Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm 

Hell - I

My personal favorite is III, but I had forgotten how good this is. The vocals are unreal.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 pm 

Fight - Into the Pit

Absolutely love this band. It's somewhat criminal how overlooked War of Words is in the grand metal scheme.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 pm 

Bongripper - Miserable
At the end of the first track I am not too excited for the rest. I only know Hail Satan Worship Doom, so this is interesting and quite a bit different. Much more down and out like the title suggests, with even slower tempos and less groove.

Second track kicked in while writing this and its off to a good start.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:06 am 

Inquisition - Enshrouded By Cryptic Temples of the Cult

I think it's absolutely essential to at least turn Inquisition up to near-anti-social volume to enjoy it properly.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:34 am 

delain - virtue and vice

still fun listen!

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm 

Obituary - Turned Inside Out.

Cool stuff, but can't help noticing the heaviness of the production lessening on "Find The Arise" and everything after that... :ugh:

Anyone else hearing the same?

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:00 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Oh god, that sucks. I've never had any real problems with USPS other than that house mix-up thing. And yes, the US is duty-free which is a nice thing for me. It is true that huge orders make you more likely to skip over things. My personal rule is to try and listen to everything at least once properly behind my nice setup at home before I ever listen to it anywhere else.

I've been fortunate to have only got stung 3 times over the last 2 years. I can see duty being a serious disincentive for Europeans. If I got stung duty on every order, I probably would be ordering from Europe more :lol: I guess places like SA Music, Rockstakk, Disk Heaven, etc are more able to get past customs - plus they ship via air mail, as opposed to EMS. Not sure why my 6 CD orders via EMS from HMV Japan never get charged duty, so I think I'll just keep doing those - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a bunch of stuff coming probably early next week. I have some stuff from a shopping service run including more Iron Attack and that LionDigitaLiz and I have an HMV Japan order consisting of that No Limited Spiral (melodeath), Asura (power metal/J-pop), Ghost Harlem (J-Rock?), and Aphasia (one of the older all-girl hm/hr bands over there).

Not sure what genre Ghost Harlem falls under, but I liked the PV enough to order both of their CDs:

Quote:
Quote:
It also looks like all members are going to contribute songs - no shock, considering how many songs there are :lol: Matatabi wrote the last 2 albums completely.

Didn't know that. Kongo Kyuubi does have a lot of variety on it. Wouldn't guess that it's all from the same guy.

I wouldn't mind seeing their guitarists contribute more - seems weird having a metal band where the guitarists don't write much. Kuroneko penned some of the ballads, plus a couple of their more power metal-ish songs.

Quote:
Quote:
Since they're signed, I'm kinda hoping for a rapid succession of albums. They do have 2 demo mini-albums (before "Dream") with terrible mastering and man I'd love to see every song on those properly re-recorded ("Passion") is from one of those.

Passion is pretty mindblowing piece of work. Everybody solos really tastefully and extremely well. Might be my favourite track on that one.

Did you ever go back and watch that live of that I sent you? :P It has a pretty wicked drum solo on it. Prog rarely, if ever, has that level of energy - its almost bizarre.

Quote:
Yeah, I've been wanting to pick up that Around the Nation album pretty soon. On my next order I suppose. Well, Ibuki is slightly lower pitched, so I can get that much. :lol:

Its grown on me a bit, but I've only played it 3 times. There's definitely some Light Bringer elements at play here. Ibuki wrote all the music and lyrics. I think Michiru's vocals are more cute/girly. Ibuki can wail ok. When she was Destrose's support vocalist after Marina left, I didn't think she had to voice to cover her songs, but after listening to Around the Nation, they actually have similar voices (Marina is more shrieky though).

Quote:
Quote:
[edit]It looks like Alhambra's drummer left and got replaced by Mahatma's drummer (apparently Mahatma will remain active). The good news is, it looks like Alhambra is recording. I'm baffled how Yuhki is pulling this off while recording that new Galneryus and Hibiki is also recording the new Light Bringer and Mardelas. Goddamn workaholics! :P

Damn, I need to try and get the rest of Alhambra's stuff one of these days. Well, I guess these guys have to make a living somehow although I don't really think they get much back on the record deals. Maybe things work differently over there.

