Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:19 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
That's great that you don't like them, but in what world aren't [Sabaton] power metal?

What? Sabaton's sound incorporated that "epic" feeling one gets when listening to power metal: ripping off your shirt to expose the thick, shag-rug of growth, defending a small village against eight million enemies while simultaneously drinking, shooting, stabbing and saving small, crying babies whom are falling from the sky.

But realistically, nothing else about them is power metal.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:56 pm 

Sabaton - 'The Lost Battalion'

So this band are hot shit huh? It's easy to see why, completely manufactured verse-chorus power pop metal that is as plastic as is imaginable. The catchiness of the song has a certain cold and calculated feel to it, the vocals are so processed he is basically a robot, the guitars are hilariously slick and the exact antithesis of aggressive (or audible). I've honestly heard more aggressive radio fodder modern rock songs. Bloody hell this is boring.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:11 pm 

Well said, man. My beef with them is, why are they called power metal when there is no power in their music? Fine, I guess they're "epic" and "melodic", but that's not enough to make them a power metal band. If anything, they're just a regular heavy metal band that has power metal tendencies, though still a very shitty and bland one. Very uninteresting and below average Nuclear Blast pop metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:13 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Well said, man. My beef with them is, why are they called power metal when there is no power in their music? Fine, I guess they're "epic" and "melodic", but that's not enough to make them a power metal band. If anything, they're just a regular heavy metal band that has power metal tendencies, though still a very shitty and bland one. Very uninteresting and below average Nuclear Blast pop metal.

They're not that good of a band, no, but that whole 'why are they called power metal when there's no power in the music' thing always bugs me - it's because that's a very subjective quality. They do have more qualities than not of power metal though, it's not that hard to see.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:19 pm 

"The Lost Battalion" is one of the songs that has grown on me. It's kind of cool that instead of using drums, they recorded themselves shooting guns. It's still one of the worst songs they've ever done though.

Also, is today State the Obvious About Sabaton Day? Perhaps I'll make a thread tomorrow about how Rhapsody songs have fantasy lyrics!

Orden Ogan - Dying Paradise

I absolutely love the beginning of this song.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:21 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
My beef with them is, why are they called power metal when there is no power in their music?.

This sounds like something a child would say.
Empyreal wrote:
They're not that good of a band, no, but that whole 'why are they called power metal when there's no power in the music' thing always bugs me - it's because that's a very subjective quality. They do have more qualities than not of power metal though, it's not that hard to see.

Saying something has "power" gives no indication to one's opinion. You're just saying words that have no meaning. It's like me saying, "why is this band called black metal? There's no blackness in the music!"

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:23 pm 

Minstrel - 夢蝶

Really good folk/progressive power metal from Taiwan.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:24 pm 

Yeah it shows a pretty flimsy understanding of what the genre means, i.e. a broad spectrum of metal bands with forceful, clean, melodic vocals and speedy riffing and anthemic moments, and that doesn't even encompass it all.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:28 pm 

Empyreal, just curious, what exactly would be power metal then? I'm not testing you, but I'm legitimately asking. Everything you said in that post is exactly what I think of when I think of power metal. Is my conception of what the genre is a bit off?

I see why Sabaton is considered power metal, but I personally don't consider them so. They lack a ton of what power metal should have in my opinion. When I think of power metal, I think of a more ambitious speed metal. Lots of speedy riffs and drums, really powerful soaring vocals, and an overall anthemic, empowering, and sometimes even theatrical theme in the music. Something like this is what I think is like THE embodiment of power metal.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:36 pm 

I think they fall under the definition of power metal - they're quite a wimpy example of the genre but they are power metal nonetheless. All the tropes are there, watered down and crisply filtered hundreds of times to pure pop 'perfection'.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:37 pm 

Okay I guess that makes sense. That band always struck me as a really theatric and overblown heavy metal with waaaaay too many keyboards rather than power metal - I guess that's why.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:39 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Empyreal, just curious, what exactly would be power metal then? I'm not testing you, but I'm legitimately asking. Everything you said in that post is exactly what I think of when I think of power metal. Is my conception of what the genre is a bit off?

I see why Sabaton is considered power metal, but I personally don't consider them so. They lack a ton of what power metal should have in my opinion. When I think of power metal, I think of a more ambitious speed metal. Lots of speedy riffs and drums, really powerful soaring vocals, and an overall anthemic, empowering, and sometimes even theatrical theme in the music. Something like this is what I think is like THE embodiment of power metal.

Not sure I get your question, man. What I said above is what power metal is - a lot of bands that usually have upbeat melodies, speedy riffs and melodic or anthemic qualities. Like any genre it can be broad. Gamma Ray are certainly what many people think of as a stereotypical PM band, but if you think the genre is so narrow that anything that sounds different isn't PM at all, then you're being too narrow with what you think a genre is. No genre is really that restrictive that nothing else slightly different can be under the same genre.

This song is certainly power metal, and Sabaton have plenty of others like it.

Plenty of other bands like Tad Morose also are PM despite not sounding like that.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:40 pm 

Nightwish - 'Stargazer'

I like. A lot.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:41 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
they're quite a wimpy example of the genre

Well, you got a snort-chuckle out of me.

Sabaton leans way heavier in the direction of whatever-the-fuck we're calling Rhapsody Of Fire these days, what with all of the keyboards and synths and shit.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:45 pm 

Why? Is it wrong to call them that?

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:45 pm 

Perhaps "Screaming Eagles" would be a better example of typical power metal.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:47 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Why? Is it wrong to call them that?

