Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:04 pm 

Vader - Lord of Thorns

As a drummer, listening to Vader tends to be quite a painful, humbling process. My limbs hurt at the very idea of how explosive and energetic the band's drumming is. Fantastic track from what is shaping up to be a classic record.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:08 pm 

Troll - President Besters Alimony

Now this is some good black metal. It's like black metal with the mindset of a death metal band: be as violent and punishing as possible.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

ChineseDownhill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:12 pm 

Xandria - When the Mirror Cracks

As with Nightwish's "Live to Tell the Tale," I don't understand why this is a bonus track, considering it measures up quite well against anything on the main album.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:29 pm 

Rhapsody - Dawn Of Victory

Some epic wake up music for going to pay bills :(

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:21 pm 

Aresz "Skill"

I'm just a few songs into this, but man, this is odd (then again, this is Japan we're talking about here). Not really sure how to describe this other than fairly dark/aggressive heavy metal (with thrash and power tendencies) with low/aggressive female vocals and two bassists (4 and 6 string respectively). Despite being fairly dark and violent sounding, this has a weird "fun" vibe to it too. And is quite heavy at times too. Not a clue who to compare this to.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:20 pm 

Lunar Aurora - Sterna

Hoagascht is a mixed bag, but this song is excellent. Love the synths.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:33 pm 

Kiuas - Black Winged Goddess

Miss these guys..

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:51 pm 

Avantasia - The Tower

I don't understand the appeal of this music. The guitars are left with nothing but textural roles due to keyboards and vocals dominating the arrangements, and all the famous singers are undermined by the heavy digital processing and correction applied to their voices, which makes them sound inhuman and cold. Why have Michael Kiske sing on your record and pay his probably exorbitant fees when you're going to splice six takes together and de-ess them until it doesn't even sound like a person anymore?

And Timo Tolkki is here but he doesn't sing or play a guitar solo, he just...talks. Everyone can talk. Why is he here?

EDIT: There's some really bright treble spike in the production that's giving me a headache. I've grown from merely being annoyed by this music to outright hating it.

EDIT #2: Ahahahaha, David DeFeis sounds like a voice actor in a schlocky shonen anime doing his monologue, I can't take this shit seriously anymore. :lol:

TrooperEd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 pm 

Overkill- Black Daze

Man even on groove stuff Overkill puts all the stupid Pantera knockoffs to shame.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Avantasia - The Tower

I don't understand the appeal of this music. The guitars are left with nothing but textural roles due to keyboards and vocals dominating the arrangements, and all the famous singers are undermined by the heavy digital processing and correction applied to their voices, which makes them sound inhuman and cold. Why have Michael Kiske sing on your record and pay his probably exorbitant fees when you're going to splice six takes together and de-ess them until it doesn't even sound like a person anymore?

And Timo Tolkki is here but he doesn't sing or play a guitar solo, he just...talks. Everyone can talk. Why is he here?

EDIT: There's some really bright treble spike in the production that's giving me a headache. I've grown from merely being annoyed by this music to outright hating it.

EDIT #2: Ahahahaha, David DeFeis sounds like a voice actor in a schlocky shonen anime doing his monologue, I can't take this shit seriously anymore. :lol:

It's pretty cheesy power metal, but I don't see anything really awful about it or anything....

Rush - Natural Science in the car, a classic.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Overkill- Black Daze

Man even on groove stuff Overkill puts all the stupid Pantera knockoffs to shame.

Yup, they groove nicely when they feel like it. "Wheelz" from ReliXIV rules, as does the earlier more mid-paced material like "New Machine"; Overkill can hardly do wrong.

Summoning - Land of the Dead

Woolie_Wool
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's pretty cheesy power metal, but I don't see anything really awful about it or anything....

Rush - Natural Science in the car, a classic.

It's quite thorougly awful, it can't even leverage what it wants to be its strengths. You can't sell your album on having a whole bunch of famous singers if you don't actually present what made the singers famous in the first place because you Pro Tooled their souls out. Michael Kiske didn't become a legend because he could hit high notes, he became a legend because of the warmth and passion in his voice, which he exhibits absolutely none of with Avantasia. The arrangements are overbearing and write checks the songwriting can't cash. It's not just "cheesy power metal", it's bad power metal.

