Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:46 am 

IxI_KILLING wrote:
I actually had to listen to the record a couple of times before he made me feel that way. It's sort of like I had to turn my head sideways to look at the record from a different angle. Nonetheless, I enjoy the hell out of that record. Hopefully it'll hit you, as it did me.

Let's see!

I Whisper in the Ear of the Dead from (2002) Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines.
That's how I like my Nile!

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:54 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Let's see!

I Whisper in the Ear of the Dead from (2002) Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines.
That's how I like my Nile!

Completely understandable, respectable and agreed. Although I do like the new record, That record alone is amongst my favorites of all-time.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:07 am 

Battle Beast - Die Hard Warrior

Now this is the way to wake yourself up in the morning! This horde know their heavy metal.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:15 am 

Avenger - Feast of Anger / Joy of Despair

One of my favorite black metal albums of all time. The second part of the album title should have been left out. Only anger and hatred to be found here.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:01 am 

Purtenance - member of immortal damnation

Not sure how I haven't heard this before. So far very solid classic death metal with that fucking vicious guitar tone. Drumming is a little weird at times for some reason but this is a great way to start my day.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:21 pm 

Sigh - Graveward

Haven't listened to a Sigh record in a very long time but so far, this is what I needed to get back into them. What does everyone else think of this record? Or just the band in general?

Currently Reading: Eragon | Currently Playing: Elden Ring

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:48 pm 

IxI_KILLING wrote:
Sigh - Graveward

Haven't listened to a Sigh record in a very long time but so far, this is what I needed to get back into them. What does everyone else think of this record? Or just the band in general?

It's an excellent album. I'm not sure but I may prefer it to In Somniphobia, though that was excellent too if a little overwrought at times. Imaginary Sonicscape and Scenes From Hell remain my favourite albums by Sigh though. Just brilliantly unique and both very representative of the pinnacles of the era they belong to.

Anopheli - Acts of Man

Now this is some seriously emotional crust punk. Alex from the legendary Fall of Efrafa, and the slightly underwhelming Light Bearer, returns with a load of other hardcore and crust alumni in full form. Also, I never realised before how much crust needs a cello to let it ascend even higher.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:56 pm 

IxI_KILLING wrote:

It's an awesome album (minus the production), and I like Sigh a lot in general. Really good guitar solos on that one too. I still haven't heard some of their pre-Imaginary Sonicscape material though.

the_bard_of_osyrhia wrote:
Imaginary Sonicscape and Scenes From Hell remain my favourite albums by Sigh though.

Everyone loves IS and I do enjoy it, but it's not my favorite Sigh album at all. Actually, Scenes From Hell is my favorite from them, but I feel like it's rather underrated.

人間椅子 - 埋葬蟲の唄

This basically rocks the fuck out, and the middle section is amazingly good.

Last edited by Dudemanguy on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:02 pm 

IxI_KILLING wrote:
Sigh - Graveward

It's an excellent album. I'm not sure but I may prefer it to In Somniphobia, though that was excellent too if a little overwrought at times. Imaginary Sonicscape and Scenes From Hell remain my favourite albums by Sigh though. Just brilliantly unique and both very representative of the pinnacles of the era they belong to.

I might have to fanboy over "Gravward". It's nearly perfect, IMO. From the production to the variations the band goes through with the sax and mixing so many genres together. It's a roller-coaster and I'm really digging it. I actually think the last Sigh record I listened to was "Hail Horror Hail" but that was nearly 8 or 9 years ago. Should I give "Imaginary Sonicscape" and "Scenes From Hell" a shot?

dudemanguy wrote:
It's an awesome album (minus the production), and I like Sigh a lot in general. Really good guitar solos on that one too. I still haven't heard some of their pre-Imaginary Sonicscape material though.

人間椅子 - 埋葬蟲の唄

This basically rocks the fuck out, and the middle section is amazingly good.

I see no problem with the production but that's just me. I also use Astro a40's as a headset for my music.

NP: Sigh - Graveward (STILL!!!)

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:05 pm 

IxI_KILLING wrote:

I might have to fanboy over "Gravward". It's nearly perfect, IMO. From the production to the variations the band goes through with the sax and mixing so many genres together. It's a roller-coaster and I'm really digging it. I actually think the last Sigh record I listened to was "Hail Horror Hail" but that was nearly 8 or 9 years ago. Should I give "Imaginary Sonicscape" and "Scenes From Hell" a shot?