I wouldn't mind getting Fadista (even at a semi-high price), but god ordering digipaks is always a bigtime source of stress. Imagine spending $100+ and having it come damaged. Ughh....

Oh, Bridear posted a live clip - they're pretty solid live:

I'm hoping/expecting them to release something later this year.

Terror Squad - Chaosdragon Rising

I've been pretty addicted to this album lately.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:59 am 

Ceremonial Castings - Witches' Dance

The only rip on Youtube of this song is in absolutely horrendous quality, but there are some cool parts to this cover, mainly the low voice Witcher uses for the slow section.

raumr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:57 am 

Falkenbach - Wulfarweijd

Still not sure what language this is, but weijd sounds like veið, which is hunt in Icelandic... anyway, a pretty harmless black metal track with a catchy riff :)

Paganbasque wrote:
The Norwegian triarchy (TOT,TSOTB and Tristania) is the true pinnacle of doom/gothic. Only Draconian has reached the same level and their last two albums are from from what I was expecting. Hopefully with the addition of the new singer they can do it again, but they need a keyboard player

Come one Scandinavians, tell us what the hell do you eat/drink/smoke to bring us some many great bands. :D

+1 for mentioning TSoTB :beer:

Regarding Draconian, I think the first album (and the demos) were excellent gothic/doom, but with Arcane Rain Fell they just made magic, which sadly they have never achieved again.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:30 am 

Binah - A Torpid Blight Of The Spirit

Hurry the fuck up and release another full length already!! This will do for now, but I fuckin' want more dammit. Cavernous, crushing and morbid in a gloriously enthralling way.

My collection

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 am 

Ipsissimus - "The First Secret of Fatima"

Crushing black metal. Hope these guys put out another album in the near future!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm 

Assück - Suffering Quota

Recognizing the Peter Singer quote at the beginning of the song without looking it up totally makes attending uni for 3 years worth it. Singer's wrong though.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Darth Bathory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:14 pm 

Candlemass - Solitude

The perfect doom song - it doesn't slavishly revel in Sabbath-worship, it moves at more than a snail's pace while still retaining a mind-bending heaviness, possesses atmosphere through the instruments and the vocals having room to breathe - it still sounds as good today as it did on release.

And it makes a great one-two punch with My Dying Bride's "Two Winters Only". Go on, try it - you know you want to.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 pm 

Janvs - Fvlgvres

This is one of those albums I always come back to, without ever getting bored of it. They do know how to write catchy music.
Nice Italian Black Metal

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am 

Cannibal Corpse - Scourge of Iron

A strong contender for the heaviest song in the entire fucking universe.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:28 am 

^ :thumbsup:

Satanic Warmaster - Strength & Honour

Just finishing it up, quite a gratifying listen.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 am 

Antichrist - Minotaur
Black magic - Voodoo curse

Holy shit, back to back this is just riff after riff of timeless heavy metal magic.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 am 

raumr wrote:
+1 for mentioning TSoTB :beer:

Regarding Draconian, I think the first album (and the demos) were excellent gothic/doom, but with Arcane Rain Fell they just made magic, which sadly they have never achieved again.

:beer:

Liv Kristine has always been my goodness but TSoTB´s first album is, in my opinion, the best doom-gothic album ever released, those violins were just magic.

I agree, and I would like to add Burning Halo´s 3 new songs, I think they were absolutely fantastic, the perfect balance between the most doom oriented songs of ARF and the slightly more gothic debut. I remember that a friend of mine and me were very excited about the next album, but sadly it was huge disappointment. I think everything started to deteriorate when the keyboardist left the band.

Another rainy day in the beautiful Basque summer . :D

Evilfeast-Morbid rejoice

The perfect soundtrack for those days.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:03 am 

Subrick wrote:

True that, awesome song!

