* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:58 pm 

theposega wrote:
Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells

Been a good minute since I last heard this. Classic atmospheric black metal.

Was just listening to that myself. It's been quite some time since I truly listened to lots of metal, I've been very excited the past few days re-listening to tons of amazing albums I just completely forgot about. This one popped up today and I was instantly reminded of how much I used to love this album. So haunting... I've actually yet to check out their other albums though, I must do that.

At the moment though, Wodensthrone - Loss.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:22 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
:np: Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro

Killer industrial black metal - it simply exists to kick your ass. :headbang:

Looks like you're on an Anaal Nathrakh kick lately. I like the band but I'm starting to get tired of their music. Desideratum was poor and I have low hopes for their next one. Vanitas is a fluke, I'm sure, because that one was alright, but ultimately after In The Constellation of the Black Widow, the band has dropped away significantly.

Rotting Christ - Rituals

Great album. One of their best and one of 2016's best. Every song is catchy, identifiable, and has wicked grooves. Can't get enough. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:30 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Vanitas is a fluke, I'm sure, because that one was alright, but ultimately after In The Constellation of the Black Widow, the band has dropped away significantly.

Yeah that's basically how I feel too. I got into them when Constellation came out and they haven't put out anything in even remotely the same league since then. I wouldn't call them a one hit wonder or anything because I like Hell is Empty a lot, but Constellation was unquestionably their high point.

Abnormality - Mechanisms of Omniscience
Step down from Contaminating the Hive Mind, for sure, but still pretty solid. I'm glad they got noticed and were able to jump from the perpetually awful Sevared Records over to Metal Blade, but it's also pretty evident that there's a much bigger label behind this one. The production is more sterile and the guitars are held back a bit, and the drums are WAY clickier and Mallika's vocals are thrown right to the forefront. I like that they're getting exposure, but I'm worried that they're going to follow the career path of Cerebral Bore as a result (get massive in a really short time, mostly due to people being blown away that a woman can growl like that and then promptly disappear when the gimmick wears off), and there's a segment near the end of the album (I can't remember which song right now, either Hopeless Masses or Cymatic Hallucinations) that sounds straight out of Maniacal Miscreation. The album is pretty one dimensional as well and very few songs stand out. Overall it's pretty solid though. Definitely serviceable, though a lot of the character and punishing grooves of Contaminating the Hive Mind are certainly missed.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:45 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Napalm_Satan wrote:
:np: Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro

Killer industrial black metal - it simply exists to kick your ass. :headbang:

Looks like you're on an Anaal Nathrakh kick lately. I like the band but I'm starting to get tired of their music. Desideratum was poor and I have low hopes for their next one. Vanitas is a fluke, I'm sure, because that one was alright, but ultimately after In The Constellation of the Black Widow, the band has dropped away significantly.

Maybe it is just my ignorance to extreme, blasting metal, but pretty much everything they've done sounds amazing, but even I know that their high points were their debut, Hell is Empty... and In the Constellation.... And I still can't fathom what people dislike about their newest, even after reading the reviews. Again, might be my taste coming in, but the heavy use of chugs and electronic sounds doesn't bother me even slightly. The band seem as strong as ever.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:36 pm 

Obituary - Infected

Killing! Send you to your grave
Dying! Soon the one they save
Tearing! Rid you of your limbs
Infection soon... infection soon sets in...

:headbang:

Fuckin' spine tingling awesomeness.

My collection

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:19 pm 

Candlemass - Tales of Creation

Goddammit this album been hitting the spot all types of ways lately.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:51 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Nothing to do with what you posted, but thanks for introducing me to Forgotten Silence. I got KaBaAch and Kro Ni Ka in the mail yesterday and they're both really good. Looking at checking out more of their stuff. They blend a whole bunch of different genres together quite expertly. Cheers! :metal:

Cool, glad you liked them. Their earlier stuff is doom metal-orientated, btw. Still can't get into Thots or Senyaan, but they're at least interesting.

NP: Angel's Ladder "The One"

Their 2nd album wasn't bad, so I'm hoping this one will be good. 80s J-prog throwback, I guess.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:04 am 

Entombed - "Time Out"

Entombed's death'n'roll scratches an itch few bands can.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:02 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Nothing to do with what you posted, but thanks for introducing me to Forgotten Silence. I got KaBaAch and Kro Ni Ka in the mail yesterday and they're both really good. Looking at checking out more of their stuff. They blend a whole bunch of different genres together quite expertly. Cheers! :metal:

Cool, glad you liked them. Their earlier stuff is doom metal-orientated, btw. Still can't get into Thots or Senyaan, but they're at least interesting.

