Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:08 am 

doc Regula69 wrote:
Same man. I usually get a bit bored with albums like Fas and all of this really technical modern bm stuff (not because it’s bad, I’m just not really into it as of now). Si Monumentum kind of has the best balance of trad and modern bm in their discography, to me, and it’s also important to point out that it influenced a lot.

I agree.

doc Regula69 wrote:
I don’t know Blut aus Nord at all actually, should check them out. Why tho?

You should. It's a monster of a band!

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Love at first listen. It reminds me of Nemesis Divina because of the epicness of the songs and the polished production, even though this one has a lot of symphonic elements.

It's WAY better than (1996) Satyricon - Nemesis Divina.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
^
I used to really worship that album, i don't really get why i'm so cold towards it now.. I must give it a spin!
Also i share the love for Deathspell, Peste Noire and Blut. French metal c'est la guerre! ..Well, sometimes! :)

I like french scene too.

MikeyC wrote:
The Blackening is surprisingly good for Machine Head. I didn't expect to enjoy it but there you go. I would call it a fluke rather than a return to form, as the follow-up's were disappointing again.

I can't stand the band. ALL their songs sound the same to me now.

Paw wrote:
Taake - Nattestid ser porten Vid IV
Damn, so grim.

Never could get into them.

Diamhea wrote:
And Machine Head's debut, while supremely unbalanced, has at least one or two high points that are better than anything Pantera ever did.

No way. First two MH albums are nice to me and so is Pantera.

Paganbasque wrote:
Yeah, Akhenaten is great!!
Elffor-Hondamena
Why are Elffor´s bonustracks so fucking good?????

They're!

stefan86 wrote:
Deftones - Passenger
makes me wanna have 18 jäger shots and push over my desk

Why?!?

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
This is pretty good, uber-raw black metal. A bit too trebly for my liking but it could be worse!

Much worse!

Paganbasque wrote:
Elffor-Zhenon basotik haratago
What a beast of a song, Elffor´s bonus tracks are sometimes even betten than the album songs.

We know, we know... :-P

stefan86 wrote:
Deftones - Combat
cant wait for "Gore"

Probably, my favourite Deftones song. Combat + Kimdracula = Perfect.

Tadd's Delight from (1957) Miles Davis - 'Round About Midnight (Legacy Edition).
Don't ask. Testing the new player at work.
It's funny because I like jazz but those "supposed to be great" albums do not much for me. :scratch:

Last edited by BasqueStorm on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
doc Regula69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:48 am 

Miles Davis is a god dude. Especially electric Miles, that’s some of my favourite shit ever.

Miles Davis - MOJA
Dark Magus (1977)
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:50 am 

Damn, world record in most quotes in one NP post :beer:

Many Deftones songs make wanna have 18 jägers and push over my desk, it's just the overall ADHD-ish energy in their music that makes me flip. They're so perfect for weight lifting :D

NP: Rishloo - Just a Ride

so glad they made another album

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 am 

The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray

Every band needs an 18 minute song about an orgy.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 am 

Anna von Hausswolff - An Oath

this album just gets better every spin

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:40 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
It's WAY better than (1996) Satyricon - Nemesis Divina.

It's good, but it doesn't come close to Nemesis Divina. :nono:

Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Apparently, this is a really influential album, so I'm giving it a go. Right away, I can say that I cannot tolerate the Cookie Monster vocals, but I'm liking the intensity and precise instrumentation.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:41 am 

Blood Red Throne - Exoneration Manifesto

galopp riff overload

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 am 

doc Regula69 wrote:
Miles Davis is a god dude. Especially electric Miles, that’s some of my favourite shit ever.

I'll check your rec, thanks!

stefan86 wrote:
Damn, world record in most quotes in one NP post :beer:
Many Deftones songs make wanna have 18 jägers and push over my desk, it's just the overall ADHD-ish energy in their music that makes me flip. They're so perfect for weight lifting :D

Deftones is perfect for driving. Old albums on summer days and new ones by night.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
It's good, but it doesn't come close to Nemesis Divina. :nono:
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Apparently, this is a really influential album, so I'm giving it a go. Right away, I can say that I cannot tolerate the Cookie Monster vocals, but I'm liking the intensity and precise instrumentation.

:nono:
P.S: :nono: (Also for the (1996) Cryptopsy - None So Vile comment).

stefan86 wrote:
Blood Red Throne - Exoneration Manifesto
galopp riff overload

We saw them some years ago at Hellfest and they were nice but I haven't bothered with their albums since them.

Lead Squid from (2009) The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - Here Be Dragons.
Uau! Sounds good!

