Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 am 

I know hair metal's status as a subgenre of metal (or even a subgenre of music or just a fashion statement) is often debated, as with what bands should be given this label, but I'd rather put that aside and discuss how you guys feel about the scene and the music that is given this label

Glam metal was often picked on by metalheads during the 80s and 90s before the nu metal/metalcore wave came along, and even then I still see some rag on it at times. I found this cringy TheTopTens list here: (https://www.thetoptens.com/metal/reason ... -subgenre/), and let me just say I'm really glad I left this site a long time ago. Like, blaming them for the spawn of core? Blame Pantera (I know they ironically started off as a hair band, but I'm talking about Groovetera). I know "hair metal" is often used as a pejorative, but I actually prefer that term because it sounds better and helps differentiate from 70s glam rock which was kind of a different thing.

Musically speaking I don't have any strong opinions, but I do enjoy some tracks like You Give Love a Bad Name, Too Young To Fall in Love, and Europe the band in general; I also like some other 80s arena rock bands like Magnum. I feel that hair metal made a bigger mark in music history than thought. There were individual artists like Eddie Van Halen, but I think it helped inspire the more fun side of rock and metal music, particularly power metal, as well as the fashion of Visual Kei. It also helped curved the way for grunge and thrash as countermovements, which I count as influences, though you could argue otherwise?

So what are your thoughts? What do you feel about hair metal?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 am 

It was my gateway to metal in the early 80s via Motley Crue, Ratt, Twisted Sister, and Def Leppard.

I still enjoy these bands and the genre to this day and say that with no reason to feel embarrassment.
Frankly, it was not uncommon in the 80s to be a fan of Venom, Slayer & Kreator AND Ratt & Motley Crue. At least it was common where I grew up.

Anyway, the obligatory power ballads were more often, than not, terrible and simultaneously lead to the subgrenre's rise and its fall.

Bands such as Dokken, Europe (outside of that appalling hit), Winger, White Lion, etc., remain in heavy rotation for me...love 'em all.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:38 am 

I think its fine. When I was younger and worried about being thrown off Thrash Island I wouldn't admit to liking a lot of it. But I got older and stopped caring about such trivial nonsense and began to revisit some of that. Twisted Sister, Ratt, Motley Crue, Cinderella, Warrant, Skid Row, Dokken, Def Leppard, and a lot of other bands lumped into that scene right or wrong, made some great music.

Though some of those bands made albums that I'd call just heavy metal, not glam metal or hair metal.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:38 am 

first, i'll just say i probably listen to hair metal more than anything else these days. its what i was raised on and recently ive been doing some deep dives. bands who recorded albums in '92 that never got released type stuff. i will say that it's kind of silly to try to treat it like a metal genre in the way you would say, thrash or doom. it isn't really that. the genre had high-gain, crunchy guitars and the mainstream didn't know what else to call it. there is a little academic curiosity in examining a lot of the mid-80s bands who transitioned out of heavy metal into more glam sounds; bands like Victory, ICON, or honestly even Motley Crue, who definitely had a legitimate metallic sound to their first two records. ICON especially had an interesting pick-and-mix of heavy and glam metal on their first album.

but by the late 80s, the metal had generally been stripped out of the genre. i dont really know you could seriously argue that Poison's "Unskinny Bop" or Danger Danger's "Bang Bang" are metal at all, really. nothing wrong with that, of course! there were still a few exceptions, like Wildside's Under the Influence, Dokken's Back for the Attack, or a chunk of Firehouse's S/T, which have just enough aggression still to make a serious case, but in general the genre had taken a softer turn, and many bands, like Cinderella, were moving towards a more blues-influenced sound.

its interesting to look back on its influence on music. i dont really think you can say it influenced the direction of metal past like '93, really. there was, of course, the Nirvana bomb that shifted all mainstream attention away from the genre, but Pantera also set the direction for metal in the 90s more than anyone else. these days, the glam influence is almost totally excised from mainstream rock, and the bands that DO still have that sound in their DNA have taken a much darker, more cynical interpretation of the sound than what existed in the 80s. even the older bands seem a bit directionless regarding the genre. that may also play a big part in the genre's shift into a nostalgia circuit. the 80s thrash bands managed to find a way to freshen the sound up for modern sensibilities, but hair bands haven't been able to. again, there are some exceptions, like Motley Crue's Saints of Los Angeles, or newer bands like Wig Wam.

what is funny is how the division between heavy/thrash and glam that was heavily enforced in the 80s has all but disappeared, and for many people, its all in the same bucket of "80s metal". even among the musicians who did a lot to stoke that animosity, it doesn't exist anymore. i guess when Nirvana kills all of your careers overnight, you realize stupid feuds like that dont really matter.

