Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:00 pm 

Morgue - eroded thoughts
Nice and tidy old school DM.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:21 pm 

Teenage Bottlerocket - I Wanna Die

Took me a year, but I finally got it. And now, like the vocalist, I just wanna shout FUCK! dejectedly from the rooftops.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:14 pm 

Wormed - A-Life Omega Point

This album is high art! Not to mention it was spot on live. Respect to all the musicians, especially Calero.

Edit: slayrrr666's review is absolutely hilarious, if accurate.

Last edited by Alsandair on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 pm 

Grand Magus - Sword Songs

Really cool, fun album.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:30 pm 

Sodom - Better Off Dead

I haven't listened to this album before, despite being a fan of Sodom for so long. I guess it's mainly due to the fact that nobody ever talks about it even though it has a fairly high rating. I'm pretty sure I'll end up liking it because I'm a huge fanboy.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:44 pm 

Iron Savior "Titancraft"

Initial listen - let's see if its as bad as everyone says it is.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 am 

Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned

First three songs are really good. The rest is pretty much boring groove metal dog shit. Such a disappointing album.

Edit: I forgot to add, "Forward March" is a good one, but in the end the shittiness of the rest of the album makes the good songs forgettable.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:00 am 

Dismember - Bleed For Me

Debut still kills all other old school death metal

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:12 am 

Mnemic-Mechanical Spin Phenomena(full album)

Industrial metal/alternative metal from Denmark. What a fucking great cd!! long time without listening to it. The following works were more predictable(though they have catchy choruses) but this one is more intrincated and atmospheric.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:57 am 

Chelsea Wolfe - We Hit a Wall

quite intrigued about seeing her live this summer

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:59 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned

First three songs are really good. The rest is pretty much boring groove metal dog shit. Such a disappointing album.

Edit: I forgot to add, "Forward March" is a good one, but in the end the shittiness of the rest of the album makes the good songs forgettable.

Not that I agree with your assessment (I think 7/10 songs are great) but how do bad songs make the good ones forgettable? That doesn't make sense. I think most of Fear of the Dark is unlistenable mediocrity but that doesn't ruin Be Quick or Be Dead or Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

NP: Mr. Bungle - discography
Been on a binge since yesterday. I love FNM but damn, Mr. Bungle's SO VERY COOL and awesome and brilliant and just...beautiful...

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:01 am 

Sorgeldom - Innerlig förmörkelse

depressive stuff :panda:

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:15 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Not that I agree with your assessment (I think 7/10 songs are great) but how do bad songs make the good ones forgettable? That doesn't make sense. I think most of Fear of the Dark is unlistenable mediocrity but that doesn't ruin Be Quick or Be Dead or Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

I don't know, but that's how I feel about them. I've listened to this album a fair amount, yet the only one I can fully remember is "Scar Spangled Banner".

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:23 am 

Maybe you should eat more oily fish? :P

Seriously, War is my Shepherd, Shroud of Urine, Forward March, Blacklist, they all sound incredibly catchy to me. I have the complete opposite experience from you.

Do you do other stuff while listening to music? Like surfing the net, reading, doing chores or whatever?

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Seriously, War is my Shepherd, Shroud of Urine, Forward March, Blacklist, they all sound incredibly catchy to me. I have the complete opposite experience from you.

Do you do other stuff while listening to music? Like surfing the net, reading, doing chores or whatever?

I had fish just yesterday, but I do need to consume more fish oils. :)

Yeah, I usually play video games when listening to music. But, if an album is truly great, I have no problems remembering any of it.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:44 am 

I'd have thought that a lone highlight surrounded by an otherwise mediocre album makes the highlight seem even better, at least in the context of the album. It's like the difference between Mt. Fuji and Mt. Everest; even if the latter is taller the former is all the more profound due to the surrounding geography.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:50 am 

Sunrise - Prayer for You

Really cool moodier, poppier track. I like the experimentation - would always like to see more from a band like this.