I'll check out the latest one, then. I might work backwards after that and see how I go. :)

Vader - Litany

The best Vader album among a swarm of awesome Vader albums. Those bass drums! I feel like they need to be in a nightclub. Other than those, chuck in some awesome riffs, vicious vocals, and killer production for a 30 minute ride through fantastic death metal.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:28 am 

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

It's amazing how on-point and fiery every track here is. Tate and each member just sounds like they're at their peak in every way.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:55 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

It's amazing how on-point and fiery every track here is. Tate and each member just sounds like they're at their peak in every way.

That album is unfairly good: it's so memorable, every little detail sounds iconic and gets stuck in your head forever! :)
...sadly the quality of this one is way beyond every other album they relased.. makes me wonder if they were abducted and replaced by shittier clones of themselves :(

Taake - Natterstid (full album)

I've recently returned from a trip to Bergen: i was expecting it to be the most grim place on earth but all i've got was a small sunny town full of nice people, with breathtaking landscapes... i loved it! :lol:
i need to raise the grimness with one of the finest records that came out from that place, the whole band is on fire here!

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:55 am 

Entombed A.D - Total Death

Picked up this album last night at their show with Amon Amarth and Exmortus...and oh my fuck what a show! They played a lot of stuff off LHP (and finished off with Left Hand Path...nearly lost my damn mind!) and Clandestine, plus Wolverine Blues and some stuff off the new Entombed A.D album. L-G Petrov live is absolutely beast! Will be catching them every time they come round from here on out I imagine :headbang: And actually the new Entombed A.D album is pretty good stuff. Better than I expected, but somehow listening to the album at home seems so underwhelming compared to last night's show!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:15 am 

:np: Xandria - Sacrificium

Fucking hell. I'd forgotten how good this was!

risermiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:02 pm 

Gojira - Stranded

The chorus or the song structure is not quite like Gojira we know, but i still like it.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 pm 

Norns -- In Fog They Appear [Demo]

I had forgotten about this pre-Nattfog band until I saw iamntbatman mention them earlier. This demo is amazing!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:39 pm 

Billy Joel- The Ballad of Billy The Kid.

This is so wonderfully prog.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:09 pm 

Ironsword - Return of the Warrior

Holyshit :headbang:

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:44 pm 

Midori - Aratamemashite, hajimemashite, Midori desu

Fantastic piece of art punk. Wonderfully jazzy and noisy at the same time. Really need to find more like this.
Before this I was revisiting Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon. Something about that album clicks and something doesn't, still not sure what to think

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:01 pm 

Uroboros "Zodiac"

I think I like "Another Ark" a bit more than this, but this is still pretty good.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:12 pm 

Voivod — Forgotten in Space

Never got into Voivod but this album is quite cool so far

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:16 pm 

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos

My first time actually listening, can't believe this was released in 1989! Way heavier than any other death metal band I've heard from around then, I am pleased. However, I can see how I might get sick of it after a while. Still, I'm intrigued, might check out their newest album soon.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:33 pm 

Big Freedia -- Explode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa5IV_3fVfk

Very catchy bounce music, as I hear it's called. Never heard anything quite like it.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:41 pm 

Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back To Life

Vicious early death metal. Cannibal Corpse were the most intense band back in the early 90's. Definitely not the best band, but they were innovative.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:53 pm 

Goethes Erben -- Kopfstimme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvI3TwbGQY

Very cool darkwave, which is probably my second favorite genre, under metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:49 pm 

Jack White - Hip Eponymous Poor Boy

Ironclad hook, great piano folk tune. Loving it.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:12 pm 

Wolfsheim -- Once in a Lifetime

More darkwave, this one's a classic. Super catchy.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
Entombed A.D - Total Death

Picked up this album last night at their show with Amon Amarth and Exmortus...and oh my fuck what a show! They played a lot of stuff off LHP (and finished off with Left Hand Path...nearly lost my damn mind!) and Clandestine, plus Wolverine Blues and some stuff off the new Entombed A.D album. L-G Petrov live is absolutely beast! Will be catching them every time they come round from here on out I imagine :headbang: And actually the new Entombed A.D album is pretty good stuff. Better than I expected, but somehow listening to the album at home seems so underwhelming compared to last night's show!