You certainly should! Especially since you specifically picked out that Sigh blend so many genres together expertly on Graveward. I feel it's done better on those two. In Somniphobia as well which is easily their most wild and genre-mashing album.
You've got a lot of excellent material to listen through if the last you heard was Hail Horror Hail!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:10 pm 

IxI_KILLING wrote:
I see no problem with the production but that's just me. I also use Astro a40's as a headset for my music.

NP: Sigh - Graveward (STILL!!!)

I get what they were going for with the production on Graveward, but I probably still would have liked an In Somniphobia-esque production style better. It's not a big deal to me though. Just as a side note, using something marketed as a gaming headset for listening to music does urk me a little bit...

NP: 人間椅子 - 憧れのアリラン
Still rocking over here. Some folkish vocal delivery on this one too.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:07 pm 

You certainly should! Especially since you specifically picked out that Sigh blend so many genres together expertly on Graveward. I feel it's done better on those two. In Somniphobia as well which is easily their most wild and genre-mashing album.
You've got a lot of excellent material to listen through if the last you heard was Hail Horror Hail!

Checking out "Imaginary Sonicscape" right now. I'll keep you updated, for sure.

Dudemanguy wrote:
I get what they were going for with the production on Graveward, but I probably still would have liked an In Somniphobia-esque production style better. It's not a big deal to me though. Just as a side note, using something marketed as a gaming headset for listening to music does urk me a little bit...

Why the "urk", out of curiosity? For me, it really does give me that surround sound/live feeling. What would you recommend/do you use?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:57 am 

Karnarium - Per Me Reges Regnant

Karnarium are a relatively obscure Swedeath band. This is a 12 minute epic song from their 2012 album 'Otapamo Pralaja'. It's shame that they've split up.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:24 am 

Lychgate - Deus te Videt

This album continues to grow on and confound me in equal measures. Elements that I felt didn't work at all at first are definitely starting to fit into place but it's still a very challenging listen and there are sections that continue to bother me. Definitely worth a go for anyone into very evocative avant-garde works though. It's grounded in avant-garde metal a la Arcturus & Dødheimsgard but seems to have more in common with bizarro acts like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum when it domes down to it.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:26 am 

IxI_KILLING wrote:
Why the "urk", out of curiosity? For me, it really does give me that surround sound/live feeling. What would you recommend/do you use?

Alright so this post might come off as didactic and sort of rude, but I just want to give my thoughts on the subject in a reasonably complete manner.

To start off, headsets are almost always just an expensive mark-up of a subpar mic + subpar headphones. In general, the preferred method is to buy a pair of headphones and a mic separately. Of course, I have not personally listened to the a40s (can't find any measurements either), but they definitely look like something to stay away from if you are looking for a pair of headphones for music. What you want depends a lot on your own tonal preferences, personal needs and budget, but what you presumably spent on the a40s can go a very long way in the headphone world. Keep in mind that there is no "best headphones," but there are definitely headphones that are junk in terms of sound. The idea is to filter out the junk, and pick a pair from the ones that remain based on your own preferences. Since you cited a "surround sound/live" feeling, it sounds like to me you'd want a pair of open headphones (mind you, these leak A LOT of sound into the surroundings). My personal pair of headphones are the AKG 553 which have a pretty high MSRP, but I got them on sale on amazon for ~125 USD which is pretty much a steal. These are pretty massive, may fit poorly on some people's heads dude to the weak clamp (they fit fine on me after bending the headband a bit though) and overall a bit bright sounding but they're fairly neutral. However, I don't use headphones for home listening and purely for whenever I'm on the go which is why I got closed ones, so my use case might not fit yours.

Before I link this, I'm going to have to throw some disclaimers. Firstly, this is head-fi which is known for having quite a bit of let's just call it "audiophile delusion," so take almost everything you read their with a grain of salt at best (esp. anything with a lot of vague buzzwords). Secondly, more expensive headphones aren't necessarily better. The list has them split up into tiers based on price which sort of implies that the ones in higher tiers are automatically better; that's not true. I just linked it because it's a pretty extensive list of headphones, and the brief descriptions give you an idea of what they might sound like. I always say to look up measurements though. http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide#

Edit: Oh here's a pretty good list of measurements. http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone- ... -downloads

NP: Akphaezya - Nemesis
Really awesome prog/avant-garde. Nehl shows off her crazy vocal versatility pretty well in this one.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:42 pm 

^^Bookmarked that link. I probably should get new headphones one of these days.