Evil Entity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:44 am 

It's fine. Sometimes it can get cringey but the same goes for any subgenre of extreme metal.

At least with hair metal you could say they were having fun, not sure about the latter.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:54 am 

Glam is one of those genres that doesn’t have a lot of stone cold classics but I can usually enjoy it on a base level for the focus on catchiness. My favorites, presumably like most folks on here, tend to be the ones that skew toward more overt heavy metal like Dokken, WASP, Def Leppard, and Twisted Sister but there’s stuff I like from Skid Row, Great White, Cinderella, and Alice Cooper’s albums of the era.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:00 am 

A huge amount of the bluesy stuff that often gets lumped into the 'hair metal' designation is fantastic.

Great White
Badlands (one of my all-time fav bands)
Tora Tora
Tesla (not really bluesy...perhaps "rootsy" is more ap)
Salty Dog
Blue Murder

All fantastic bands.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:02 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
A huge amount of the bluesy stuff that often gets lumped into the 'hair metal' designation is fantastic.

Great White
Tora Tora
Salty Dog
Blue Murder

All fantastic bands.

Tesla's got a hella bluesy song, I think it was on Mechanical Resonance, that was really cool. Really surprised me it came from a band mostly associated with hair metal.

If you ask me, Tesla's 80s material wasn't even attempting to be metal, hair or otherwise. I bet the only reason why they were lumped in with ANY metal movement (but especially hair metal) is ironically because of Love Song.

Last edited by DoomMetalAlchemist on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 am 

I enjoy some of it for sure. I grew up listening to the likes of Motley Crüe and Whitesnake's 'Slip of the Tongue'. I got into Cinderella a couple of years back, and remember never hearing them before. Oh course some of this music is yucky sugary, but there are golden moments. Alice Cooper wasn't yucky on fantastic 'Raise Your Fist and Yell' (my first touch with AC) but a couple of next ones were more glam-esque at times. But I did not mind, really.

One band I never see mentioned much/enough is Lillian Axe. Fantastic albums, pretty much. I need to investigate Badlands next!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:13 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Great White
Tora Tora
Salty Dog
Blue Murder

All fantastic bands.

Tesla's got a hella bluesy song, I think it was on Mechanical Resonance, that was really cool. Really surprised me it came from a band mostly associated with hair metal.

If you ask me, Tesla's 80s material wasn't even attempting to be metal, hair or otherwise. I bet the only reason why they were lumped in with ANY metal movement (but especially hair metal) is ironically because of Love Song.

agreed! Tesla is only considered hair metal because they were a hard rock band in the late 80s, which meant you got lumped in with that movement. I can't imagine any hair band doing a song like "Edison's Medicine". lyrics about Nikola Tesla? swapping between 3/4 and 4/4 in the prechorus? a theremin solo? no way man.

ChoujuX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 am 

Love it, one of my favorite genres ever. I've always considered it a valid metal subgenre, lots of great stuff and cool riffs.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Great White
Tora Tora
Salty Dog
Blue Murder

All fantastic bands.

Tesla is a essentially a 70s hard rock band who happened to hit the scene in the mid 80s.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:09 pm 

Hair metal rules. Tons of serious shredders on guitar in almost every band. I couldn't stand the ones that were happy/poppy but the ones that bordered playing heavy metal/hard rock were great.

A few bands that have some good material are Britny Fox, Dokken, Twisted Sister, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Dangerous Toys, early Def Leppard, Europe, Fastway, Killer Dwarfs, Pretty Boy Floyd, etc.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:13 pm 

Hair metal and specifically 80's hair metal will always rule.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm 

Being a dumb brainwashed Metallica teenager, I was programmed to hate it, except for Motley Crue. That was the one hair band "cool" to like (which is weird because that was the band Lars shit talked the most).

