Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:33 pm 

Inferno - Motörhead

This is probably not my favorite album by Motörhead and actually, I'm listening to "Whorehouse Blues" the latest track from Inferno.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:34 pm 

Musicianship was a horribly wrong term for what I meant. :lol: I guess it applies to some of the black metal I've heard and disliked, but I guess with the cool Burzum I was listening to earlier, the musicianship wasn't the strong point either. I don't know how to put it... the best way to put it would be if it sounds like Marduck I'll hate it!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:35 pm 

Just curious, have you given Bathory a fair shot?

Pattrick Abott- Problem (Metal remix)

Warning, furniture WILL be broken
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:37 pm 

Oh shit! I forgot about Bathory! I love the Hammerheart album, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't that viking metal and not exactly in the black metal category any more?

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:40 pm 

:lol: I've been listening to black metal for almost a decade now, and the classics never did it for me (with a few exceptions like Burzum, Bathory, Forgotten Woods, Strid, etc.) There's so much more to black metal than the second wave classics. If that's all I had ever listened to, I'd never have considered it my favorite genre like I have for all these years.

Goethes Erben - Himmelgrau

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:41 pm 

Makino wrote:
That's a lot of material to hand someone without pointing them to a particular album or, hell, even an era to start with. My favorite Drudkh albums are the earlier ones, namely Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora, and Blood in Our Wells. I think you'll find black metal is a very diverse genre with some surprises here and there! :)

It won't be too difficult for him to start off with this band. The scores on the albums are a fairly accurate indication of how good the albums are.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Cool! I'll take nature over anti-this and anti-that any day! :lol: :thumbsup:

My thing with black metal isn't the harshness or the constant, um, constant-ness but rather the lack of musicianship. I know the bare minimum about black metal but things like Mayhem, Darkthrone, and [insert your personal favorite here] are just so boring and annoying to me. I've been looking around for the more artistic side of the genre. The lyrical norms are also a bit off-putting to me but that's to be expected.

Like Makino said, start with Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora, or Blood In Our Wells and work your way up, I say. Other folks on here know Drudkh better than I do, but they would also say that you should start with their earlier, god-tier stuff. As for "artistic" black metal, try Ultima Thulee by Blut Aus Nord.

If I were you though, I wouldn't ignore Inquisition. A one of a kind black metal band.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:44 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Oh shit! I forgot about Bathory! I love the Hammerheart album, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't that viking metal and not exactly in the black metal category any more?

I don't take viking metal seriously as a sub-genre. Hammerheart is a Manowar album with Eric Adams replaced by a wasted Quorthon. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But no it's not black metal. Go find yourself the first 4 albums. I honestly can't picture you hating them, particularly if you like tasty guitar solos.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:46 pm 

Ah, Bathory. What a comforting and familiar name. :bow: :hail:

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:48 pm 

That's good to hear. I stopped reading reviews because I noticed my opinions subtly being swayed a bit at times. I'd rather my opinion of an album or band be my own opinion, since I'm not a professional music listener or anything! :-P

And yes, Inquisition is amazing. This is an unpopular opinion probably, but you can probably start with any album minus Obscure Verses, which I find to be the weakest and least Inquisition-like album they've done.

Goethes Erben & Peter Heppner - Glasgarten

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:51 pm 

Makino wrote:
:lol: I've been listening to black metal for almost a decade now, and the classics never did it for me (with a few exceptions like Burzum, Bathory, Forgotten Woods, Strid, etc.) There's so much more to black metal than the second wave classics. If that's all I had ever listened to, I'd never have considered it my favorite genre like I have for all these years.

Goethes Erben - Himmelgrau

You've been listening to black metal for about three times as long as I've even been into metal at all! :aww: Although, that probably applies to most people on here lol

I know who Inquisition is but haven't heard them yet.

