Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:32 pm 

Fluisteraars - 't Hondslog

Glorious atmospheric black metal. I enjoy this more than the full length

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:14 pm 

Celesterre - "Celesterre Burns In Gold" from A Blooming Spring

Heavy metal, black metal, doom metal. I'm not even sure how to begin to classify this, but I know I dig it. Ordered myself a copy of the EP from the band's Bandcamp.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:13 am 

Solitude Aeturnus - Black Castle, off Beyond the Crimson Horizon

Sometimes, a menacing enough riff is everything you need to be doom as fuck.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:03 am 

Lord Fist - Super Sailor

I'm sold on Finnish heavy metal. These guys rule. Also, I'm super stoked to know that they're coming out with an album in 2015.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:36 am 

Sonata Arctica – The Wolves Die Young

Catchy little tune, the riff is always stuck in my head

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:56 pm 

Slomatics - And Yet It Moves

Way better heavy guitar tone-laden stoner/doom than much talked about Conan and Monolord.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:01 pm 

Depeche Mode - Fragile Tension

This album was one of my anthems for driving around last summer doing freelance writing. A powerful, soothing experience.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:06 pm 

EXODUS - Blood In, Blood Out

My sister and her husband got me this (along with some other Exodus swag). Signed by the band, too, as they were playing in the club owned by my brother-in-law.

Thrashy so far!

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:13 pm 

Black Sabbath - The Shining

The Eternal Idol could have been an absolute masterpiece if it had no typical 80's rock vibe at times. Still, the highlights on this album such as this track are absolutely fantastic. Tony Martin rules!

Are the demo tracks with the other singer worth hearing though?

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:25 pm 

Decapitated – Blessed

What a riff-fest

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:18 pm 

Melechesh - Djinn CD

One of my favorite Melechesh CD's along with Sphynx.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:34 pm 

delain - invidia

I can't get into the new album but some of these older ones seem to hold up OK.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:37 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Black Sabbath - The Shining

The Eternal Idol could have been an absolute masterpiece if it had no typical 80's rock vibe at times. Still, the highlights on this album such as this track are absolutely fantastic. Tony Martin rules!

Are the demo tracks with the other singer worth hearing though?

Hell yeah! Ray Gillen was badass. I have the version with those tracks and I like them.

Like your reviews?

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:12 am 

Om - Haqq al-Yaqin

This one always puts me in a very relaxed state. A favorite to end the night with, for sure.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:13 am 

Mithotyn-Tills Dagen grir

Great and short track, I love those Scandinavic clean vocals.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:28 am 

Aryan Terrorism - War

Great guitar tone and some solid riffs on this album, but there's also a couple of underwhelming songs. Pretty mixed, but rather enjoyable for what it is.

Edit: Narjahanam - Undama Tath'hur Al Shams Mn Al Gharb

Blackened death/doom with some eastern folk elements from Bahrain. Exceptional stuff. Awesome, heavy, thick guitars. Quite a dark atmosphere as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:53 pm 

Primordial - The Ghosts of Charnal House

Not familiar with much of these dudes' work (really just a few songs and the TTND album), but this is cool. Big, epic metal songs with howling, raw vocals - I like how unpolished and live this sounds. Very natural and rootsy like the band is playing in the same room as you. Songwriting is in fine form and very dark, dense and climactic. Raw emotional rage.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:15 am 

Stargazer - A Merging to the Boundless

An almost flawless album imo. I love the bass solo in The Grand Equalizer

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:22 am 

Colour Haze - Call

Fuck man! Out of nowhere Colour Haze delivers their evergreen transcendental space grooves to snatch one of my top spots for AOTY.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:50 pm 

Symbyosis "The Fluid"

Going through neglected CDs today... I wish this band would record something new, they're long overdue.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:17 pm 

Sonata Arctica – Kingdom for a Heart 2014

WHERES THE KEYBOARDS?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:01 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:

I'll have to listen to this one soon. I have A Great Work of Ages but I haven't listened to it in such a long time now. I guess I haven't felt the need to return to it lately. How does this new one compare? Is it better?

Perdition666 wrote:
Symbyosis "The Fluid"

Going through neglected CDs today... I wish this band would record something new, they're long overdue.

I agree! It's been a very long time since the highly impressive On the Wings of Phoenix, so I'm keen to hear something new from them. I have come to terms with the band actually not being together anymore, whether that's true or not. Symbyosis are a pretty good band.

...And Oceans - Cypher

I'm trying to decide whether this one or A.M.G.O.D. is better. What I do know is that both albums are very good, and I enjoy this later incantation of ...And Oceans, and they're continuation into Havoc Unit. I wished they would have continued with this style, but it seems that it's all over now, since they've again reverted back to Festerday. At any rate, Cypher is a trippy foray into electronic/industrial metal with some odd vocals, and I can really dig this style.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:48 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:

I'll have to listen to this one soon. I have A Great Work of Ages but I haven't listened to it in such a long time now. I guess I haven't felt the need to return to it lately. How does this new one compare? Is it better?

A lot of people seem to regard the new one as better but I disagree. It's still a great album but it misses some of that raw energy and immediate catchiness of A Great Work of Ages. The production is partly to blame for this. It's very clear and professional and actually very nice. Extremely well balanced etc etc. However it does cause the music to lose some of it's power and energy. The production on A Great Work of Ages is quite muddy but also very organic and everything does shine through. It just adds a little bit of that much needed rawness and viscerality which A Merging of the Boundless sadly misses. That and the catchiness. It's probably still going to make my top 20 of 2014 though. It's just not as good as Ages, which is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Tribulation - Vagina Dentata.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:15 pm 

Blind Guardian – Majesty

God, what a neckbreaker

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:18 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:

I love A Great Work of Ages but if I have to choose, I'd go with this one. The transmission between the different styles are smoother and the overall composition sounds better to my ears. While Henkkjelle has a point about the cleaner production taking away some of the raw energy found on the previous album, I don't think its much of an issue because the production isn't lifelessly super clean.

