* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:58 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Rat in a Bucket: Ugliness and Failure

been awhile since I pulled this out and listened. And hearing it makes me miss the band all the more.

Ah man me too. And also Haarp. Have you listened to those dudes new band Gristnam yet? It's way more like RitB than Haarp was, but still fresh. I saw them open a show at Siberia late last year, and they killed it.

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm 

Ningen-Isu "Mandoro"

This keeps getting better with each listen. I can't think of too many bands with their 17th album of this quality. Now I wish their latest CD would arrive in the mail (it hasn't even been scanned in at customs yet).

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:32 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Classy wrote:
Savatage - The Wake of Magellan

Savatage always seems to be a fitting early morning listen to me. Not sure why, but I always seem to appreciate it more when I am just waking up.

Wow...haven't thought about that album in a long time. Think I'll give it a go right now. :)

Well, there is a song called "Morning Sun." :D

I absolutely adored that album when I had just started listening to metal. These days the theatricality seems a bit bland and the pacing lopsided as hell - and I certainly understand why old-time Tage fans dislike it - but I still have to admit the incredible pomposity gives it a strange charm. And Morning Sun + the title track are absolute classics in spite of anything else on the album.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 pm 

Mayhem - Chimera

A few tracks in. Reasonably solid! I like that the liner notes give a diagram of Hellhammer's drum set up.

Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:19 pm 

Human Fortress - Knights in Shining Armour, off Defenders of the Crown

Joti Parcharidis has seriously fucking metal pipes. It's a real shame he pretty much disappeared from the metal scene by now.
I wish I had a black hole and an infinite supply of B83 atomic bombs, each time letting the heat barely rub against all of you before sucking it back with a black hole so I could slowly nuke the previous page over and over again for all time.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 pm 

Casualties Of Cool (Devin Townsend) - Daddy

Oh my god. My ears. My ears are in love. What a brilliant album. Very likey not up everyone's alleyway, but goddamnit, it should be.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:15 am 

Incantation - Emaciated Holy Figure

Got "Mortal Throne of Nazarene" in the mail yesterday but it was a defective CD so I had to send it back. At least I have this digital download that came with the purchase to satisfy me in the meantime.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 am 

Spoiler: show
Perdition666 wrote:
Not a problem. Gives me time to find something interesting. For instance, the trailer for that upcoming Gauntlet album:

Already have this pre-ordered, but suffice to say, I want this bad.

That does sound pretty great. I’ll be putting it off until later though since there’s still so much stuff I want. Maybe in like 3 orders. My last order actually ended up growing to 18 albums, so that'll probably be all for me this month. Thank goodness I have another summer job now. Stuff is not cheap.

Quote:
I'm surprised there hasn't been a single released yet. Like, Angel of Salvation had a single and EP released beforehand. You know, I wouldn't be shocked if this was a double-album.

A single or something would be really nice. They do usually have one out by now.

Quote:
It looks like both albums have 12 tracks each, so I guess neither are gonna be 40 minute affairs. There doesn't appear to be any suites either. I guess they got burned out with suites since Kishi Bojin was a 12-part one.

Oh boy, the price for these two (this one?) might be a little steep. :lol: Damn you King Records. I don’t think anybody has higher prices than Universal Music Japan though. King at least seems to eventually mark older stuff down, but Universal Music Japan leaves everything at around 3200 yen.

Quote:
Thank fuck that finally arrived. I think stuff like this is why I like tracking & signature required. That album is pretty rad, I think I should give it a play today. That instrumental towards the end is pretty insane. I swear one part it sounds like the guitars and drums are going in different time signatures or something. Did you want me to fire over the 2 singles they did between "Time is" and "Re:generation"? The only way to get them is from Disk Union via a shopping service and they're out of stock. Dream is a regular single (no obi) and 生きとし生けるもの is a pro-printed CDr (non-playing side looks like a real CD). Reason I'm offering is 生きとし生けるもの is my favorite song by them and its shockingly not on "Re:generation".

Yeah, it was supposed to be just one quick grab off my usual schedule, but it took a bit longer. But god damn, that album was really diverse (which is good). You get the progressive metal, jpop, jazz and even djent. Crazy good; I’ve already played it lots of times. And yeah, that instrumental near the end is pretty ridiculous. I’d love to have those singles though (didn’t even know they existed).

