Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:11 pm 

Heavenly – Destiny

Top notch power metal!

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm 

Winds of Sorrow - Beneath a Sea of Tears

Atmospheric Black Metal from Mort (Exiled from Light) an album with the potential to be uplifting yet still be depressive, a bit like Xasthur but with more melody.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:03 pm 

The Wounded Kings - The Silence

They have delivered the goods yet again. Consolamentum may not match the masterpiece that is The Shadow over Atlantis but it's damn solid.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:50 pm 

Cradle of Filth - Of Mist and Midnight Skies

This might be the most underrated CoF song ever! I have never seen it mentioned anywhere. It's mostly mid-paced, with doomy, almost Celtic Frost-esqe riffs. Dani even throws in a manly(!) "OOHH" and a "yeahhh" in true Tom Warrior fashion. Listen around 5:20.

The lyrics are cheesy though

That night they came and took her away from me
I lost the woman I loved and I learned how to curse
And to spit in the face of their... Jesus FUCKING Christ

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:30 pm 

Koldscov - Koldscov

Really cool black metal EP

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:20 pm 

Sonata Arctica – Shamandalie

Cant tell if this is a song about losing a friend after being friendzoned or just losing one in general.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:36 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Sonata Arctica – Shamandalie

Cant tell if this is a song about losing a friend after being friendzoned or just losing one in general.

They have a lot of songs like that, I think San Sebastian is pretty similar in subject matter if I recall correctly.

Lunarsea - Next and Future

DAMN good ethereal melodic death.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:47 am 

Heresiarch - Carnivore

Heavy, uncompromising, one dimensional, devastating New Zealand madness.

My collection

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:23 am 

Nadiwrath - Nihilistic Stench

Too punky for my tastes. I wish it had more Black Metal

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 pm 

Deafheaven - The Pecan Tree

There really is no other way to describe this other than "beautiful".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 pm 

Destroy Destroy Destroy - Gods of war and Open sores
Goddamn I forgot how good this band was, then I looked them up on here and realized; A) no one here seems to like these guys- Children of Bodom clone? Total slander! more like a better version of 3 Inches of Blood. and B) they haven't released a damn thing since Battle Sluts 5 years ago but they're still active...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:57 pm 

Armageddon - Well of Sadness, off Three

So, one of the Amott brothers pulling off a ballad in the vein of Alice in Chains, and a very good one at that. This stuff is "hear it to believe it".

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:59 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Deafheaven - The Pecan Tree
There really is no other way to describe this other than "beautiful".

I could NOT get into the album. That should NOT be called BM.

High Command from (1996) Pentastar - In the Style of Demons.
Some time since I last listened to this band!
P.D: We saw them not long ago (17 March 2012) and they were BORING but that's not what I feel when listening to the albums.

Spoiler: show

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 pm 

Mogwai 'Rave Tapes' - in my mind, Mogwai can do no wrong. I will admit that they've been relying on old tricks, but their old tricks are still awesome tunes. I love this band and their new album is awesome.

Bohren & Der Club of Gore 'Piano Nights' - I really love this band, but am more inclined to their older stuff - the Twin Peaks sounding stuff more so than the very doomish jazz. The new album is very doom and gloom - it's good but I still prefer their Twin Peaks sound.

Alcest 'Shelter' - I think their last album was the perfect blend of metal and shoegaze - I don't mind the new stuff but miss the metal they brought cause they did it really well. Still better than Deafheaven though.

Actress 'Ghettoville' - this guy is fucking awesome making weird electronic dance music that I find is similar to old Aphex Twin. New album is really good.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:38 pm 

HMKids - Prospero
I really love this song.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 pm 

Windom Earle wrote:
Mogwai 'Rave Tapes' - in my mind, Mogwai can do no wrong. I will admit that they've been relying on old tricks, but their old tricks are still awesome tunes. I love this band and their new album is awesome.

