Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 am 

Incubus - The Deceived Ones
This song/the whole album never deceived me. :D Fucking A, man.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 am 

Wintercult-The somber end.

Some good depressive black metal from Russia.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 am 

Nux Vomica - 'Asleep in the Ashes' (2009)

Some really cool epic/melodic "crust metal" that works through a range of emotions, from glimmers of hope to crushing despair. Average song length is 10 minutes but doesn't feel like it because the melodies are hypnotic and never really get boring. Very much recommended for fans of Samothrace and even Neurosis, though they're certainly not as harsh as the latter ('The Eye of Every Storm' aside).

Pendulous - 'Mirrored Confessions' (2013)

Pretty straight-up doom metal, though slower and more sorrowful than your average Cathedral/Sleep clone. The feel is not unlike My Dying Bride in places even if the actual musical approach isn't terribly similar - no violins or melodramatic warbling, though the alternating clean/harsh vocals are quite emotional - and they also tend to remind me of fellow SoCal natives Mindrot. This 4-song EP was one of my more pleasant surprises of last year.

Frost - 'Poison of Your Thoughts' (1997)

Completely obscure blackened DM band from Poland. The material isn't particularly distinctive, but still rather good - certainly worth downloading quasi-legally if you can't get it any other way (which is very likely).

Messiah - 'Choir of Horrors' (1991)

I keep meaning to buy their earlier (by several years) 'Hymn to Abramelin,' but other purchasing priorities always get in the way. This album, on the other hand, is basically impossible to find at a halfway reasonable price, so mp3's will have to do. Messiah were quite possibly one of the first European death metal bands, though they were always thrashy enough not to be considered pure DM. All their material I've heard is quite good at the least, and this record is no exception.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 am 

Ares Kingdom - Silent Mortal Flesh

I really enjoy this. Solid as fuck death/thrash with some epic overtones. Real 'underground' feel - it's nice to have something so clearly devoted to pure, undiluted metal.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:28 am 

Hybrid Nightmares - Thrown To The Wolves

Quality melodic black/death metal. Saw them live last weekend and they were amazing
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 am 

Lana del Rey-Blue Jeans.

Its incredible how hypnotic this lady can sound, just unique.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 am 

Sonata Arctica – White Pearl, Black Oceans

Timeless epic, works perfect live too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfBS3IjD_s

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 pm 

Gargoyle - やがてひかる

I hate that I'm listening to Gaia before Natural (the latter hasn't even shipped yet). I prefer to listen to bands (esp. ones with huge discorgraphies like Gargoyle) in chronological order, but there's no way in hell I'm going to leave one of their albums lying around unlistened. Now this particular song is light as hell instead of the usual onslaught of thrash (sounds kind of like something out of a western movie actually). Interestingly enough, I've actually heard Kiba sing relatively normal for the first time which was surprising as hell. For anyone who's not familiar with Gargoyle, Kiba's usual vocal delivery basically sounds like some crazy Japanese dude yelling unintelligble things in your face (it's great though). His clean voice is very good too.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:46 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
One thing that's kinda frustrating is figuring out which CD is which. Of course, all my Dragon Guardian CDs are tagged as "Dragon Guardian", not the technical bandname. I need better organizational/labelling skills. Doujin taxidermy is a royal pain in the ass.

Yeah, I try to keep my music tagged nice and consistently, but some stuff is just a pain. Nothing is worse than tagging Classical music. That is the bane of my existence right there.

I think tagging classical scared me off the genre haha I'm fairly OCD about things. I probably should finish sorting my FLAC rips. As silly as it sounds, I have Japanese music and western music completely separated.

Quote:
Quote:
You know, I'm actually surprised that Chronostrings wasn't more melodeath-ish. There's only two songs like that. I guess they surprised me - not a bad thing actually. Bands tend to suck when they get too predictable.

God, waiting for this album is killing me. Part of my order is still on backorder. Hopefully, it'll ship this week, but we'll see.

Hopefully that one will reach you soon - it'll be worth the wait.

Man, the last few weeks have SUCKED for bands I like - its like band members are dropping like flies. Albion's guitarist just announced her departure, Mahatma's keyboardist just left, Tenrin's guitarist departed (became a dad), and Crying Machine's drummer left. Windzor (another female-fronted band over there I like) lost their keyboardist and bassist too. Ganglion's bassist left due to health reasons - fucking sucks, because she was one of my favorite bassists over there.

Not metal and only the first half is the actual PV (2nd half is just the song repeated with different visuals). I love the bass-tone on this.

Quote:
“Gambling” on an album you know nothing about is always good fun when it works out. When it doesn't, well damn. It usually works out for me though.

Nearly everything I bought I like to one degree or another, but I've had a few mistakes. Blasdead I didn't care for much, and Eleanor didn't do much for me. I managed to sell both on ebay quickly. Its very rare when I find a Japanese band with a female vocalist I don't care for. I guess Area51 and Inspire did nothing for me.

Quote:
Oh god, I'd absolutely love to have Memoirs. I really hope they repress it or something. Hell even rerecording it with Leo Figaro on vocals would be fine by me.

I wouldn't mind hearing that as well. They did re-record one song from it ("Awaken"). And "Coming of Age" was a re-recording of a compilation track. I wouldn't mind hearing the original, but it'd be too much of a pain to track down.

Quote:
I did like the version “Light Casts a Shadow” on Reflections more than on Through The Gates of Death, but that had more to do with the mix than the vocals. Although I'd give Lola the edge on the parts where the growls and cleans sing together. It sounds better to me when she did it than Figaro.

