* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 pm 

Today:

Running Wild - Port Royal

I should have gotten into this band a long, long time ago. I guess I sort of did when I listened to the first few songs off of Under Jolly Roger, but my ass was a speed addict and immediately got bored. Now that I've finally given the band a chance, I can say that this album is pure heavy metal awesomeness. Everything about it is just perfect. Fantastic riffs and vocals. As of late, I've been developing a preference for the more traditional styles of metal, but that could be because I'm a little burnt out from harsher styles. I'm thinking of checking out Death Or Glory next, which seems to be the popular choice among most, but should I just move backwards in their discography or forward?

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:54 pm 

DEATH OR GLORY. DO IT MY DUDE.

I think Death or Glory has cemented itself as one of my favorite metal albums of all time, pretty much in the top 10. It was my introduction to the band, and I'm now a fan. It's so flipping fantastic.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 pm 

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness

I think Carcass were the heaviest death metal band of the initial wave of death metal, and this album proves it. Reek sucks though.

Perhaps.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 pm 

Just going to ignore the fanboy... Anybody else? :P

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm 

Keep in mind I'm not a fanboy... I am a recent fan of that band, and you never see me post about them because I'm still digging in. If it were like Riot or Buckethead, then ya I'm guily as charged, but I recommend Death or Glory because it's like their best album for me so far. I've heard all of them up to Masquerade and I think Death or Glory is the best.

Fanboy... pssh, ya fuckin' muffintop :grumble: :tongue:

:-P

Dismember - And So is Life

OH YES

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:07 pm 

A fanboy in denial. Classic muffintopism! :lol:

I guess that one will be my next because the Running Wild expert said so. :P

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:10 pm 

*wildly flails arms around like an upset infant* I'M NOT A FANBOY

:lol:

Anyway, speaking of being a fanboy:

Buckethead - Trading Post

One of my favorite tracks from him, straight out of the golden era of the Pikes.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 pm 

Spoiler: show

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:16 pm 

I am a fanboy, and I'm not even remotely ashamed. To give you an idea of the styles they explored, let me drag up an old S&C post I made a few years ago when somebody suggested a genre change:

Quote:
For me (I'm not sure exactly how the powers that be feel about this) the term "speed metal" refers to a very specific sound, and almost any tweaking of it changes it to heavy metal or power metal, possibly even thrash if it's weird enough, and Running Wild doesn't really fit that sound for a majority of their career. The sound I think of is like Helloween's Walls of Jericho, Blind Guardian's Battalions of Fear, bits of Heathen's first album or for a more obscure example, Vectom's Rules of Mystery. Now with that specific sound in mind, I think it's pretty clear that Running Wild's first two albums (coincidentally, before the piratey shtick was introduced) are pretty much a textbook example of what the quintessential German speed metal sound is. Under Jolly Roger and Port Royal had moments but on the whole were mostly a more traditional heavy metal, Death or Glory and Blazon Stone mostly the same idea but with arguable bits of power metal and hard rock thrown in with the bits of speed metal and predominant trad metal. Pile of Skulls, I can understand calling a speed metal album, thanks to tracks like "Whirlwind" and the title track, but most of the record is still just straight up, awesome heavy metal with bits of the other melodic genres sprinkled in. Black Hand Inn is actually probably the closest to power metal they ever got, and the addition of Jorg Michael certainly helped that transformation, while Masquerade and The Rivalry kept up with the heavy blend of trad/power metal while introducing more prominent hard-rockish numbers on the latter especially. Victory is kind of hard to classify for me as it's probably the most melodic album but it's almost a perfect trifecta of trad metal, hard rock, and power metal. The Brotherhood flip flops between light power metal and hard rock, while Rogues en Vogue flip flops between light trad metal and hard rock. Shadowmaker is basically entirely hard rock with the odd metal moment here and there.

