Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:40 pm 

Merzbow / Keiji Haino / Balázs Pándi - How Differ The Instructions Of The Left From The Instructions Of The Right?

Love the noise; love the cover-art; love Keiji's conviction, even though he's mixing up his R's and L's in a typical Japanese fashion.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:53 pm 

Cinderella - Night Songs

This album fucking rocks! :headbang:

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:14 pm 

Desaster- "End of Tyranny"

Just straight up, balls out, fuckin' A kickasss black thrash! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:16 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
Cinderella - Night Songs

This album fucking rocks! :headbang:

Someone else likes Cinderella?!?!?

Twilight Force - Enchanted Dragon of Wisdom

I grabbed a sword and ran through fire.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Desaster- "End of Tyranny"

Just straight up, balls out, fuckin' A kickasss black thrash! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Excellent song, and an incredible album. :headbang:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:13 pm 

Suffocation - Infecting the Crypts (Human Waste version)

I forgot how relentless this is. Mary Mother of Christ. The tremolos are just inhuman, like a huge fucking fire roaring at you.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 pm 

Atlantean Kodex - The Hidden Folk

Just masterful. The call and return vocals send shivers up my spine. The version with Phil Swanson is also damn good too. I couldn't tell if he was doing the backing vocals on the Pnakotic Demos version but I had a hunch, and according to the site he was! These guys need to tour the states ASAP, I think they could actually get some great turnout with the right lineup and stops.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:08 pm 

Soundgarden - Louder than Love

Oh boy do I love some fucking Soundgarden
Superunknown is still their best though

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:11 pm 

Sortilegia - Arcane Death Ritual

Man I can't believe I fucked up not hearing this til now, especially given how much I was into their demo the year this came out. This is some seriously dope black metal.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:23 pm 

^That album is terrific. I totally thought it would be some stock orthodox black metal given the cover, title, and label, and I didn't give it a spin until months later.

Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance

Prepping for new Darkthrone! I really like a handful of tracks from this album but others are really bland.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:29 pm 

Yeah I think I put it off for a while because I was worried about how the production would sound. The demo is raw as hell and gives it this nice atmosphere. I thought it'd sound like crap if it was polished more but this is basically identical to the demo.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:48 pm 

Running Wild - Death or Glory

Oh man I love this album so much, aaggghhh :headbang: This has been on my wantlist for years but I haven't been able to fucking find a copy!! :cry:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:49 pm 

You hipsters and your Sortilegia! I'll have you know, I was into that band way back in 2015! :old:

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:58 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Atlantean Kodex - The Hidden Folk

Just masterful. The call and return vocals send shivers up my spine. The version with Phil Swanson is also damn good too. I couldn't tell if he was doing the backing vocals on the Pnakotic Demos version but I had a hunch, and according to the site he was! These guys need to tour the states ASAP, I think they could actually get some great turnout with the right lineup and stops.

Man I think they'd do quite well for themselves if the toured North America. I would pay a lot of money to see them if they played over here.

Atlantean Kodex - The Golden Bough

This was my first introduction to the band, and it definitely left an impression. They're one of the best bands to surface in recent years.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:13 pm 

Magma - Ima Suri Dondai

Amazing track from an amazing record. Certainly one of the greatest syntheses of classical music with other traditions ever created.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:16 pm 

Dark Funeral - Where Shadows Forever Reign

Hey yeah this is pretty cool.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Running Wild - Death or Glory

Oh man I love this album so much, aaggghhh :headbang: This has been on my wantlist for years but I haven't been able to fucking find a copy!! :cry:

Isn't their back catalogue getting reissued? The last remaster of Pile of Skulls was way too staticky for my tastes. So maybe that will get fixed.

NP: Saber Tiger "Bystander Effect"

Some songs on this fucking smoke. I should get more of their stuff one of these days.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:31 pm 

theposega wrote:

Not so boring norsecore after all, eh? I really dig that album.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:36 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Magma - Ima Suri Dondai

Amazing track from an amazing record. Certainly one of the greatest syntheses of classical music with other traditions ever created.

Nice to see another appreciator of zeuhl around these parts!
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:37 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
theposega wrote:

Not so boring norsecore after all, eh? I really dig that album.

Yeah, this is pretty cool. I'm not even sure this counts as "norsecore" since it seems to have some variety. :lol: I also really appreciate the lack of a song about sex. Really could have done without knowing about Lord Ahriman's latex fetish. and really could have done without reading lines about "drowning in demon seed." Just no.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:45 pm 

And that, my friend, is why I rarely pay attention to lyrics. In this case, being ignorant towards "latex fetish" is blissful! :lol:

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:51 pm 

:lol: I mean, the song is literally called "My Latex Queen!" "Atrum Regina," where the "drown in demon seed" line comes from, is at least subtle. But then again subtlety isn't exactly what people like about Dark Funeral. :lol:

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:18 am 

Deathhammer - Evil Power

Killer Norwegian thrash.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:24 am 

theposega wrote:
:lol: I mean, the song is literally called "My Latex Queen!" "Atrum Regina," where the "drown in demon seed" line comes from, is at least subtle. But then again subtlety isn't exactly what people like about Dark Funeral. :lol:

Oh fuck, I've listened to that album multiple times, but I never really noticed that one of the songs was called "My Latex Queen". :lol: I guess next time I put on a condom, I'll remember this song. :lol:

Demilich - Nespithe

How is "Demilich" pronounced? This thing sounds evil as fuck, and the vocalist sounds demonic, just like the demon on the cover. Crazy weird technical death metal.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:46 am 

I was always under the impression that it was "demi-lich" like a demigod (ironically another Finnish band).