Drudkh - Autumn Aurora

First impressions are pretty good. Beautiful little intro and I like the mix. I'm liking it a lot. Second song is starting as I type this. I hear rain. I like rain.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:54 pm 

Makino wrote:
That's good to hear. I stopped reading reviews because I noticed my opinions subtly being swayed a bit at times. I'd rather my opinion of an album or band be my own opinion, since I'm not a professional music listener or anything! :-P

Yeah, that's what I usually do as well. I still look at scores as a guideline, but I can still go into an album with a relatively unbiased opinion. :)

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:58 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Makino wrote:

Yeah, that's what I usually do as well. I still look at scores as a guideline, but I can still go into an album with a relatively unbiased opinion. :)

:beer: I've never looked back.

And SC2112, I'm not so sure about that. I'd imagine there are quite a few people here in their 30s and 40s who have upwards to a decade (or more!) over me. I was just lucky to discover (black) metal at an early age.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:03 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Cool! I'll take nature over anti-this and anti-that any day! :lol: :thumbsup:

My thing with black metal isn't the harshness or the constant, um, constant-ness but rather the lack of musicianship. I know the bare minimum about black metal but things like Mayhem, Darkthrone, and [insert your personal favorite here] are just so boring and annoying to me. I've been looking around for the more artistic side of the genre. The lyrical norms are also a bit off-putting to me but that's to be expected.

Darkthrone are actually excellent musicians that decided to go for a minimalist approach based on feel. Soulside Journey (a technical death metal album) is proof that they could all play.

Oceans of Slumber- Solitude (Candlemass cover)

This fucking owns!

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:15 am 

Songwriting ability always trumps musicianship anyway, at least in black metal. Though a bit of skill doesn't hurt of course!

Goethes Erben & Peter Heppner - Glasgarten (Traum Version)

This is even better than the original.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:21 am 

Again, musicianship was the wrong word. Sorry for that.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:23 am 

I think TrooperEd was just saying that as an FYI, since the context of your message made it seem very unlikely that you knew Darkthrone's more technical side. Anyway, how's Autumn Aurora treating you?

Flower Travellin' Band - Hiroshima

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:31 am 

I'm actually really enjoying it! "Glare of Autumn" is my favorite so far, absolutely awesome. This is the realm of black metal I'd like to swim around in for a while. I think I'm going to dig around the similar artists for these guys.

Those subtle synths in the background are really freaking cool too. Sunwheel is already also a fave

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:35 am 

Good to hear! Since you like Drudkh, I think your next stop should be Walknut (a band very high up in the similar artists list, actually). They're among the best for this brand of black metal in my opinion.

Drudkh - Fallen into Oblivion

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:10 am 

SC2112 - That was a quick 180 with black metal.

Innerwish - Through My Eyes

Good song from an album that has flown under the radar this year.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:18 am 

Yes it was. That's the problem with limiting oneself to the classics when exploring a genre. They only represent particular sounds. For the most part, you miss out on anything modern, eccentric, unconventional (for the now-established genre, that is), or anything that for whatever reason was not as well received by critics.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:24 am 

I don't know a lot about black metal, but I prefer the non-traditional styles the most (atmospheric/DSBM). Now I find myself getting into bands like Dark Funeral and Marduk. I apologize if those bands aren't traditional black metal.

Ancient Rites - Under the Sign of Laguz

I absolutely love this song.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:25 am 

Helion Prime - Ocean of Time, off Helion Prime

Cool female fronted heavy/power metal with strong science fiction tinges. Singer's a bit too poppy at times, kinda clashing with the sharp riffing, and the songwriting isn't always amazing, but it does have some scorchers here and there.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:36 am 

I'm not so fond of Drudkh. :tinfoil: They always came off as a poor soft Burzum imitator. Where dem broken arpeggios, bro? Where dat pulsating bass? If there's anything I agree with ANUS/DMU about, it's that Drudkh are basically a more accessible and watered down Burzum.

Tiamat - The Ar

I wish this album had slightly more complex distorted guitars but it's still manages to evoke a psychedelic melancholy really well.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:02 am 

1349 - Hellfire

It still warps and sears the mind.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:49 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Drudkh are basically a more accessible and watered down Burzum.

yikes!

NP: Weakling - Dead as Dreams

Every now and then I get an urge to put this on and every time I'm very rewarded

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:21 am 

Utumno - I Cross the Horizons

Yet another example of early Swedish death metal that's got everything I'd like out of the sound: barked vocals, rough riffs and a killer guitartone. :metal:

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:41 am 

Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest

Awesome NOLA sludge. I'm guessing their other albums aren't quite like this one?

