Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DarkSkiesGreyWaters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:46 am 

In an interview with Silenoz he claims the band have been working on new material since the pandemic.

https://metalinjection.net/news/silenoz ... us-a-while

He says:
Quote:
"We are working on new stuff," said Silenoz as transcribed by Metal Injection. "We have been working on and off [on the] new stuff for quite a while. During the pandemic there was some downtime where we worked on stuff on our own, like individually, and then we meet and [are] trying to concoct a new brew, so to speak. It's been… I think the fans are like, 'ah you have to get out a new album' and blah blah blah, but the thing is that we'd rather take our time and even take one year extra to make it better than good, if you know what I mean. So obviously we would also like to have an album out as soon as we can, but we're not going to do that."

He later added: "We hope to be active and hope to have more new music out to share with the fans – new fans of course, that's also our aim – but yeah, it takes us a while. I think it's safe to say that the longer people have to wait, the better the result is going to be."

No real intel on when it'll be completed. Can't say I've listened to Dimmu Borgir much in years. They were a formative band for me when I was getting into metal, but the Abrahadabra & Eonian records did nothing for me.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:08 pm 

I'll be surprised if they release anything new sooner than 2026. They have gotten really slow with age and the time they take to make new music doesn't even reflect in the end product's quality in my ears. Abrahabadra had a few moments but Eonian had pretty much only the beginning of Alpha Aeon Omega. Not the mention how much worse Shagrath's voice has gotten over the years.

They would probably be a huge band if they moved faster. I feel they have gotten smaller than what they were circa In Sorte Diaboli.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 pm 

Firing one of the best parts of the band (the bassist/clean vocalist) didn't help either since Vortex's vocals were actually really good when they used them.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:58 pm 

Most of the people who made the band something special are either gone (ICS Vortex, Nick Barker, Mustis) or were reduced to a nominal level of contribution (Galder). Once Shagrath and Silenoz forced out everyone who could challenge them, the band turned into a theme park version of itself. Eonian was ass and I don't see this not being a complimentary pilonidal cyst.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:08 pm 

They probably just ran out of ideas so hard to find motivation to write? That's my guess, anyway.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:15 pm 

They've been saying this for years and we have yet to see the fruits of their labor.

Also, much like you, the last couple albums haven't done much for me. I like everything else, though... and I'll give whatever new material they put out a chance.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:55 pm 

mmmm since in sorte diaboli i lost the interest

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:58 pm 

Honestly, IMO, their peaks were Stormblast, EDT, PME and DCA, though I'm in the minority here for the last two. ISD was already a step down from the previous two.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:26 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Honestly, IMO, their peaks were Stormblast, EDT, PME and DCA, though I'm in the minority here for the last two. ISD was already a step down from the previous two.

Haha. Yeah I stopped paying attention to them right around the DCA-era. Of course that was over 20 years ago at this point wow. They were a gateway band for me and while I still enjoy DCA and down, it just doesn't hit me the same.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:29 pm 

I don't mean to be "that guy", but didn't these guys stop being sorta relevant over two decades ago? Could someone who enjoys their post Death Cult Armageddon material tell me what they enjoy about it? I'm just about 90% genuinely curious, and only 10% cynical.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:37 pm 

I lost track of them after In Sorte Diaboli, but they were huge in the mid-2000s along with Cradle of Filth and Children of Bodom, one of the first extreme bands that I got exposed to. They were good, but kind of corny, like most black metal.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:47 pm 

Can’t wait for them to take four more years on an album that’ll end up just being *fine*.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:03 pm 

Yeah, I'll be surprised if they get anything released until late next year, Eonian has just barely turned 6 and Abrahadabra was 8 when the former saw the light of day. Their stuff has been passable since Death Cult Armageddon, but nothing since Spiritual Black Dimensions has really grabbed me and beaten me into submission. Cradle Of Filth has been running rings around them since 2008 and I'd honestly have greater anticipation if Odium finally hatches a 27 years in the making successor to The Sad Realm Of The Stars.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:31 pm 

I'd check it out, but besides a few tracks, everything after Death Cult Armageddon doesn't really interest me.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:52 pm 

The best thing about Dimmu Borgir was Fimbulwinter.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:33 pm 

What the people really want at this point is for Galder to finally get that new OMC done. It's only been fifteen goddamn years. It's not like he writes anything for Dimmu at this point, and he just needs to send someone like Gabe Seeber, Jack Blackburn, or Ragnar Sverrisson a message and he's got himself a world-class drummer for the session.

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 pm 

Based on how middle of the road Aeonian was, with the only exception being Alpha Aeon Omega, they're probably busy coming up with an AI to just shit out slightly heavier Nightwish songs for Shagrath to croak over rather than writing any actual, memorial riffs.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:39 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I don't mean to be "that guy", but didn't these guys stop being sorta relevant over two decades ago? Could someone who enjoys their post Death Cult Armageddon material tell me what they enjoy about it? I'm just about 90% genuinely curious, and only 10% cynical.

I actually thought we were all, collectively, "that guy".
I mean... does anyone genuinely still care about this band? And if so... why? There is TONS of incredible black metal constantly being released, of all shapes and sizes, there's a band to cater to all of your heart's desires if only you dig a bit.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:56 am 

Oh look, they finally realized how much deathcore bands were ripping off their whole aesthetic!

(this is a joke...maybe only half though lmao)

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:33 am 

Just retire already, jesus.

They've released a whole two albums in the last 15 or so years and they both fucking sucked.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Reply to topic