Quote:
Yeah, its pretty overwhelming. Hence why I specialized. :lol: And I'm still discovering tons of new stuff, its insane. Well, Japan's market is around the size of the US, which is pretty mind-boggling because it has like 1/3rd the people. Mind you, CDs cost 2-3 times as much, so maybe that's why. :lol:

I’m just trying to do rock and metal, but that’s already a huge category. Not really sure if you can call that “specialized.”

Quote:
What did he think of Sho?

“He sounds like a girl.” Even worse. :lol:

Quote:
I think Japan is the only place in the world that can get away with this sort of thing. Its disturbing how they pull that shit off so convincingly. Over here, it'd sound utterly retarded. There certainly isn't any market for that sort of thing in the metal community over here. Hell, I'm sure something like Aldious or Light Bringer would get flak over here due to visuals alone.

Surely the “neckbeard” guys on the internet into death metal would have a taste for this. Well, I guess you’d have to actually have good bands in the first place. Over there, it seems like the bands can get gimmicky as hell visually, but still make good music. Here, it’s either one of the other most of the time.
Quote:
I kinda expected jazz elements from reviews I read ages ago. Not sure what my favorite album is. "Reflections" is of course good, but that one is actually a compilation, not an album. I think I like Tales of Historia and Chronostrings pretty evenly at the moment.

Ah, I actually try to avoid reviews for bands I already like on albums I don’t have. It’s like a spoiler for me that I don’t want to know unless the new album is really bad or something. I did recently notice that Tales of Historia has some really great basswork, so ranking these just got harder.

Quote:
I kinda dug it, but I think I'm more prone to electronic stuff. Let's hope this sort of thing doesn't get into Albion's music :lol:

There’s a line somewhere between electronic and acoustic, when crossed, causes me to lose interest. I’m not really sure where it is either. I agree with you on the last statement, of course. :lol:
Quote:
Yeah, as predicted, the CD version sounded a lot better. The production is still somewhat gritty/raw though, and of course too loud. But almost everything is ear-splittingly loud these days. I guess this album doesn't cause me physical pain, so that's a plus!
This album is holding out pretty well for me. I think the bass steals the show on many of the songs. I may have made the mistake (AGAIN!) of playing it too many times in too short of a period of time and burning myself out. :lol:

I guess some people might hate me for saying this, but I really don’t mind super-loud modern productions as long as all the instruments are clear, the tones are good, etc. I just don’t think that old albums (especially ones recorded on analog) should be remastered that way, but it’s fine for modern stuff.

Gargoyle – からっぽ
Toshi’s slap bass playing on this is pretty amazing and makes this one of my favorite Gargoyle tracks. Tsuki no Toge is probably my favorite album from them at the moment, and that’s saying a lot by Gargoyle standards.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:17 pm 

Tarot - I Rule

Been going through the old Tarot albums recently, but I'm sorry, nothing tops this one.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:23 pm 

Exhorder - Legions of Death

First time listening to this band, introduced to it by that Pantera thread. It's like a really good mash up of Pantera's vocals and Slayer's guitars. I'm enjoying it so far.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:25 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
Exhorder - Legions of Death

First time listening to this band, introduced to it by that Pantera thread. It's like a really good mash up of Pantera's vocals and Slayer's guitars. I'm enjoying it so far.

I was listening to that song yesterday, actually. One of my favorite thrash riffs of all time at 0:45.

Right now I am trying to listen to the new Epica album. I don't know so far..."Victims of Contingency" does rule though.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:25 pm 

World Burns to Death - The Sucking of the Missile Cock LP

It's a crust fucking punk night.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 pm 

Meshuggah - Rational Gaze

This band has never been not awesome for me. Fitting that the unwitting creators of djent are the only band to ever do it right.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:59 pm 

Exhorder - Death in Vain, off Slaughter in the Vatican.

Haven't touched thrash in a long time. This, however, is a terrific way to go back to it. SITV's guitar tone stills rocks my shit.
I wish I had a black hole and an infinite supply of B83 atomic bombs, each time letting the heat barely rub against all of you before sucking it back with a black hole so I could slowly nuke the previous page over and over again for all time.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:38 am 

Triptykon-Boleskine House

What a song, what an eerie and beautiful female vocals....

