each other over the edge. It’s pointless to even try to predict what kind of fucked up situations we are all going to end up in.

Some knowledge can only be found in the dark.

No album announcement, but they dropped a new single & video. I am all here for the rise of Horny Metal:

https://www.invisibleoranges.com/sonja- ... gle-video/

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:35 pm 

That's nice.
I liked Loud Arriver.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:38 pm 

Pretty good tune, seems like they're leaning into everything they did on the first album and doing it more.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:53 pm 

I’m always here for NWOBDSMHM. If this is as good as Loud Arriver, I’ll be quite happy

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:13 pm 

Great song and video, I love how playful and catchy the riffs are in that track. Sounds a lot like the debut album which is definitely not a bad thing.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:30 pm 

I liked Loud Arriver.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:01 pm 

Reminder that Sonja is opening for Wayfarer in the US starting in two weeks! That's going to be a killer tour.

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:14 pm 

I loved Loud Arriver!
This sounds great, I love the vocal approach. I'd love a full record of her singing like that.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:05 pm 

Never heard of Sonja before but this sounds very similar to the slower paced Haunt material.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:44 pm 

Saw them at a fest in Pittsburgh last year, good stuff. Good for them! Melissa writes some great riffs.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Last edited by Nahsil on Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Reminder that Sonja is opening for Wayfarer in the US starting in two weeks! That's going to be a killer tour.

Skipping Michigan.

Nice!
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:45 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Melissa writes some great riffs.

That little hammer-on thing she does in the middle of the chorus riff is ridiculously fucking cool. I cannot stop listening to this song.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:08 pm 

I didn't care for Loud Arriver very much, but this song is excellent.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:33 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
Melissa writes some great riffs.

That little hammer-on thing she does in the middle of the chorus riff is ridiculously fucking cool.

Exactly! Loud Arriver is great. This seems to lean more towards the post-punk influence, which I'm all for.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:47 am 

I'm glad she's doing better than the rest of the former Absu members.

I also find it curious that there are not many traditional heavy bands that explicitly lean into the queer elements of the metal aesthetic (which have been there since Judas Priest and 80s glam, of which Sonja reminds me of).

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:48 pm 

greywanderer7 wrote:

I also find it curious that there are not many traditional heavy bands that explicitly lean into the queer elements of the metal aesthetic (which have been there since Judas Priest and 80s glam, of which Sonja reminds me of).

Melissa's vibe here reminds me of a more modern, sensual, and queer take on what Betsy Bitch was doing, with the dominatrix/BDSM imagery and all. The branding is only part of it, though - Melissa's also just a lifelong heavy metal maniac who knows the power of great songwriting and strong hooks. I get the feeling that Sonja is going to go far, they have all the right ingredients and it'll just take one big tour to make them blow up.

Also, even though I'm stoked to catch them with Wayfarer, I still fully intend to punish the hell out of Melissa about Rumpelstiltskin Grinder because I miss that band and I'd like to see them come back someday.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:13 am 

Quote:
It’s a potent experience to write, record, film a video at my home, and immediately release a song that is literally encompassing my life right now.

Sonja is our Goddess and she despises compromise. We exist for her extreme desire and as such we are full-on at all times. To create the art worthy of her name we rip through our realities into the new planes of existence she demands. We are grateful for those who join us on this path of serving her.

Escaping to Portugal to write the lyrics, I attempted to articulate some of the insanity back in Philly. When I returned home, we turned the volume UP.

Century Media became our new sugar daddy.

We stare into each other’s souls with an unhinged need to push each other over the edge. It’s pointless to even try to predict what kind of fucked up situations we are all going to end up in.

Some knowledge can only be found in the dark.

I guess after so long in Absu some of Proscriptors rambling bullshit style must have rubbed off on her

Nice track though, not the type of stuff I'd normally go for but there's some cool riffs for sure. Still hoping for a Rumpelstiltskin Grinder reunion at some point

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:19 am 

That's a fantastic blurb. It's really refreshing to see a new band with this unique of a vibe and aesthetic.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:22 am 

greywanderer7 wrote:

I mean... not really.

The 90s really did a lot to steer metal, and mainstream culture more broadly, towards a very heteronormative image of masculinity. Even as gay acceptance increased during the decade, it was often only for certain stereotypes of gay men - namely effeminate, weak, fashionable, etc. - while other people under the LGBTQ umbrella were often erased. It's not really surprising that many of those gay stereotypes didn't fit in with the hyper-masculine tough guy image that metal became so tied to during this time. This is despite appropriation of other aspects, such as the classic Priest leather fashion becoming disconnected from the underlying gay culture that spawned it.

It's also impossible to untie the lack of queer representation in metal from misogyny in general. That same hyper-masculine, heteronormative metal scene did a lot to repel women for an extremely long time. Even a lot of the 80s glam was still extremely hetero-coded, with sexualization of women (and often minors) being a pretty huge cornerstone of its imagery and lyrical themes. The rise of more extreme metal genres didn't help, with major death metal bands like Cannibal Corpse revelling in themes of sexualized violence. While there absolutely were prominent women in metal during the 90s and early 2000s, even in extreme metal, it's hard to get away from the fact that many of them succeeded despite the scene and its audience, not because of it... and pretty much always with the explicit permission of the men involved.

In that kind of atmosphere, can you imagine anyone openly gender nonconforming, trans, non-binary etc. being able to find any kind of significant visibility or success? Growing up in that era I can't name a single such artist that existed during that time - it's only in the last 5 or so years that it's really started to be a more visible thing, and even then it's definitely not mainstream.

Honestly this kind of imagery and representation is long overdue, and a major label like Century Media taking notice absolutely does reflect them adapting to a changing audience.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 am 

This song impressed me a lot more than I was expecting it to since nothing the band really did up to now moved me in any way. I really like the gothic rock undertones of this song and although previous material had some of that vibe, it wasn't as well executed as here. I will be intrigued to hear more material.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:16 am 

CoffeeCat wrote:
Even a lot of the 80s glam was still extremely hetero-coded, with sexualization of women (and often minors) being a pretty huge cornerstone of its imagery and lyrical themes.

Case in point, that Winger song Seventeen really did NOT age well

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:38 am 

Why not? It's great song.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:23 am 

Paka01 wrote:

Stewart, it's about diddling a kid.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:17 am 

80s glam was an interesting juxtaposition of dudes with teased-up hair with more makeup than Jeffree Star dressed in crop tops, cheetah-print leggings, and heels who also routinely used "faggot" and "queer" as casual epithets and probably would assault men for real or perceived advances.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Paka01 wrote:

Isn't age of consent in USA 16 years old?
Anyway, I just checked, main songwriters Kip Winger and Reb Beach were 27 and 25 years old when the song was released. It's not that much of an age difference.

I mean, he's not singing about trying to have sex with a child. That would be fucked up, of course.
Anyway, it's still great and fun song.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:40 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Paka01 wrote:

Isn't age of consent in USA 16 years old?
Anyway, I just checked, main songwriters Kip Winger and Reb Beach were 27 and 25 years old when the song was released. It's not that much of an age difference.

what went wrong in the way you were raised that you actually typed this out and put it on the internet on a public forum
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Reply to topic