I prefer the original as well - mainly due to the music. There's some really epic part (around the 4 min mark I think) that's absent from the re-recording.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm still baffled that Campanula is getting pretty low reviews at Amazon.jp. Unless there's some staunch Rino-loyalists or something. I guess they did change sound/direction a bit...

I saw that too. If google translate is somewhat accurate, I guess people are just not over the drum sound.

I think there were some complaints about Yuri's vocals too. She sounded great to me. I guess they wanted her to keep singing in that super high pitch like she did on the single.

Man, that band is in trouble. I hope they can find replacement members soon. Oh well, if Destrose can endure multiple lineup implosions, I'm sure Albion can too. Mary's Blood had their line-up implode too, but rebuilt itself stronger than ever too. Actually 3/4ths of their current lineup used to be in Destrose. They actually have their major label debut coming soon - totally looking forward to that. This is a short PV clip - I hope they release the entire thing soon. I already have that song on their "Azure" MCD though. Hopefully the remix isn't as brickwalled as that version. And in case you liked that one, here's an older full song.

Quote:
I kinda wish their bassist would find a new band. She's in a girl-band called Noah's Ark (they describe themselves as "dramatic heavy metal", but they haven't recorded anything yet. She is also a co-host on a podcast that I listen to. That's actually a good resource for finding new bands if you can handle the bad sound and don't mind not understanding a word.

I'm not really sure if I'm anywhere near the point to start listening to foreign podcasts just to find some bands, but I'll let you know in a few months. :lol:[/quote]
I listen and pray I pick up some of the language via osmosis :lol: Yeah right, if that was the case then every weaboo would be perfectly fluent in Japanese.

Quote:
Quote:
Yuri, Tengusakura's bassist and drummer, Saki (Mary's Blood) and Hanako (Albion) also performed in an Onmyo-Za tribute band. The soloing was a bit off, but I think the vocals and bass were pretty good (plus these things are done for fun and I don't know how much time they had to actually rehearse).

Hehe, the vocalist even looks a bit like Kuroneko. I guess it's kind of sloppy, but it's a live setting, so who really cares that much?

Indeed. Those tribute things are mostly for fun and whatnot. Good opportunity for bands to get practice in a live setting too. Its strange how close she was to the audience though - they get totally close up and personal there.

Quote:
Galneryus – 終わりなき、この詩

It was surprising seeing a Japanese title on one of their songs since they never do that. Going through all the Yama-B albums (again). Godly stuff.

Fuck yes! I'd like to see them do more Japanese-titled songs. The reworking of that song on the Kizuna EP was pretty nice too (it doesn't have the thrash parts though).

Anubis Gate "The Detached"

I'm gonna play all their albums today. Great band, great album.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Gargoyle - やがてひかる

I hate that I'm listening to Gaia before Natural (the latter hasn't even shipped yet). I prefer to listen to bands (esp. ones with huge discorgraphies like Gargoyle) in chronological order, but there's no way in hell I'm going to leave one of their albums lying around unlistened. Now this particular song is light as hell instead of the usual onslaught of thrash (sounds kind of like something out of a western movie actually). Interestingly enough, I've actually heard Kiba sing relatively normal for the first time which was surprising as hell. For anyone who's not familiar with Gargoyle, Kiba's usual vocal delivery basically sounds like some crazy Japanese dude yelling unintelligble things in your face (it's great though). His clean voice is very good too.

I actually have known of them, but have never given them a shot. Where would you recommend me starting?

Aquilus - Nihil

Great classical and folk influenced atmospheric black metal
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:55 pm 

Bosse - I, from Echoes of the Forgotten

Time to drift off and let my mind wander

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm 

annihilator - the edge

I...love this song. So harmless and catchy, I just want to give it a hug!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
I think tagging classical scared me off the genre haha I'm fairly OCD about things. I probably should finish sorting my FLAC rips. As silly as it sounds, I have Japanese music and western music completely separated.

There's no real standard for tagging Classical music, so you have to come up with your own hacked-together thing and it's terrible. I have a couple of classical collections (Stravinsky and William Walton) that I don't really listen to that often (especially not these days), but tagging these was hellish endeavor.

Can't say I see any purpose in separate Japanese and Western music myself (it all goes in the obligatory “Music” folder), but whatever floats your boat.

Quote:

Mahatma's “Time Is” and Gargoyle's “Natural” are still on backorder, ugh. At least HMV ships really, really fast. Hopefully, I'll get it next week.

Quote:
Man, the last few weeks have SUCKED for bands I like - its like band members are dropping like flies. Albion's guitarist just announced her departure, Mahatma's keyboardist just left, Tenrin's guitarist departed (became a dad), and Crying Machine's drummer left. Windzor (another female-fronted band over there I like) lost their keyboardist and bassist too. Ganglion's bassist left due to health reasons - fucking sucks, because she was one of my favorite bassists over there.

Oh Jesus, that is really horrible. Hopefully stuff will work out, but it sucks seeing band members leaving like that (unless it's a band I really don't like :lol:).

Quote:

Not metal and only the first half is the actual PV (2nd half is just the song repeated with different visuals). I love the bass-tone on this.

Now that's how you play bass. That's some pretty sweet bass tone right there. There's a really good groovy feel to the song too.

Quote:
Nearly everything I bought I like to one degree or another, but I've had a few mistakes. Blasdead I didn't care for much, and Eleanor didn't do much for me. I managed to sell both on ebay quickly. Its very rare when I find a Japanese band with a female vocalist I don't care for. I guess Area51 and Inspire did nothing for me.