ScandalfTheShite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:52 am 

Pentagram - Vampyre Love

Used to like Be Forewarned as Pentagram's best album, but then I understood the greatness of Day of Reckoning. A little muddy sounds this has, but the riffs are monstrous.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:18 am 

In Flames - Moonshield

This is one of the albums of my youth, I'm really glad I own it on CD now.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:33 pm 

Theatre of Tragedy - Der Tanz Der Schatten

Practically perfect gothic metal.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:34 pm 

Alhambra - A Far Cry To You

A 14 minute power/progressive metal epic. Great stuff.

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:08 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Not a problem. Gives me time to find something interesting. For instance, the trailer for that upcoming Gauntlet album:

Already have this pre-ordered, but suffice to say, I want this bad.

That does sound pretty great. I’ll be putting it off until later though since there’s still so much stuff I want. Maybe in like 3 orders. My last order actually ended up growing to 18 albums, so that'll probably be all for me this month. Thank goodness I have another summer job now. Stuff is not cheap.

Yeah, and that one probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon (being on Spiritual Beast and all).

Quote:
Quote:
I'm surprised there hasn't been a single released yet. Like, Angel of Salvation had a single and EP released beforehand. You know, I wouldn't be shocked if this was a double-album.

A single or something would be really nice. They do usually have one out by now.

I don't recall "Phoenix Rising" having anything preceding it either.

Quote:
Quote:
It looks like both albums have 12 tracks each, so I guess neither are gonna be 40 minute affairs. There doesn't appear to be any suites either. I guess they got burned out with suites since Kishi Bojin was a 12-part one.

Oh boy, the price for these two (this one?) might be a little steep. :lol: Damn you King Records. I don’t think anybody has higher prices than Universal Music Japan though. King at least seems to eventually mark older stuff down, but Universal Music Japan leaves everything at around 3200 yen.

They'll probably be 3000 yen each. This is Japan we're taking about here :lol: VAP used to have those Galneryus CDs at full price for the longest time. Its only recently where they're available for multibuy discount at HMV Japan.

It looks like one of the Onmyo-Za CDs has a wind theme and the other one a thunder/lightning one.

Quote:
Yeah, it was supposed to be just one quick grab off my usual schedule, but it took a bit longer. But god damn, that album was really diverse (which is good). You get the progressive metal, jpop, jazz and even djent. Crazy good; I’ve already played it lots of times. And yeah, that instrumental near the end is pretty ridiculous. I’d love to have those singles though (didn’t even know they existed).

I'm uploading those singles as we speak and will PM you the link later. There's like only one exclusive song on each though, but they're worth hearing.

I may've misinterpreted a blog post - their guitarist may not be leaving (thank fuck). That's the hazard of google translate coupled with paranoia :lol:

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, its pretty overwhelming. Hence why I specialized. :lol: And I'm still discovering tons of new stuff, its insane. Well, Japan's market is around the size of the US, which is pretty mind-boggling because it has like 1/3rd the people. Mind you, CDs cost 2-3 times as much, so maybe that's why. :lol:

I’m just trying to do rock and metal, but that’s already a huge category. Not really sure if you can call that “specialized.”

Metal (most variants) and pop/rock here. Anything gothy I'd probably give a shot too, esp. if it has female vocals. J-prog I wouldn't mind getting more into too. Hell, I've recently started to acquire a taste for oddball Japanese thrash metal. Terror Squad seems to be pretty rad and I already own 5 Manipulated Slaves CDs.

Quote:
Quote:
What did he think of Sho?

“He sounds like a girl.” Even worse. :lol:

Oh man... :lol: I shudder what he'd think of Akira (Prophesia/Azrael) haha

Quote:
Quote:
I think Japan is the only place in the world that can get away with this sort of thing. Its disturbing how they pull that shit off so convincingly. Over here, it'd sound utterly retarded. There certainly isn't any market for that sort of thing in the metal community over here. Hell, I'm sure something like Aldious or Light Bringer would get flak over here due to visuals alone.