Gotta admit I was pretty disappointed in the new album on the whole. The first three tracks I heard from it were by far the best ("Remurdered", "The Lord is Out of Control" and "Blues Hour" in that order) and I was totally pumped for it. However, the rest of the album mainly sounds like their soundtracky Les Revenants OST stuff shoehorned into a more explicitly song/album oriented approach and just wound up sounding both less immersive and atmospheric than the soundtrack stuff and less immediate and gripping than their better studio album material. Those three songs are really good though, especially "Blues Hour" which may be the best thing the band has done this millennium.

Currently listening to Mgła - With Hearts Toward None VII

Strange to hear a band straddle the line between atmospheric minimalism and raw power like these guys do, but it's definitely grand. I listened to this boatloads of times back when it was newer but naturally my listening has tapered off some since then, but it still holds up for sure. Maybe not quite as good as the debut album, but still great stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:43 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Windom Earle wrote:

Gotta admit I was pretty disappointed in the new album on the whole. The first three tracks I heard from it were by far the best ("Remurdered", "The Lord is Out of Control" and "Blues Hour" in that order) and I was totally pumped for it. However, the rest of the album mainly sounds like their soundtracky Les Revenants OST stuff shoehorned into a more explicitly song/album oriented approach and just wound up sounding both less immersive and atmospheric than the soundtrack stuff and less immediate and gripping than their better studio album material. Those three songs are really good though, especially "Blues Hour" which may be the best thing the band has done this millennium.

It's funny you should mention that, because that's what I was expecting as well but don't hear that at all. I won't deny that they aren't going above and beyond anything they've done in the past, CODY being my favorite if I would had to choose one album, even though every album has some classic Mogwai songs. It's a good album though - anything they do is good, just not as good as what they used to do haha

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:33 pm 

Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe

From the Cross Purposes Live video. This song with anybody other than Bill Ward on drums just feels so ridiculously different.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:41 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Spoiler: show
Windom Earle wrote:

Currently listening to Mgła - With Hearts Toward None VII

Strange to hear a band straddle the line between atmospheric minimalism and raw power like these guys do, but it's definitely grand. I listened to this boatloads of times back when it was newer but naturally my listening has tapered off some since then, but it still holds up for sure. Maybe not quite as good as the debut album, but still great stuff.

Honestly my favorite MGLA song of all time, and after I heard the riffs and the power of that song I knew that the band would be played regularly for many years, indeed great stuff. I don't remember the exact part, since I havn't listened to that song for a while but I believe around the 3 minute mark there is a killer riff that is too infectious to let go.

NP; Metalucifer - Iron Fists (Japanese version) Metalucifer is great for raising the spirits, a glass of neat whiskey never hurt either! Been my go to combo after work, makes it all worth it.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:40 am 

Hathorious - Beneath the Shades of Hathor demo.

Another addition to the ever growing realm of oriental/middle-eastern extreme metal. It's really neat stuff, and it'd be cool to hear it on a full-length with a professional production.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:48 am 

Iron Monkey - Iron Monkey / Our Problem 2-disc set

It might not quite be the sweltering swamps of Louisiana, but the drug-fueled desperation that courses through their brief catalog has enough resemblance to both better known and unheralded sludge bands of the time to justify their cult-like reputation. What they lacked in song-to-song variety they made up for with unsettling dynamics and fat production to give each riff and instrument the heft necessary to bludgeon and bury at will. Grooves as nauseating as the scent of heroin wafting from your speakers.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:33 am 

Tarot - Crows Fly Black

I'm a big fan of Marco Heitala's aggressive vocal style, but I've only heard him in Nightwish. I finally decided to give this band a try, and I'm generally enjoying it. However, I'm over all not really too hooked yet. The music seems to be trying to get a sort of pseudo-epic sound with a thin guitar tone and very shitty synths. It's a nice groovy album though so far, but three songs in I think I already got the general idea of the album. Will continue listening though.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:45 am 

Zyklon-B - Warfare

Never get tired of this track after almost twenty years of listening to it...

