PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 am 

Simon & Garfunkel - A Hazy Shade Of Winter

The original not the cover by Sodom.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:34 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Skyforger - Battle of Plakani, Battle of Veisi

In the mood for some of the least commercial music I have - been listening to too much clean stuff today!

Latviesu Strelnieki is a criminally underrated album. I actually prefer this album and the pure folk Zobena Dziesma over the folk/metal stuff
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 am 

Subrick wrote:
Scar Symmetry - The Illusionist

Criminally catchy and Alvestam's voice rules.

I agree. This song is GREAT but I really can not get into most of their stuff
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 am 

^ I used to listen to them just for Christian Alvestam's vocals. Such a very good vocalist, harsh and cleans.

Np : Goreaphobia - Mortal Repulsion

These guys are awesome and not nearly as well known as they should be. Dunno why they didn't put out full lengths in the 90's...
Anyhoo, their two albums are great

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:08 am 

Sulphurous - Voices...

Pretty damn good demo death metal band. Slightly simple (but not bad at all) and burly with some crazy leads that jump out of the speakers at you.

My collection

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:41 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Quote:
I consider it better than (2006) Summoning - Oath Bound

I really disagree :lol: I love Oath Bound

Paganbasque wrote:
Good boy Lord_Brendan, I also love OB which is actually my favourite Summoning album, alongside Minas Morgul.

LOL!

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
I's Between Two Worlds - "Mountains"
I haven't listened to this album in a while. I'd forgotten how much I like it.

I don't. Immortal went from BM to Heavy Metal and, finally, to Boring Metal.

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Absu - Preclusion to Cythraul
I haven't listened to Absu in years; finally got around to listening to them properly today, and I'm already very impressed, five minutes into the record. The drumming is monstrous.

They're a REALLY nice and unique band, true.

Kentucky from (2012) Panopticon - Kentucky.
Beautiful ending to a beautiful album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Skyforger - Battle of Plakani, Battle of Veisi

In the mood for some of the least commercial music I have - been listening to too much clean stuff today!

Latviesu Strelnieki is a criminally underrated album. I actually prefer this album and the pure folk Zobena Dziesma over the folk/metal stuff

I think it may be my favorite Skyforger right now, it feels more unified than Thunderforge - though Thunderforge is just tremendous too.

Rush - Freewill

Catchy rock with some of the best lyrics I know.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 am 

In the Past (The Chocolate Watchband Cover) from (2012) Ulver - Childhood's End.
This album is REALLY fun!
P.S: And this last show I went to made me remember it:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2014/03/mike-watt-missingmen-usa-guess-what-uk.html

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:36 am 

Iron Maiden – Aces High

Easily one of Maidens best tracks, and its about the battle of Britain which makes it even more fucking epic

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:43 am 

Solitude Aeturnus - Dream of Immortality

Robert Lowe's got a cool voice. The guy sounds so restrained on the high notes and once in a while sings a line slightly more intense just because he can. Add some nice pounding riffs to back him up and you've got a sweet tune. I must hear more of this band!

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 am 

Edguy – The Headless Game

Thing i love most about early Edguy is the gang operatic chorus's

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:28 pm 

Freedom Call - Follow Your Heart

Holy shit, this album actually is really good. It's like someone killed them all off, went back to 2002, abducted the group, and brought them to 2014.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Holy shit, this album actually is really good. It's like someone killed them all off, went back to 2002, abducted the group, and brought them to 2014.

No kidding. Maybe it's got a few too many songs, but this is very solid.

Freedom Call - In the Rhythm of Light

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:41 pm 

Clenched Fist from (1993) Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Some years since I last listened to this!
Different style from old Sepultura but quite enjoyable. Never understood the hate.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

No kidding. Maybe it's got a few too many songs, but this is very solid.

I'll have to play that one later. Freedom Call was a band I written off for dead years ago. That one song posted in the power metal thread was actually good. Why couldn't they have done this a decade ago instead of wasting everyone's time all these years? That one Gamma Ray song seemed promising too (I'm not going to get excited until I hear that entire album though) Maybe all the big Euro power metal bands are starting to write good music again. I guess Rock'n'rolf missed the memo that its OK to stop sucking now.

