Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:39 am 

Sepultura - Inhuman Nature (Final Conflict cover)

Been listening to a lot of Final Conflict lately. Dig this cover from Sepultura -- it's heavier, which is almost always better!

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:57 am 

Metallica - Frantic

The unpopular opinions thread inspired me to listen to St. Anger again, after about 12/13 years. I gotta say, I'm actually quite enjoying this... That "keep searching" part is kinda trippy, its a really nice touch. Main riff is pretty cool too

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:16 am 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Manowar - Kings of Metal

An album with many high points, but many lows too. If they would've forgot all the stupid shit and replaced it with a couple of fast metal songs - which they could do at that time - this would propably be in the top 5. Heart of Steel is still one of the best metal ballads for me, there with Sleeping Sun, Tarot's Guardian Angel etc.

Manowar is one of my favourite bands and that describes pretty much every album. The lack of self-editing hurts this band so much is not even funny. Someone has to rein in Demaio stupid ideas, Warriors of the World could have been a classic if you included the b-sides. And that bass sound on the last one, it ruins the fun songs that the album has. But whatever, they are already old and it's too late for that.

Human Fortress - Amberstow

So, let's see this new album. I like what I'm listening. The last one had songs that were obviously written with Jioti in mind (Dark Knight comes to mind) and this one seems like the guys got to know Gus range more.

Last edited by Desperta_Ferro on Tue May 03, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Phobos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:18 am 

Black Sabbath - Tyr

Great Sabbath Record, what else to say?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:18 pm 

Muse - Unnatural Selection

Grade A riffs on this. Matt Bellamy sounds tremendous. This album has really grown on me with more listens...lots of textures and things going on beyond a few catchy choruses. Almost as good as Black Holes & Revelations.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:33 pm 

soverysorry wrote:
Dissection - The Somberlain

I fucking love this song. Yet, Ive never actually listened to any other Dissection song. Should probably do that at some point.

I know that feeling. There's one song that's fucking good by an artist you just can't be bothered with anything else. It's the same case with me and Sonata Arcitca's "Me Selene."

You totally should listen to the rest of that album though. :D

Blind Guardian- Traveler In Time

This song has been stuck in my head all day.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm 

:np: Judas Priest - 'Solar Angels'

I don't spin this album often, but man is it a fun listen! This track in particular is probably the highlight, primarily due to its more metallic riffing.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:38 pm 

Behemoth - Grom

Yeah, black metal era Behemoth is great. I like it better than their death metal albums.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:54 pm 

Mgla - "II (Groza)"

Mgla's debut isn't talked about as often, but this track is a clear standout.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:32 pm 

:np: Overkill - Taking Over

Totally badass in every sense of the word. Currently blasting "Wrecking Crew"

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:41 pm 

Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation

Realized this was the only album by them I hadn't heard yet. Really good, just like all their other shit.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:51 pm 

Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle

This album gets better and better with each listen! While I'm not really a black metal fan, there's something about this record that keeps me coming back to it.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:09 am 

Black Viper - Freedom's Reign

Just found out about these guys and liking them. They're a Norwegian speed metal band that have only got one three-song demo that's available on Bandcamp. I usually don't do the bandcamp thing but I really enjoyed them actually and apparently they'll be coming out with a cassette version of the demo as well as a full-length some point soon. Some pretty cool stuff.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:09 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
:np: Overkill - Taking Over

Totally badass in every sense of the word. Currently blasting "Wrecking Crew"

Overkill's best album. An absolute thrash classic. The first 4 songs are some of my favourite thrash jams.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:13 am 

Fear His Name is actually my favorite from Taking Over. it just totally nails that Manowar-esque mid paced vibe with the operatic vocals. They never really did another song like it
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:16 am 

Area51 - Judge the Joker

Dirk Verbeuren does session drums on this - kinda weird hearing him play on a power metal album.

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:01 am 

Cryptopsy - The Book of Suffering

Have to say, I've always loved Cryptopsy, None So Vile is my favourite death album, but like many fans I was disgusted by The Unspoken King. I never even gave their S/T a chance since, I've just been listening to Blasphemy/NSV/Whisper/Once Was Not (a really underrated album). However I stumbled across their latest EP on my Youtube page, noticed the old logo in full swing and fuck I am impressed :eek: It's very much more like Whisper Supremacy, not a problem at all for me, since I love that album. In fact it's like Whisper Supremacy but with better vocals. I am very pleased. I was a bit skeptical since Jon left, but Christian Donaldson has done an amazing job. This is old-school Cryptopsy all over the place. I will definitely (finally) give their S/T a spin, and I'm also really looking forward to their new EPs.

Fuck yes! It's always so good when a band rectifies their mistake and produces some quality material. Next up Morbid Angel!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:48 am 

Battle Beast - Unholy Savior

Let's see how much they play Touch in the Night here, when the hockey championships start. They could do much worse, I think. It's propably all Robin, Cheek, JVG and other Finnish shit, which should have no place in those kind of manly events.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 am 

Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll

This is my second favorite of Rainbow's first three. Rising is of course the best (Tarot Woman!). Rainbow Eyes is one of the few songs that almost make me cry. This album is quality all over. Just couple of "lesser" songs, like LA Connection.

