Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xlxlx
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:28 pm 

Evertale - In the Sign of the Valiant Warrior, off Of Dragons and Elves

From a distance, this may strike you as extremely stereotypical, wimpy Europower. However, a thorough listen will reveal what is essentially the result of a more pissed off modern Blind Guardian raping Rhapsody of Fire to death, the resutling spawn inheriting all of its mother's pomp and none of her crappiness.

This is rather good, is what I'm trying to say.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:39 pm 

Gargoyle - どこかで地虫がないていた

Finally got a new Gargoyle album! I'm not sure how to describe this song. There's some funky bass line thing going on and some really groovy guitars that have a thrashy touch to them. And Kiba is shouting unintelliglbe things at me like usual, but man it's pretty badass.

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 pm 

Kataklysm – Chronicles Of The Damned

Pretty good album

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:15 pm 

Alhambra - God Keeper

Man, this album was everything I wanted it to be and more. Wicked cool instrumental track where everyone tastefully shows off.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:47 pm 

Death - Infernal Death

Listening to Scream Bloody Gore all the way through for the first time in a year or so. It's nice to revisit a cornerstone-record like this with a further-developed knowledge of metal, and I feel like I appreciate it all the more now.

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:08 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
I like the live version of that one a lot. I'm still trying to figure out how Fuki's voice got so powerful between Tales of Almanac and Midnight Circus. Unless Tales of Almanac was recorded a year or two before its release date.

I think she sung that way on purpose on “Tales of Almanac.” The one Dragon Guardian album she did vocals on sounds much more like her powerful voice.

I'm inclined to agree. I actually completed my Dragon Guardian collection recently (bar one compilation). Their discography is really confusing :lol: Each album is pretty much Arthur Brave collaborating with someone. He's done a few albums with MinstreliX's vocalist. I think my favorite albums are his collaborations with Knights of Round (another great Japanese power metal band - worth checking out if you haven't done so already).

Quote:
Quote:
I actually sold off most of the middling shit between 2009 and 2010 - I don't miss a single one of those albums one bit. If I didn't do that, I'd be having a firesale as we speak haha Some power/prog still holds up ok, but a lot of regular power metal is pretty rudimentary, musically. I think I'm becoming spoiled these days.

Yeah, regular power metal is kind of bland musically. Especially the drumming, ugh. So much double bass that it loses all impact and just sounds like a drone.

A lot of the drummers are so uncreative, they might as well use drum machines. One thing I appreciated with MinstreliX (esp. the new album) is the drumming - very creative and fast as fuck too.

Quote:
Quote:
Damn, I didn't even notice that. I probably should go back and play that again hehe Nothing's been confirmed, but I wouldn't be shocked if they do a new album this year.

It's really subtle. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I missed too.

Sometimes I'm so focused on the vocals or melodies that a lot of structural/rhythmic stuff I miss.

Quote:
Quote:
I forgot about internal shipping and service fees. That put it up to 9000 yen. Ick. Oh well, what's done is done and I can stop ulcerating myself over that album. Now watch it get reissued in a month. :lol:

Well, at least you can brag on the internet that you own a rare copy.

Shockingly enough, the item already reached the shopping service I use. That was pretty damn fast. Since they didn't contact me about any bad news, I'm guessing its in ok shape.

Oh, have you heard Tears of Tragedy before? They're another favorite Japanese band of mine. Prison of Abyss is probably their proggiest song and not really a good representation of their sound, but I felt it was a cool one to share first. Here's a live version of an older song.

I noticed a bunch of their stuff that was uploaded to youtube got deleted. Normally I hate piracy and whatnot, but times like this its really convenient to share songs.

Quote:
Quote:
I always find it a good feeling to replace a crappy mp3 rip with my own after I get the CD. I think I understand where old-school death metal fans are coming from with rare albums now - OOP Japanese power metal has a similar allure for me. The music is obviously great, but I think Japanese CDs is also feeding my collectoritis as well :lol:

Nothing quite like collecting out-of-print Japanese metal albums to feed the collector in you eh? I apparently managed to score the pressing of Gargoyle's “Aratama” with the weird, giant booklet. Apparently, it either comes with their 1992 EP or the Hong Kong Guy was just nice and slipped it in. Whatever the case, I pretty much thought I'd never be able to find that one, so that was a really good surprise.

