Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 pm 

Anthem - Wild Anthem

Some dude posted a video of them playing this live in the studio and I can't stop watching it! I've never heard anything from this band but this song and performance is totally killer. I have some serious listening to do.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:33 pm 

X Japan - Art of Life

Hey, nice stuff. I don't get this discordant piano bit about 18 minutes in but hey, it sounds amusing.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:55 pm 

In response to the accusation of liking Considered Dead for some ulterior motive other than the music I now listen to

Gorguts - Obscura

This is my second time listening in a row and I still find it as boring and annoying as I did the first time.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:07 pm 

Considered Dead is a great album. It may not be as good as The Erosion Of Sanity, but it's still an enjoyable piece of old school death metal.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:12 pm 

Yes and I don't understand why saying it is better than Obscura automatically means you're trying to be some cool guy who only listens to music just because it isn't as critically acclaimed or as popular as the in my opinion, far inferior other album

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:17 pm 

It's happened to all of us, bro. :) I, for one, think that Gorguts' pre-Obscura albums are better than what came after it (excluding Coloured Sands, because I've never listened to it). As far as I'm concerned, Gorguts has two kinds of fans; fans of their straight up death metal, and fans of their technical death metal. I am of the former category.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 pm 

Yeah, I've only listened to Considered Dead and Obscura and I prefer Considered Dead by a substantial margin

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 pm 

I like both styles, personally.

Dark Funeral - The Secrets of the Black Arts

Guess I don't totally hate this band after all....

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:11 pm 

Forget all this Gorguts talk.

Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious

It's been awhile since i listened to this album or band and all I have to say is: FUCK YEAHHHH!!!!!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53 pm 

Type O Negative - World Coming Down

I find myself listening to this more and more with every passing day. I think that's a good thing?

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:56 pm 

It's a pretty obvious rec, but if you're going down this road of depressing, liferuining alt metal, Life of Agony - Ugly is a necessary listen.

Dead End Path - "Skeleton Key to the Cemetary'

Death/thrash/hardcore type stuff with a significant bounce in the rhythm, but still remains dark and malevolent. Big fat wigger mosh riffs to be found everywhere. Vocalist has a John Tardy tone to him. Shame these guys broke up.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:01 pm 

I don't think Gorguts was anything above or beyond what any other given American DM band was doing at the time when they were playing straight death metal, but they were solid nonetheless. We all know how much I loathe Obscura though, so there's my take on that.

Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Just like Gorguts, they were better when they were cliche.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04 pm 

Cradle of Filth - Dusk And Her Embrace

Really impeccable shit, aside from the annoying vocals.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 pm 

Skeletonwitch - The Apothic Gloom

Just bought this a few days ago based off of multiple listens of "Red Death, White Light". I really liked their style, and I was thinking of going to their gig in Toronto two weeks ago, but it didn't work out because of my work schedule. Nonetheless, this is pretty sick, and I'm going to check out their full-lengths in the near future.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:38 am 

"Des Nebels langer Weg" -
Wald Geist Winter

2000s German Darkthrone worship.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:48 am 

Nocturnal Rites - The Iron Force

Goddamn I love those first three NR albums. Anders Zackrisson was the better fit for this band IMO.

Like your reviews?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:04 am 

droneriot wrote:
Also, sometimes I think In Flames' "before they sold out" debut is to this day even wimpier than any of their emo metalcore musings, it's all super pretty sugary lead guitar fiddles that sound like Iron Maiden if you remove all the cool parts including riffs and heaviness and replace them with eightfold increase lead guitar noodling. Oh and replace Bruce with a monotonously croaking guy who's only achievement for the band is that he's not Anders Friden. AMAZING album, too bad they sold out.

I like old In Flames but not Iron Maiden. :scratch:
Guess it's because of the annoying vocals in Power Metal.

Crypticide wrote:
Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious
It's been awhile since i listened to this album or band and all I have to say is: FUCK YEAHHHH!!!!!

Same here.

Cabin Lights from (2011) Obsequiae - Suspended in the Brume of Eos.
This band rules! :beer:

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:09 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I like old In Flames but not Iron Maiden. :scratch:

That's honestly understandable. Technically, the two bands are similar in that they features dueling guitar leads, but the way they use these leads is very different. In Flames tends to use much slower and sadder-sounding melodies.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:52 am 

Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies

Cosmic. Still kind of amazed what this band can do with their instruments. La Masquerade Infernale still remains a favorite though.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:12 am 

Judas Priest - Turbo

This album is openly homosexual. But that doesn't mean it's bad. Many Priest classics here. Next: Screaming for Vengeance.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
It's a pretty obvious rec, but if you're going down this road of depressing, liferuining alt metal, Life of Agony - Ugly is a necessary listen.

I've heard that album and I hated it. I like this sort of stuff when it is more doomy/sludgy. If anything, their debut seems like a more obvious rec to me.

