:np: Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

This is savage. \m/

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:50 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
Dio - Why Are they Watching Me

Such a bad ass song

YES. THIS. That's my favorite Dio song actually :lol: LutW is so underrated, and Why Are they Watching Me always manages to get listens from me whenever I'm listening to Dio.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
:np: Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

This is savage. \m/

I'll never forget the first time I heard that album. It gave my ears PTSD as a 14 year old who hadn't even heard stuff like Testament. :lol: Kickass album, The Pestilence is my fave, the riffing in the middle is sick.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 pm 

The first time I heard it was unpleasant. My dainty ears couldn't comprehend it because it was so intense.

Those days are long gone. :headbang:

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:57 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
I'm afraid you are acutely psychotic and we're going to have to start you on Haldol for your own good.

OK. :roll:

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:00 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
The first time I heard it was unpleasant. My dainty ears couldn't comprehend it because it was so intense.

Those days are long gone. :headbang:

Same here man. :beer: Although, I'm a bit behind on things. :lol: I still have much, much more stuff to dig into

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:14 am 

Burzum - Inn i slottet fra droemmen

Both atmospheric and pummeling. Still can't comprehend just how fucking perfect this album is.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
YES. THIS. That's my favorite Dio song actually :lol: LutW is so underrated, and Why Are they Watching Me always manages to get listens from me whenever I'm listening to Dio.

Its a pretty awesome song and great album! Wouldn't call it my favourite (most of my all-time Dio favourites are packed onto Holy Diver and Sacred Heart), but still love it!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:39 am 

Harakiri for the Sky - "Jhator"

This is the sort of anguished filled post-black metal that I can dig. I'll be checking their new album soon, I have a feeling it'll be at least better than the new Coldworld.

doc Regula69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:38 am 

Voivod - Blower
Voivod (1984)

ITS LAIK A GRINDEURRRR!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:02 am 

Ripper - Spherical Energy

This sounds pretty cool although this track itself reminds me a bit too much of Pestilence. That intro riff sounds identical to something from Malleus Maleficarum while that main riff reminds me one of those songs on Testimony of the Ancients.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 am 

Naglfar - 12th rising (well, full Diabolical album)

Jens Ryden was my favorite vocalist for Naglfar. I've yet to really check out his work with Thyrfing yet.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:43 am 

Thergothon- Yet the Watchers Guard

Kick-ass funeral doom. :headbang:

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:19 pm 

In the Woods - Heart of Ages

This album just keeps growing on me.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:27 pm 

Assorted Heap - Grave New World

First listen of this album as I just got it in today and I'm really happy with it. Excellent death/thrash! It's awesome how much great thrash is being reissued these days, and it sounds like Vic Records is going to do Mindwaves as well soon, so I'll definitely be picking that up.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 pm 

Agonized - Torture

Some of the heaviest, murkiest death metal. Without blastbeats? Wow.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:59 pm 

:np: Cobalt - Gin

This was quite a shock at first, given that the descriptor 'black metal' doesn't account for the almost post-hardcore(?) nature of the riffs. This is seriously great stuff.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
:np: Cobalt - Gin

This was quite a shock at first, given that the descriptor 'black metal' doesn't account for the almost post-hardcore(?) nature of the riffs. This is seriously great stuff.

Yeah, one of my favourite metal albums for sure. Really unique sound, not sure I'd call it post-hardcore, but it's definitely a hard sound to pigeonhole. I'd say they take black metal mixed with crust, add some dark americana atmosphere, and then add a lot of Tool and Neurosis, especially in the drums. Eater of Birds (I'll have to redo my review of this at some point) is also awesome, similar sound but a lot more raw and aggressive and the black metal and the crust is very much at the forefront.

NP - Eddie Gale - Ghetto Music
Been exploring a lot of stuff besides metal lately. This is a crazy find, haven't heard anything like this in my life. Is it a soul album? Is it a jazz album? It's probably somewhere in between, but that doesn't count for all the other influences at play. Somehow both very accessible and fiercely experimental, this would have been a great soundtrack to 1968 (year of release). It bleeds counterculture through and through.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 pm 

I wasn't sure what to call it. Post-hardcore it isn't really, come to think of it, but some sort of hardcore punk (I think that term includes crust) is most certainly palpable. That atmospheric edge is notable too, and a nice touch. Does a whole lot else sound like it?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:27 pm 

Well, crust came out of hardcore punk, kind of a parallel to death and black metal coming out of thrash. Their newest album has a lot more straight up hardcore influence.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:47 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Been exploring a lot of stuff besides metal lately. This is a crazy find, haven't heard anything like this in my life. Is it a soul album? Is it a jazz album? It's probably somewhere in between, but that doesn't count for all the other influences at play. Somehow both very accessible and fiercely experimental, this would have been a great soundtrack to 1968 (year of release). It bleeds counterculture through and through.

Spiritual Jazz is a hell of a thing to dig into, really interesting stuff. check out pharoah sanders if you haven't

NP: nothing I'm watching ghost adventures. I turned 20 today, what's some essential adult music

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:50 pm 

^^Night Ranger.