Surely the “neckbeard” guys on the internet into death metal would have a taste for this. Well, I guess you’d have to actually have good bands in the first place. Over there, it seems like the bands can get gimmicky as hell visually, but still make good music. Here, it’s either one of the other most of the time.

Yeah, the imagery seems to be an extension of the actual music. Like, I'd still like Aldious as much if they had no visual component.

Quote:
Quote:
I kinda expected jazz elements from reviews I read ages ago. Not sure what my favorite album is. "Reflections" is of course good, but that one is actually a compilation, not an album. I think I like Tales of Historia and Chronostrings pretty evenly at the moment.

Ah, I actually try to avoid reviews for bands I already like on albums I don’t have. It’s like a spoiler for me that I don’t want to know unless the new album is really bad or something. I did recently notice that Tales of Historia has some really great basswork, so ranking these just got harder.

I need to go back and give that a go while only focusing on bass. For some reason with some albums, I'll really notice the bass, but other days I won't. Weird haha

Quote:
Quote:
I kinda dug it, but I think I'm more prone to electronic stuff. Let's hope this sort of thing doesn't get into Albion's music :lol:

There’s a line somewhere between electronic and acoustic, when crossed, causes me to lose interest. I’m not really sure where it is either. I agree with you on the last statement, of course. :lol:

It almost looks like Albion recorded a new song. Maybe we can expect a single from them soon?

Quote:
I guess some people might hate me for saying this, but I really don’t mind super-loud modern productions as long as all the instruments are clear, the tones are good, etc. I just don’t think that old albums (especially ones recorded on analog) should be remastered that way, but it’s fine for modern stuff.

Case-by-case basis with me. Like anything with a dynamic range of 5-6 (dunno if you use that foobar plugin or not) is usually ok with me. Like, Light Bringer is brickwalled to hell, but that's never bothered me. Mary's Blood "Azure" and Tears of Tragedy's last one are actually too loud for my tastes and are borderline painful for me to listen to though. Its strange, I have a few albums with a DR rating of 3 and they don't bother me that much (latest SoundWitch and Gacharic Spin).

Old albums that get a loudness boost almost always sound like total ass to my ears.

Liv Moon "Symphonic Moon"

Not as good as Golden Moon, but this one turned out to be a lot better than I expected.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:45 pm 

Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad

A few months ago I released I've never listened to Taake so I'm making my way through the discography slowly. This is my favorite so far, I love it when black metal bands aren't afraid of catchy-as-all-fuck melodies.

Lastfm

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Yeah, and that one probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon (being on Spiritual Beast and all).

Well, I have it currently slated for my order next month, so only about a week after it is released. I think I'm going to switch to one big order (12-18 CDs) instead. You spend quite a bit less on shipping that way.

Quote:
I don't recall "Phoenix Rising" having anything preceding it either.

Nah there was an EP for it.

Quote:
They'll probably be 3000 yen each. This is Japan we're taking about here :lol: VAP used to have those Galneryus CDs at full price for the longest time. Its only recently where they're available for multibuy discount at HMV Japan.

It looks like one of the Onmyo-Za CDs has a wind theme and the other one a thunder/lightning one.

Man, Jupiter's CD was only in the stupid SMH-CD format, so I had to pay even more for that one. Everything on Universal Japan costs so much. These guys are wringing me dry.

Those themes sound really cool though. Not sure exactly how that translate sonically though. I guess thunder one would be heavier and the wind one would be lighter.

Quote:
I'm uploading those singles as we speak and will PM you the link later. There's like only one exclusive song on each though, but they're worth hearing.

I may've misinterpreted a blog post - their guitarist may not be leaving (thank fuck). That's the hazard of google trnslate coupled with paranoia :lol:

Oh thank god. It's way too soon to just break up right after the debut. They need more material.

Quote:
Metal (most variants) and pop/rock here. Anything gothy I'd probably give a shot too, esp. if it has female vocals. J-prog I wouldn't mind getting more into too. Hell, I've recently started to acquire a taste for oddball Japanese thrash metal. Terror Squad seems to be pretty rad and I already own 5 Manipulated Slaves Cds.

Well Gargoyle are the kings of strange Japanese thrash metal. :lol: Those guys sound interesting though, I'll check them out.

Quote:
Yeah, the imagery seems to be an extension of the actual music. Like, I'd still like Aldious as much if they had no visual component.

