Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:37 am 

Gorguts - From Wisdom To Hate

Huh, I'm hearing a lot of Immolation, Suffocation, and doomy Morbid Angel riffs. This album is a bit all over the place, and I can see why it's so polarizing. I will say that the steely snare sound sucks. If this is obscure, then what is Obscura?

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:00 am 

Obscura is far more bombastic and off-the-walls. It's good if you like music with a lot of dissonance.

Helloween - As Long As I Fall

Gambling With the Devil is a nice little gem. Definitely my favorite modern Helloween album.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Mr_Wednesday
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:20 am 

Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus

Black metal with an occult, almost ceremonial feel. Feels like the listener is peeking in on some twisted ritual that no sane person should see. Didn't really click for me until the second listen but now I want to hear more from Nightbringer.
I can shift my shape like a god - Summoning, "Farewell"

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:59 am 

Hanoi Rocks - Back to Mystery City

Good, but not as good as Two Steps.... Well, that album has all their biggest songs. Until I Get You is a very cool song though.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:14 am 

Queensryche - Hear in the Now Frontier

Good god, 90s Queensryche is awful. I'd heard about its awfulness but it really has to be heard to be believed. The kind of music that will be laughed at in 50 years time. Empire was the least bad, but still... what a trainwreck after their promising start in the early 80s.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:16 am 

Queensrÿche is awful. Period.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:33 am 

100 album covers, and a cool song by 1000 MODS
http://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:02 am 

:np: Sodom - Tapping the Vein

Needs more brutality. \m/

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:11 am 

Earth - Old Black

Deadly hot outside, and I feel this song works very well on days like this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:10 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

:nono:

Tom Waits - Shore Leave

Really love the minimal, folky chords of the verses and then the surprising melodic chorus that comes up. Very cool song. This is an extremely atmospheric album, as are all the ones I've heard from him.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:15 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
then what is Obscura?

probably the best thing death metal has to offer

NP: Pharoah Sanders - Thembi

floaty

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:35 am 

Obscura? It is the sonic representation of insanity.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:24 pm 

Malthusian - Below The Hengiform

The production isn't as good as that of the first one which accentuated the brutality, but the music is still killer.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:58 pm 

Sean Malone - Hand Full of Earth
Holy shit, what will convince Malone to do another jazz fusion album, because this is some totally bad-ass music with none of the stiffness you often get when rock and metal musicians attempt this style.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:24 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

Put down the crack pipe bruh. 80's era Queensryche was epic af! Their first 4 releases are some of the best metal ever created. They sucked massive donkey dick in the 90's and for most of the 00's but their last 2 efforts are pretty decent.

NP: Wrathchild America - Climbin' the Walls

It's been collecting dust so i figure i'd throw it on. Just like i remember it, nothing too spectacular but still enjoyable.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:51 pm 

Aghora - Satya

The music is very nice, but the singer does not have anywhere near the chops to hang with these musicians. Her inflection is extremely plain and flat. It reminds me of the live concert Joni Mitchell recorded with Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny, but with a much less talented singer.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:54 pm 

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors

Finally, some prog metal that I like!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
what is Obscura?

Obscura is unbelievably spectacular at sucking. I get what it wants to do, but it sounds awful and is a total chore to listen to. FWtH is the same idea but less out there intentionally unlistenable, so I don't love it but it's not the worst thing out there.

Revocation - Great Is Our Sin
This band has always bored me to death for reasons I could never explain, and surprisingly this album... well, does nothing to change that. I remember giving Empire of the Obscene a chance because the album art looked like Midgar, and I'm a massive dork and anything that makes me think of Final Fantasy will get at least a cursory listen (*waves at Jenovavirus and whichever terrible metalcore band had a song named AVALANCHE*) but after a few spins I had to throw in the towel. I've sampled a few tracks whenever a new album would come out but they all just went in one ear and out the other. I think Revocation has the same problem Battlecross has, where their brand of tech thrash/death provides a huge burst of energy on stage and they're always a great time live, but in the studio none of it ever seems to transfer over. I tend to prefer Battlecross simply because they're less techy and therefore have more riffs that have any chance of catching my ear, whereas Revocation spends so much time dazzling listeners with how complex and complicated every section of music is that it ends up being a blur of unrelated notes. It seems like they've focused more on the death metal portion of their sound as time has gone on for the most part (I guess the previous album took that idea to it's logical extreme?) but it's still not really doing much for me. Individually, every element at play and every trick they employ are all things that I like, and I like the attempt to inject some more proggy stuff just for the sake of dynamics and variety, but it feels sorta like there are too many cooks in the kitchen. There are a lot of things happening and by all means they're all impressive, but they're implemented in such a cruddy way that none of it matters. The whole album feels like a first draft, like they recorded a bunch of jam sessions and recorded all of their favorite moments without crafting any real songs around those portions.

Major props to them for covering one of the best Slayer songs ever at the end though.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:15 pm 

Voivod - The Unknown Knows

The more music I listen to, the more I value stuff that truly takes a unique path. This fucking nails that criteria.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm 

Metalcore band with a song called 'Avalanche'? I guess you mean The Ghost Inside.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:28 pm 

@M_O_T I agree, Queensryche is awful. Period. I decided to borrow my parents old Operation Mindcrime CD just to see if it was any good, and I now know why they used to make fun of that band. :lol:

Buckethead - Sunken Parlor

HOLY SHIT

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:29 pm 

Took a bit of searching, but no, it was Still Remains.