The Phobos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:43 am 

:np: Motörhead - Another Perfect Day

Rock It!

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:11 am 

The Old Wind — Raveneye

Decent post-metal. They have a more resigned sound than most. A bit more intensity would be nice.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:38 am 

Grave - Vermin (Asphyx cover)

Grave do the best covers -- they find what would actually work best for themselves in the original tune and mutate it accordingly. Here they wipe off some of the grime and go for a grittier tone and a tighter overall ensemble performance. Vicious cover!

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:05 am 

Corsair - Agathyrsi

The album opener and one of my favourites on here so far. Also one of the "heavier" tracks. Starting my second listen of their self-titled album and I might be leaning toward liking this more than Ghosts of Proxima Centauri, which was still good mind you. We'll see.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:06 am 

Shiva - Firedance

How in the holy hell have I never heard this! It's like someone cross-pollinated 70s prog and NWOBHM, ie something I'm pretty much bound to love. The obscurity of this thing is absolutely baffling; there are gorgeous melodies and simple but effective riffs everywhere. Can't believe I saw the cover art so many times and passed it up...

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 am 

Pagan Altar -- Mythical and Magical

Still amazed that according to the database, the band has only been covered one time!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:20 pm 

:np: Pantera - Reinventing the Steel

Huh. It's kinda bland and some songs drag a bit but it's also a fairly fun album to listen to, especially on the one nice summer day we have all year! :P

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll

This is my second favorite of Rainbow's first three. Rising is of course the best (Tarot Woman!). Rainbow Eyes is one of the few songs that almost make me cry. This album is quality all over. Just couple of "lesser" songs, like LA Connection.

I love that album. "Kill the King" and "Gates of Babylon" are just masterpieces. I also really like "Lady of the Lake". "Rainbow Eyes" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:40 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Grave - Vermin (Asphyx cover)

Grave do the best covers -- they find what would actually work best for themselves in the original tune and mutate it accordingly. Here they wipe off some of the grime and go for a grittier tone and a tighter overall ensemble performance. Vicious cover!

Exactly what I was thinking listening to their cover of Satyricon's Possessed. They don't just clone the song, instead they make it theirs

NP : Grave - Out of Respect for the Dead

That guitar tone, the riffs, Ola's timeless vocals, the production... Everything about this album slays

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:23 pm 

Coprolith - War that Carries my Name
Kinda forgot about this band. Sounds like they've still got that sweet blasting Finnish black/death combo going on. Reminds me of a more catchy Panzerchrist at times.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:03 pm 

Fall of Efrafa — Tharn

This band would've been amazing only if they had more intense heavier metallic parts. Still, a very good band though.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:05 am 

soverysorry wrote:
Cryptopsy - The Book of Suffering

Yes! I thoroughly enjoyed this EP. If I'm being honest, I liked it more than anything else after NSV.

NP: Ulver - Bergtatt
Just got a new pair of headphones, and a new sativa today. I think this album is the perfect place to try the two out.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:49 am 

Summer is near and the sunny weather motivates me to retun to my heavy and power metal roots:

Judas Priest-Judas is Rising

and...

Helloween-Never Be a Star & Liar from Rabbit Don't Come Easy. Great tracks.

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 am 

Amon - Among Us

Wow, I don't think you could sound more identical to Deicide if you tried. But hey, that's hardly surprising given the line up.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:34 am 

Obsequiae - Atonement

Really cool stuff, lovely melodies!

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:56 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Summer is near and the sunny weather motivates me to retun to my heavy and power metal roots

I can relate! :)

Pooh - L'aquila e il falco

Ok.. this is a super weird one. Pooh are the most famous italian 60's pop (and sometimes pop/rock) band..
And god knows why this tune is freaking epic metal song about Attila with their signature layered vocals.. really unexpected, to say the least!

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:59 am 

Torture - Storm Alert

This is some cool stuff and I'm a little surprised the album isn't more well known. I guess it just got lost among the tremendous amount of thrash that came out in the late 80's

Edit: I'm actually gonna check out their EP. This is too good to not investigate further.

- Tim Minchin

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18 am 

Entombed - Heresy

Several influences: usual Entombed 90s death, doom, sludge.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:26 am 

Gadget - Violent Hours (For A Veiled Awakening)

Barney from Napalm does guest vocals and sounds better than he has in years (still a bit parched and thin but more resonantly dark). Song is incredible for only being 38 secs long.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:33 am 

Celticmoon - My Illusion of an Eternal Winter

Pretty good little piece of black metal, gotta love those cheesy 90's synths.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:58 am 

Manowar - Louder Than Hell

Say what you say, but this album is mostly fun. Yes, Courage is all sugar, and there's the same bassline in almost every song (DeMaio, you lazy man!), but no one can deny the excellence of Return of the Warlord or The Power. They're stupid - and they propably know it themselves - but that's one thing that makes them great.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1694, 1695, 1696, 1697, 1698, 1699, 1700 ... 2910  Next