Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 am 

Hi folks! This week's album of the week is a doomy classic by Solitude Aeturnus! Let me know your favourite song off the album as well as your thoughts on the album more broadly.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 am 

A 10/10, and a hallmark in the doom genre.

Perfect vocals, concise songwriting, highly memorable songs....their magnum opus.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 am 

Really killer album! Probably my fourth favorite from them- has a couple of my favorite songs they ever did (Only This and Nothing More, Midnight Dreams, and Chapel of Burning are all really nostalgic for me, been listening to them since I was a kid) and does a good job at sort of keeping up with national trends without losing the classic crushing Solitude Aeturnus sound.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:14 am 

I remember finding a copy of this on a study abroad trip to Greece back in 2010. I don’t know if it’s their best but it’s certainly the one I play the most and associate with them. The grungy guitar tone works really well with the epic doom template.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:07 pm 

This and Beyond the Crimson Horizon tie for first place as the best Solitude albums. Lowe's vocals on these first two are everything I could ask for from a metal vocalist. To me these are albums that just play through. I never thought of individual songs, just the album as a whole.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:36 pm 

I discussed this album in one of my YouTube videos back in the late 2010s:

Eyrieux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 am 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Really killer album! Probably my fourth favorite from them- has a couple of my favorite songs they ever did (Only This and Nothing More, Midnight Dreams, and Chapel of Burning are all really nostalgic for me, been listening to them since I was a kid) and does a good job at sort of keeping up with national trends without losing the classic crushing Solitude Aeturnus sound.

Funny then that all songs you mention are not even on the discussed album. Oh, and "Shatter my spirit" as well as "Eternal" are my favourites.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:39 am 

^^ Υeah, I think he is thinking of Downfall, although wouldn't call its tone grungy to be honest. And Phantoms will always be the damn masterpiece on that album!

As for the OP, this is my third favorite Solitude Aeturnus album, third 10/10 in their discography, the one where Robert Lowe switched his vocals to a more "normal" range, he still sounds absolutely fantastic of course. Also the album that went from epic/power doom to a more heavy, solid doom but still keeping a lot of the Solitude Aeturnus character.

Favorite songs, in order: The 9th Day: Awakening, Eternal (Dreams Part II), Pain.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 am 

Eyrieux wrote:
HighwayCorsair wrote:

Funny then that all songs you mention are not even on the discussed album. Oh, and "Shatter my spirit" as well as "Eternal" are my favourites.

hahahahaha I totally got mixed up! Third favorite album then. Even better! Wearing my Solitude Aeturnus shirt rightnow, I'll have to hit Darkest Hour today to repent!
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 pm 

There are no weak SA albums. A fantastic band...happy to hear they're back together.

Reply to topic