NP: Blodfest - Ild Vist Ulmer

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:33 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
A lot of people seem to regard the new one as better but I disagree. It's still a great album but it misses some of that raw energy and immediate catchiness of A Great Work of Ages. The production is partly to blame for this. It's very clear and professional and actually very nice. Extremely well balanced etc etc. However it does cause the music to lose some of it's power and energy. The production on A Great Work of Ages is quite muddy but also very organic and everything does shine through. It just adds a little bit of that much needed rawness and viscerality which A Merging of the Boundless sadly misses. That and the catchiness. It's probably still going to make my top 20 of 2014 though. It's just not as good as Ages, which is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Beer Baron wrote:
I love A Great Work of Ages but if I have to choose, I'd go with this one. The transmission between the different styles are smoother and the overall composition sounds better to my ears. While Henkkjelle has a point about the cleaner production taking away some of the raw energy found on the previous album, I don't think its much of an issue because the production isn't lifelessly super clean.

Cheers to both of you. :thumbsup: I think what is agreed is that if I like one, I'll like the other. I will have to listen to A Great Work of Ages again and see how I feel about that. :)

Dark Fount - A Sapless Leave Withering in the Night Fog

Chinese black metal. Production is poor and inconsistent, really, but otherwise this is not a bad album. Don't listen to it very much but I do tend to enjoy it when I hear it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:47 pm 

Abysmal Dawn - Laborem Morte Liberat Te

At first I didn't get into this album but have since found it to be quite a quality piece of death metal. My favorite two tracks are this one (track 08) and Loathed In Life - Praised In Death (track 06). Overall, this album has quality songwriting and some great riffage. The vocals aren't great, but they fit well enough. One thing that really stands out are some amazing leads that blend perfectly with the music.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:08 am 

Been on an Arckanum binge lately, and goddamn! Kampen is an absolute classic album! I feel like kicking my own ass for leaving it on the shelf ignored so long. Really, is there a more captivating riff in all of black metal than the second half of "Minir Natz Fughlir"?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:43 am 

Sentenced - Killing Me, Killing You

This song is quite deceitful. Makes you compulsively grasp knife and bottle into your hands. The video to this song only strengthens that feeling. Just made an order for Crimson and The Cold White Light.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:26 am 

Abysmal Dawn - Programmed to Consume

A good release overall took about 3 listens too sink in.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:30 pm 

Slayer – Ghosts Of War

South Of Heaven rules

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:18 pm 

^RISE GHOSTS OF WAR :headbang:

NP: Wargasm - Satan Stole My Lunch Money (Deluxe Expanded Edition)

This is a compilation of all their demos. Killer thrash by this legendary band from Boston. The cd is sold out but you can download it from their bandcamp page for $9.99.

SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:26 pm 

Son of Aurelius - The Weary Wheel

I'm surprised that this album hasn't gotten much attention! This song, like all of the others, are really well-balanced and tasty as fuck.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:01 pm 

Dismember - Killing Compassion

Great album just bugs me how low the vocals are in the mix.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:33 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Been on an Arckanum binge lately, and goddamn! Kampen is an absolute classic album! I feel like kicking my own ass for leaving it on the shelf ignored so long. Really, is there a more captivating riff in all of black metal than the second half of "Minir Natz Fughlir"?

I have to try this band but I feel it like a gimmick.

Folkemon_ wrote:
Slayer – Ghosts Of War
South Of Heaven rules

It does!

A Cold Funereal Breeze from (2010) Elffor - Frostbitten Pain.
This FUCKING kills! I think it's, at the moment, my fav Elffor album.

P.S: I just came from walking in the snowed woods and this feels SO good!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:35 pm 

Darkspace - Dark III I

This whole album is engulfing, claustrophobic, intense and... entirely consistent with the bands past material, which is splendid as far as I'm concerned!

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:37 pm 

Ulver - Kveldssanger

I'm making my way through the Ulver box set and I'm blown away. I was sent some sample mp3s of the remastered versions and they sounded terrible - really flat and lifeless. The vinyl sounds so much better. Just a wonderful, rich, warm sound. Extremely happy with this release.

Wait, BasqueStorm, why do you say that Arckanum feels like a gimmick?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:40 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Darkspace - Dark III I
This whole album is engulfing, claustrophobic, intense and... entirely consistent with the bands past material, which is splendid as far as I'm concerned!

It's a pretty consistent band, yes.

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Ulver - Kveldssanger
I'm making my way through the Ulver box set and I'm blown away. I was sent some sample mp3s of the remastered versions and they sounded terrible - really flat and lifeless. The vinyl sounds so much better. Just a wonderful, rich, warm sound. Extremely happy with this release.
Wait, BasqueStorm, why do you say that Arckanum feels like a gimmick?

Great!

I haven't listened to much Arckanum but it didn't click for me and I "feel" it's a quite gimmick band. But I don't know.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:51 pm 

Huh. I'm not sure where you get that feeling from. Arckanum's been around since the beginning, throwing out consistently good albums. No throwing pigs' blood, cutting on stage, or stupid costumes (well, beyond typically stupid black metal getup ;)). Arckanum is totally legit. You should give the band another shot! :thumbsup:

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:40 pm 

Svartrit - Dödens svarta nyckel

Swedish BM is just awesome, and this band is no exception. Perfect on these cold winter days!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1510, 1511, 1512, 1513, 1514, 1515, 1516 ... 2914  Next