In short, in the scope of their career, heavy/power metal is probably the most accurate as a whole of their work, but the first two albums are undeniably speed metal albums, with Gates to Purgatory being my favorite speed metal album of all time. So I think the genre tag is acceptable as is, but adding speed into it as a "Speed metal (early) / heavy/power metal (later)" would be fine albeit a tad unnecessary. But with that said, the lyrical themes field does differentiate between their earlier satanic and hard rocking themes and their new pirates and history themes, and considering those old themes are pretty much exclusive to the two speed metal albums, you could probably make a case for adding the speed metal tag back. BUT, overall, it's fine and I don't really think it's that big of a deal.

My personal order is a bit different than the overall consensus, but I go:

Blazon Stone
Death or Glory
Masquerade
Gates to Purgatory
Black Hand Inn
Port Royal
Pile of Skulls
Under Jolly Roger
Victory
Rapid Foray
The Brotherhood
The Rivalry
Branded and Exiled
Shadowmaker
Resilient
Big Flabby Hunks of Whale Shit
The Shaggs
Five Finger Death Punch's entire discography
Rogues en Vogue

So basically you can jump around all over the place and find quality, but if Port Royal was your thing, then you absolutely need Death or Glory in your life, and the next two albums are pretty similar and equally great. Black Hand Inn is more power metal than those but for a long time, and when I first discovered the band, that seemed to be the overall favorite.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 pm 

There we go, I've been waiting for the BH RW post. You seriously need to review them all! Your posts on them made me check them out in the first place, but when I went to read your reviews... there was only one. :aww:

Bolt Thrower - As the World Burns

Don't look BAHCHK

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 pm 

Thanks, man. That was an informative post. It seems like the general consensus is that all albums up to The Rivalry are worthwhile. I don't remember which thread I read this this in but a few days ago, someone said that Running Wild seems to be like "their kind of band", and I would also say the same about them myself.

Black Diamond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:34 pm 

Helloween - "You Always Walk Alone"

As much as I love most of what I've heard from Keeper Part I, "You Always Walk Alone" shows Kiske using more of his range, the rest of the band showing greater musical versatility and a more ambitious approach to songwriting. I hope that this will keep up for the rest of Keeper Part II.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 pm 

Now playing: Eluveitie - Slania's Song.

This song is from the second album by the Swiss folk metal band Eluveitie.

Black Diamond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:51 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I don't remember which thread I read this this in but a few days ago, someone said that Running Wild seems to be like "their kind of band", and I would also say the same about them myself.

I wrote that yesterday in this thread about both Running Wild and Fates Warning, which for perhaps multiple years have both seemed like "my kind of bands," but I still have only begun giving them legitimate listens in just the past few days.

I'm glad that you're also giving Running Wild a chance and enjoying the band thus far.

Continuing with Helloween's Keeper - Part II

"Rise and Fall" has some great moments, but it unfortunately is quite annoying in places as well. However, "March of Time" is quite magnificent, and it more or less features the sort of approach I hoped to hear before I began listening to this album.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:00 am 

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

By far the darkest and most sinister Death Metal song ever. A triumph of progressive metal and one of the best Metal epics ever. 40 minutes that feels so short.

Earthridden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:47 am 

Twisted Into Form - Then Comes Affliction To Awaken The Dreamer - Manumit

This really is the closest thing to a sequel of A Sceptic's Universe. Not an everyday album but it scratches a very specific itch. Feels a bit silly now waiting for so long to check it out.
It was far easier losing my memory.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:51 am 

Krisiun - Abyssal Gates

It's been a long time. The album still sounds ferocious and fresh.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:33 am 

MetallicaTrueFan wrote:
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

By far the darkest and most sinister Death Metal song ever. A triumph of progressive metal and one of the best Metal epics ever. 40 minutes that feels so short.

:confused: How would you find that album dark and sinister? it sound quite fluffy to me.