NP: Odin "Endless Journey"

Ultra-flowery, yet rather weird power metal.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:07 pm 

NP: In Solitude- Sister. A bit uneven, but extremely satisfying overall. "A Buried Sun" is just fantastic.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:21 pm 

Iron Maiden – Futureal

My favourite Blaze track

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:31 pm 

Morbus Chron - Towards a Dark Sky, off Sweven

Very strange, indeed. Stretchy riffs, obtuse melodies, and just all around odd songwriting. Hard to swallow, but not necessarily unenjoyable.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
That's one of my favorites from that album. Its probably the jazziest thing I've heard on a power metal album, and it actually sounds good too. Have you ever heard Alhambra? That's Yuhki (Galneryus)'s side-project. Light Bringer's bassist Hibiki plays on that. The musicianship on that is even more insane. Initially, I was kinda surprised by Eau Rouge, but after hearing "Estasion'aburasadora", its inclusion wasn't much of a shock.

Alsandair wrote:
Light Bringer rules! First and last tracks have to be my favorite from that album.

Always nice to see some Light Bringer love. I picked up their latter two albums last month (finally) and was pretty much blown away. I certainly like their first two albums, but man the other two are just simply on a whole other level. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Unexpect -Words

I think it's usually a love or hate with this band for most people, but I absolutely love them. They make music like nobody else and this song in particular has a really beautiful melody strung throughout it.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Always nice to see some Light Bringer love. I picked up their latter two albums last month (finally) and was pretty much blown away. I certainly like their first two albums, but man the other two are just simply on a whole other level. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Their first two albums are pretty good (esp. Midnight Circus), but they're both out of print and very expensive. I may break down eventually and pony up the ~$100 to get "Midnight Circus", but "Tales of Almanac" is way out of my price range. Oh man, this almost looks reasonable.

They have a new album in the works (slated for a June release), btw.

NP: MinstreliX "Tales of Historia"

One of my favorite Japanese power metal albums at the moment. I can't wait for their upcoming album "Chronostrings".

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Their first two albums are pretty good (esp. Midnight Circus), but they're both out of print and very expensive. I may break down eventually and pony up the ~$100 to get "Midnight Circus", but "Tales of Almanac" is way out of my price range. Oh man, this almost looks reasonable.

They have a new album in the works (slated for a June release), btw.

Yeah, it's normally against my policy to pirate music, but I don't want to go broke just to hear an album... I'll get them one day, I promise. And holy shit, I didn't know Light Bringer had a new album on the way. Can't wait to get on those Korean imports.

Oh, I didn't mean to ignore your previous question, sorry about that. It slipped my mind. Anyways I've actually never heard of Alhambra, but I gave a few tracks a listen, and it definitely hooked me in. I'll probably pick up their debut pretty soon and give it a good listen. (Ugh, too bad 2 of their albums are out of print.)

Anyways, in honor of the recent Japanese power metal discussion: Galneryus – Beyond of the Ground

Not really sure what the title is supposed to mean, but hey the song is awesome and the whole album is too. But of course it is, you don't expect anything less from Galneryus. Gee, I'm still missing like 4 of their albums.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Yeah, it's normally against my policy to pirate music, but I don't want to go broke just to hear an album... I'll get them one day, I promise. And holy shit, I didn't know Light Bringer had a new album on the way. Can't wait to get on those Korean imports.

I guess Korean imports are a bit cheaper. For some reason, I feel like the next Light Bringer is going to be their most metal album and will be all fast songs like Hyperion and Resistance. Just call it a hunch. If you're not adverse to J-pop, you may want to give Doll$boxx a go. That's an all-female J-rock band with Fuki on vocals. Unlucky Morpheus is another band she sometimes does vocals for - I like the opening wail she does on this song.

Quote:
Oh, I didn't mean to ignore your previous question, sorry about that. It slipped my mind. Anyways I've actually never heard of Alhambra, but I gave a few tracks a listen, and it definitely hooked me in. I'll probably pick up their debut pretty soon and give it a good listen. (Ugh, too bad 2 of their albums are out of print.)

I'm hoping Fadista (their best, IMO) and Solitude get reissued this year. Siegfried is still in print and is really good too.