Its pretty cool to get albums when they come out then watch them become collectors items. I really wish I started with Japanese music back in say... 2008. I could've sidestepped buying a lot of 3rd-rate Euro-metal and got Light Bringer and MinstreliX's debuts when they first came out. Its funny, back around then I was dabbling with stuff like Wizards' Hymn, Area51, etc. Amazed I didn't get into Galneryus then, I was certainly aware of them. Maybe the pricetag for the CDs scared me off.

Quote:
Quote:
Their vocalist allegedly sings for DenKare (Denkishiki Karen Ongaku Shuudan) - not sure why they're so secretive about that. They're probably the band that started my interest in Japanese power metal - at that time, I considered power metal completely dead. I couple of my favorites:

Distorted Pain
White Wedding

Definitely sounds exactly like her. I'm not exactly sure why you'd try to hide it either. Great tracks though.

Probably label issues or something. Like they couldn't see through this haha Its funny, initially I assumed most Japanese female vocalists sounded like Yui, and 18 months later, I can't think of too many vocalists who sound like her. Oh, that chick in Rose & Rosary does.

Some of DenKare's stuff is flatout J-pop

Quote:
Quote:
Same here. MinstreliX's melodeath songs are also pretty complicated and have neoclassical parts. That "Through the Gates of Death" EP is really nice.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be getting both of those EPs/singles in today. I'm been liking MinstreliX's stuff way more than I thought I would. I also just realized today that their new keyboardist actually is a girl and not a crossdressing guy. :lol:

Yup, Aoi is a girl. Pretty talented too. Their old keyboardist Yui (always thought that was a girl's name, but I guess not) was pretty good too. His current project Roman So Words is worth checking out. MinstreliX's guitarist has done guest guitar for them, along with Crying Machine's guitarist. Hell, Hibiki did some guest bass on their latest single. They're a lot more theatric/dramatic than MinstreliX and have female vocals. Only Japan could pull this shit off :lol: Speaking of which, Marchen Station is worth checking out too - they're even more bombastic and over the top. MinstreliX's vocalist sings for them (he's in a lot of bands, actually).

Quote:
Quote:
Destrose's vocalist Marina recently left - I'm pretty fucking gutted about that. I think think I've taken a vocalist departure this bad since Martin left Skyclad. She actually wrote most of their recent material. She's probably my second favorite power metal vocalist after Fuki. Sho (Galneryus) was actually her vocal instructor, which I found pretty neat. Considering her talent level, I have no doubt her starting/joining a new band. This is probably my favorite song by them - god I hate PVs that cut out right when the guitar solo starts (and that one is pretty nice too).

Whoever came up with pv samples is one evil bastard. Good song though.

Indeed. I think they sell the full PVs on DVD at gigs or something. I notice Skywings lost their vocalist - a side of me is hoping Marina joins them. If she opts to sing for a pop/rock band, that'd be a waste of talent. Her voice is made for metal - preferably the fast/soaring variety.

Quote:
Quote:
New PV, finally!

I didn't expect all of that acoustic, drum and bass trading off during the verses. It's a really good touch. And of course, the rumbling basslines are always welcome. Man, that solo section is also pretty genius.

I'm very happy with that new Mahatma PV - I played it several times today. Its a strange choice for a PV and an opening track, being really complicated and abusing time signatures like Alhambra does. They seemed to step up the instrumental game a bit with this one (not like the old stuff was even close to being simple). The drumming is pretty insane too. It was also more metal than expected, towards the end verging on power metal. Mind you, stuff like that shouldn't surprise me anymore :lol:

Knights of Round "A Falling Blossom Will Bloom Again"

Pretty nice melodic power metal - I like the guitars on this a lot.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
I'm inclined to agree. I actually completed my Dragon Guardian collection recently (bar one compilation). Their discography is really confusing :lol: Each album is pretty much Arthur Brave collaborating with someone. He's done a few albums with MinstreliX's vocalist. I think my favorite albums are his collaborations with Knights of Round (another great Japanese power metal band - worth checking out if you haven't done so already).

I think I have one Dragon Guardian album lying around somewhere. It's not bad at all, but I can't say I listen to it very often. I mean to give them a proper look at some point in the future, but that discography is pretty intimidating.

Quote:
A lot of the drummers are so uncreative, they might as well use drum machines. One thing I appreciated with MinstreliX (esp. the new album) is the drumming - very creative and fast as fuck too.

I can't say I've been able to get all the drumming in my head yet, but you're definitely not wrong. This just means I need to listen to their stuff more.

Quote:
Sometimes I'm so focused on the vocals or melodies that a lot of structural/rhythmic stuff I miss.