These days, I have more respect for it and it's musicians, particularly since Metallica ended up being bigger sissies than the hair metal bands ever were. I have some guilty pleasures like Britny Fox's "Girlschool" and Cinderella's "Nobodys Fool" (not for nothing, Tom sounds like Last In Line Dio on that song at times). I don't call myself it's biggest supporter or anything, but it has its good (Whitesnake, KISS, Guns N Roses) and its shite (Poison, Nelson) like every other sub-genre.

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Glam metal was often picked on by metalheads during the 80s and 90s before the nu metal/metalcore wave came along, and even then I still see some rag on it at times. I found this cringy TheTopTens list here: (https://www.thetoptens.com/metal/reason ... -subgenre/),

Good lord that is wack.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm 

I enjoy it but never really did a deep dive into the genre. I've a few best of collections from a couple of different bands, and some Crue and Bon Jovi albums, that's about all I feel I need

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 pm 

By far my favorite band of this genre is Guns 'N' Roses, Iam surprised no one mentioned them since they are one of the biggest bands of that genre. Behind them the ones I like the most are Van Halen, Motley Crue, WASP and Skid Row. I like the grittier and more rock 'n' roll sound of those bands, they are pretty heavy in their own way.

Whitesnake is pretty corny, but you have to give David Coverdale some credit, he is an amazing frontman and a great singer, he sang in Deep Purple too, so he has true metal and rock 'n' roll legend credentials. Whitesnake also have an incredible roster of musicians in their line ups, guys like John Sykes, Cozy Powell and Steve Vai are hard rock/metal legends in their own regard.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm 

I honestly don't really consider GnR hair metal for some reason though I see easily why they get in there. Nor Van Halen. Van Halen for me is the textbook example of California hard rock.

For some reason GnR just had more "heft" than most of the bands from that scene, and didn't feel like Poison or Warrant so I tended to exclude them. Even when everyone was in the "glam sucks" phase in the late 80's we were wearing out Appetite for Destruction. Had more grit, felt more "real".

Maybe that was just 16-18 year old me rationalizing. But AfD had a tone, vibe, whatever you want to call it, that was just incredible. When I think of greatest debut albums of any genre that is always in the top couple for me along with Van Halen's debut.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I honestly don't really consider GnR hair metal for some reason though I see easily why they get in there. Nor Van Halen. Van Halen for me is the textbook example of California hard rock.

For some reason GnR just had more "heft" than most of the bands from that scene, and didn't feel like Poison or Warrant so I tended to exclude them. Even when everyone was in the "glam sucks" phase in the late 80's we were wearing out Appetite for Destruction. Had more grit, felt more "real".

Actually, I think the same, they are by far more of a hard rock or rock n' roll band than stuff like Warrant or Poison. I think they are in the same league as Van Halen or AC/DC, there is no surprise that Axl Rose replaced Brian Johnson in the last AC/DC tour.

Another cool band that no one mentioned is Aerosmith, but I don't know if Tyler and Perry's band is considered glam metal.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 pm 

Back in the MTV days Aerosmith was mixed in with glam all the time on shows like Headbangers Ball.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 pm 

despite that i wouldn't really call Aerosmith a hair metal band. their classic 70s stuff is obviously too old, but their 80s stuff like Pump or Permanent Vacation arent really glam either. id put them in a similar boat to Tesla: a hard rock band that happened to exist in the late 80s so got lumped in with all of that stuff.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Agreed. Van Halen was one of the biggest inspirations for many of the 80s bands (along with Kiss, Aerosmith, Led Zep, Ted Nugent, etc) but I've never considered them part of that scene whatsoever.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pm 

Lane wrote:

One band I never see mentioned much/enough is Lillian Axe. Fantastic albums, pretty much. I need to investigate Badlands next!

Yes, Lillian Axe is fantastic. Their recent albums have been stellar, too.

Badlands was a quasi-all star band, featuring Jae E Lee from Ozzy, Ray Gillen who was in Sabbath for 20 minutes, and Eric Singer who was in Lita Ford's band (and Kiss for the past ~20 years). Absolutely stellar band.

Reply to topic