Same for me. I've struck out on a couple of Taru's (k-pop artist) latter albums though which was actually really disappointing. Her work while “The Melody” was together and her debut, self-titled solo album were both really damn good.

Quote:
I think there were some complaints about Yuri's vocals too. She sounded great to me. I guess they wanted her to keep singing in that super high pitch like she did on the single.

I was pretty damn impressed with her vocals. The song on the PV didn't leave much of an impression on me in terms of vocals, but the other tracks on the album did. My favorite part has got to be whatever song it was with the really brief section where Yuri does some awesome high-pitched wailing. Wouldn't have mind if they repeated that once, but whatever.

Quote:
Man, that band is in trouble. I hope they can find replacement members soon. Oh well, if Destrose can endure multiple lineup implosions, I'm sure Albion can too. Mary's Blood had their line-up implode too, but rebuilt itself stronger than ever too. Actually 3/4ths of their current lineup used to be in Destrose. They actually have their major label debut coming soon - totally looking forward to that. This is a short PV clip - I hope they release the entire thing soon. I already have that song on their "Azure" MCD though. Hopefully the remix isn't as brickwalled as that version. And in case you liked that one, here's an older full song.

I agree that the production job on the PV clip isn't so great. The music was great though and so was the older song.

Quote:
I listen and pray I pick up some of the language via osmosis :lol: Yeah right, if that was the case then every weaboo would be perfectly fluent in Japanese.

All I can do is recognize the obvious phrases, but not much beyond that. Osmosis doesn't seem to work real well.

Quote:
Indeed. Those tribute things are mostly for fun and whatnot. Good opportunity for bands to get practice in a live setting too. Its strange how close she was to the audience though - they get totally close up and personal there.

Yeah, she was well within intimate range of the audience members :lol:.

Quote:
Fuck yes! I'd like to see them do more Japanese-titled songs. The reworking of that song on the Kizuna EP was pretty nice too (it doesn't have the thrash parts though).

Huh, the thrash parts were my favorite parts of the song too. Well, I plan to get some of Galneryus's Eps one of these days, but I should probably just listen to their albums more. Some of them, I haven't really played that much. Been consuming music a lot faster than I normally do lately. I'm usually a slowpoke at these things. Guess, that's why it took me like 2 years to finally get around to getting Galneryus's albums. :lol:

Lord_Brendan wrote:
I actually have known of them, but have never given them a shot. Where would you recommend me starting?

Ideally, from the very beginning with their debut Misogi, and then just go in chronological order from there. Just give their classic track “Destroy” (coincidentally enough, it's the first song off of their debut) a quick listen. If you like that, then you'll, at the very least, enjoy them.

Now, I fucking love this band (currently, they're in a three-way tie with Galneryus and Light Bringer as my favorite), but you do have to develop a taste for Kiba's bizarre vocals. Once you do that though, you're home-free since the musicship and songwriting is nothing less than stellar and there's literally not another band on the planet that writes like they do. Unfortunately, finding their albums is a huge crapshoot (I've been lucky as hell so far) if you don't live in Japan since a bunch of them are out of print and not everybody on amazon.jp ships overseas. And unless you have an amazing amount of money to blow all at once, getting their massive discography is going to take you awhile. I'm sitting on only 6 albums out of 16 myself. But they're so fucking good that other thrash bands (that aren't even necessarily close to being bad) just fall flat for me. It's honestly really hard for me to listen to any thrash besides these guys.

Good luck on the journey if you do try to undertake the task of collecting their albums though.

NP: Galneryus – Still Loving You

I went through the Yama-B era yesterday, so now it's time for the Sho albums! Gotta love the awesome basslines on this song. Killer riffs and solos as always.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Ideally, from the very beginning with their debut Misogi, and then just go in chronological order from there. Just give their classic track “Destroy” (coincidentally enough, it's the first song off of their debut) a quick listen. If you like that, then you'll, at the very least, enjoy them.

Now, I fucking love this band (currently, they're in a three-way tie with Galneryus and Light Bringer as my favorite), but you do have to develop a taste for Kiba's bizarre vocals. Once you do that though, you're home-free since the musicship and songwriting is nothing less than stellar and there's literally not another band on the planet that writes like they do. Unfortunately, finding their albums is a huge crapshoot (I've been lucky as hell so far) if you don't live in Japan since a bunch of them are out of print and not everybody on amazon.jp ships overseas. And unless you have an amazing amount of money to blow all at once, getting their massive discography is going to take you awhile. I'm sitting on only 6 albums out of 16 myself. But they're so fucking good that other thrash bands (that aren't even necessarily close to being bad) just fall flat for me. It's honestly really hard for me to listen to any thrash besides these guys.

Good luck on the journey if you do try to undertake the task of collecting their albums though.

NP: Galneryus – Still Loving You

I went through the Yama-B era yesterday, so now it's time for the Sho albums! Gotta love the awesome basslines on this song. Killer riffs and solos as always.

I really like that song, killer riff. The vocals are easy for me to get over (I am into bands like Melt Banana) so I will look into these guys. I went to Japan on student exchange years ago and still have contacts with a lot of bands over there, so maybe they can get me some stuff

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 pm 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
I really like that song, killer riff. The vocals are easy for me to get over (I am into bands like Melt Banana) so I will look into these guys. I went to Japan on student exchange years ago and still have contacts with a lot of bands over there, so maybe they can get me some stuff

Yeah, you'll quickly come to understand that nobody but Kiba could ever be a worthy vocalist for Gargoyle. Having contacts in Japan is definitely not a bad thing. "Destroy" is easily a thrash metal classic in my eyes, so my recommendation is to go for it of course.