Hell, sometimes I get so focused on the vocals that I completely miss the riffs. :lol:

Quote:
Well, at least you can brag on the internet that you own a rare copy.
Shockingly enough, the item already reached the shopping service I use. That was pretty damn fast. Since they didn't contact me about any bad news, I'm guessing its in ok shape.

Oh, have you heard Tears of Tragedy before? They're another favorite Japanese band of mine. Prison of Abyss is probably their proggiest song and not really a good representation of their sound, but I felt it was a cool one to share first. Here's a live version of an older song.

I noticed a bunch of their stuff that was uploaded to youtube got deleted. Normally I hate piracy and whatnot, but times like this its really convenient to share songs.

I've seen that cover floating around actually. First time listening to any material though, and I was definitely impressed. Seeing an 11-minute track is kind of intimidating at first, but it actually flies by.

Quote:
Its pretty cool to get albums when they come out then watch them become collectors items. I really wish I started with Japanese music back in say... 2008. I could've sidestepped buying a lot of 3rd-rate Euro-metal and got Light Bringer and MinstreliX's debuts when they first came out. Its funny, back around then I was dabbling with stuff like Wizards' Hymn, Area51, etc. Amazed I didn't get into Galneryus then, I was certainly aware of them. Maybe the pricetag for the CDs scared me off.

Yeah me too. I wish I got on this years ago. I was certainly at least aware of Galneryus since my highschool days; I have no idea why it took me so long to get their stuff.

Quote:
Probably label issues or something. Like they couldn't see through this haha Its funny, initially I assumed most Japanese female vocalists sounded like Yui, and 18 months later, I can't think of too many vocalists who sound like her. Oh, that chick in Rose & Rosary does.

That's as j-pop as j-pop gets. I think I've probably heard vocalists that sound similar to Yui, but I wouldn't know any of their names nor would I be familiar with any of the material.

Quote:
Yup, Aoi is a girl. Pretty talented too. Their old keyboardist Yui (always thought that was a girl's name, but I guess not) was pretty good too. His current project Roman So Words is worth checking out. MinstreliX's guitarist has done guest guitar for them, along with Crying Machine's guitarist. Hell, Hibiki did some guest bass on their latest single. They're a lot more theatric/dramatic than MinstreliX and have female vocals. Only Japan could pull this shit off :lol: Speaking of which, Marchen Station is worth checking out too - they're even more bombastic and over the top. MinstreliX's vocalist sings for them (he's in a lot of bands, actually).

I'm pretty sure that Yui can go either way. I've heard Marchen Station before actually. I think I clicked on a random cover or something, but yeah it's very overtop and flowery (in a good way though). Don't have any of their albums though. And yeah, Leo Figaro sings in like everything. That name flows nicely actually, but I was aware of the guy for a good while at least (probably Dragon Guardian).

Quote:
Indeed. I think they sell the full PVs on DVD at gigs or something. I notice Skywings lost their vocalist - a side of me is hoping Marina joins them. If she opts to sing for a pop/rock band, that'd be a waste of talent. Her voice is made for metal - preferably the fast/soaring variety.

That's a shame. I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but I did really like his vocals especially on that “In Bloom” PV. The stand-up keyboard solo was cool, too.

Quote:
I'm very happy with that new Mahatma PV - I played it several times today. Its a strange choice for a PV and an opening track, being really complicated and abusing time signatures like Alhambra does. They seemed to step up the instrumental game a bit with this one (not like the old stuff was even close to being simple). The drumming is pretty insane too. It was also more metal than expected, towards the end verging on power metal. Mind you, stuff like that shouldn't surprise me anymore :lol:

It is indeed a really strange track. The way it's structured is just weird. You've got the really metal bits meshed with some acoustic stuff that sometimes flows together and other times seems really abrupt. I'm realizing that It's a hard song to describe now that I'm trying to.

Albion – Flos Paradiso~君に読む絵本~

A good strong closer. I've been slowly making up my mind about the drum sound on this album (I got the bass drum confused with the bass guitar in the PV. Hah, I felt silly afterwards). I do actually love the natural sound of the drums (especially the hollow-sounding snares), but my only beef is with the bass drum. There's simply not enough bass in its sound, but honestly, I got used to it and got over it. I'd probably prefer if the bass drum was more normal sounding, but I can dig the album just fine without it.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:50 pm 

Mutiilation - Magical Shadows of a Tragic Past

Something about this is so mysterious and woeful. Pure sorrow.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

MasterOfSin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:41 am 

Whyzdom - Blind

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:04 am 

Accept - New World Coming

Nothing else than Blood of the Nations in my stereos for a few days. Some say this song is filler... Well, the chorus caught me instantly.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:39 am 

Orkrist-Desire in the Grace of the Night (Symphonie des Grauens)

Amazing atmostheric black metal/doom with medieval and folk touches, simply magic.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 am 

Svattjern - Towards The Ultimate

Decent mid-paced Black metal. The riffs just don't do enough for me.