Takatalvi_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:58 am 

stefan86 wrote:
Slumber - Rapture

still the best death/doom has to offer

I don't know how I missed this yesterday. Now I think I have to go listen to Slumber too :) I'm bad at naming the "best" of anything (bands, books, ice cream flavors...) but Slumber is certainly up there, certainly in my top ten of melodic death/doom.

But first..

NP: Be'lakor - An Ember's Arc

Because Youtube. I've been buried in work recently and didn't even realize Be'lakor was releasing an album this month. This song starts out slower than is usual for them, but toward the middle you can feel it building, till it explodes in a rain of blastbeats. It keeps changing from there, from aggressive, to melodic-doomy, to pretty acoustic stuff, to epic guitars.. If the rest of the album is like this, it should be awesome.

Last edited by Takatalvi_ on Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:

I had fish just yesterday, but I do need to consume more fish oils. :)

Yeah, I usually play video games when listening to music. But, if an album is truly great, I have no problems remembering any of it.

Well, in my opinion that's not the proper way to listen to music. I don't dount that some stuff may stand out when you play a game (for whatever reason) but that is not a real criterion for judging music. Music demands your full attention.

Or maybe that's just me. But I cannot trust the opinion of someone who hasn't done at least a few careful, attentive listens.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:21 am 

Desire - Infinity... A Timeless Journey Through an Emotional Dream

The most beautiful doom metal album I've ever heard. And every tracks have unique part. Beyond godlike.
Hey doom/death metal fans you should listen to this.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:24 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Well, in my opinion that's not the proper way to listen to music. I don't dount that some stuff may stand out when you play a game (for whatever reason) but that is not a real criterion for judging music. Music demands your full attention.

Or maybe that's just me. But I cannot trust the opinion of someone who hasn't done at least a few careful, attentive listens.

Suit yourself, but it works perfectly for me. There isn't one right way to listen to music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:26 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Yeah, I remember the part of his post where he said "I really want my opinions validated by Dungeon Vic" too.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 am 

Dungeon Vic listens to the highly intellectual music of Exodus while comfortable in his black leather chair with a glass of Pinot noir in the hand. His attention alternates between the sumptuous guitars of maestro Gary Holt and the slow flames of his fire place where he burns the corpses of the posers he kills. Nothing else is there to distract him from the immense cultural experience of the glorious sounds of thrash metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 am 

I don't give a shit if he asked me to validate his opinions or not. I just speak my mind.

Someone who doesn't pay his full attention to music is not really in position to speak about it critically. That goes for everyone, not just Master_of_Thrash and I think it is common sense. "I can't remember any song from this album I had playing in the background while shooting people on XBOX." OK. Must be a forgettable album then.

I loved the image of me sipping wine (SATAN) and listening to Exodus though.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:05 pm 

Now I see why Diamhea and others think of you as a self-righteous twat. I don't care if you think me playing video games affects my ability to listen to music, nor do I care about your opinion. Just because it didn't work for you, it doesn't mean that others can't do it. Tempo Of The Damned is plodding groove metal bullshit. It's okay if you like it and I won't give you shit for liking it, but don't come on here and tell me that I'm wrong because you don't agree with how I listen to my music. I could listen to music while sitting down doing fuck all like you seem to do, but I'd rather not.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:07 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I don't give a shit if he asked me to validate his opinions or not. I just speak my mind.

Someone who doesn't pay his full attention to music is not really in position to speak about it critically. That goes for everyone, not just Master_of_Thrash and I think it is common sense. "I can't remember any song from this album I had playing in the background while shooting people on XBOX." OK. Must be a forgettable album then.

I loved the image of me sipping wine (SATAN) and listening to Exodus though.