NP: Galneryus - The Promised Flag

A really strong opening track. There's that insanely good slap bass solo in the middle too.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 pm 

Edguy - Defenders Of The Crown

Pretty good song actually. Edguy are very hit and miss with me

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48 pm 

Edguy - England

That Tobias is a fucking riot!! lol Great song!

Like your reviews?

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

There's no real standard for tagging Classical music, so you have to come up with your own hacked-together thing and it's terrible. I have a couple of classical collections (Stravinsky and William Walton) that I don't really listen to that often (especially not these days), but tagging these was hellish endeavor.

Can't say I see any purpose in separate Japanese and Western music myself (it all goes in the obligatory “Music” folder), but whatever floats your boat.

I guess for all intents and purposes, it functions as my "current listening" folder. Unfortunately, my other folders I stopped midway through organizing a year and a half ago and its all a mess. I really should go back and finish that - maybe my burnout has relented a bit to actually play some of that stuff.

I'm pretty OCD with Japanese lettering too (well, any foreign language, really). I hate romaji tags. Man, its really bad when you get a CD all in Japanese and can't find a tracklisting online. One CD of mine I had to open up a word document and insert symbols - pain in the ass, esp. since my eyesight sucks and that stuff is hard to read.

Quote:
Quote:

Mahatma's “Time Is” and Gargoyle's “Natural” are still on backorder, ugh. At least HMV ships really, really fast. Hopefully, I'll get it next week.

Backorder sucks. I have 4 orders tied up by backordered items. I may cancel all the backordered items eventually and put them all together into a new order. I should have some goodies arriving in the mail tomorrow - including Light Bringer's "Midnight Circus". Hopefully its in good shape and customs left that package alone.

Quote:
Quote:

Oh Jesus, that is really horrible. Hopefully stuff will work out, but it sucks seeing band members leaving like that (unless it's a band I really don't like :lol:).

I don't know if this is the norm over there, or I just picked a really bad time to follow bands. I know there's lineup changes all the time, but this seems a bit extreme.

Hopefully we'll get some good news with new bands and whatnot. Another thing I notice is there's more health-related withdrawals over there (esp. with girls). I guess they do have more environmental concerns over there.

Marina (ex-Destrose) I think is making an announcement tomorrow - hopefully it'll be some good news.

Quote:

Now that's how you play bass. That's some pretty sweet bass tone right there. There's a really good groovy feel to the song too. [/quote]
Ganglion is my favorite non-metal girl band over there (hell, maybe favorite non-metal band over there period). All instruments are pretty good, but the bass stood out a lot to me. Whoever their new bassist is (she's going to be revealed at their next gig), has big shoes to fill. Since their stuff is bit of a pain in the ass to find on youtube (due to getting mixed up with cysts), here's a few other songs:

Over this Wall (Live) - really nice bass here and proves they can pull this shit off live.

Catch your way (short version) - couldn't find the full version on youtube. My favorite song by them. Pity they didn't bother putting the full video up. They've been hanging around Destrose too much. :P

Koga (Gacharic Spin/Doll$boxx) is probably the best female bassist over there, but I think I like Yui just as much. Fin (Re:Maker/LionDigitaLiz/etc) is another one I like a lot. She was Albion's support bassist last year when Shoko went down with an injury of some sort. Here's her covering some Masaki Project song (some Japanese bass virtuoso). I'm no expert, but I'm guessing this isn't easy to do.

Quote:
Quote:

Same for me. I've struck out on a couple of Taru's (k-pop artist) latter albums though which was actually really disappointing. Her work while “The Melody” was together and her debut, self-titled solo album were both really damn good.

I'm amazed I haven't ran into more crap than I have. Normally when I start mining underground bands, the good to shit ratio worsens. I'm finding they have a lot of good, promising underground bands over there. I used to actually avoid self-released albums (mainly cuz most of the ones I came across sucked hard), but I can't do that anymore. I'm sure if I jumped into other genres, I'd find some stuff I don't like. Like some girl-bands like The Leaps and Crea were totally out of my comfort zone and didn't do much for me. I didn't like Silent Siren either.

Quote:
Quote:

I was pretty damn impressed with her vocals. The song on the PV didn't leave much of an impression on me in terms of vocals, but the other tracks on the album did. My favorite part has got to be whatever song it was with the really brief section where Yuri does some awesome high-pitched wailing. Wouldn't have mind if they repeated that once, but whatever.

She belted out a few good high notes in that PV (almost surprised me actually), but she shined elsewhere on that album more. Man, I hope they can rebuild their line-up. I'm almost dreading checking my twitter account to see what bad news shows up on there. I guess bands like A Drop of Joker renewed their lineup after losing 3 members, so I should be more optimistic. Things also probably seem more "dire" because I'm following things a lot closer than usual (I kinda have to, since Japanese music doesn't get much attention over here).

Quote:
I agree that the production job on the PV clip isn't so great. The music was great though and so was the older song.

I'm curious to see what Mary's Blood new material will be like - they do have some proggy tendencies (I know their guitarist likes jazz fusion... and... uhhh J-pop lol). Definitely one to look forward to this summer or so. Exist Trace should have a new one out soon too, unfortunately, they seem to be getting lighter and poppier for whatever reason.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, she was well within intimate range of the audience members :lol:.