Edit: Actually, some songs like 'Breathing Soil' and 'Desolate Predictions' kick serious ass.
Turns out I started with the weaker tracks

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:05 am 

Edguy – Out of Control

Tobias rules on this album

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 am 

Solefald - Pills Against the Ageless Ills

Cool stuff, very avant garde in intent and style, but the riffing is pure metal. They manage to take metal riffing and actually do something cool with it, which is something you don't see often.

raumr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am 

Burzum - Jóln

It gets better with every listen, but it's obviously a far cry from Det som en gang var and the like.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:45 pm 

Amorphis - Moon and Sun

I've been listening to the Tales From the Thousand Lakes album quite often lately, but still can't quite make my mind up whether it's quite good or is, in fact, superb. It definitely has a spark of excellence, but I don't know if that defines it's character.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:38 pm 

Fanttasma - Life is War

Very groovy tune. Digging this album.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
I think I have one Dragon Guardian album lying around somewhere. It's not bad at all, but I can't say I listen to it very often. I mean to give them a proper look at some point in the future, but that discography is pretty intimidating.

And confusing - it almost should be broken up into separate pages. Dragon Guardian feat. Leo Fagaro "Fairytale" is probably my favorite. Behold the glory of 8-bit power metal. :lol:

This is a trailer from the latest Dragon Guardian/Knights of Round album - its actually pretty good and one of my highlights from this year so far. Some of the keyboards give it a real Japanese feel.

And then there's Dragon Eyes, which is a collab between Dragon Guardian and Thousand Eyes. If you recognize the vocalist, its the same guy who did the harsh vox on that Tears of Tragedy song. Small world. lol Actually Tears of Tragedy's guitarist plays in Thousand Eyes (but I don't think he's in Dragon Eyes). Lyric videos for Japanese bands isn't a good idea haha That CD is all over the place stylistically. One minute its melodeath, then its female-fronted power metal, then its kinda Blood Stain Child-esque electro-metal. Pretty good stuff, actually.

Quote:
Quote:

I can't say I've been able to get all the drumming in my head yet, but you're definitely not wrong. This just means I need to listen to their stuff more.

I found it more noticeable on Chronostrings. I should go back to their older stuff and pay attention more.

Quote:
Quote:

Hell, sometimes I get so focused on the vocals that I completely miss the riffs. :lol:

I find if I start paying attention to the riffs (or lack thereof), the band is doing something gravely wrong. Unless the riffs are really good and force me to notice. I think I've always been more drawn to melody and soaring, guitar pyrotechnics. But of course, it has to have some meat on its bones. The thing that's hypocritical with me is, I like Japanese flower metal (and some of that stuff is super light), yet the Euro variety I can't stand. On the surface, most people probably couldn't tell the difference and probably would think I'm on crack. :lol:

Quote:
I've seen that cover floating around actually. First time listening to any material though, and I was definitely impressed. Seeing an 11-minute track is kind of intimidating at first, but it actually flies by.

"Continuation of the Dream" was one of my favorite albums last year. Its only problem is that its brickwalled to hell and back. Their first album has a pretty bad production and uses a drum machine (they were only a 3 piece then). The music is still pretty good though.

Oh, that band Tenrin I mentioned uploaded a PV:

I'm pretty happy with this (I better be, I ordered the CD recently :lol:). Nice guitarwork as usual. Everything is in Japanese.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah me too. I wish I got on this years ago. I was certainly at least aware of Galneryus since my highschool days; I have no idea why it took me so long to get their stuff.

I was initially gonna save Galneryus "for a rainy day" - I didn't realize that I was gonna get absolutely swamped in bands. I probably should've got their stuff first, oh well. Better late than never. I don't think I'm gonna backtrack too much with 00's power metal bands. Aside from Onmyo-Za and Galneryus, I can't think of too many I like. Concerto Moon and Ark Storm are respectable, but I recall the vocals were a bit of a barrier last time I heard them. I may give them another shot though.

