Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:28 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... &ref=notif

Apparently it's happening. One of the best bands that comes around every now and again. Can't wait!

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10160061778167876&set=a.10150627352417876&comment_id=791448056188539&notif_id=1710603145983967&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Apparently it's happening. One of the best bands that comes around every now and again. Can't wait!

Ha.
These dudes are from my former home town. I grew up there, saw them many times. They were an integral part of our local scene.
I'm interested to hear a 2024 release, bring it on!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:15 pm 

I'm also from Florida but never got the chance to go see them - don't know why I never tried harder. Maybe next time I visit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 am 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... l0s2vW-kuU

This is really great so far. Haven't lost a beat since the classics from the 2000s.

I love that they do everything in this really organic way, nothing sounding fake or anything... all done with care. Great riffs, wonderful leads. Lots of cool, catchy hooks.

Maybe their most keyboard heavy release, but what a good tone, what catchy melodies.

There's a lot of Deep Purple in this - I think that's a positive...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:58 am 

I've heard the album (once, a promo). It has the same things that I liked and the same things that I disliked about some of the old material, but knowing how much you loved it Empy, I'd guess you're going to enjoy this one too.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I've heard the album (once, a promo). It has the same things that I liked and the same things that I disliked about some of the old material, but knowing how much you loved it Empy, I'd guess you're going to enjoy this one too.

Yeah I've heard it. Really good... this type of classic rock, done this way, is just exactly what I'm into. What don't you like?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:41 pm 

Anybody know where to get a CD copy from?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:52 pm 

Barry, their guitarist, said he'd let me know when he got the CDs in at his own label... I'll pass it along to you all for sure.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:18 am 

^Awesome, cheers Emp. I went to the Iron Shield Records site but it wasn't particularly helpful. I'm resisting the urge to listen to it until I get a physical copy, so hopefully we don't have to wait too long.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 am 

Listening to this now. Didn't care much for the first track "Reignite the Sun" but it feels like the tracks are getting better and better progressively. "Stella Magnetica" was decent if a bit formulaic and then "Hopes & Fears" is excellent and "Rain" is pretty good. I'll try to post some more thoughts once I finish the full album. I felt like Last Act of Defiance was a bit of a step down from Once in a Blue Moon, which along with Lost in Hell is probably my favorite record from them. I do feel like they've lost a bit of the weirdness/campiness that made them so interesting in that era, but they've clearly still got some solid ideas so I'm sure I'll enjoy this to some extent overall like I did Last Act. They've just felt a bit more restrained for me on these last couple.

EDIT: Okay those cheesy synths on "Supernatural" are pretty badass. Definitely points to them even if the main riff is a bit lacking. I'd still prefer they had a little bit more of a unique vibe here and sounded less like Dio Sabbath worship. But still cool.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:09 am 

Man, that main riff on "Supernatural" was a highlight for me. Marvelous chunky groove to it.

"Reignite the Sun" has grown on me from when I first heard it, got a cool chorus going.

I thought this one was much more like Lost in Hell and Once in a Blue Moon as opposed to Last Act, which felt like their most direct and straightforward side of the band. This one feels like it brings in way more weird key stuff and also more bluesy Deep Purple stuff toward the end. Lot of variety.

I don't know how I rate the new one yet. Gonna wait to hear it without Youtube to really know. But even if it isn't Once in a Blue Moon I think it'll hold up really strong. Last Act of Defiance hasn't gotten any weaker for me either - love it.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:15 am 

Yeah I'm listening on YouTube as well but I just got it on Amazon so I'll give it some more listens. "Black Swamp Gypsy" does seem like a highlight for me along with "Hopes and Fears." It's also been a bit since I've fully listened to Last Act so I'd have to revisit it to compare it fairly - but this one definitely doesn't seem to turn the cheese and insanity factor up to 11 like those 2000s albums - at least not on all the tracks. But you may be right that it's closer to them than Last Act is. You're definitely a bigger fan of them than I am and more familiar with their stuff. I don't think I've given any of their albums besides Lost in Hell and Once in a Blue Moon more than 6-7 listens or so as they just haven't grabbed me as much (and I didn't get too into them much until the last 5 years or so). I probably ought to spend more time with the first album and "Last Act" especially as they might have potential to sink in a bit more.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:34 pm 

Last Act of Defiance was really their other 100% album after Once in a Blue Moon for me. It's very simple compared to some of their work, but all the songs and performances are absolutely electrifying.

New album is starting to sink in a lot more. Really atmospheric, a lot of energy. Great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 pm 

Barry Waddell (guitarist for the band) says you can PayPal him at [email protected] and send him $15 flat for the CD.

This has really grown on me a lot - what a magnificent thing this is. Dense, weird atmospheres, some great bluesy rock guitar, some hammering riffs. It's wonderful.

Reply to topic