You'd never see that over here. I didn't notice any security either. I guess their audiences are lot more polite/civil than over here. Japanese women seem to be really fucking extroverted too (definitely at least compared to female frontwomen over here). Almost every single one I've seen - including new/unsigned bands - has stage presence. Weird... something in the drinking water :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

Huh, the thrash parts were my favorite parts of the song too. Well, I plan to get some of Galneryus's Eps one of these days, but I should probably just listen to their albums more. Some of them, I haven't really played that much. Been consuming music a lot faster than I normally do lately. I'm usually a slowpoke at these things. Guess, that's why it took me like 2 years to finally get around to getting Galneryus's albums. :lol:

That EP is definitely worth getting - there's a couple exclusive songs on it ("Winning the Honor" is awesome), and a couple re-recordings. The Korean version actually has an extra track for whatever reason.

Anubis Gate "Purification"

A bit darker/moodier than their later stuff. Not bad at all... Thank the gods I snagged their first 2 CDs before they went out of print.

[edit] How in the fuck did I not notice that skullcrushing riff in "Discrowned" before?! I think I need to give this album more attention.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 pm 

I was just playing A Perfect Forever for the first time earlier. Cool album, really good when it goes all USPM style riffing with the strangely Marco Hietala-esque wailing vocals.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 pm 

Quote:
Lana del Rey-Blue Jeans.

Her general material isn't my favorite kind of music, and she is rather obviously derivative of both Nancy Sinatra and Hope Sandoval. But you're still correct.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:40 am 

Enjoying another great debut (to me) of 2014.

Morning Dwell - Morning Dwell

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:02 am 

Bi Kyo Ran - Feet on the Ground

Very heavy and angular guitar-driven King Crimson-styled progressive rock from Japan. Love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B8xKMj8-Z8

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:15 am 

Magic Circle - The Greatest Escape / White Shores

That's some sexy trad doom!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:16 am 

magnum - sacred hour

Man, all of Chase the Dragon rules divine ©OpsiusCato
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 am 

Evoken - Atra Mors

...it is not the singing of angels that beckon, but the feral groans of death...

haunting and all encompassing!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 am 

Amorphis-Battle for light

I used to listent to Amorphis much more in the past than now, but this is still pretty good.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:31 am 

Reign Of Fire - The Oracle

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:44 am 

Going to see them tonight

Jabawock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 am 

Procession - Nightsky (Scald cover)

I was not really impressed by this band so far, until I realized they recorded this majestic cover of this classic piece by Scald (Russia). Doomed Epicness!!
Now I'm looking forward to their show on saturday in Brussels :)

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:46 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Amorphis-Battle for light
I used to listent to Amorphis much more in the past than now, but this is still pretty good.

I only enjoy the classic albums:
(1992 + 1993) Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus + Privilege Of Evil (2003 Remaster).
(1994) Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes + Black Winter Day.
Could never get into nothing newer.

For My Demons (Katatonia Cover) from (2012) Shining - Lots of Girls Gonna Get Hurt.
I overlooked this release but this song rules.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 am 

I grew to love all the Amorphis stuff

Edguy - England

:lol: best chorus ever!

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Quote:
Lana del Rey-Blue Jeans.

Her general material isn't my favorite kind of music, and she is rather obviously derivative of both Nancy Sinatra and Hope Sandoval. But you're still correct.

Check out Tiamat's cover of Born to Die. It's pretty damn good. Been spinning The Scarred People alot the last couple days. Great album.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
I guess for all intents and purposes, it functions as my "current listening" folder. Unfortunately, my other folders I stopped midway through organizing a year and a half ago and its all a mess. I really should go back and finish that - maybe my burnout has relented a bit to actually play some of that stuff.

Organization will save you a lot of pain in the long run. I remember having a ton of poorly tagged mp3's with corrupt metadeta (curse you ID3!) that I had to run a bunch of commands on to fix. Thank goodness I'm sensible enough to use FLAC/Vorbis metadata tags instead.

Quote:
I'm pretty OCD with Japanese lettering too (well, any foreign language, really). I hate romaji tags. Man, its really bad when you get a CD all in Japanese and can't find a tracklisting online. One CD of mine I had to open up a word document and insert symbols - pain in the ass, esp. since my eyesight sucks and that stuff is hard to read.

Romaji tags suck; maybe it's just OCD or something, but there's never just one, consistent way to handle it, so I never do it (with a couple of exceptions though). A good example would be Gargoyle's “あめえば らいふ.” Just writing that directly into romaji would give you, “Ameeba Raifu.” But really, they probably just meant “Amoeba life” there. But then why did they use Hiragana instead of Katakana since those are foreign words? And why “me” instead of “mo?” I know it's really silly to care much about it, but just that one song would bother me forever if I tried to put that in romanji. I just leave it alone.

At the moment, I use romaji for bandnames (most Japanese bands don't have Japanese names funnily enough). I prefer to have my library in alphabetical order, and foreign characters obviously break that. Also, anything with official western releases usually have romanji in the CDDA, so I just leave that there since it is “official.” (I might change my mind on this later, but we'll see.) And for the sake of sanity, I leave the folder names for albums in romanji too, but the actual tags are in kanji/katakana/hiragana.