VRAIN's "Rendez Blue" is from 2007 and its pretty good, actually. Shooot! is probably my favorite song by them. Pretty fucking fast hehe Their latest album "Vaptism of Mars" was a definite highlight from last year.

Quote:
Quote:

That's as j-pop as j-pop gets. I think I've probably heard vocalists that sound similar to Yui, but I wouldn't know any of their names nor would I be familiar with any of the material.

The smoking gun - Yousei Teikoku covering DenKare. Cute vocals over speed metal FTW lol

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Yui can go either way. I've heard Marchen Station before actually. I think I clicked on a random cover or something, but yeah it's very overtop and flowery (in a good way though). Don't have any of their albums though. And yeah, Leo Figaro sings in like everything. That name flows nicely actually, but I was aware of the guy for a good while at least (probably Dragon Guardian).

Their latest album "World of Maquillage" is sanity-shattering haha Probably the most fucked-up power metal album I've heard. Yet it works gloriously. Whereas over here we get autistic power metal like Pathfinder.

Quote:
Quote:

It is indeed a really strange track. The way it's structured is just weird. You've got the really metal bits meshed with some acoustic stuff that sometimes flows together and other times seems really abrupt. I'm realizing that It's a hard song to describe now that I'm trying to.

Its really weird how they fuse poppy/catchy elements with rather progressive/technical music. In some ways, they're very similar to Light Bringer. Not too long until that CD is ready for shipping. I've already heard a few other songs on that album from previous singles, but at least there will be some surprises on it.

Their older EP "Time Is" is still for sale at HMV Japan for fairly cheap. 4 songs + 1 intro (22 minutes) for 800 yen once you apply the multi-buy discount and subtract tax. Since its an independent release, I probably wouldn't wait too long. Pretty nice EP actually. I just checked last.fm and I played it 35 times now haha

Quote:
Albion – Flos Paradiso~君に読む絵本~

A good strong closer. I've been slowly making up my mind about the drum sound on this album (I got the bass drum confused with the bass guitar in the PV. Hah, I felt silly afterwards). I do actually love the natural sound of the drums (especially the hollow-sounding snares), but my only beef is with the bass drum. There's simply not enough bass in its sound, but honestly, I got used to it and got over it. I'd probably prefer if the bass drum was more normal sounding, but I can dig the album just fine without it.

Pretty nice album. It was my favorite album of the year until MinstreliX dethroned it. The drums are pretty naff for whatever reason. I really, really hope they didn't deliberately make the drums sound bad to make their (sadly) ex-drummer look bad. I don't know how people over there operate, but that would certainly epitomize "cutting off your nose to spite your face". I have no idea what circumstances were behind Rino leaving the band (except it was "musical differences). Surprisingly, she wrote a good chunk of their material. I can't really think of many bands where their drummer writes a lot of their songs (Mahatma, maybe). Then again, I can't think of many all-girl power metal bands either.

I think either Witch & Angel or the ballad 碧瑠璃の空 (track 8) are my favorites.

I'm pretty much used to the drums by now, but I adjusted my EQ to compensate. The only track where the bass drum drove me up the wall was track 3.

Mahatma (JPN) "Time Is"

A beautiful, yet rather technical EP. Only a week to go until "Re:Generation" is released - I can't wait!

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 pm 

Cataclysmic - Slay The Emperor

It's been a while...

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Batakanda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 pm 

Abigor - Verwüstung, Invoke the Dark Age

A pretty solid Abigor release, if not one of their best ones.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:23 pm 

Naglfar - Blades

Diabolical isn't a bad album, at all.

Last.fm

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 am 

Necrowretch - Putrid Death Sorcery

Vocals can get monotonous but the riffing and drumming makes it one of my favourite Death Metal albums from the past couple of years

Xlxlx
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm 

Vader - Xeper, off Litany

The drumming on this thing is ridiculous.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Necrowretch - Putrid Death Sorcery

Vocals can get monotonous but the riffing and drumming makes it one of my favourite Death Metal albums from the past couple of years

Really? I can't listen to that album because of the atrocious drum triggers. They say it's a person who recorded it but they sound so monotonous and shitty it's hard to believe.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm 

NP: Limbonic Art [In Abhorrence Dementia, 1997] - 3. A Venomous Kiss of Profane Grace (01:10/07:06) {192 kbp/s}
A pretty solid album, gotta say

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:11 pm 

Anubis Gate "Horizons"

My CD arrived in the mail today. This sounds very promising so far (mind you, I already heard the first 2 songs previously).