No. I can't remember the last time I heard something described as "wimpy" much less a band called that, and I thought it was funny.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:48 pm 

Oh right, fair enough. :)

I mean, I sit here calling them wimpy as I listen to Nightwish so it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 pm 

At least early Nightwish had riffs, some good ones too!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:17 pm 

"Doomsday Machine" -
Arch Enemy

I haven't listened to them since around middle school and freshman year until this Summer and it's held up surprisingly well.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:32 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
No. I can't remember the last time I heard something described as "wimpy" much less a band called that, and I thought it was funny.

I recently tried to give Entombed another chance and I will continue to call them Enwimped without shame, like Dead did.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:34 pm 

Which album did you listen to?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:36 pm 

Left Hand Path

The Nihilist songs re-recorded for the album are the only thing close to highlights, but are weaker than their original versions. The new songs have that weird upbeat riffing, makes me think the love for morbid riffs went with Johnny, because there's a lot more of that in early Unleashed.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:41 pm 

Ravenia - We All Died for Honor

I'm not sure a symphonic metal band could possibly get more symphonic if they tried. I love this song.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:51 pm 

:np: Unleashed - Where No Life Dwells

Yeah this is a little darker.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 pm 

Gorguts - Considered Dead

From what i have heard from Obscura, this album kicks the shit out of. Really fucking solid old school death metal.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 pm 

Running Wild — Black Soul

In a big RW mood lately

I havent listened to any Sabaton past their first 2 albums but their first album definitely had power: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7tTavUcwFg

Last edited by Folkemon_ on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:17 pm 

Avantasia - Mystery Of A Bloodred Rose

Glad to be listening to some actual good PM after reviewing the Sabaton and Iron Savior albums.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:30 pm 

Yeah, I found Titancraft to be completely mediocre. Nothing too horrible, but I'll never listen to it again.

NP: オモイメグラス - ReS-04-8分後副作用有り
Not sure how to describe this one. Interesting though.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:30 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
At least early Nightwish had riffs, some good ones too!

Hmm. Some flashy power metal scale runs that were worth a damn, but people act like they were actually "heavy" - which wasn't the case at all.

And agreed, Titancraft was a pretty big step down. Band is phoning it in. Piet needs to stop producing other bands' work and focus on his own.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm 

Crypticide wrote:
Really fucking solid old school death metal.

Really fucking BORING old school death metal. Sometimes I think it's the same phenomenon as the first two Dimmu Borgir albums, that people only listen to it so they can say they love the stuff "before they sold out."

Nihilist - Morbid Devourment - Live bootleg 1989

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:37 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Sometimes I think it's the same phenomenon as the first two Dimmu Borgir albums, that people only listen to it so they can say they love the stuff "before they sold out."

Haha exactly, DB's debut is such a crock... it really says something about the fans that they can push that as some sort of eclectic masterwork. More like the band had no idea what to do with it since they could barely play their instruments. Not a death stroke in and of itself, but come on... listen to it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:37 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Yeah, I found Titancraft to be completely mediocre. Nothing too horrible, but I'll never listen to it again.

It's just a slog. I still go back to Condition Red once a year or so and it smokes - but yeah, new stuff's just not so great.

Avantasia - Seduction Of Decay

The best Geoff Tate has been in years, and probably ever will be again.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:40 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Haha exactly, DB's debut is such a crock... it really says something about the fans that they can push that as some sort of eclectic masterwork. More like the band had no idea what to do with it since they could barely play their instruments. Not a death stroke in and of itself, but come on... listen to it.

Also, sometimes I think In Flames' "before they sold out" debut is to this day even wimpier than any of their emo metalcore musings, it's all super pretty sugary lead guitar fiddles that sound like Iron Maiden if you remove all the cool parts including riffs and heaviness and replace them with eightfold increase lead guitar noodling. Oh and replace Bruce with a monotonously croaking guy who's only achievement for the band is that he's not Anders Friden. AMAZING album, too bad they sold out.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:43 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Crypticide wrote:
Really fucking solid old school death metal.

Really fucking BORING old school death metal. Sometimes I think it's the same phenomenon as the first two Dimmu Borgir albums, that people only listen to it so they can say they love the stuff "before they sold out."

Nihilist - Morbid Devourment - Live bootleg 1989

Really? Because i actually listened to this one first and enjoyed it. Obscura i just found really boring for some reason. So nice try trying to make me look some sort of hipster, better luck next time, I guess?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:45 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Also, sometimes I think In Flames' "before they sold out" debut is to this day even wimpier than any of their emo metalcore musings, it's all super pretty sugary lead guitar fiddles that sound like Iron Maiden if you remove all the cool parts including riffs and heaviness and replace them with eightfold increase lead guitar noodling. Oh and replace Bruce with a monotonously croaking guy who's only achievement for the band is that he's not Anders Friden. AMAZING album, too bad they sold out.

I rarely agree with you on metal but this is spot on.

Avantasia - Ghostlights

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:05 pm 

Sabaton - Carolus Rex

In one of the album trailers, they said the new album would sound like this album. Lying bastards.

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:11 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Sometimes I think it's the same phenomenon as the first two Dimmu Borgir albums, that people only listen to it so they can say they love the stuff "before they sold out."

While I agree 100% that For All Tid is worthless and amateurish, you can't put Stormblast in the same category at all. The second track "Broderskapets ring" has to be one of the most elegant, sublime, and well written compositions in the scene- totally awesome at both an artistic and aesthetic level. It makes the eyes water even if one is in the mood, a track that cleanses the soul. There is other great stuff on that album as well.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:20 pm 

Einherjer - Ironbound

I should hate this but 1:19 is just so fucking perfect for tapdancing. God.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:22 pm 

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet

Someone mentioned them when I asked for recs in the funeral doom thread. Fell asleep by the second song, which is a good thing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1781, 1782, 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786, 1787 ... 2923  Next