Oh, and Japanese characters really make me glad that I spent the time to make my font rendering all nice. Granted, Kanji is hard as hell to see no matter what you do, but Hiragana and Katakana look rather pretty on my computer. :lol:

Quote:
Backorder sucks. I have 4 orders tied up by backordered items. I may cancel all the backordered items eventually and put them all together into a new order. I should have some goodies arriving in the mail tomorrow - including Light Bringer's "Midnight Circus". Hopefully its in good shape and customs left that package alone.

Well, now I'm just waiting on Gargoyle's “Natural.” (It's a CD-R, on demand actually, but there's not much you can do about it.) I'm kind of tempted to get the copy that recently popped up on discogs though, but I know it'll take even longer to ship (and it costs more). But it is an actual pressing, I'm not sure how much I care about that.

Quote:
I don't know if this is the norm over there, or I just picked a really bad time to follow bands. I know there's lineup changes all the time, but this seems a bit extreme.

Hopefully we'll get some good news with new bands and whatnot. Another thing I notice is there's more health-related withdrawals over there (esp. with girls). I guess they do have more environmental concerns over there.

Marina (ex-Destrose) I think is making an announcement tomorrow - hopefully it'll be some good news.

It does seem kind of normal for band members to fly in and out over there, but that does seem rather extreme. I think it's just really bad luck.

Quote:
Ganglion is my favorite non-metal girl band over there (hell, maybe favorite non-metal band over there period). All instruments are pretty good, but the bass stood out a lot to me. Whoever their new bassist is (she's going to be revealed at their next gig), has big shoes to fill. Since their stuff is bit of a pain in the ass to find on youtube (due to getting mixed up with cysts), here's a few other songs:

Over this Wall (Live) - really nice bass here and proves they can pull this shit off live.

Catch your way (short version) - couldn't find the full version on youtube. My favorite song by them. Pity they didn't bother putting the full video up. They've been hanging around Destrose too much. :P

Koga (Gacharic Spin/Doll$boxx) is probably the best female bassist over there, but I think I like Yui just as much. Fin (Re:Maker/LionDigitaLiz/etc) is another one I like a lot. She was Albion's support bassist last year when Shoko went down with an injury of some sort. Here's her covering some Masaki Project song (some Japanese bass virtuoso). I'm no expert, but I'm guessing this isn't easy to do.

That's some really radical tapping there on the last track. I never really played a string instrument, but I can assure you that's not easy.

Ironically enough, despite listening to a lot lighter music these days, I've been listening to more metal not less. I've been meaning to get more into jrock stuff, but I haven't gotten around to it. I should though, I know it's great.

Quote:
I'm amazed I haven't ran into more crap than I have. Normally when I start mining underground bands, the good to shit ratio worsens. I'm finding they have a lot of good, promising underground bands over there. I used to actually avoid self-released albums (mainly cuz most of the ones I came across sucked hard), but I can't do that anymore. I'm sure if I jumped into other genres, I'd find some stuff I don't like. Like some girl-bands like The Leaps and Crea were totally out of my comfort zone and didn't do much for me. I didn't like Silent Siren either.

I'm certain there's plenty of bubblegum-esque poppy idol stuff that I'm better off without too. Right now, Japan does seem to have an extremely high good to shit ratio as far as rock and really melodic metal stuff goes. It's certainly better than anything else I'm aware.

Quote:
You'd never see that over here. I didn't notice any security either. I guess their audiences are lot more polite/civil than over here. Japanese women seem to be really fucking extroverted too (definitely at least compared to female frontwomen over here). Almost every single one I've seen - including new/unsigned bands - has stage presence. Weird... something in the drinking water :lol:

Which is funny because Japanese society is introverted as hell (and also soul-crushing, but that's another story). The people there are polite as hell (probably too polite actually), so it's really not surprising when I think about it.

NP: Onmyo-za - 妖花忍法帖

Man, I saw the PV for this track like years ago (it's actually not up on youtube anymore sadly enough) and instantly fell in love. It's nice to finally have the CD; I don't know what took me so long. Amazingly good ballad and Kuroneko just knocks it out of the park with the chorus.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm 

Cradle of Filth – Funeral in Carpathia

This album oozes that gothic atmosphere.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:39 pm 

The Offspring - All I want

Good times, being a shit-for-brains kid, playing Crazy Taxi with this song playing on

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:47 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Organization will save you a lot of pain in the long run. I remember having a ton of poorly tagged mp3's with corrupt metadeta (curse you ID3!) that I had to run a bunch of commands on to fix. Thank goodness I'm sensible enough to use FLAC/Vorbis metadata tags instead.

I used to be really organized with my files - not sure what happened. Maybe I'll get things cleaned up this weekend. As odd as it sounds, I don't bother with media libraries (like the one foobar uses) - I tend to go through directories and do it manually. I think I'm still butthurt that the last time I tried setting up a playlist (for Onmyo-Za's singles), it randomly got deleted or overwritten or something. I really need to organize their folder actually. I have 30 folders there, and its really confusing, esp. since its all in Japanese. Hell, I still refer to their albums by the release date or what the album cover looks like. Totally disorienting, actually.

Quote:
At the moment, I use romaji for bandnames (most Japanese bands don't have Japanese names funnily enough). I prefer to have my library in alphabetical order, and foreign characters obviously break that. Also, anything with official western releases usually have romanji in the CDDA, so I just leave that there since it is “official.” (I might change my mind on this later, but we'll see.) And for the sake of sanity, I leave the folder names for albums in romanji too, but the actual tags are in kanji/katakana/hiragana.