Last edited by Napalm_Satan on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:24 am 

Judas Priest - Starbreaker

This is how you do a great metal chorus. And gotta love the groovy riff and hand-claps punctuating it. More bands should do that, too - bring it back to style, I say.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:26 am 

Rush - Witch Hunt

The more I hear this, the more it becomes one of my favorite Rush songs. That simple main chord progression is somehow mesmerizing and the ending of the song is one of the most amazing moments in music. Not to mention the part where Geddy lets that "Oooh" out and all of the synths join in. :love: :love: :love:

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:15 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Rush - Witch Hunt

The more I hear this, the more it becomes one of my favorite Rush songs. That simple main chord progression is somehow mesmerizing and the ending of the song is one of the most amazing moments in music. Not to mention the part where Geddy lets that "Oooh" out and all of the synths join in. :love: :love: :love:

The best version of that is from the Grace Under Pressure live album. That riff is as thick as an anvil there.

Rolling Stones- 19th Nervous Breakdown
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:16 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:

I've heard that album and I hated it. I like this sort of stuff when it is more doomy/sludgy. If anything, their debut seems like a more obvious rec to me.

Eh, River Runs Red is classic in its own right, but Method of Groove and Respect kinda drag and totally break the dour, suicidal atmosphere of the music. Ugly is much more solid and emotionally devastating throughout, I'd say it's the better album. It's not as thrashy bust still plenty sludgy in a looser way, a good companion to Alice in Chains stuff.

Pallbearer - An Offering of Grief
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:28 am 

Korn Insane & Rotten in Vain

Great new tracks! it seems that this could be Korn´s best album in many years!

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:38 pm 

Horrendous - Anareta

I kinda forgot about this album after listening to it once right after it arrived. It's good, but makes me want to put on Ecdysis instead, since that has all of the good parts of Anareta but with more headbangable riffs.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:42 pm 

Arizmenda - Beneath This Reality of Flesh

Brilliant stuff again from Arizmenda, but fuck if I know what he's trying to do in the final couple of minutes of Desperation in the Sky. That's just horrendous...
Apart from that, everything else is on point

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Skeletonwitch - The Apothic Gloom

Just bought this a few days ago based off of multiple listens of "Red Death, White Light". I really liked their style, and I was thinking of going to their gig in Toronto two weeks ago, but it didn't work out because of my work schedule. Nonetheless, this is pretty sick, and I'm going to check out their full-lengths in the near future.

Probably sounds weird to say but Beyond the Permafrost is one of my all time favorite albums. Just every single thing they do strikes gold on there, and they do a LOT.

SikTh - Flogging the Horses
Seeing them tonight on their first ever American tour (they're opening for Periphery but hey, take what you can get). These dudes were one of my most played bands in high school so this is a 16 year old BH's dream come true. They blend a whole bunch of weird shit that really shouldn't work but it somehow does. They get retroactively tagged as one of the early djent bands (since djent wasn't a term in 03-06 when their albums came out) but that's not really representative since they also mix in some highly technical mathcore and groove/nu metal in there too, with vocals I can only describe as roostercore. Just like HORSE, they're extremely abrasive and obnoxious but I adore everything going on beneath the surface so I'll never not love them.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm 

I remember hearing "Beyond The Permafrost" on satellite radio once, and I was speechless. I thought "what is this masterful combination of black, thrash, and melodic death metal?". They're a really cool band, from the very little that I've heard. It's a shame I forgot to buy some of their albums when I went to the big HMV in Toronto because I intended to go just to buy some Skeletonwitch stuff. One of my worst brainfarts ever.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm 

INXS - Listen Like Thieves

Yup, time for some INXS again. The last album by these guys I really care for, save Elegantly Wasted.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:54 pm 

I never really got into Skeletonwitch but the first minute or so of "Baptized In Flames" is unreal.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:06 pm 

Gargoyle - Cogito, Ergo Sum

This song is out of place on the album. It ruins the ~30mins or so of crazyness that preceded it. At least it is the last track so it can be skipped.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Judas Priest - Starbreaker

This is how you do a great metal chorus. And gotta love the groovy riff and hand-claps punctuating it. More bands should do that, too - bring it back to style, I say.

Excellent one. I think the drum solo on the Unleashed in the East version only further brings out its high-octane energy.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:19 pm 

Divercia - Cycle of Zero

Very interesting melodic death/gothic metal from Finland. Great atmosphere and excellent keys.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:11 pm 

"My Evil Soul - Rehearsal 1" -
Moonblood

Raw, under-produced German Black Metal. You all should know them already.

Last edited by ~Guest 132892 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:28 pm 

Buckethead - Hollowed Out

9 years of being a Buckethead fan and I'm still finding gold. This album is like Ohlinger's twin or something. Hells yes

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:39 pm 

Doom:VS - Earthless

The more I look into death/doom the better it gets. I don't know how I've only come across this recently, but it's a masterpiece.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:45 pm 

Venom - Black Metal

I recently purchased Patterson's Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult and the first chapter is all about Venom, so I figured I'd revisit them.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:23 pm 

Tyr - Valkyrja

I really need to check out some of Tyr's older material.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1782, 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786, 1787, 1788 ... 2925  Next