Sometimes I wonder what some of these guys are trying to convey. Some of them seem just random.

Quote:
I need to go back and give that a go while only focusing on bass. For some reason with some albums, I'll really notice the bass, but other days I won't. Weird haha

It's the same for me. It randomly appears and disappears for me. I'm not sure why; I guess the music is just that busy.

Quote:
It almost looks like Albion recorded a new song. Maybe we can expect a single from them soon?

Man, that's pretty fast. Well, as long as it sounds good.

Quote:
Case-by-case basis with me. Like anything with a dynamic range of 5-6 (dunno if you use that foobar plugin or not) is usually ok with me. Like, Light Bringer is brickwalled to hell, but that's never bothered me. Mary's Blood "Azure" and Tears of Tragedy's last one are actually too loud for my tastes and are borderline painful for me to listen to though. Its strange, I have a few albums with a DR rating of 3 and they don't bother me that much (latest SoundWitch and Gacharic Spin).

Yeah, I do like the production on some albums that are ridiculously brickwalled. I dunno any specifics about recording techniques or anything like that, but just do a good job and I'll be happy. :lol:

MinstreliX - Cruel Mockery

Awesome power metal. Love the bass slaps in this one.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 pm 

Visigoth - Final Spell

While we have a couple of folks that think there's no true metal worthwhile being made these days with one even opting to listen to the new mediocre Judas Priest album than anything new, I'm headbanging, fist pumping, horns held high (my wife thinks I'm having some sort of fit) to this ass kicking metal EP. If you don't know about these guys, find out!!
Tony's rules of life #592: if you don't like Sodom's Agent Orange, you're a poser and must be punched several times by Tom Angelripper.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:34 am 

Desecresy - Chasmic Transcendence

My first listen and contrary to what folks have said, its not a bad album.
gotta love the rhythm they create.
I dig, just like the previous one

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 am 

Death Strike - Mangled Dehumanization

True death metal :np:

ScandalfTheShite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am 

Reverend Bizarre - Funeral Summer

I like how they drag forever in this slow and heavy shit, and then come up with some catchy fast riff. It's the formula they use quite often. And it works!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:35 pm 

Visigoth - Creature of Desire

OK, yeah, this is pretty fuckin cool. Vocals are maybe a bit too omnipresent especially with the layers, but the singer is pretty awesome and the riffs are fairly killer. Promising stuff.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Visigoth - Creature of Desire

OK, yeah, this is pretty fuckin cool. Vocals are maybe a bit too omnipresent especially with the layers, but the singer is pretty awesome and the riffs are fairly killer. Promising stuff.

The vocalist also has an epic/folk black metal band that's also pretty good. Those vocal layers kinda remind me of Iron Savior a bit. I'm anxiously awaiting a full length from these guys.
Tony's rules of life #592: if you don't like Sodom's Agent Orange, you're a poser and must be punched several times by Tom Angelripper.

The Elitist Metalhead

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm 

Question - Doomed Passages

Very good old school Death Metal from Mexico

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:43 pm 

Enthauptung - "Primal Truth" from A Forming Void

Another Bandcamp gem that I've come across recently

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:00 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Well, I have it currently slated for my order next month, so only about a week after it is released. I think I'm going to switch to one big order (12-18 CDs) instead. You spend quite a bit less on shipping that way.

There's definitely a savings with larger orders. I find 6 is the sweet-spot for me, but I think 12 CDs is like 3200 yen or something. Where you get fucked is 1-2 CDs (esp. 1). I'm doing some shopping service runs atm as well. I'm going after the 1st Manipulated Slaves CD and I think I'm gonna go for the first Terror Squad and all 3 Fatima Hill albums. Fatima Hill I heard ages ago, but couldn't get past the vocals. Those vox are weaksauce compared to some of the shit I listen to now though :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

Man, Jupiter's CD was only in the stupid SMH-CD format, so I had to pay even more for that one. Everything on Universal Japan costs so much. These guys are wringing me dry.

Do SHM-CDs actually provide any benefit, or is it just another cash-grab? I guess with all these fancy formats, they're only as good as the master.

Quote:
Quote:
Those themes sound really cool though. Not sure exactly how that translate sonically though. I guess thunder one would be heavier and the wind one would be lighter.