For tags, I don't but romanji in the album or band name, but for the actual folders, sometimes I do. Like mixing up 陰陽座 and 天狗櫻 would be pretty easy for me to do (Onmyo-Za and Tengusakura, respectively). This stuff is an absolute nightmare for stuff like last.fm. I do my best, but I'm past the point of caring :lol: I don't think getting worked up over something where I'm like 1 of 5 people worldwide scrobbing it is the end of the world.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, now I'm just waiting on Gargoyle's “Natural.” (It's a CD-R, on demand actually, but there's not much you can do about it.) I'm kind of tempted to get the copy that recently popped up on discogs though, but I know it'll take even longer to ship (and it costs more). But it is an actual pressing, I'm not sure how much I care about that.

My orders arrived today and that Light Bringer was in great shape, thank fuck. That 時空海賊 Seven Seas's booklet/obi strip were in subpar condition, but the CD was in great shape. And that's what matters, really. I just hope it rips fine. Considering how rare it is, and that I got it for 1000 yen (before fees), I'm not going to whine. I may actually have to swallow my OCD and learn to accept a few scratched CDs. This stuff is pretty hard to find decent quality rips of as well (all transcoded trash or shit bitrates).

The rest of the stuff I'll have to chip away at over the weekend. That Los Child I nailed for pretty cheap (its OOP)... shit, I got all obsessed about getting that one and I don't even know if its any good :lol: I think the price was lowered because the jewelcase had some cracks in it (it was still shrinkwrapped). That was easy enough to fix.

Quote:
It does seem kind of normal for band members to fly in and out over there, but that does seem rather extreme. I think it's just really bad luck.

Yeah, I hope its coincidence. I never noticed that happening too much over here, but I never followed things this closely. Oh, Marina announced a new band/project. It sounds a lot like... you guessed it.. Destrose! :lol: The ever-ubiquitous Hibiki does bass on this.

And Destrose already found a replacement vocalist, which will be announced in June. Ibuki (Art of Gradation) is doing support live vocals for them, I think. Not sure if I'd want her being their full-time vocalist (I don't think she fits). Mind you, Art of Gradation doesn't exactly demand a shrieky vocalist or anything. :lol:

Gotta say, they sure work fast. But chances are this was all figured out way ahead of time.

Quote:
That's some really radical tapping there on the last track. I never really played a string instrument, but I can assure you that's not easy.

Fin is like a female Hibiki. Pity she isn't in a metal band or whatever. Mind you, Re:MAKER was close. Actually not sure what genre that band falls in. Vocaloid experimental electro j-pop/j-rock/j-metal. Pretty spacey/psychedeleic too. Nice bass and guitar work too (Saki from Mary's Blood plays in this).

Quote:
Ironically enough, despite listening to a lot lighter music these days, I've been listening to more metal not less. I've been meaning to get more into jrock stuff, but I haven't gotten around to it. I should though, I know it's great.

I think blundering into J-rock just happened for me. Its kinda an ajunct to metal over there anyway. Like a lot of metal bands tour with rock bands. Concert-billings over there are pretty crazy, actually. Like, there was a recent one where Ganglion played with Gyze (melodeath) and Knights of Round (power metal). Mind you, I own CDs by all those bands, so maybe its not so weird after all. Those bands all get along really good too. D_drive and Gacharic Spin seem to tour with everyone too. Shit, probably Light Bringer at one point too. I think they had a show with Gargoyle once.

Quote:
I'm certain there's plenty of bubblegum-esque poppy idol stuff that I'm better off without too. Right now, Japan does seem to have an extremely high good to shit ratio as far as rock and really melodic metal stuff goes. It's certainly better than anything else I'm aware.

For me, it usually has to have rock instrumentation (guitar/bass/drums/etc) and have a high degree of competence. So, dipping into j-rock/j-pop isn't that big of a deal to me. If there's no actual instruments, bleh, screw that crap. I wouldn't mind dabbling in some electronic stuff, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for, so I kinda gave up.

Quote:
Quote:

Which is funny because Japanese society is introverted as hell (and also soul-crushing, but that's another story). The people there are polite as hell (probably too polite actually), so it's really not surprising when I think about it.

They sure seem to have a good time at concerts, at any rate. Going by the lives I've watched, there seems to be a higher emphasis on fun. Mind you, with power metal and j-rock, that's really not that huge of a shock.

Light Bringer "Midnight Circus"

On CD... finally!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:20 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
I used to be really organized with my files - not sure what happened. Maybe I'll get things cleaned up this weekend. As odd as it sounds, I don't bother with media libraries (like the one foobar uses) - I tend to go through directories and do it manually. I think I'm still butthurt that the last time I tried setting up a playlist (for Onmyo-Za's singles), it randomly got deleted or overwritten or something. I really need to organize their folder actually. I have 30 folders there, and its really confusing, esp. since its all in Japanese. Hell, I still refer to their albums by the release date or what the album cover looks like. Totally disorienting, actually.

Yep, I do the exact same thing. Unless the name is really simple (like Misogi), it's identification by album covers or release date for me. It does get confusing on my portable device though. I can't scroll through pretty album art, so I have to squint at these funky symbols on this tiny resolution screen and take a guess. Let's just say I usually mess up. :lol:

Quote:
For tags, I don't but romanji in the album or band name, but for the actual folders, sometimes I do. Like mixing up 陰陽座 and 天狗櫻 would be pretty easy for me to do (Onmyo-Za and Tengusakura, respectively). This stuff is an absolute nightmare for stuff like last.fm. I do my best, but I'm past the point of caring :lol: I don't think getting worked up over something where I'm like 1 of 5 people worldwide scrobbing it is the end of the world.