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:05 pm 

Nargaroth - Sommer & Frühling

even kids love this songs!!

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:51 pm 

Decapitated - Winds Of Creation

Great death metal. Very similar to Vader's sound, and it reminds me of Litany, but that one is a lot angrier.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:55 pm 

@Basque - Anthems sucks ass. It is a hideous caricature of the sound established on their first album. Zero atmosphere, weak riffs, awful keyboards, unmemorable songwriting and godawful production. Nemesis Divina is 5 orders of magnitude above that turd.

NP: Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Magnificent.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:37 pm 

I haven't read your review because I know I will disagree with pretty much everything (plus, it's fucking long) :lol:. But, yes, Nemesis Divina smashes Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk. It's a flawless album if you ask me.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:46 pm 

NP: Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires blah blah blah

Meh.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I haven't read your review because I know I will disagree with pretty much everything (plus, it's fucking long) :lol:.

Hey man, the warning is on my profile. I liken my reviews to a long, thick flow of hateful sludge.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:57 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:

Meh.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I haven't read your review because I know I will disagree with pretty much everything (plus, it's fucking long) :lol:.

Hey man, the warning is on my profile. I liken my reviews to a long, thick flow of hateful sludge.

Basically just shit on something as much as you can. Fair enough. :)

Deftones - White Pony

God, I love this band. They're so easy to get into and appreciate.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:08 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Basically just shit on something as much as you can. Fair enough. :)

The whole reason I started was to tear apart Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler. I aspire for every last negative review of mine to be a monument to hate, each one building upon those rotten foundations that define my existence here. Whether I succeed or not is down to the reader.

NP: DSO - 'Sola Fide I'

I like the melodic bits, the rest is kind of 'eh'.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:24 pm 

Astral Silence - Astral Journey :np:

Great spatial stuff. Thanks to raspberrysoda for the rec.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:08 pm 

Whenever I post in this thread, I post the song instead of the album, which must be the source of confusion for the Ningen Isu discussion. I promise you it's a track on the new album. Copying and pasting is lame because I like knowing how to pronounce things I enjoy.

Also MoT is whack, None SO Vile is a fucking masterpiece and Lord Worm is a huge reason why. I want Phobophile to be played at my wedding.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:13 pm 

^I bet you can't pronounce "Ookami no Tasogare" correctly. :P
None So Vile does indeed rule. Don't lump Lord Worm in with generic "cookie monster" vocalists. He's so much better and more dynamic.

NP: Novela - Unbelieving Words

I never realized how good prog rock was with high pitched wailing until I heard this band.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:16 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Cryptopsy - None So Vile

You know what, I actually kind of agree with you. Lord Worm isn't bad, really, but he's not the best vocalist out there. The music, though, is quite nice.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Decapitated - Winds Of Creation

Great death metal. Very similar to Vader's sound, and it reminds me of Litany, but that one is a lot angrier.

You can definitely tell the two bands apart, but I can understand the comparison. Vader always felt more forceful than Decapitated did, but both bands are pretty great. I got a photo with the Decapitated guys last year so I was pretty stoked with that. :)

Napalm_Satan wrote:
The whole reason I started was to tear apart Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler. I aspire for every last negative review of mine to be a monument to hate, each one building upon those rotten foundations that define my existence here. Whether I succeed or not is down to the reader.

Any negative review of Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler is a good one in my books. :thumbsup: :lol:

Lich Coldheart wrote:
Astral Silence - Astral Journey :np:

Great spatial stuff. Thanks to raspberrysoda for the rec.

Nice! I haven't heard this one in a long while now but I should find my CD and bust it out again. I do remember really enjoying this one.

One Step Beyond - The Music of Chance

Strange, off-the-wall death metal that doesn't mind delving into rock or jazzier sections for literally no reason. It actually all works really well so this album remains interesting from start to finish.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:20 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I want Phobophile to be played at my wedding.

Best wedding ever

NP: Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
Huh, decidedly more punky than I was expecting. Not quite as fuzzy as Born Too Late either. Still, really awesome - a sort of exceptionally heavy and punkish form of Black Sabbath worship.

MikeyC wrote:
Napalm_Satan wrote:

Any negative review of Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler is a good one in my books. :thumbsup: :lol:

The review was rejected by Diamhea for being a 'cookie cutter instrumental checklist'. He was completely right, and this swift rejection led me to get off my ass and get busy at working on a new style. But yeah, that album still isn't trashed enough, it needs an average rating of 0%.

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:50 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Whenever I post in this thread, I post the song instead of the album, which must be the source of confusion for the Ningen Isu discussion. I promise you it's a track on the new album.