Mekong Delta - Purification :headbang:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am 

Bal-Sagoth - Invocations Beyond the Outer World Night

Instantly memorable, unique in its scope and style and with killer riffs and vocals - the deep-throated narrations and raspy howls are played off one another expertly. This is strange but near-flawless metal composition.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:01 am 

Bolzer- Soma EP

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 am 

Execration - Unction

Odes of the Occult is a great album! It has the great old-school organic production coupled with the music which is a mix of old school and just modern developments on the old school black/death sound. Very good!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 pm 

Nagelfar - "Seelenland "

New to the band. So far from what I've heard, very good black metal.

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 pm 

Carnivore - Armageddon

KILL EACH OTHER!!!

forestcorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:42 pm 

Arckanum - Þæn Vredhgadi Svarti Loghin

This band is killer, lots of atmosphere.
Love to stand and watch over the forest while playing this.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:17 pm 

Goathammer - Born of Avernus

Ferocious, filthy, blackened, grime-encrusted and vicious. Some of the most hostile and suffocating music I've listened to in a while, sitting somewhere between oldschool death metal, black metal and bestial black/death metal - they were just added to the archives earlier, but damn I can see them catching on. I recommend them thoroughly.
Heavy-Metal Spotlight: Reviews of the renowned and the obscure. Most Recently: Live Review #12: Manilla Road w/ Firebrand Super Rock and Farseer
I drum haphazardly in: Nolti Nan Gana Nan Nolta -- "Death By The Venomhammer" EP available on Bandcamp

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:47 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
I've been fortunate to have only got stung 3 times over the last 2 years. I can see duty being a serious disincentive for Europeans. If I got stung duty on every order, I probably would be ordering from Europe more :lol: I guess places like SA Music, Rockstakk, Disk Heaven, etc are more able to get past customs - plus they ship via air mail, as opposed to EMS. Not sure why my 6 CD orders via EMS from HMV Japan never get charged duty, so I think I'll just keep doing those - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a bunch of stuff coming probably early next week. I have some stuff from a shopping service run including more Iron Attack and that LionDigitaLiz and I have an HMV Japan order consisting of that No Limited Spiral (melodeath), Asura (power metal/J-pop), Ghost Harlem (J-Rock?), and Aphasia (one of the older all-girl hm/hr bands over there).

Some of my stuff is still sitting on backorder which is delaying everything else. HMV extended the wait time to 8-15 days on those, so I guess nobody else will be deceived like me. :lol: Shouldn't be a big deal though since all of that stuff is just on order from Gargoyle's label, First Cell, and the website says they're all still in stock. Curiously enough, HMV doesn't carry their “Kisho” or “Kurromitten” for some reason (CDJapan does, so that's not a big deal).[/quote]

Quote:
Not sure what genre Ghost Harlem falls under, but I liked the PV enough to order both of their CDs:

I did like how there was a dirty, punkish tone in the guitars despite the clean, crisp production. Eh, the breakdown though is definitely not my thing. :lol: It's not bad though.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing their guitarists contribute more - seems weird having a metal band where the guitarists don't write much. Kuroneko penned some of the ballads, plus a couple of their more power metal-ish songs.

That is rather weird now that you mention it. I'm pretty sure the majority of songwriters end up either being the vocalist or the guitarist.

Quote:
Did you ever go back and watch that live of that I sent you? :P It has a pretty wicked drum solo on it. Prog rarely, if ever, has that level of energy - its almost bizarre.

Admitedly, I forgot to give it a look until you brought it up just now.

Passion is basically jazz, so I'm not sure about calling that one prog. :lol: That drum solo was straight up jazz and quite good.

Quote:
Its grown on me a bit, but I've only played it 3 times. There's definitely some Light Bringer elements at play here. Ibuki wrote all the music and lyrics. I think Michiru's vocals are more cute/girly. Ibuki can wail ok. When she was Destrose's support vocalist after Marina left, I didn't think she had to voice to cover her songs, but after listening to Around the Nation, they actually have similar voices (Marina is more shrieky though).