Oh Jesus. I'm also really thankful that Japanese bands tend to stick to not-Japanese names so I can actually pronounce them on the off chance somebody asks what I'm listening too. I wish they could fix their language, but apparently they have a million homophones hence the funky runes for everything.

Quote:
My orders arrived today and that Light Bringer was in great shape, thank fuck. That 時空海賊 Seven Seas's booklet/obi strip were in subpar condition, but the CD was in great shape. And that's what matters, really. I just hope it rips fine. Considering how rare it is, and that I got it for 1000 yen (before fees), I'm not going to whine. I may actually have to swallow my OCD and learn to accept a few scratched CDs. This stuff is pretty hard to find decent quality rips of as well (all transcoded trash or shit bitrates).

The rest of the stuff I'll have to chip away at over the weekend. That Los Child I nailed for pretty cheap (its OOP)... shit, I got all obsessed about getting that one and I don't even know if its any good :lol: I think the price was lowered because the jewelcase had some cracks in it (it was still shrinkwrapped). That was easy enough to fix.

Yeah, I saw that in the purchase thread. Really nice stuff. You're making wish I didn't have the income of a just a part-time worker and college student. Had to pay for a state inspection on my car earlier today, and I thought to myself, “Damn that's a couple of Japanese albums right there.”

Quote:
Yeah, I hope its coincidence. I never noticed that happening too much over here, but I never followed things this closely. Oh, Marina announced a new band/project. It sounds a lot like... you guessed it.. Destrose! :lol: The ever-ubiquitous Hibiki does bass on this.

And Destrose already found a replacement vocalist, which will be announced in June. Ibuki (Art of Gradation) is doing support live vocals for them, I think. Not sure if I'd want her being their full-time vocalist (I don't think she fits). Mind you, Art of Gradation doesn't exactly demand a shrieky vocalist or anything. :lol:

Gotta say, they sure work fast. But chances are this was all figured out way ahead of time.

That's pretty good. Hibiki involved is never a bad thing.

Quote:
Fin is like a female Hibiki. Pity she isn't in a metal band or whatever. Mind you, Re:MAKER was close. Actually not sure what genre that band falls in. Vocaloid experimental electro j-pop/j-rock/j-metal. Pretty spacey/psychedeleic too. Nice bass and guitar work too (Saki from Mary's Blood plays in this).

Haha, ridiculously long genre names never fail to amuse me.

I've been appreciating bass more and more these days, and so does Japan apparently. Hell, Toshi's godly basslines are a major reason why I think Gargoyle is so fucking good. I don't think there's another thrash metal out band there you could listen to for just the bass. The man is almost 50 now and he can play circles around most bassists. I suppose that Toshi and Hibiki are currently locked in an intense death match for my favorite bassist right now. :lol:

Quote:
I think blundering into J-rock just happened for me. Its kinda an ajunct to metal over there anyway. Like a lot of metal bands tour with rock bands. Concert-billings over there are pretty crazy, actually. Like, there was a recent one where Ganglion played with Gyze (melodeath) and Knights of Round (power metal). Mind you, I own CDs by all those bands, so maybe its not so weird after all. Those bands all get along really good too. D_drive and Gacharic Spin seem to tour with everyone too. Shit, probably Light Bringer at one point too. I think they had a show with Gargoyle once.

I've sort of stumbled in and out at various points. Randomly, I'd buy a Dir En Grey album or something along those lines. Never truly got into (I should though). But yeah, the rock isn't far off from metal at all, and that's certainly not a bad thing.

Also, a concert with both Light Bringer and Gargoyle sounds like something out of a dream. :lol:

Quote:
For me, it usually has to have rock instrumentation (guitar/bass/drums/etc) and have a high degree of competence. So, dipping into j-rock/j-pop isn't that big of a deal to me. If there's no actual instruments, bleh, screw that crap. I wouldn't mind dabbling in some electronic stuff, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for, so I kinda gave up.

I can't do full-on electronic either. I'm perfectly fine with wacky, crazy synthesizer wankery and acid special effects, but once the actual instruments disappear, it just don't work for me anymore. I've only heard a handful of 100% electronic songs I could truly say I liked.

Quote:
They sure seem to have a good time at concerts, at any rate. Going by the lives I've watched, there seems to be a higher emphasis on fun. Mind you, with power metal and j-rock, that's really not that huge of a shock.

It'd be pretty hard not to have fun. They definitely like epileptic light shows and glowsticks for whatever reason. It's a little odd seeing the crazy glowsticks in both poppy idol shows and really heavy stuff though.

Mahatma – Tiger's Eye

I swear that I listen to this PV at least once a day. I'm pretty damn excited for this album. It's a shame that it's going to be held up by backorder.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:14 am 

Marag wrote:
The Offspring - All I want

Good times, being a shit-for-brains kid, playing Crazy Taxi with this song playing on

I Still love that song

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
I grew to love all the Amorphis stuff

I can't because the style is so different.

BasqueStorm wrote:
For My Demons (Katatonia Cover) from (2012) Shining - Lots of Girls Gonna Get Hurt.
I overlooked this release but this song rules.

For My Demons from (1999) Katatonia - Tonight's Decision (2003 Digipak).
Fuck! Shining did a GREAT job!

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:52 am 

Ween - Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1441, 1442, 1443, 1444, 1445, 1446, 1447 ... 2925  Next