Sooo jealous they didn't come to my city lol. Hopefully they'll be on tour again soon though.

Heresiarch - "Abrecan"

It's eh. So far, Diocletian's last full-length still stands head-and-shoulders over the rest of the bestial black metal from New Zealand.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:00 pm 

Peter Heppner -- Suddenly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8HmuZR6CNk

Still deciding whether I want to start a Darkwave CD collection. Metal's already eating a hole in my wallet as it is :-D

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 pm 

Khemmis - Absolution

Basically Pallbearer for people who don't like Pallbearer. As someone who loves Pallbearer, this is cool. Ain't mindblowing, but definitely a solid album with really cool vocals.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:53 pm 

Watain - Lawless Darkness

Gonna have a nice and long listening session for this album. This is only the second time I'm playing this album because of its length, but it's a damn good album. Fairly ligh for a black metal album, but it's a very strong effort.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:37 pm 

Falls of Rauros - Hail Wind and Hewn Oak

First listen; super melancholic and nostalgic atmospheric black metal. Songwriting's a bit rough, but it's a debut so that's kind of expected.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:14 am 

Criminal - "Shock Doctrine"

Muscular death/groove/thrash from Chile. I'm liking this album quite a lot on first listen. We'll see how it holds up over time...

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 am 

Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth

This album is the sound of a band slowly forming their style. Eaten Back To Life has Deicide written all over it, but this one is slightly different. Still not a fan of the first two albums.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:42 am 

Alice in Chains - Stone

Doomy, stoneriffic Alice in Chains is best Alice in Chains. God, this band is great.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:38 am 

Garden of Shadows-Oracle Moon

Such a great opener, it's so catchy.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:44 am 

BastardHead wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Vanitas is a fluke, I'm sure, because that one was alright, but ultimately after In The Constellation of the Black Widow, the band has dropped away significantly.

Yeah that's basically how I feel too. I got into them when Constellation came out and they haven't put out anything in even remotely the same league since then. I wouldn't call them a one hit wonder or anything because I like Hell is Empty a lot, but Constellation was unquestionably their high point.

Abnormality - Mechanisms of Omniscience
Step down from Contaminating the Hive Mind, for sure, but still pretty solid. I'm glad they got noticed and were able to jump from the perpetually awful Sevared Records over to Metal Blade, but it's also pretty evident that there's a much bigger label behind this one. The production is more sterile and the guitars are held back a bit, and the drums are WAY clickier and Mallika's vocals are thrown right to the forefront. I like that they're getting exposure, but I'm worried that they're going to follow the career path of Cerebral Bore as a result (get massive in a really short time, mostly due to people being blown away that a woman can growl like that and then promptly disappear when the gimmick wears off), and there's a segment near the end of the album (I can't remember which song right now, either Hopeless Masses or Cymatic Hallucinations) that sounds straight out of Maniacal Miscreation. The album is pretty one dimensional as well and very few songs stand out. Overall it's pretty solid though. Definitely serviceable, though a lot of the character and punishing grooves of Contaminating the Hive Mind are certainly missed.

I preordered this album because I have great expections taking into account the great single. I hope you arent right hehe . I´m glad they have been signed by Metal Blade, their debut was awesome and deserves more atention. It would be great if they re-release it because now its a little bit difficul to find it. :(

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:53 am 

Junius - Forgiving the Cleansing Meteor

can't wait to hear more music from this band <3

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:23 am 

Manowar - Kings of Metal

An album with many high points, but many lows too. If they would've forgot all the stupid shit and replaced it with a couple of fast metal songs - which they could do at that time - this would propably be in the top 5. Heart of Steel is still one of the best metal ballads for me, there with Sleeping Sun, Tarot's Guardian Angel etc.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 am 

Lurker of Chalice -- Minions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Q6h7kiWA8

The part at around two minutes in is some of my favorite synth work in black metal. What a bleak atmosphere.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:33 am 

Severe Torture - Endless Strain of Cadavers

this album = WINNAR

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1692, 1693, 1694, 1695, 1696, 1697, 1698 ... 2914  Next