Quote:
Not really sure what the title is supposed to mean, but hey the song is awesome and the whole album is too. But of course it is, you don't expect anything less from Galneryus. Gee, I'm still missing like 4 of their albums.

Galneryus is one of the best bands going at the moment. I consider them the flag-bearer (tee hee) for this Japanese power metal insurgence. They have a new album due this year too. I finally got off my ass and ordered their first 5 along with that new MinstreliX - so I'll have those in early April.

NP: Roman so Words - 雪月華
Excellent bombastic, symphonic power metal.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 pm 

Stratovarius – Forever Free

Visions is a classic!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 pm 

Delain - Your Body is a Battleground

They went back to metal, and it's great. Liked only some songs off the last album but they shot back with this one.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Delain - Your Body is a Battleground

They went back to metal, and it's great. Liked only some songs off the last album but they shot back with this one.

Really looking forward to hearing the new album.

The Chasm - The Scars of My Journey

Epic ancient DM from the lost Mayan civilization...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:44 pm 

Visigoth - Final Spell

Heavy metal from Utah. It's the Gallowbraid guy's other band. I really enjoyed their EP. Now I hear that these guys are working on a full length. Will definitely pick it up when it's out.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 pm 

Hammerfall – The Dragon Lies Bleeding

Hope these guys can make another album like this someday

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:10 pm 

Cyntia "Limit Break"

I like the bass guitar on this. Come to think of it, most of the Japanese bands I listen to have pretty good, audible bass guitar. Weird... I never even cared about bass until recently. Unless my hearing suddenly changed and I notice it more now.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:28 pm 

Sonata Arctica - False News Travels Fast

Why yes, that keyboard solo does indeed kick ass. Wish it was longer :thumbsdown:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:46 pm 

Spoiler: show
Perdition666 wrote:
I guess Korean imports are a bit cheaper. For some reason, I feel like the next Light Bringer is going to be their most metal album and will be all fast songs like Hyperion and Resistance. Just call it a hunch. If you're not adverse to J-pop, you may want to give Doll$boxx a go. That's an all-female J-rock band with Fuki on vocals. Unlucky Morpheus is another band she sometimes does vocals for - I like the opening wail she does on this song.

Yeah, I normally try to go for Korean imports whenever I buy albums from Japanese bands. They're usually reasonable while importing from Japan is pretty much a crapshoot in terms of price. But yeah, I'm aware of Doll$boxx actually. They've got an interesting sound and I've liked the little that I've heard from them. Can't wait to see how the next Light Bringer album is going to turn out.

Quote:
I'm hoping Fadista (their best, IMO) and Solitude get reissued this year. Siegfried is still in print and is really good too.

It'd be nice if that happened for sure.

Quote:
Galneryus is one of the best bands going at the moment. I consider them the flag-bearer (tee hee) for this Japanese power metal insurgence. They have a new album due this year too. I finally got off my ass and ordered their first 5 along with that new MinstreliX - so I'll have those in early April.

Oh yeah, Galneryus is easily in the top-tier. Everything they do is gold. It's great.

Quote:
I like the bass guitar on this. Come to think of it, most of the Japanese bands I listen to have pretty good, audible bass guitar. Weird... I never even cared about bass until recently. Unless my hearing suddenly changed and I notice it more now.

I can confirm your observation. For some reason, Japanese bands care about the bass guitarists more than anybody else (which is a good thing of course). It's present in everything from more mainstream j-rock to the harder, more extreme stuff. It's nice.

Spoiled because the off topic conversation takes up a lot of space.

NP:Versailles – After Cloudia

This is really a great album and has a lot of varied stuff in it. This particular song is the more straightforward power metal track, but everything about it is executed well with the glorious chorus and dual lead guitars to top it all off.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:11 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Yeah, I normally try to go for Korean imports whenever I buy albums from Japanese bands. They're usually reasonable while importing from Japan is pretty much a crapshoot in terms of price. But yeah, I'm aware of Doll$boxx actually. They've got an interesting sound and I've liked the little that I've heard from them.

There's 9 PVs on youtube, as weird as that sounds. Gacharic Spin may be worth checking out too (they comprise the rest of Doll$boxx), but they're understandably way out of the comfort zone of 99% of all metalheads (including mine initially, but they grew on me). Their bassist is damn good.