I agree with you in principle, but it's douchey as fuck to just randomly confront him or act like he was doing any more than talk about it casually on here. He wasn't really speaking about it critically if it's one random post on a forum. Get over it.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:21 pm 

How am I randomly confronting him? For fucks sake, it was a discussion that started with this statement:
"the shittiness of the rest of the album makes the good songs forgettable." which doesn't even make sense.

He is casually calling an album forgettable dog shit and I am casually replying that you can't expect to remember an album while you're not really paying attention to it (whatever you say) - all of a sudden this is a terrible insult because.... because? It's not nice? What?

I haven't been involved in internet drama for ages but this place sure loves it.

I will say though Master of Thrash that your memory is definitely not that great because it is not just now that you see what a self-righteous twat I am like all the cool people think, you knew that before.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:23 pm 

Blind Guardian - When Sorrow Sang

Shit...I dont know whether to headbang or cry during this song, so beautiful and furious at the same time.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:42 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
How am I randomly confronting him? For fucks sake, it was a discussion that started with this statement:
"the shittiness of the rest of the album makes the good songs forgettable." which doesn't even make sense.

He is casually calling an album forgettable dog shit and I am casually replying that you can't expect to remember an album while you're not really paying attention to it (whatever you say) - all of a sudden this is a terrible insult because.... because? It's not nice? What?

I haven't been involved in internet drama for ages but this place sure loves it.

I will say though Master of Thrash that your memory is definitely not that great because it is not just now that you see what a self-righteous twat I am like all the cool people think, you knew that before.

Again, for the millionth time, I do pay attention to music while playing video games, or jerking off, or whatever the fuck I'm doing. If you're not willing to accept that, cool. It doesn't matter to me in the end. Also, it is a terrible insult because you sound ignorant as hell.

Moving on...

Takatalvi_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:48 pm 

*dodges the crossfire*

Paw wrote:

The most beautiful doom metal album I've ever heard. And every tracks have unique part. Beyond godlike.

Okay! :P

I'm so distractable. I never got to Slumber--I spent the morning listening to Be'lakor. And now going to listen to this.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:50 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Moving on...

:bow:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:51 pm 

Having a mini-hardcore matinee in my office today:

Kill Your Idols - Can't Take My Pride

Very energetic NYHC that flirts with Poison Idea aesthetics.

Speaking of whom...

Poison Idea - Gone For Good

Still one of the all-time best US punk bands.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:20 pm 

Paw wrote:

I tried that release and thought it was really bland.

NP: Supplicium - To Meet One's Doom

Oppressive and sinister doom/death metal. Thanks OpsiusCato! :metal:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:24 pm 

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis

A mechanized, roiling war machine if there ever was one. This is modern death/groove done splendidly, with rude production values to match.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:46 pm 

Blind Guardian — The Quest For Tanelorn

Somewhere Far Beyond is the best power/speed album ever no contest!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:48 pm 

Árstíðir lífsins - Vindsvalarmál

Potent pagan black metal, lots of those silly generic bands like Aaskereia and Waldschrat should learn a thing or two from these guys. Also I think they're the only band I've heard so far who are genuinely into the whole Norse thing. Bathory, Moonsorrow, Kampfar, Graveland, Hades, even Isengard, etc. are amazing bands and all but they never seemed 100% devoted to the mythology and history of their imagery. This is finely crafted shit.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:08 pm 

Paw wrote:

definitely one of the best death/doom albums ever. Portugal has some awesome death/doom bands.

Fyrnask — Fjǫrvar ok benjar

nice atmospheric black metal with clean guitars

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:33 pm 

Bruce Dickinson - The Tower

One of my all time favorite metal vocal performances. Just huge sounding.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:38 pm 

Agent Steel - omega conspiracy
One of the best comeback albums I've heard. It's a short list so that makes it that much more impressive. Not just a 'gathering of old friends'.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:43 pm 

Paw wrote:

I wish this would get reissued. The original CD goes for ludicrous prices...
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1716, 1717, 1718, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1722 ... 2933  Next