I've just noticed that Perdition666's post was also referring to the album title, so I had completely misunderstood him :lol:

Right now I'm giving a spin to that new album as well, and yeah, it's awesome. Ningen-Isu have quite possibly the most consistently excellent studio discography I've ever heard.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 pm 

Labyrinth - Thunder

The back to back combination of Heaven Denied and Thunder is one of the greatest things in all of power metal. It took me a long time to appreciate this album, but these two songs make me worship it!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:10 pm 

Rise Of The Northstar "Welcame"

For dumb toughguy hardcore, this album can be surprisingly varied at times. It's actually pretty good so far; these guys are really catchy and can pull some nice thrash riffs here and there.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:00 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Also MoT is whack, None SO Vile is a fucking masterpiece and Lord Worm is a huge reason why. I want Phobophile to be played at my wedding.

Man, why do you have to insult me for no reason? If you took the time to read my post properly, I clearly mentioned that I enjoyed how punishing the music is, and how the precision of the musicians is top notch. And I agree, "Phobophile" is crazy good. The piano intro is just so cool, I wasn't expecting anything like it. But, I just can't stand the vocalist.

Mikey, Decapitated and Vader aren't exactly similar, but they're not all that dissimilar. Both bands play a little differently, but you can tell that Decapitated were indeed influenced by Vader in some way. After all, they're both from Poland.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 am 

Master's Hammer - Ritual

Start journey to experimental bm.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:41 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
I haven't read your review because I know I will disagree with pretty much everything (plus, it's fucking long) :lol:. But, yes, Nemesis Divina smashes Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk. It's a flawless album if you ask me.

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Anthems is the FUCKING album, it destroys Nemesis in every fucking aspect. And if you ask me, The Shadowthrone is Satyricon´s best album, by far.

Wodensthrone- Leódum on Lande

Ahh the atmosphere of this song and album...

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:58 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
We saw them some years ago at Hellfest and they were nice but I haven't bothered with their albums since them.

Go for "Altered Genesis", it's their classic. Packed with thrashy gallop riffs that will get suck in your head and never get out :D And their live show is indeed awesome, saw them at Brutal Assault last year and they will play with The Crown in Stockholm in a couple of months <3

NP: Meshuggah - Rational Gaze

nice mind twister along with the morning coffee :D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:25 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
@Basque - Anthems sucks ass. It is a hideous caricature of the sound established on their first album. Zero atmosphere, weak riffs, awful keyboards, unmemorable songwriting and godawful production. Nemesis Divina is 5 orders of magnitude above that turd.
NP: Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Magnificent.

P.S: And :nono: to (1995) Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Meh.

P.S: Warning! You're getting too much :nono: s! :-P

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Deftones - White Pony
God, I love this band. They're so easy to get into and appreciate.

They're GREAT and the Nu Metal tag for them can suck my balls.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
NP: DSO - 'Sola Fide I'
I like the melodic bits, the rest is kind of 'eh'.

P.S: Another one! :roll:

BastardHead wrote:

It's!

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
But, I just can't stand the vocalist.

Do you like ANYTHING similar?

Paganbasque wrote:
Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Anthems is the FUCKING album, it destroys Nemesis in every fucking aspect. And if you ask me, The Shadowthrone is Satyricon´s best album, by far.

Basque power! :beer:
P.S: I do agree about Satyricon's best. (1994) Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times or (1994) Satyricon - The Shadowthrone for me.

stefan86 wrote:
Go for "Altered Genesis", it's their classic. Packed with thrashy gallop riffs that will get suck in your head and never get out :D And their live show is indeed awesome, saw them at Brutal Assault last year and they will play with The Crown in Stockholm in a couple of months <3

I don't know. I mean, they're great live but I no longer listen to this kind of music.

I from (1995) Bohren & der Club of Gore - Midnight Radio.
Man, I NEED some hyper dark shit.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:33 am 

Emperor - Anthems..

Finally i have re-listened this cornerstone of my metal infancy! ..But i have mixed feelings about it.

It's good overall: there are tracks that really slay and show a level of skill and use of melody really uncommon at the day, like the mentioned before "Ensorcelled by Khaos", "Thus Spake the nightspirit" (that neoclassical guitar lick!) and the ending combo "With strenght i burn" and "The wanderer".. but i can't say so for the other songs: you can hear that they are carefully written, but i only remember few parts of them even after repeated listens..

Also that Cryptopsy slays: not only Phobophile starts with one of the most classy tremolos of all death metal (only Override The Overture compares!) but all the songs are really memorable and have just the right amount of riffs to keep you hooked from the beginning to the end: this coupled with that muddy tone, ace bass playing and time-warping drums makes that album a classic..