My collection

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 am 

Hail of Bullets - The Rommel Chronicles

Well-done old school grooviness never gets old. After early Pestilence, this band suits Van Drunen's vocals the most

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 am 

Nocturnus - The Key

Finally getting around to listening to a lot of 'classic' albums, with this minor slump in new albums to listen to. This one makes me think I should give up on new albums. :P

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 am 

Iced Earth - Attila

A fairly bland, stock Schaffer riff runs under Tim Owens singing lyrics that come off like reading a history textbook. If Iron Maiden's history lyrics put you right in the thick of the action, this song's lyrics seem somewhat dispassionate and removed from the source. And then out of nowhere comes this great call-and-response vocal tradeoff section with harsh vocals portraying the Huns and these cool Eric Clayton-style gang vocals as the Romans, and it just makes me look at the rest of the song and say "Why can't you be this inspired?"

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm 

Megadeth - Cryptic Writings

Been a while since I heard this one. For some reason, I heard it in my head. I dig Megadeth's rocking period.

--

Megadeth - Risk

Yes, this album now. Sue me and then lick my butt.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:46 pm 

Belketre - "A Day Will Dawn"

About 6 months into my black metal self-education, I found this split with Vlad Tepes. Not sure why I like it, sometimes hard to believe that I do. Fucked up, "anti", noisy and non-produced, but at the same time totally considered, and refined in a way that only French people trying to make Norwegian BM could be. Want more like this.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:17 pm 

Deicide - In the Minds of Evil

Decent as expected. Sounds like Deicide, no super-inspiring riffs, but the material presented is performed well, good production (for modern metal), and the leads are fun.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:35 pm 

Armageddon - Blind Fury, off Embrace the Mystery

Very strong power metal with a singer who is clearly a big follower of Geoff Tate. Definitely recommended if you like PM.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 pm 

Revisiting some older Amon Amarth today. The Crusher is seriously underrated, man this one rips like no other: Masters of War.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:52 am 

GTA 3 Main Theme

I'm serious. I love this damn song. Always have. I've had it on repeat for the last three hours as I write a damn story.

Which brings me to my question-- does anyone know anything similar?

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Faster Than You
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:05 am 

Cranium - Speed Metal Sentence (album)

While yes they only had two albums and a EP I could honestly say, that Cranium is my favorite "retro" thrash band. To me they are the gold standard by which other modern bands, should emulate. Cranium plays with so much passion and charisma that it oozes out of every note of music they play. I even like the tongue and cheek lyrics personally finding the repetitiveness of war, death, satan, society, and etc lyrics stale and boring.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:50 am 

Young and In the Way - They Should Greet Me with Howls of Execration

Can't fucking wait for the new full-length. The best blackened crust stuff ever, if you ask me, and the new album sounds like it'll be a monument.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:36 am 

Pentacle - ... Rides the Moonstorm

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I enjoy Pentacle much more than Asphyx. They should be much bigger than they are

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:06 am 

Judas Priest - Here Come the Tears

Sin After Sin is a totally underrated album. It sounds quite thin, but the songs in itself are great.

invitus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:07 am 

Marty Friedman - Steroidhead. The song off the upcoming album. Love the way it sounds - more Buckethead-ish, but with sensibilities. There's something to be said about pure enjoyment with such music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VloECYg6bWc

:)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:22 am 

Melechesh - Annunaki's Golden Thrones

I remember the FFA discussion about them a while ago. Amazed that some people think this is gimmicky or trying too hard or anything. It's just pure molten steel riffing with an Egyptian melody style to it; it's not like they're filling the music with all kinds of exotic instruments and pretending they're the descendants of the pharaohs or some shit. Really good.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:30 am 

Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans

The song, and the record as a whole, really showcases a perfect medium between the cavernous beauty of the first record, and the more refined, clean atmosphere of the third. I tend to overlook it slightly, but when I do listen to it, it's a rewarding spin.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:40 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Pentacle - ... Rides the Moonstorm

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I enjoy Pentacle much more than Asphyx. They should be much bigger than they are

Who cares eh? I put Pentacle up there with Asphyx easily, and their Pentagram cover owns. That album and the Fifth Moon EP are great fucking stuff indeed. In fact...

Pentacle - Veil Of Sulfur

Deaththrashin' at it's unholy best. When the main rhythm riff locks in, shit gets real.

My collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1409, 1410, 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414, 1415 ... 2923  Next