Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 am 

Okay, so we had a thread for that song released last year, but new details have been released that warrant a new one. Looks like Graveward's just about finished, and we even have cover art! From their facebook:

Quote:
OK, finally the long journey to finish up Sigh's new album "Graveward" is done. Here are the artwork and the information. Release date will be announced soon!!! Please spread the word!!!

2 and a half years were required to finish up Sigh's 10th studio full-length album "Graveward", which embraces everything from vintage keyboards such as Minimoog and Fender Rhodes to real orchestral instruments.
Each song ended up in having more than 100 tracks and the total amount of the sound data exceeded 100GB.
"Cinematic Horror Metal" should be the best phrase to describe this most layered grandiose album in Sigh's history.
Inspired by a little chat with Fabio Frizzi, well-known for his legendary works for Lucio Fulci's movies like "The Gates of Hell" and "The Beyond", "Graveward" was composed as a homage to Italian zombie flick classics, Hammer Horror Films, and King Diamond.
Of course the musical influence is as wide as ever including aforementioned horror soundtrack composers (Fabio Frizzi, Goblin, James Bernard, Jerry Gold Smith, and John Carpenter), and their roots (Schoenberg, Webern, Stravinsky, Bartok, and Charles Ives), left-of-center rock / metal artists (Celtic Frost, King Diamond, The Beach Boys, Magma and Frank Zappa), Free Jazz (Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, and Peter Brotzmann) and some Central Asian traditional music.
"Graveward" welcomes various guest musicians including Matthew Heafy from Trivium, Fred Leclercq from DragonForce, Niklas Kvarforth from Shining (Sweden) Sakis Tolis from Rotting Christ, Metatron from The Meads of Asphodel and so on. The cover artwork was done by Costin Chioreanu, who worked with Ihsahn, At the Gates, Deicide and Ulver.

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/11025934_10153203608019276_1624073283226349908_n.jpg?oh=45156ede330959794f5981bd6afbcd2f&oe=558F1016

Hopefully we'll get a release date soon. Thoughts? Personally, the Italian horror vibe sounds fascinating to me, and Sigh freaking owns, so I can't wait.

Last edited by Metal_Detector on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:44 am 

fantastic cover art - given the band's track record, i'm looking forward to this immensely :)

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:56 am 

I only brought two metal band shirts with me to England. One of them was Sigh.

I'm waiting.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:46 pm 

Yes. There's absolutely no chance for disappointment. this will be purchased on release without a doubt. Cover art is pretty cool, I expected something different but this looks pretty nice.
Quote:
"Graveward" welcomes various guest musicians including Matthew Heafy from Trivium
[/quote]
Ugh. I really, really hope this means it's a guest solo, because if they let him open his mouth, I'm skipping the track.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Reid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:19 pm 

That cover art is absolutely fantastic, though I'm not sure about the band's current direction- I don't think the new album will be bad, per say, but I can't help but feel that some of In Somniphobia focused on cramming in as many musical influences/instruments as possible at a slight expense of the songwriting (see "Amongst the Phantoms...").

Still, I'm a big enough Sigh fanboy that I'll definitely pick this up. Hopefully they'll explore some of the ambient sensibilities that a lot of the old horror composers (especially John Carpenter) had in spades.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:35 pm 

I liked their previous cover more, but this is alright. I will almost surely get this!

Wombface
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:17 pm 

It feels like 2005 all over again with Sigh and Arcturus releasing albums in the same year. That cover art is simply astonishing. Really excited for this one.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:37 pm 

Excellent cover art and I'm rather a fanboy for Sigh so I can't imagine this will be anything short of incredible. The guest spots do strike me as a little odd though. Not the brilliant Metatron returning once again, of course, but Fred Leclerq from Dragonforce playing bass (or singing) on a Sigh song? And, indeed, Matt Heafy of Trivium who I also hope will be playing guitar since his voice would not be a welcome addition. I suppose it will definitely be interesting to see how they all fit in.

Anyway, roll on this masterclass of horror metal!

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 pm 

The thing that keeps me from listening to Sigh more is how Mirai tends to jam way too many words into the songs (for my taste), and often with similar phrasings. "BLA BLABLABLA BLABLABLA BLABLABLA BLA BLA."

That said I do like the band and am trying to get over it. Cover looks cool for sure.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:19 pm 

Didn't like the last two but I'll probably jewtube a couple tracks.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:50 pm 

Pretty much the only thing Mirai has done wrong in the last two decades is be friends with the Trivium guy. You can see all over Facebook that the band (or at least he and Mikannibal) are really close friends with Matt Heafy so I guess it was just a matter of time before he showed up on a Sigh album, but regardless I'm stoked for this since In Somniphobia is one of those once-in-a-generation albums for me and I adored the track they teased us with last year. Sigh's track record isn't perfect, since basically every I and H album rules while the S and G ones can go either way, but I'm gonna be optimistic that he wrote this album while still riding on the momentum of In Somniphobia.

Pregnantus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:38 am 

Cover art's pretty average honestly, their last two were way better. Also, guest musicians from Trivium and Dragonforce? Seriously? I'm not a Sigh fanboy or anything, so this seems pretty iffy to me.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:08 am 

Rather questionable guests but In Somniphobia was pretty excited so I'll be curious to see how this goes.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:07 pm 

Totally understand a lot of Sigh fans (including myself) not really seeing the guest spots as "selling points", but none of it really sounds like a big deal to me. These musicians are probably friendly guys and people in bands form all sorts of comradeships, often not too related to music itself. I too hope that matt guy just plays some guitar though. :lol:

I'm always somewhat excited when a new Sigh album is in the works. THe last two have been a little disappointing and don't get played by me very often, but I think they may yet have another masterpiece in them. I'm hoping that the new guitarist demands his instrument be amped up in the mix as the last two or even three records had a weak guitar presence.

Mirai really makes it sound appetising with all those influences listed. Been on a huge hammer kick lately....
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:55 pm 

I greatly preferred Scenes From Hell and Hangman's Hymn to In Somniphobia, as an above poster stated they tried to cram in too much at the expensive of the flow of a song, although the cover art was masterful, so I'm keeping my excitement well reserved. If they manage to incorporate heavy synth elements to the fast thrash speed of Scenes From Hell then I'd be highly interested in a full listen.

Reply to topic