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 pm 

Avantasia – Reach Out For The Light

Yeh this is epic.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Anubis Gate "Horizons"

My CD arrived in the mail today. This sounds very promising so far (mind you, I already heard the first 2 songs previously).

I heard two cuts (Breach Of Faith and Revolution Come Undone) but I'm saving the rest for when my CD arrives. I ordered direct from Nightmare Records, but they haven't even shipped it yet (says "processing" in the order status field), so...yeah. When the S/T came out, Amazon.ca didn't have the album in until like a month after the release date, so it figures that now that I decided not to go with them, they get the album in right on opening day :-P But what I heard sounds very, very good.

Nightingale - Shadowman

Smooth, ethereal prog rock starring Dan Swano. Love this band.

Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:12 pm 

Altered State - Winter Warlock

This band putting out their demo in 1991 instead of 1985 is a tragedy. What could have been...

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 pm 

DarthVenom wrote:
I heard two cuts (Breach Of Faith and Revolution Come Undone) but I'm saving the rest for when my CD arrives. I ordered direct from Nightmare Records, but they haven't even shipped it yet (says "processing" in the order status field), so...yeah. When the S/T came out, Amazon.ca didn't have the album in until like a month after the release date, so it figures that now that I decided not to go with them, they get the album in right on opening day :-P But what I heard sounds very, very good.

Yeah, I got mine (plus the new Slough Feg from Amazon.ca). It was shipped out and received surprisingly fast. The packaging was pretty lazy though (just thrown loosely in a bubble mailer - boo!). Believe it or not, that was the first order I've done outside of Japan in like 6-9 months. :lol:

NP: MinstreliX "Chronostrings"

My current favorite album of the year (we'll see how it holds up against the upcoming Mahatma and Light Bringer though).

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 pm 

Kamaedzitca - Straight Edge Sport

WE ARE GOING TO THE GYM(∞)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:52 pm 

Anubis Gate - Destined to Remember

Solid stuff. Henrik found his own style and the music is soothing and contemplative.

simonitro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 am 

Edguy - Space Police - Defenders of the Crown

Very, very good album. Definitely better than Tinnitus Sanctus and Age of the Joker, and it is a reminder of Rocket Ride (which I think it's a very good and underrated album.) So, if you're fans of Edguy, there's more Power Metal than Hard Rock elements this time. The Falco cover of Rock Me Amadeus is fantastic and it is a highlight. The other songs are awesome which also worth mentioning and some killer GUITAR SOLOS!!!

Recommended for Edguy fans.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 am 

It's about 50/50 power metal and hard rock. It's definitely for fans of their Mandrake and Hellfire Club era - solid album. I liked AOTJ better though.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:08 am 

Windir - Journey to the End

My favorite bike riding song as of late. Such great cheese.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:43 am 

Dark Forest (UK) - Hourglass

Stupidly catchy, flamboyant and reasonably sensibly-produced traditional metal. It's a sunny day, so I suppose I'm obliged to listen to something cheerful.

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:27 pm 

Swans - Public Castration Is A Good Idea

1986 live album from NY brutal post-punk band. About as brutal as they got too, which is saying something. This isn't metal, but only on a technicality, because it would be hard to imagine a more hateful, punishing, aggresively disgusting statement. It almost sounds like the band wanted to torture itself onstage, or exorcise demons that were never going to leave (and so then just pisses them off even more).

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:39 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Cauldron Born -In Fate's Eye a King (demo)

The production of the demo is much better than the production of the Born of the Cauldron album. Was the guy who mixed the album on crack or something?

Too bad the singer of this demo is not only not Danny White, but sounds like a reject from some C-list German speed metal band. He's got a weird foreign accent and sloppy, drunken-sounding intonation.

I don't think he was as good as David or Danny at that time, but on his later projects I was pleasantly surprised by how much better he sounded. I heard it on his MySpace page (which tells you how long ago this was).

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:46 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Cauldron Born - Finder of the Black Stone

What a chorus! Jim Mullis, if you're reading this, get the band to rerecord the song with a less plastic production some day.

It's Howie's band and I don't have that kind of pull. :) But I love that song and David's performance. I think the production is good but not perfect. The album is just a masterpiece and I hope it gets reissued or repressed one day. I need to replace my copy.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:02 pm 

Stallion - Shadow Run

Giving this EP another shot. They had some good promising heavy/speed metal going on for them. I didn't enjoy the lyrics that much though, the other aspects are good in my books.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1438, 1439, 1440, 1441, 1442, 1443, 1444 ... 1513  Next