I would not be the biggest fan of Lord Worm's vocals on another band, but here he is just perfect: the vocal performance sounds really deranged and all over the place, blending in a great way with the riffs and becoming like another instrument!
..and yes, his lyrics deserve all the praise they get!

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:34 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I don't know. I mean, they're great live but I no longer listen to this kind of music.

My death metal tastes halted in the way that I very rarely explore any new music, but I still love the shit of my favorites like Blood Red Throne, Immolation etc. Unsure if it is about becoming less interested in extreme metal, or if the current scene with mostly trend bands (sounding either like forced 1982 rehearsals or soulless tech wank) that don't care about writing good songs. Probably a combo :)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:39 am 

stefan86 wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

My death metal tastes halted in the way that I very rarely explore any new music, but I still love the shit of my favorites like Blood Red Throne, Immolation etc. Unsure if it is about becoming less interested in extreme metal, or if the current scene with mostly trend bands (sounding either like forced 1982 rehearsals or soulless tech wank) that don't care about writing good songs. Probably a combo :)

You need more stuff like Sulphur Aeon, Obliteration, Emptiness and Bolzer in your life! :) bands like those really restore my faith that non-throwback Death metal has a bright future! Check out a song like "In the courts of Azathoth" and be impressed! ;)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:00 am 

Suphur Aeon is great!!!

You are fucking right my Italian mate, "In the courts of Azathoth" is awesome!!

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:35 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
You need more stuff like Sulphur Aeon, Obliteration, Emptiness and Bolzer in your life! :) bands like those really restore my faith that non-throwback Death metal has a bright future! Check out a song like "In the courts of Azathoth" and be impressed! ;)

Sulphur Aeon is pretty good, I like the way they combine old and new school. Obliteration doesn't really work, feels like they got a lot of attention for very by the books music. The other two I will check, thanks :)

NP: Akercocke - Eyes of The Dawn

demented as fuck

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:51 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Suphur Aeon is great!!!

You are fucking right my Italian mate, "In the courts of Azathoth" is awesome!!

ahahah! I remember listening that album the first time: i was already really happy of my blind buy, then that song kicked in and i was floored!

By the way Stefan86: if you want check out that two bands i highly suggest their records Oblivion (a great mix of creative evil riffs and epic ominous melodies, not unlike Sulphur Aeon, but different) and the Aura ep (..i was throwing my money at them after hearing the first riff of "Entranced by the Wolfshook"! :) ... and i still don't know what a Wolfshook is! :( )

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:53 am 

Thanks! I'll download them, starving for new music. Wolfshook sounds like a case of "let's put cool words together and create necro factor". My bass player has a project called Wolfcross :D

NP: Akercocke - The Penance

even more demented

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:20 am 

stefan86 wrote:
Thanks! I'll download them, starving for new music. Wolfshook sounds like a case of "let's put cool words together and create necro factor". My bass player has a project called Wolfcross :D

NP: Akercocke - The Penance

even more demented

that's actually a really cool band name! could fit for both a Destroyer 666 Black/Thrash band and for a forgotten NWOBHM tape! :-D

..and poor Akercocke! they are exactly what i search in metal music, but even after countless listens to their whole discography i could get only into "The Goat of Mendes"! :( (not literally: personally i'm more into girls!)

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:11 am 

Pantheist - Don't Mourn

Ah nostalgia. When I found it on YouTube, the slowest most crushing music I had heard at that point was Black Sabbath or Theatre of Tragedy's first two albums. Probably the most 'listener friendly' funeral doom I've heard.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:36 am 

Arrayan Path - The Distorted Looking Glass

Finally bought their new one. Kind of sounds like they're going in a modern Symphony X direction, but with their own weird Greek twist to everything. Very unorthodox and weird. Creepy melodies and some very forlorn ones, and chugging, slamming riffing.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:55 am 

I've been listening Wolf discography - the albums I own - from back to front for the past couple of nights. First The Black Flame, then Evil Star, and last night Black Wings. They are full of nice fast songs, no ballads at all here. Certain British band really sounds through. There is something that doesn't grab me in the vocal delivery. Singer has a quite thin voice. Works in the Mercyful Fate cover though.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:38 am 

Exmortus - Ride Forth

"For The Horde" was getting a lot of airtime on satellite radio, so I decided to give the album a listen. At times, the vocalist sounds alarmingly similar to Jeff Walker from Carcass.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1635, 1636, 1637, 1638, 1639, 1640, 1641 ... 2925  Next