I'm sure I'll like it if it ends up feeling like “Dance Bringer” like the preview seems to indicate.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind getting Fadista (even at a semi-high price), but god ordering digipaks is always a bigtime source of stress. Imagine spending $100+ and having it come damaged. Ughh....

Fadista didn't seem too bad pricewise last time I checked, but I have no idea why Solitude is so damn expensive. At least Siegfried is still around, I should grab that one of these days.

Quote:

Admittedly, this is quite a bit heavier than I anticipated. I'd love to see them release EP or album as well.

Gargoyle – ぴいちくぱあちく

Gotta love how the chorus consists of Kiba yelling at you to shutup. One of their best straight-up thrash tracks.

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:36 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Some of my stuff is still sitting on backorder which is delaying everything else. HMV extended the wait time to 8-15 days on those, so I guess nobody else will be deceived like me. :lol: Shouldn't be a big deal though since all of that stuff is just on order from Gargoyle's label, First Cell, and the website says they're all still in stock. Curiously enough, HMV doesn't carry their “Kisho” or “Kurromitten” for some reason (CDJapan does, so that's not a big deal).

I had to get the new Danger Gang and Skywings from CD Japan. Not sure why HMV doesn't carry a couple Skywings CDs or Tenrin's debut. If something is a risk of backorder, sometimes I'll get it from CD Japan (and vice versa). I had some Inugami Circus-Dan CDs which were on backorder come in stock pretty fast. I guess you have to factor in how big the label they're on and if they're in stock at the physical chain stores (there's a way to check product availability in stores there). Mind you, some independent stuff can come in fast despite being on "backorder", and other times they can't stock it at all.

Quote:
I did like how there was a dirty, punkish tone in the guitars despite the clean, crisp production. Eh, the breakdown though is definitely not my thing. :lol: It's not bad though.

Normally I hate breakdowns, but they way they did it didn't bother me too much. It was more for groove as opposed to trying to stir up a brotard moshpit or something. They have a song called "PINK or DIE" (caps in original) lol True to VK form, their guitarist is a guy and the bassist is a chick.

Quote:
Quote:

That is rather weird now that you mention it. I'm pretty sure the majority of songwriters end up either being the vocalist or the guitarist.

That's why bands like Albion (well, before Rino left) and Mahatma were odd because their drummers wrote a lot of the songs. Over here, we have bands like Iron Maiden and Manowar where the bassist writes a lot of the material.

I'm sure with a lot of Japanese bands, the bassists probably write their own lines.

Quote:
Quote:

Admitedly, I forgot to give it a look until you brought it up just now.

Passion is basically jazz, so I'm not sure about calling that one prog. :lol: That drum solo was straight up jazz and quite good.

Jazz is as much of a snoozefest as prog :lol: But yeah, some of their stuff is pretty much jazz (or jazz-rock... fusion?) I will never get over how Japan can have bands like these with female vocalists who are totally into it. There have been prog bands over here with female vocals, but its pretty... uninspired/boring.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure I'll like it if it ends up feeling like “Dance Bringer” like the preview seems to indicate.

Wasn't quite as dancy as I expected, but it was pretty poppy at any rate. If google translate is correct, it looks like Kazu (Art of Gradation) may be performing with them live or something.

Here's another band that shares a member with Around the Nation (not sure which one) and I think Actroid's ex-drummer is their support drummer:

I found them to be pretty good pop/rock/whatever - good enough to buy the CD at any rate. Scary how interrelated these bands are - this one tours with quite a few metal bands I listen to.

Quote:
Quote:

Fadista didn't seem too bad pricewise last time I checked, but I have no idea why Solitude is so damn expensive. At least Siegfried is still around, I should grab that one of these days.

Fadista is usually around 50, I think... but Solitude is over 200 usually. And its a newer album. Maybe there were less copies pressed or something? I still think I'm gonna hold out for reissues. Thankfully Siegfried is in print and probably will be for awhile - stuff on "Bang the Head" records seems to stay in print for awhile.