NP: Argentum - Enter an Encysted Hibernation

Transcending, epic and oppressing sounding black/doom metal that sounds like nothing I've heard before. Incredible stuff.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:16 pm 

Sodom - Tired and Red

One of the four horsemen of the thrash break apocalypse.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:41 pm 

Sadus - Illusions

I needed something to help get me going this morning. I was feeling a bit sluggish but listening to thrash gives me a shit ton of energy. Now i'm ready to face the day. Lets go baby! :headbang:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:55 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
There we go, I've been waiting for the BH RW post. You seriously need to review them all! Your posts on them made me check them out in the first place, but when I went to read your reviews... there was only one. :aww:

Way back in 2008 when I first started reviewing, I had quite a few (if memory serves, Gates to Purgatory got a 90, Under Jolly Roger a 79, Death or Glory an 89, Black Hand Inn a 94, and The Brotherhood a 75 (those ratings are all still fairly accurate except I'd switch DoG and BHI and Brotherhood would go down a bit)), but when I reread them a few years later I basically cringed inside out at how bad they were. I keep my old stuff up for posterity and a reminder that anybody can improve, but I got all pretentious and said "Running Wild deserve better!" and deleted them all with the intent of reviewing everything in order. Unfortunately, that's incredibly hard to do considering their career trajectory. Each successive album doesn't sound very different from one another, but if you skip like four albums in between in either direction it sounds like a totally different band. Since they have such an immediately identifiable sound that carries with everything but enough tertiary elements change very slowly over time, it's really hard to write a bunch without just saying the same stuff over and over again, so I gave up on the idea and decided to just review whatever when I had something to say (which is why there are only three now, and none of them are for the five I had previously touched). It's easy to do such a discography spanning review series with a band like Gargoyle because they have so many different elements at play and each album has an identity so wildly distinct from the rest, not so much with RW since their signature sound is so prevalent and unified everywhere, so I just always struggle with it.

Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Cut like three songs from this album and it'd be in serious contention for my favorite power metal album of all time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:26 pm 

Mesarthim - "The Great Filter"

Bit of a nice break away from the band's normal style. Definitely stronger than anything on their 2016 album.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:17 pm 

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

Best goth metal album ever?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:19 pm 

Fireleaf - Behind the Mask

This is a mean, heavy power metal album, and a big part of why I like the genre so much - just nonstop, head-smashing metal mastery.

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:35 pm 

Mutant - Pleiades

Best Prog/Tech Thrash album in years!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 pm 

"Flammende Welt" -
Darkwood

One of the first Neofolk bands I got into years ago. Rather melancholy.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:08 pm 

Running Wild - Treasure Island

Probably my favourite Running Wild epic.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm 

I think Genesis and The Ghost are pretty great too, but yeah Treasure Island is considered the granddaddy of them all for good reason. Although, since I actually finally read Treasure Island last year, the song seems a little sillier to me than it previously did since the lyrics read like a Cliff's Notes version of the book. Every line of each verse could be a one sentence summary of each chapter, so it's kinda funny to me now, but it's still one of their best songs without a doubt.

Grave Digger - Healed by Metal
Not sure how I feel about this yet. Grave Digger has arguably been on autopilot for decades now and each album's quality could be determined entirely on how much energy they put into their performances. On that front, this album is just fine. It's really strong, meat-and-potatoes metal with some really obvious live anthems, but it doesn't seem to have much staying power and it's kinda one-note like everything since Rheingold. Servicable album for sure if nothing else.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 pm 

Jay-Z - Hola Hovito

Magnificent album. Beautifully pompous and well put together. Pure bravado and class.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:47 pm 

Coincidentally, I too was listening to grave Digger today:

Grave Digger - Heart Of Darkness

Grave Digger is a relatively new band for me, and this is only the second album I've listened to by them, the other being Clash Of The Gods. There's a 17 year gap between the two, but if I didn't know that Heart Of Darkness was released in 1995, I would have guessed anywhere from 2004-2008. The only difference between the two is that the former has faster, more power metal songs. Today was the first time I popped in my Heart Of Darkness CD in the car. I still have Excalibur waiting. Grave Digger and Running Wild have impressed the shit out of me recently.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:43 pm 

Deicide - When Satan Rules His World

Quintessential Deicide.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 pm 

Stillborn - Necrospirituals

Hey Pete.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 pm 

Grave Digger - Healed by Metal

Overall about what I expected; a very safe listen. The guitar tone is well suited to the band but just a tad bit too clean.