You could absolutely make a song about AVALANCHE, they're a ragtag group of eco-terrorists who take on the globe spanning corporation that's using the planet's lifeforce as a source of energy and in doing so unwittingly unleash like twelve different forms of the apocalypse. But no, we get this shit instead.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:32 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
@M_O_T I agree, Queensryche is awful. Period. I decided to borrow my parents old Operation Mindcrime CD just to see if it was any good, and I now know why they used to make fun of that band. :lol:

Why would that be then? I think O:M is up there with the best metal records ever. Everything about that album is pretty much flawless, from songwriting to performances. The Queensryche self-titled EP and The Warning are also almost as good if not equally as good.

Voivod - X Ray Mirror

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:42 pm 

Anomaly - Iconoclast

OK guys, I can dig your music, but please, please, please dispense with the spoken word bits, especially the ones about Jesus. They're killing me. Stop. Stop. Stop!

I've been listening to various things Sean Malone has played on and they seem almost all united by bad vocals over good music--the Cynic robot vocals and shitty alt-rock falsettos, the flat "your mom singing at somebody's wedding" lady from Aghora, and here he and Sean Reinert finally found a great singer who calls to mind James LaBrie in his prime--so they have to add the spoken word bits to meet their bad-things-done-with-voices quota.

E: The regressions into generic rock music don't help Anomaly either. There is way too much pedestrian hard rock in the world.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:16 pm 

The Stone - Sunovrat (from Nekroza album)

This is some seriously heavy (yup, heavy) black metal with some outstanding guitarwork and dynamic, involved songwriting. Loving the production. Crystal clear and crisp, but not overly processed.

Definitely an underlooked gem of 2014.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:26 pm 

"Where Ironcrosses Grow" -
Dismember

This album title comes from some old wwii movie I saw a few weeks back which I can't remember the name of. Otherwise I'll be revisiting their discography, I haven't listened to Dismember nearly as much as I should have.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:36 pm 

Buckethead and Travis Dickerson - Dragons of Eden

Pretty much my favorite collaboration between Big B and Travis D. Their stuff together is usually awesome, but this one kills it. Draco in particular remains one of my favorite Buckethead related tracks. That opening is just awesome. I wonder what more they could've done with Brain on drums.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:43 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
stainedclass2112 wrote:

Why would that be then? I think O:M is up there with the best metal records ever. Everything about that album is pretty much flawless, from songwriting to performances. The Queensryche self-titled EP and The Warning are also almost as good if not equally as good.

This is literally everyone that defends Queensrÿche; "but... Operation: Mindcrime...". I won't deny that it has some killer songs, but in the end, the album is full of fluff and just sounds overblown in terms of the concept and so-called epicness. Other than this album, I hate everything this band has done, even their new album.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:49 pm 

Raven Dark - Berustet av kriegsdronnet

Man what's a stinky band like Drudkh doing at the top of Burzum's similar artists' tab while this has no votes? I cannot remain passive in situations like these *clicks upvote button*

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:50 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
This is literally everyone that defends Queensrÿche; "but... Operation: Mindcrime...". I won't deny that it has some killer songs, but in the end, the album is full of fluff and just sounds overblown in terms of the concept and so-called epicness. Other than this album, I hate everything this band has done, even their new album.

The correct defense of Queensryche is "but The Warning".

Cynic - Sentiment

OK their first album hooks me even with the weird robot vocals. They seem way less intrusive than on Traced in Air, perhaps because they're not using standard rock progressions.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:58 pm 

^That's some cool stuff right there. Very, very cool album.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:03 pm 

Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odinii

Hmm... nice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:30 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

1. Don't lump me in with "literally everyone" in some kind of perjorative way. He was talking about O:M so I replied talking about that album. Not sure what your point is.

2. It's perfectly valid to like only one or a few of a band's albums and still say you like them.

And I disagree that it's full of fluff. Every song completely kills.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
1. Don't lump me in with "literally everyone" in some kind of perjorative way. He was talking about O:M so I replied talking about that album. Not sure what your point is.

It just seems like the consensus among the fans is that Operation: Mindcrime is their most popular and best album. I don't know what makes you think I labeled you personally in a negative way. I was just addressing this to a broad group of people.

Secondly, I only like "Speak", "The Mission", "Eyes Of A Stranger", and "Spreading The Disease". Liking four songs is not enough for me to say I like a band when the rest of their discography is mediocre to worse than turds.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm 

I haven't heard a lot of their 90s albums, but I like their first two releases and O:M a lot, and even Rage for Order and Empire have a lot of good stuff in them. I also used to think the same way as you about O:M but now that I've listened to so much more music and changed what I value about songwriting, I like every single song on that album. Not a weak spot. It's about as perfect, composition-wise, as a metal album can get.

The White Stripes - Ball & Biscuit

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:35 pm 

Dark Tranquillity - FreeCard

One of the last DT albums I truly loved. This one and Damage Done is kinda where I fell off.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Other than this album, I hate everything this band has done, even their new album.

What is wrong with THE WARNING, in your opinion?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 pm 

I'm just not a fan of this USPM/heavy metal style with Geoff Tate's disgusting voice. "Warning" and "No Sanctuary" are okay, but I cannot stand this band whatsoever.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:00 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I'm just not a fan of this USPM/heavy metal style with Geoff Tate's disgusting voice.

I'm afraid you are acutely psychotic and we're going to have to start you on Haldol for your own good.

Larry Coryell & Eleventh House - Yin
This is a seriously blistering jam--it's fusion performed with the speed and ferocity of Helstar, and it never relents even for a microsecond until the song is over.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:15 pm 

"What Should Not Be Unearthed" -
Nile

I can't remember if this came out while I was locked up or not, but I missed it like a lot of albums in 2015. It's good.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1752, 1753, 1754, 1755, 1756, 1757, 1758 ... 2931  Next