NP: Crystal Arrow - Flight of Crystal Arrow

Borderline bands who I can't tell belong on this site or not piss me off. I think this falls on the wrong side of borderline, despite having some proper metal songs.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 pm 

WillyB wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

Spiritual Jazz is a hell of a thing to dig into, really interesting stuff. check out pharoah sanders if you haven't

Alright, I'll check him when this album is done. What album of his would be a good starting point? Also, do you have any other recs? The only other thing I'm aware of in this sort of ballpark is Sun Ra. Preferably rec albums since jazz dude's discographies tend to be massive and kind of daunting when trying to figure out where to start.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:58 pm 

I'd start with Karma if you want to go full in. Alice Coltrane's album Journey in Satchidananda is good to, features Sanders. that's all I really know right now, just started looking into it all myself after liking John Coltrane's A Love Supreme for so long

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 pm 

Thanks, will do. Been digging into the Blue Note classics recently and discovering some really great stuff and besides that been trying to find really weird outliers in the genre, and Ghetto Music fell under both. Another cool one like that I've recently discovered is Donald Byrd's Knights of Ethiopia. It's this crazy, massive funk-jazz with a hell of a lot of power behind it.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 pm 

Alunah - White Hoarhound

This is some of the best doom I've heard in a long time, totally kickass stuff. Doomy and atmospheric, but with some killer musicianship and wonderful vocals. Reminds me of Master of Reality, but a bit more atmospheric.

Mayhem62
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:41 pm 

Death - The Sound of Perseverance

I think is my 2nd favorite Death album behind Symbolic

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 pm 

The Soviet Space Programme - Space is Hell

An interesting drone concept album about the real first cosmonaut to make it to space, only to have his pod malfunction and send him flying off into the abyss.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:54 pm 

Candlemass - At the Gallows End

One of my favourite Candlemass songs on my favourite Candlemass album.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:41 pm 

WillyB wrote:
I'd start with Karma if you want to go full in. Alice Coltrane's album Journey in Satchidananda is good to, features Sanders. that's all I really know right now, just started looking into it all myself after liking John Coltrane's A Love Supreme for so long

The Sanders album was pretty interesting. At least on first listen (and this is probably the sort of thing that's a grower), it wasn't like next level one of the best jazz albums I've ever heard sort of shit, but still really good. Perhaps a bit too hippy new agey, but it's the only thing besides Elvenfris with heavy doses of new age I've actually enjoyed. The whole chaotic breakdown thing wasted way too long, but otherwise a really entertaining jam.

The Alice Coltrane album was, however, some next level sort of shit and by far one of the most interesting jazz albums I've heard. The whole Eastern psychedelia thing is amazing and the way this captures a unique atmosphere is just amazing. Thanks for introducing me to this, definitely won't be the last time I listen to it.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:25 pm 

Yeah I was expecting something different from Karma but still really enjoyed it, but I can dig a lot of the hippy new age bullshit (it's most of my music anymore) but Alice Coltrane's album was really pleasant.

NP: Can - Tago Mago

revisiting this album after a while and its still fucking amazing
i've been trying to think of a pun for this post but just can't

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:56 am 

Norrmania wrote:
Candlemass - At the Gallows End

One of my favourite Candlemass songs on my favourite Candlemass album

That is the second time you've posted about one of my favorite ever songs in here, you keep it going buddy! The intro to that song is one of the most beautiful moments I've ever heard in a metal song.

Phantom Blue - Built to Perform

Well damn, this is very good. Tons of attitude and really catchy riffing.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:57 am 

Angelcorpse - Exterminate

One example of war metal that doesn't get boring.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Harakiri for the Sky - "Jhator"

This is the sort of anguished filled post-black metal that I can dig. I'll be checking their new album soon, I have a feeling it'll be at least better than the new Coldworld.

New HFTS is truly awesome. You will enjoy it for sure. :)

Kauan-Koivun eläma

Re-recorded version. Kauan shows how to record a classic song, improving the sound and without ruining the charm of an old track.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:06 am 

Eructation - The Fumes of Putrefaction (1992-1995)

Old school Swedish death metal demos are one of the things that I generally just lap up, and this isn't disappointing. Takes quite considerable influence from elsewhere, especially the Finnish scene IMO, but works really quite well for that.

Edit: later on in the comp (the unreleased EP and rehearsal) you actually hear quite a lot of stuff like Terminal Spirit Disease.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:49 am 

Vintersorrow wrote:
The Stone - Sunovrat (from Nekroza album)

This is some seriously heavy (yup, heavy) black metal with some outstanding guitarwork and dynamic, involved songwriting. Loving the production. Crystal clear and crisp, but not overly processed.

Definitely an underlooked gem of 2014.

Yeah, that's their best work by some distance imo. Dunno if you know of the lead guitarist's side project - Kozeljnik. They're another brilliant and relatively unknown black metal band.

NP : The Dead Goats - All Of Them Witches

I was expecting a some growth and risks in the songwriting department, but they decided to stick to their swedeath/crust worship. Not the worst thing I've heard this year

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:54 am 

Rats of Reality - The Art of Debilitation EP (after just listening to Obsequies and the S/T)

To be honest, I prefer Hellripper, but this is very good stuff and I'm seeing the band in York tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to a lot (Coproach are fucking awesome too).

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:43 am 

Decapitated - The First Damned

That main riff is just so :drool:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:47 am 

Wolf Parade - Kissing the Beehive

This album has an absolutely great keyboard and guitar sound. Utter bliss. I wish more metal bands got this kind of rich, individual sound for their instruments. It's why I value bands like Pharaoh and anything Tobias Sammet does - Tobi especially has a great feel for production and changes it up on every album he does.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:28 pm 

Nonexist - Deus Deceptor

Still holds up after all these years..

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:17 pm 

Buckethead - Beyond the Windmill

Some grade-A motherfudgin' Buckethead right here. The Aquarium album is one of my faves, and I'm still shocked that fellow Bucketbots don't really care about it. Those Big B styled arpeggio riffs never get old, and that hybrid picking part at 4:35 is just freaking ethereal. This probably makes it on my list of top-10 Buckethead songs, out of the ~1000 or so in my collection.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1753, 1754, 1755, 1756, 1757, 1758, 1759 ... 2915  Next