Quote:

Admittedly, this is quite a bit heavier than I anticipated. I'd love to see them release EP or album as well.[/quote]
They did release a MCD "Overturn the Doom" late last December - definitely worth getting. If you can find the single "Thread of the Light", I'd advise getting that too - the version of the A side is a bit different than the MCD version - its quite a bit heavier (its the version used in the PV, the MCD version is more polished/melodic). The B-side "Roulette" is really cool too. Their demo CDr "Pray" I wouldn't get too worked up getting - both songs are on the MCD and are improved on. Its a cool thing to own though - I snagged it from Disk Heaven last year for pretty cheap.

The problem with these 2 EPs are - I played both of them over 30 times, so once I got the MCD, I was already burnt out on those songs.

I pre-ordered that DenKare box set ("Red Box") via Noppin - fuck I want that bad. Like almost as much as Light Bringer and Onmyo-Za :lol: First disc is a collection of stuff from soundtracks and whatnot, the other is an original full-length. Despite them keeping their identities secret, they did a PV haha

I like how you can't see any of the band members :lol: Makes me wonder how they do lives (they did do a concert a couple years ago and have an upcoming one).

Aldious "Megalomaniac"

Surprisingly raw and aggressive, with a pretty nice solo section.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:53 am 

themicrulah wrote:
Execration - Unction

Odes of the Occult is a great album! It has the great old-school organic production coupled with the music which is a mix of old school and just modern developments on the old school black/death sound. Very good!

And that's what I'm listening to right now. Hopefully the new album will match this one in terms of quality

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:16 am 

Grave Digger - Satan's Host

Boltendahl screaming "Suck my dick!!" is just fucking hilarious! This album kicks so much ass.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:41 am 

Cannibal Corpse - Gallery of Suicide

The moment in the song where it busts into the initial burst of blasting is among the all time greatest moments in any death metal song.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:15 am 

Oathbreaker - Fate Is High

This is some mean female-fronted hardcore. Absolutely loving the Mælstrøm album and I hear the 2013 follow-up is even better. Thanks Tony for hooking me up with this.

Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:26 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Without a doubt my favorite CC song currently :headbang:

As for me, "Grave Desecrator" by Grave Digger. Just another great track off another great album by Grave Digger.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:34 pm 

Unlord: Gladiator

just love this band. I feel they don't get enough praise. Also love how it's almost like grind black metal in the sense of the constant stream of upfront blast beats instead of where other bands have constant blast beats but they are more of a backing while it seems here that they are the driving force. also helps that the drums are punchy as fuck to push them out there.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:38 pm 

Falkenbach - Asa [album]

First time listening to the new(ish) album. Clearly it's business as usual in the Falkenbach camp, this sounds very much as accustomed - not in an unpleasant way, but the tracks are certainly on the short side; not too many epic sagas here.
Heavy-Metal Spotlight: Reviews of the renowned and the obscure. Most Recently: Live Review #12: Manilla Road w/ Firebrand Super Rock and Farseer
I drum haphazardly in: Nolti Nan Gana Nan Nolta -- "Death By The Venomhammer" EP available on Bandcamp

Necrostalker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:01 pm 

Manilla Road - The Fires of Mars

Never listened MR before , and i´m loving . Specially the Mark of the Beast album .

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:09 am 

Twisted Tower Dire - At Night

An all time favorite! Gets me singing/air drumming/air guitarring every time.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:37 am 

Autopsy - Tourniquets, Hacksaws and Graves

One of the most consistent bands out there, 27 years and still going strong.
Reifert is an absolute beast on the track 'Burial'.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:24 am 

Cauldron Black Ram - Maw

Fucking cool black metal hearkening back to Hellhammer with shades of Venom, early Morbid Angel and other bands like those. Really good.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:13 am 

Imperium Dekadenz - Ocean, Mountains Mirror

I shouldn't like Imperium Dekadenz, but I do. They're overly melodic and have almost no variety regarding playing technique. But they know how to sustain a certain hypnotic mood.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1466, 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470, 1471, 1472 ... 1496  Next