NP: Mysterious Priestess "夢国ノ義士"

Pretty happy with this one. A lot proggier than their debut. Makes me wonder if these guys like Gonin-Ish at all.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:43 pm 

Liege Lord - Master Motherfuckin' Control.
It's that motherfuckin' good.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:53 pm 

Egality - Erasing Ethereal Enchantments (Euphoric Disdain)

One of Pennsylvania's current best-kept secrets IMO. I've been spinning this pretty often since I got it last year and it keeps getting better. Sort of atmospheric sludge (but not like ISIS or Neurosis) with some really off-kilter riffs and seriously crushing breakdowns.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:30 pm 

Beastie Boys - Looking Down The Barrel Of a Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I39NykopgK0

metal as fuck

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Alright so this post might come off as didactic and sort of rude, but I just want to give my thoughts on the subject in a reasonably complete manner.

To start off, headsets are almost always just an expensive mark-up of a subpar mic + subpar headphones. In general, the preferred method is to buy a pair of headphones and a mic separately. Of course, I have not personally listened to the a40s (can't find any measurements either), but they definitely look like something to stay away from if you are looking for a pair of headphones for music. What you want depends a lot on your own tonal preferences, personal needs and budget, but what you presumably spent on the a40s can go a very long way in the headphone world. Keep in mind that there is no "best headphones," but there are definitely headphones that are junk in terms of sound. The idea is to filter out the junk, and pick a pair from the ones that remain based on your own preferences. Since you cited a "surround sound/live" feeling, it sounds like to me you'd want a pair of open headphones (mind you, these leak A LOT of sound into the surroundings). My personal pair of headphones are the AKG 553 which have a pretty high MSRP, but I got them on sale on amazon for ~125 USD which is pretty much a steal. These are pretty massive, may fit poorly on some people's heads dude to the weak clamp (they fit fine on me after bending the headband a bit though) and overall a bit bright sounding but they're fairly neutral. However, I don't use headphones for home listening and purely for whenever I'm on the go which is why I got closed ones, so my use case might not fit yours.

Before I link this, I'm going to have to throw some disclaimers. Firstly, this is head-fi which is known for having quite a bit of let's just call it "audiophile delusion," so take almost everything you read their with a grain of salt at best (esp. anything with a lot of vague buzzwords). Secondly, more expensive headphones aren't necessarily better. The list has them split up into tiers based on price which sort of implies that the ones in higher tiers are automatically better; that's not true. I just linked it because it's a pretty extensive list of headphones, and the brief descriptions give you an idea of what they might sound like. I always say to look up measurements though. http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide#

Edit: Oh here's a pretty good list of measurements. http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone- ... -downloads

NP: Akphaezya - Nemesis
Really awesome prog/avant-garde. Nehl shows off her crazy vocal versatility pretty well in this one.

Completely understandable. I use them for gaming but I actually love them for listening to music....at least most kinds of music. I'll check the links tonight before I crash out. Thanks.

Now Playing: Waft - Chronolift
Still on the edge of a decision with this record but after a few more listens, I should have a solid opinion on it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 am 

Underoath - The Last

Even years later I'm still sort of amazed this even exists, and not in the "Holy crap, why was this even made?" way. It's genuinely good stuff that's 100% different from everything they did afterwards, and it's pretty crazy to think that the band that would become the patron saint for Warped Tour kiddies everywhere started off making this ultra mid-90s influenced black metal/metalcore hybrid.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:41 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Metallica - Death Magnetic

Amidst all the deserved criticism these guys have faced, people rarely acknowledge James' improvement in the vocals department. Oh, and I still like this album

I sincerely think that the first half of this album is pretty good. The second one is not so bad but its clearly weaker.

Soilwork-Light the torch (Figure Number Five)

Great song, some years without listening to this album, which was actually my favourite.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:35 am 

He sounds pretty decent on Death Magnetic, but nowhere near his glory days, or even the 1990s.

Project Arcadia - Beggars at the Door

A genuinely beautiful song. One of urban breed's best tracks.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:57 am 

Paradox "Tales of the Weird"

Looking forward to their upcoming album - thought it was gonna come out late this year, but early next year is probably a more realistic target.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:37 pm 

Satan - Blades of Steel

Court in the Act Has some of finest riff-heavy tunes I've heard in a while. Really good stuff.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:23 pm 

Drudkh - Where Horizons End

just shameless Drudkh'ing from beginning to end
I love the riff (not the solo) at 3:00

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:35 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:

Soilwork-Light the torch (Figure Number Five)

Great song, some years without listening to this album, which was actually my favourite.

I listened to a song off their new album, it sounded very aggressive for a Soilwork song

Empyreal wrote:
He sounds pretty decent on Death Magnetic, but nowhere near his glory days, or even the 1990s.