Quote:
Can't wait to see how the next Light Bringer album is going to turn out.

Same here. I'm a little nervous at the speed they're churning out albums though. Mind you, I was apprehensive about "Scenes of Infinity" since they essentially lost half their band. But they rebounded nicely, thankfully. The 3 ex-members are in Art of Gradation and that band is pretty good too.

Believe it or not, that Light Bringer is NOT my most anticipated album - the upcoming Onmyo-Za is.

Quote:
Oh yeah, Galneryus is easily in the top-tier. Everything they do is gold. It's great.

All their related bands seem pretty good too. Yama-B's current band Gunbridge I like quite a bit. I need to check out Syu's other band Spinalchord sometime. Man, if their upcoming album can top "Angel of Salvation", I'll be impressed. It was probably a good idea that I started with the Sho-era albums first (to give those a fair chance). I know full and well the Yama-B albums are god-tier hehe

Quote:
I can confirm your observation. For some reason, Japanese bands care about the bass guitarists more than anybody else (which is a good thing of course). It's present in everything from more mainstream j-rock to the harder, more extreme stuff. It's nice.

I find a lot of stuff over there quite fundamentally sound. Musicianship is usually pretty good too - including J-Rock/Visual Kei. They actually do guitar and keyboard solos properly over there too. Most of the stuff I listen to from there is technically adept, but I don't find it wanky at all. Some people may think I'm on crack, but I don't consider Galneryus wanky.

The live performances over there seem pretty good too. Not many i-phones to be seen either, thank fuck! If you haven't seen this yet, someone uploaded a live Light Bringer "Noah" (taken from their live DVD). Fuki has a good stage presence and nails everything effortlessly. Nice laser show too. :)

Dudemanguy wrote:
Spoiled because the off topic conversation takes up a lot of space.

Good idea.

NP: Lightning "Five Rings"
Probably my favorite album by them. Swords, martial arts and power metal is a good combo, methinks.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 pm 

listening to Bones first album... I really hate that the bass and the guitar are hard panned left and right. I can't enjoy the songs all that much if it was done normally.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 pm 

Stratovarius – Black Diamond

Really digging Strato now, gotta love the keyboards in this song.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:09 am 

Onmyo-Za "Chimimouryou"

Yeah, my hearing has definitely changed for some strange reason. I've played this album damn near 40 times and only started to notice the dominant bass guitar now.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:23 am 

Soundgarden - Spoonman

Just a plain old great rock song.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:52 am 

Quote:
Maybe all the big Euro power metal bands are starting to write good music again

Stratovarius got it. Nemesis is an amazing album with some of their best songs since Infinite

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:01 am 

Actually Stratovarius' last 3 albums I quite enjoyed (Polaris being my favorite out of the lot - dunno why, but I dig the fuck out of that album). The last few Grave Digger have been solid too.

NP: Blood Stain Child "Last Stardust"

Poppier than usual for them, but I quite enjoy this.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 am 

What are your thoughts on the new female vocalist, Perdition666?

Nuclear Assault - Chaos
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:20 am 

I like Kiki a lot. She's probably better from a technical standpoint than Sophia, but Sophia's pronunciation was better. Supposedly Sophia's vocals were processed or something - doesn't matter, she fit perfectly on εpsilon. Personally, I don't think the vocal change is an upgrade or downgrade.

There's a side of me wishing that they would go in a poppy electro-power metal direction - I've been wanting something like that for years now and I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I guess there's some Doujin bands like Vice Principal, オレオレウサギ (Oreoreusagi), and シェイクジアス (Shaking the Earth) which come close to what I want though, but not quite there.

Its funny, I like εpsilon a lot, yet I hated Amaranthe.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Actually Stratovarius' last 3 albums I quite enjoyed (Polaris being my favorite out of the lot - dunno why, but I dig the fuck out of that album). The last few Grave Digger have been solid too.

I do agree that the last few were good, even great, but Nemesis just is amazing in my opinion

Alkonost - Vremya Yarosti

Alkonost have always been 1 of my favourite Russian bands. I am sure most of you know them already

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1422, 1423, 1424, 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428 ... 2925  Next