There's a song on one of them called Kamikaze - they ripped Tengusakura off :P Man, this fall can't come soon enough.

Quote:

I may've misinterpreted a blog post - their guitarist may not be leaving (thank fuck). That's the hazard of google trnslate coupled with paranoia :lol:

Oh thank god. It's way too soon to just break up right after the debut. They need more material.

Indeed, esp. since they toiled in the underground for like a decade. It almost looks like they have a full-time bassist now, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Quote:
Metal (most variants) and pop/rock here. Anything gothy I'd probably give a shot too, esp. if it has female vocals. J-prog I wouldn't mind getting more into too. Hell, I've recently started to acquire a taste for oddball Japanese thrash metal. Terror Squad seems to be pretty rad and I already own 5 Manipulated Slaves Cds.

Well Gargoyle are the kings of strange Japanese thrash metal. :lol: Those guys sound interesting though, I'll check them out.

Manipulated Slaves is a strange mix of melodeath, thrash, 80s heavy metal, and 90s gothic/doom metal. One minute it'll be blast-beat driven insanity, then there will be violins and female vocals, etc. I can see this being really jarring to those not into this style. I dig it just fine though. I think their latest may be their best one.

Volcano is one I probably should check out sometime.

Quote:
Quote:

Sometimes I wonder what some of these guys are trying to convey. Some of them seem just random.

And it doesn't help the lyrics being in Japanese, so I have no clue what's going on. So I guess I'm left to my own devices, and this weird, fucked-up imagery :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

It's the same for me. It randomly appears and disappears for me. I'm not sure why; I guess the music is just that busy.

I guess if I'm actively paying attention (for whatever reason) it becomes more noticeable, but sometimes its impossible to ignore. Like that last Aldious has pretty blatant basswork. Not sure why I didn't notice it on "Dominator" before, its like a bulldozer. Unless the album version has a different mix than the single one. Here's the live version of that one:

Pretty cool slap-bass solo on it.

Quote:
Quote:

Man, that's pretty fast. Well, as long as it sounds good.

I have no doubt in my mind it'll be good. These bands never stop, ever. :lol:

Terror Squad "Chaosdragon Rising"

Man, this album is fucking nuts!

LeonardoS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:20 pm 

Morbid Angel - Enshrined by Grace

Not a masterpiece, but very very nice!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:03 pm 

LeonardoS wrote:
Morbid Angel - Enshrined by Grace

Not a masterpiece, but very very nice!

Yeah, I really do fucking love that song.

Wizard - Taste of Fear

I am not totally sold on all of these guys' stuff, but this album is pretty damn good. Great choruses!

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:14 pm 

Kara no Kyoukai 1 OST - M12+13

Despite the fact these films have the most ass-backwards soundtrack titling scheme, this track is goddamn gorgeous and intense.
Last.fm all day long!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 pm 

Chaos Moon - Altar

This is actually some really nicely done USBM. I wasn't really in a black metal mood but just putting this on brought the temperature of my house down about 20 degrees. lol Seriously though, this new album, Resurrection Extract, is really good.

The Elitist Metalhead

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:12 am 

Ifing - Realms Forged

Absofuckinglutely stunning. Some true grandiose, powerful, and beautiful black metal with a heavy pagan twist. The big, clean vocal sections are spine tingling, mix that with acoustic guitar passages and thick, storm cloud-like chord work and immerse yourself in the atmosphere. Stirring stuff.

My collection

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:09 am 

Wolves in the Throne Room-Two Hunters

One of my favourite albums, what a masterpiece of atmospheric black metal, absolutelly perfect album.

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 am 

Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Definitely my favorite 40 minute song. I really dug Purgatory Afterglow so I figured I'd give it a listen. Dan Swanö is a musical genius.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:35 am 

Steel Prophet - Church of Mind

Really good album, this. They don't have the aggression or complexity of Dark Hallucinations, but they do have strong, nimble guitarwork, layered melodies and a real sense for catchy songs. An addictive experience.

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 am 

Carach Angren - "The Funerary Dirge of a Violinist"

I really like this a lot. I keep telling myself to pick up their other albums but I never do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1464, 1465, 1466, 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470 ... 1486  Next