Furthermore, some sections sound like slightly lamer rehashes of the last album. So it is a bit more inconsistent compared to Return of the Reaper. Still great fun and I like the more classic metal riffing they throw in there and the call/response chorus on Lawbreaker is awesome!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:47 pm 

Ceremonial Castings - Our Journey Through Forever

Great black/death metal, this album is one of my favorites.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 pm 

Dormant Ordeal - We Had It Coming
Random thing I checked out purely because I'm a sucker for extreme metal out of Poland (blame Vader for making me realize the country was a hotspot of excellent death and black metal), and this is about what I expected. Really similar to Lost Soul in terms of punishing, techy death metal.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:05 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
Edguy - King of Fools EP

If you like Edguy from Theater to Hellfire Club, give this one a go. I prefer the Superheroes EP, though.

Holy Water is an awesome Edguy Track.

Currently:

Agent Steel - Illuminati Is Machine

Forgot about this track. It's actually the only one I've heard off this album.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:15 pm 

QuickNick wrote:
Mutant - Pleiades

This got me irrationally excited that the UK Mutant had reformed and put out an album without anyone noticing, but it's a different band. They were easily one of the most hyped bands of 2009 and 100% deserving. The Laserdrome EP is still one of the best thrash releases ever.

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:55 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
QuickNick wrote:
Mutant - Pleiades

This got me irrationally excited that the UK Mutant had reformed and put out an album without anyone noticing, but it's a different band. They were easily one of the most hyped bands of 2009 and 100% deserving. The Laserdrome EP is still one of the best thrash releases ever.

Yeah, "Laserdrome" was a very strong EP and some years ago there were rumours about Mutant coming back, but nothing came.

The spanish Mutant started under "Mutant Squad" and released two great EPs in 2009/2012 and the furious full-length "Titanomakhi" in 2013. They then made straight Thrash with a technical and light prog touch. After renaming to "Mutant", they got much more progressive and groovy, but even better. Their last years album "Pleiades" leaves the recent Vektor behind imho.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:01 am 

QuickNick wrote:
Yeah, "Laserdrome" was a very strong EP and some years ago there were rumours about Mutant coming back, but nothing came.

The spanish Mutant started under "Mutant Squad" and released two great EPs in 2009/2012 and the furious full-length "Titanomakhi" in 2013. They then made straight Thrash with a technical and light prog touch. After renaming to "Mutant", they got much more progressive and groovy, but even better. Their last years album "Pleiades" leaves the recent Vektor behind imho.

Pleaides was indeed a good album for the most part. Pretty creative too. I dunno if it was better or more creative than Terminal Redux, but I'd certainly take it over that new Sepultura.

Wound - Engrained

Only about a minute in, but it sounds promising enough so far.

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:27 am 

Xenophon wrote:
Pleaides was indeed a good album for the most part. Pretty creative too. I dunno if it was better or more creative than Terminal Redux, but I'd certainly take it over that new Sepultura.

"pretty creative" might be even understated. I think that stuff is progressive in the original meaning of that term. I don't find that progressive attitude too much in Vektor though. They are (were?) awesome musicians, don't get me wrong, but I don't find them litarally "progressive", not with the approach that Mutant show. What I also like very much about the spanish guys is, that they play very song-convenient (dunno if that's really a term in english...), Vektor are more a bunch of soloists, as I perceive them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946 ... 2927  Next