NP:
Defeated Sanity - Psalms of the Moribund

This is the sort of brutal death metal that appeals to those who don't care all too much for the genre.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:49 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
theposega wrote:

Oh fuck, I've listened to that album multiple times, but I never really noticed that one of the songs was called "My Latex Queen". :lol: I guess next time I put on a condom, I'll remember this song. :lol:

Demilich - Nespithe

How is "Demilich" pronounced? This thing sounds evil as fuck, and the vocalist sounds demonic, just like the demon on the cover. Crazy weird technical death metal.

"Lich" rhymes with "witch", and a demilich is one of the most powerful and dangerous creatures in Dungeons and Dragons, an undead sorcerer who had gone beyond mere lichdom to transcend even the need for a physical body.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:00 am 

Testament - Legacy

One of the several thrash bands I haven't dug into. I picked this up today and it slays.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:06 am 

That's what I thought it was, though I didn't rule out the possibility that it would sound like "demilick". Very good stuff though. Unlike anything I've heard before.

Hypocrisy - Penetralia

Completely different from what the band sounds like now. Much more brutal than the more popular Swedeath albums (Left Hand Path and Like An Everflowing Stream). I'm all over the place with my listening today.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:49 am 

Fear Factory - Self Immolation (Liquid Sky mix)

Surprisingly, the first Fear Factory I ever owned was the "Fear is the Mindkiller" EP. I didn't mind the industrial remixes but the album version was the one I repeatedly listened to in that album. This is probably my second most listened to track.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:54 am 

Xenophon wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
I like old In Flames but not Iron Maiden. :scratch:

That's honestly understandable. Technically, the two bands are similar in that they features dueling guitar leads, but the way they use these leads is very different. In Flames tends to use much slower and sadder-sounding melodies.

Yeah, I just HATE Power Metal.

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Cosmic. Still kind of amazed what this band can do with their instruments. La Masquerade Infernale still remains a favorite though.

They're are REALLY good. :beer:

Litany III: Wisdom from (2015) Batushka - Litourgiya.
It's Ok but I can't fully understand the hype.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 am 

A Day to Remember - For Those Who Have Heart

Well lads, it's a drunken bike ride home from the bars. This album lacks a bit of the immediate memorability and classic-ness of Homesick, but goddamn does it still perfectly hit that "heavy vs pop" mixture I love so much! truly more than the sum of its parts.. Been texting random lyrics from this album to my friends at 1AM.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:10 am 

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

22 Acacia Avenue, now there's a good track.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:05 am 

Helstar - Off With His Head

First time spinning this new album and so far I can see myself enjoying it in the long run. There are still plenty of modern Helstar moments but also plenty that definitely make me think of Nosferatu. :)

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:41 am 

90’s indus metal was something else…

Here’s a compilation with 5 bands influenced by Godflesh

http://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:43 am 

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Preparing for the new album. I guess I'm going to buy it no matter how the clips sound (stupid consumerism or loyal long-time fan behaviour?). New Metallica is always a happening around here.

GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 am 

Vorum - Grim Death Awaits.

I love the sound they got on this EP. Everything sounds crisp and pummeling, especially the drums. The songwriting is very good too, catchy hooks and well made riffs that don't overstay their welcome. The title track, Carved In Dead Flesh and Cthonic are some of the highlights (for me anyways).

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:03 am 

Whore (Swe.) - demo

Great Swedish death/thrash hidden gem with some weirder (in a good way) ideas as well.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:18 am 

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

One of the best songs ever recorded and the greatest guitar solos of all time, bar none.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 am 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Metallica - Death Magnetic

Preparing for the new album. I guess I'm going to buy it no matter how the clips sound (stupid consumerism or loyal long-time fan behaviour?). New Metallica is always a happening around here.

I think that album has some really fun chorus sections here and there, but damn, it's way too long and they don't know how to write songs anymore. Tried to listen to it the other day and couldn't make it past track 3, which is a shame because I still don't think it's awful or anything. Just too arduous to get through.

Iron Maiden - Empire Of The Clouds

I know this is even longer than Death Magnetic, but fuck it, it's better. "Empire" was my pick for song of the year last year. Such a tremendous, grandiose song.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:48 am 

As a long time fan of both Metallica and Iron Maiden, that post is steeped in too much irony for me to handle. As bad as Metallica has gotten with needlessly lengthy songs and merely trying to recreate past sounds with little inspiration while slowing their output to a crawl, everybody who isn't a dad, South American, or Emp can see just how much further off that deep end Maiden has fallen (though they turn albums out a bit quicker, but it doesn't mean much when they're all bloated messes of repetitive lameness).

Not actually playing now but I saw them last night, Chon - Whatever crap they played
Look, I can't stand this kind of thing. I come to this show for fucking SikTh, one of the most whacked out and intense bands I had ever heard in high school (who somehow still loads their songs down with more hooks than a tackle box), Toothgrinder was the first opener and they weren't great or anything, but they were heavy and pummeling and the vocalist looked like if Edge had skipped leg day so that was cool, but between these two bands fucking Chon comes on. This shit was laaaaaaame. Endless noodling. ENDLESS. NOODLING. People give that criticism to BTBAM and whatnot but there was no intensity at all here, just weak ass jazzy fusiony chilled out spacey surf shack nonsense from dudes with tie dye guitars that wouldn't stop tapping for five fucking seconds, a drummer that just flailed around endlessly, and a bassist that looked like Scott Stapp. I came here to rock, not get drilled by go nowhere, hookless, grooveless, Sumerian-bore board-shorts-and-flip-flops-and-mop-tops-because-I-only-started-growing-my-hair-out-five-months-ago prog diddly nonsense. Fuck Chon.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786, 1787, 1788, 1789 ... 2925  Next