Project Arcadia - Beggars at the Door

A genuinely beautiful song. One of urban breed's best tracks.

I know I'm in the minority but I've never thought of James as a very good vocalist. But on Death Magnetic he'd become a much better "singer" than he was when they were at their peak.
Naturally, his yelling has gotten weaker with age but he now has better vocal control while singing.

NP : Undergang - Døden Læger Alle Sår

Really enjoying this album, but I wish the guitars had a bit more buzz to them

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:48 pm 

Possibly, it's been a while since I heard it and I'm not a professional singer. I do like his vocals no matter what, but I just think any new Metallica stuff like Death Magnetic or that Lords of Summer song sounds half-assed and disappointing. They seem like they could be doing much better on every front overall.

In the car: Icarus Witch - Out for Blood

One of my old favorite modern heavy metal albums. Old school Savatage-esque riffs and a high, nasal whine on the vocals - so great, shame the singer left.

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:01 pm 

Sadus - Swallowed In Black

Second album by CA thrashers. The energy is definitely there, but for some reason, I'm not feeling it like Illusions. I almost wish they'd gone in a more technical direction, because they've obviously got the chops.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:57 pm 

Memento Mori "Life, Death And Other Morbid Tales"

Haven't played this in ages. Always had a soft spot for the first song on this album (it was on some compilation I had back in the day). Making a point of going through my older CDs... have a ton which haven't been played in 3-5+ years.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:46 am 

Katatonia - Palace of Frost

Probably my favorite demo from a band. Maybe. I feel like I'm forgetting something. Anyway, this demo and the following album are just something magical.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:
Its great to see them back!!!

It's FOR SURE!

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2551619#p2551619

BasqueStorm wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

Tickets on presale!

P.D: Paganbasque...

Jentil Odola from (2010) Aiumeen Basoa - Iraganeko Bide Malkartsutik.
Epic as FUCK!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:57 am 

Beer Baron wrote:

I listened to a song off their new album, it sounded very aggressive for a Soilwork song

After a couple of weaker albums(where I lost interest) the last one was quite impressive with heavier stuff and this one seems to be a logic continuation. Its great to see them in such a good shape.

Hate Eternal-Infernus

Great song and quite good album.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:59 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
It's FOR SURE!

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2551619#p2551619

BasqueStorm wrote:

Thanks! I was aware of this. I will purchase the ticktets soon!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:06 am 

The Crescent - Vesper

Back to this again (while waiting new Maiden in the mail). After multiple listens, I still don't know if I really like Risti or not. It's certainly a mystical album, but at the same time very elusive. The Finnish lyrics are well written and quite inspirational to me, even. Not that average "Kill the Christians" -shit. They have red their bible.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 am 

After a couple of months off from it I'm returning to what really has to be my favourite album of the year.

Macabre Omen - God of War

The sheer sense of the grandeur of antiquity is summoned so expertly through the power of these riffs. This came pretty much out of nowhere near the beginning of the year and led to me fully exploring the Hellenic black metal scene and reaping so many rewards from it.
Just... What a fucking album. I've got to get round to exploring some of their earlier works though I hear they aren't as impressive.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Thanks! I was aware of this. I will purchase the ticktets soon!

I got some of ours this morning!

Enslaved from (1995) Satyricon + Enslaved - The Forest Is My Throne + Yggdrasill.
I don't use to listen to this but it's interesting!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm 

Dark Forest - Wind and Waves

I randomly started to hum one of the melodies of this band in the shower, so i had to put this on.
Really like this band, and especially the first album!

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:44 pm 

Grotesque - In the Embrace of Evil (compilation)

Great collection of tracks from Swedish early death metal band. Check it out if you love old school death metal, especially on the thrashier end. I also love the guitarists' later band Liers In Wait, but haven't investigated the singer's later (and much more famous band)... At the Gates. Haha, I do everything backwards.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:49 pm 

After a couple of months off from it I'm returning to what really has to be my favourite album of the year.

Macabre Omen - God of War

The sheer sense of the grandeur of antiquity is summoned so expertly through the power of these riffs. This came pretty much out of nowhere near the beginning of the year and led to me fully exploring the Hellenic black metal scene and reaping so many rewards from it.
Just... What a fucking album. I've got to get round to exploring some of their earlier works though I hear they aren't as impressive.

Listening to this now(for the first time) and so far I'd have to agree this is one hell of an album. The right mix of amazing black metal and folkier influences.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1572, 1573, 1574, 1575, 1576, 1577, 1578 ... 2914  Next