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 am 

Devious - Predefined

quality dutch death metal

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:50 am 

Hiromi - Take Me Away

It's been a while(OK like 2 months perhaps) that I've listened to Hiromi. Now listening to her latest album, Spark. Not as much of a fan of it as I am of Place to be and Time Control but it's still a pretty good album, nonetheless. This woman simply can't make bad albums.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:07 am 

Thunderbolt (pol) such an intense bm band. So much energy and great song writeing! I really need to get the Infernal War stuff

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:31 am 

I've been listening to that new Insomnium album a ton, really surprising myself with how much I like it. There aren't even a whole lot of standout moments (though there are exceptions like that really fucking aggressive riff in the second part), it just has a great overall mood and feeling to it. Same reason I like any Insomnium album I suppose, I just figured the added combo of the gimmick and the failure of said gimmick would really taint it.

Anyway lets try something new:

Grond - Worship the Kraken
Eh, it's really generic death metal. Unique I guess in the sense that it's basically an amalgam of the entirety of Swedeath/Dutch DM despite the band being Russian, but otherwise it's nothing I haven't heard a million times. Still good though, don't get me wrong. Innovation is a bonus, not a requirement.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:46 am 

Makino wrote:
Obscure Verses, which I find to be the weakest and least Inquisition-like album they've done.

Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer begs to differ.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:02 am 

Obscure Verses was my first Inquisition album and I thought it was awesome. Tons of great, to the point songcraft on that one.

Jack White - Three Women

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:39 am 

Fates Warning - No Exit

That prog metal thread reminded me of this rather great album. Very good heavy/progressive metal.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:44 am 

theposega wrote:
Makino wrote:
Obscure Verses, which I find to be the weakest and least Inquisition-like album they've done.

Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer begs to differ.

Eh, if you had bolded the word "weakest" I might have agreed with you a little more, but I fail to see how Magnificent doesn't sound like Inquisition. It's fairly similar to both the debut and Nefarious, and it maintained the "hypnotizing/trance-like" sound of those albums, too. Can't say the same for Obscure Verses. I can enjoy Obscure Verses, but it by no means represents Inquisition better than, well, any other album they've done, including Bloodshed.

Inquisition - Crush the Jewish Prophet

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:27 pm 

I see your point on Obscure Verses not being as hypnotic, but it definitely sounds like Dagon wrote those riffs, which I can't say that about a considerable portion of Magnificent Glorification. Too much of that album is in their "Kill with Hate"/overly primitive vein. Not zwang-y enough for me.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:39 pm 

Oh, I can agree with you there. The riffs are fantastic and sound like Dagon for sure. After so many years of hearing hypnotic Inquisition though, Obscure Verses irked me a bit. In any case, Magnificent and Obscure Verses are definite outliers in the Inquisition discography, but they're still great albums.

Inquisition - Kill with Hate

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm 

Late to the Drudkh discussion, but for any new(er) listeners I recommend that after listening to FL/AA/BIOW you guys check out Microcosmos. It's almost like a mix between Autumn Aurora and Blood In Our Wells songwriting-wise, though with the "prog" element that was present on the latter album amped up a bit. Great album.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:14 pm 

Yes, I seem to remember Drudkh implementing a more post-rock sound on Microcosmos and the next couple of full-lengths. It's good material, but most people seem to prefer their initial sound. I wouldn't skip Estrangement by the way. I remember it getting slightly worse reviews than the other albums, but I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Drudkh - Estrangement

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:36 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
SC2112 - That was a quick 180 with black metal.

Innerwish - Through My Eyes

Good song from an album that has flown under the radar this year.

No kidding lol

Also, Innerwish is badass and their new album kicks ass.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Fates Warning - No Exit

That prog metal thread reminded me of this rather great album. Very good heavy/progressive metal.

Best FW by a fuckin' country mile IMO. It's the only album that I actually like from everything by three of those prog metal bands.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1820, 1821, 1822, 1823, 1824, 1825, 1826 ... 2914  Next