Gamma Ray - Lust For Life

And now to remind myself of what this music is supposed to sound like.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:

A good choice if you take a sword with you, maybe you wont pay any bill in that case. :D

Gojira-The heaviest matter of the universe

This song is just...so heavy, awesome track from the best album of these guys.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:56 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Lord_Brendan wrote:

A good choice if you take a sword with you, maybe you wont pay any bill in that case. :D

:lol: Frilly shirt and tights as well?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 am 

Anguish - Symmetry

Some of the best harmonized vocal melodies I've heard in a while. Gorgeous stuff.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am 

Behemoth - Inflamed With Rage

Thelema.6 isn't bad you assholes. More consistent than Satanica.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:07 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:

Well, the idea was to scare(kill,decapitate) them, but if they laugh it could work as well. :D

Zola Jesus-Hikkimori.

Some alternative pop/electronic music, with very nice female vocals.

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:34 am 

Sonata Arctica – Misplaced

Their best opener, a true masterpeice of a song.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:58 am 

Iron Mask - The Picture of Dorian Gray

Their latest album is painfully mediocre, but this and the title track absolutely kill.
Last.fm all day long!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 pm 

Taraxacum - Spirit of Freedom

Here's a band we could have used another album or five from. So good...melodic, hard hitting heavy/power metal.

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:07 pm 

Dragon Guardian & Knights of Round - 新選組魔戦記

Weeaboo power metal. Pretty good actually. I think the voice acting parts and programmed drums would drive most power metal fans up the wall though.

sheshdd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 pm 

Death Angel - Into the arms of righteous anger

Nice song,i hadn't checked this "new" song before...if only my speakers had a decent sound i'd enjoy it better

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:00 pm 

Manilla Road - Voyager

Continuing my backwards listen through the band's discography.

Last edited by MARSDUDE on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:09 pm 

Edguy – The Headless Game

Tobias is an amazing singer.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:35 pm 

Spoiler: show
Perdition666 wrote:
I find that music usually has to be in the traditional rock format (vocals / guitars / bass/ drums) for me to like it (not always though, of course). Supreme catchiness coupled with great musician ship is something I appreciate. Probably why Light Bringer is my second favorite band at the moment.

That would also be my preferred format (we're posting on a metal forum aren't we?), but I am fairly partial to other instruments like piano or saxophone as well.

Quote:
Essentially, I discovered my favorite band by sheer randomness :lol:

That's also been my experience with most of my favorite bands. Those youtube thumbnails call to me or something. :lol:

Quote:
crossfade in case you didn't check it out. Its pretty much torture for me waiting for this to arrive in the mail.

You're killing me over here man. Thanks to you, I've got like 5-10 more artists I want to check out, but I can't just blow a bunch of money on albums like I really want to.

Quote:
I like that song as well - actually, that's one of the better EPs I own, all of it is great. I'd like to see Galneryus do a tech-death song as an experiment sometime. We all know Syu can do harsh vocals.

New Legend was the first song by Galneryus that I heard (and it's still one of my favorites, I bought One for All – All for One based off of just that one PV; definitely a good buy) and I certainly wasn't expecting those vocals. Would be interesting to hear.

Quote:
That song wasn't bad at all - better than a lot of pm I've heard over the last 5 years. I'm sure the imagery would put off 99% of all power metal fans though. Hell, this stuff is pretty far outside my comfort zone too. I guess this is pretty much a culture-clash and I'm assuming cross-dressing/androgynous appearances isn't a big deal over there. I guess music trumps all and if I like something enough, I'll overcome any imagery bias. Its funny, all-female visual kei bands like exist trace have members who look masculine (but one of their guitarists dresses hyper-feminine to contrast the other guitarist). Danger Gang is another all-girl one, but they're colorful as all hell. You know, the more I get into this stuff, they don't look that unusual anymore :lol: The contrast between their image and music is pretty funny because they're pretty abrasive and raw sounding.

I think it's because the general picture of a handsome male is more on the feminine, slender side as opposed to the usual “manly, man” picture you have over here in the west. So counter-culture (or ex-counter-culture anyway) stuff sort of pushed that further. But yeah, you really get used to it after awhile and it stops being surprising.

Quote:
Cool, glad you liked it. If you haven't checked out MinstreliX yet, I definitely recommend them. They're one of the better power metal bands over there at the moment. It took some time for them to grow on me, but they're definitely worth it. I guess they have some similarities to Galneryus (neoclassical guitarwork and fairly technical), but are more in the Euro fantasy/sympho vein. They have some melodeath influences as well and they aren't afraid to mix things up stylistically.

The Goddess~La Liberte Guidant Le Peuple~ - straightforward power metal fare, but pretty good (it didn't blow me away initially though). Its strange how I didn't notice how good the solo was until like the 10th play or so.

Venus and Adonis - one of my favorite instrumental power metal songs ever, really nice guitarwork and guitar/keyboard interplay on this. Catchy as hell too.

Eternal Death Rave - one of their melodeath-ish ones, one of my faves by them too.

Well, that's another to add to my list. Looks like I'll be into Japanese power metal for at least another year. Looks like they have a new album coming up soon as well. I really like that last track too; it's quite interesting.

Quote:
Power/prog I like a lot because it takes the complexity and great musicianship of progressive metal and tightens up the songwriting & makes it catchy. Probably why Galneryus is one of my favorite bands at the moment - they're probably catchier than most power metal bands, yet they mop the floor with most prog-metal bands. One of the best live bands around too.

100% agreement from me. Power and prog is a really good combination.

NP: Galneryus – Destiny

This is the epic on Resurrection, and it's nothing short of amazing. God, that middle section.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Lord_Brendan wrote:

Well, the idea was to scare(kill,decapitate) them, but if they laugh it could work as well. :D .

I am sure me wearing tights would have the desired effect :lol:

Nokturnal Mortum - Ukraine

Dying to hear the new album

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:18 pm 

Manilla Road - Gates Of Fire

So many wicked tunes on this album. Haven't heard the middle trilogy in a while. I'm keen to know how the length of it makes me feel after all this time.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:23 pm 

Enslaved - Slaget i skogen bortenfor

My favorite tune by them. A masterpiece of black metal.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:25 pm 

Aosoth - III-2

About to pull the trigger on either this album or Arrow In Heart, and I'm having a tough time deciding which one to get, as they're both fucking amazing, dissonant, violent and atmospheric. Choices, choices...

My collection

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Aosoth - III-2

About to pull the trigger on either this album or Arrow In Heart, and I'm having a tough time deciding which one to get, as they're both fucking amazing, dissonant, violent and atmospheric. Choices, choices...

Sounds like it's time for the only logical move-- heads or tails.

Last edited by MARSDUDE on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BasqueStorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm 

Marag wrote:
Lunar Aurora - Sterna
Hoagascht is a mixed bag, but this song is excellent. Love the synths.

(2012) Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht is nice for me.

Paganbasque wrote:

I could only get into (2012) Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage.

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Nokturnal Mortum - Ukraine
Dying to hear the new album

Will they be able to top (2009) Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice Of Steel?

Subrick wrote:
Enslaved - Slaget i skogen bortenfor
My favorite tune by them. A masterpiece of black metal.

Old NICE Enslaved!

Floods from (1996) The Great Southern Trendkill.

:bow:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
Aosoth - III-2

Sounds like it's time for the only logical move-- heads or tails.

Arrow In Heart is it!

Blut Aus Nord - Liber I -II

More savage than the Sect(s) trilogy, but no less atmospheric and twisted. Nice to have this on cd finally too.

My collection

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 pm 

Will they be able to top The Voice Of Steel?

Not sure but if they do it will be Godly. To be honest I love all their stuff except To the Gates Of Blasphemous Fire.

TrooperEd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 pm 

Impaled Nazarene- In The Name of Satan

The Finnish black metal sound is a very fascinating one, especially since these guys claimed to have hated the Norwegian scene

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 pm 

Corpsegrinder - Consumed by the Underworld

Been looking for this demo for ages. Finally found it. Pretty good old school death metal.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 pm 

Ulver - Vowels

Very strange and atmospheric song. One of my favourites

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 pm 

Behexen - Invocation Of Zabulus

Fucking blissfully raw, well crafted and pretty damn brutal black metal perfection.

My collection

niix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:21 pm 

Dead Congregation- ' Morbid Paroxysm'..
finally got around to this track, and i am seriously blown away..
Morbid paroxysm leads to despair
Insanity springs eternal
Lucidity fades to its demise...

Disintegration of the soul
To the existential void

Sanity ordains me not
A servant of paramount chaos
On perpetual orbit in the cosmos

ffuucckk yess!

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:48 am 

:lol: Listening to these guys. Saw them in Melbourne and they put on a great show. 80s rock/metal. Sure they can be seen as a gimmick band but I don't care :lol: One of the best/worst videos in history

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:17 am 

Obtest-Žirgas parneš mano kūną

Great melodies and a awesome clean vocals chorus, truly epic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431 ... 1480  Next