Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 am 

Well yeah, and you are wrong as usual and do not see where I am coming from. Maiden still have a good sense of melody and the songs work better. Plus they aren't just shamelessly putting out stuff for fans of the 80s material and are trying some different things. They know they're too old to rewrite "Aces High" or something and are focusing on different aspects of the sound (more midpaced, well constructed melodies as opposed to speed and energy). Whether it works for you is a different matter entirely. I think if they did what the fans wanted and just wrote an album of four minute rockers, everyone would react like "wow, this is way worse than the 80s stuff, why bother, they should break up." That's exactly what would happen if they did what you wanted - it's kinda a no win situation. I just happen to think they've done a lot of really good stuff lately in particular.

Last edited by Empyreal on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Phobos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:01 am 

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Haven't listened to this in a long time.Metal up your Ass!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:12 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Iron Maiden - Empire Of The Clouds

I know this is even longer than Death Magnetic, but fuck it, it's better. "Empire" was my pick for song of the year last year. Such a tremendous, grandiose song.

Spooky. Listening to the very same song right now. Thought if I can get through a long-ass Metallica album, same might happen with Maiden. It's a good song IMO, propably the best on BoS.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:21 am 

If the new Metallica actually has melodies as good as Maiden writes in terms of old classic bands, and they aren't just trying to sound like they're in their 20s again, it could be good - time will tell.

Muse - Take A Bow

Addicted to this lately.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:17 pm 

Blood Incantation - Starspawn

On repeat all damn day.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:26 pm 

Running Wild - Last Of The Mohicans

Intro riff is stuck in my head, very catchy. Best RW epic in a while.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:45 pm 

dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral

What a fucking kickass death/doom masterpiece. really like the atmosphere on this album.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:55 pm 

disembowelment is something special.

NP: Mad River - Mad River

Absolutely killer psych rock

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:15 pm 

Eisbrecher - Verrückt

Pretty cool NDH band.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well yeah, and you are wrong as usual and do not see where I am coming from. Maiden still have a good sense of melody and the songs work better. Plus they aren't just shamelessly putting out stuff for fans of the 80s material and are trying some different things. They know they're too old to rewrite "Aces High" or something and are focusing on different aspects of the sound (more midpaced, well constructed melodies as opposed to speed and energy). Whether it works for you is a different matter entirely. I think if they did what the fans wanted and just wrote an album of four minute rockers, everyone would react like "wow, this is way worse than the 80s stuff, why bother, they should break up." That's exactly what would happen if they did what you wanted - it's kinda a no win situation. I just happen to think they've done a lot of really good stuff lately in particular.

As opposed to being too old to re-write Sign of the Cross, which is what they've been doing.

The ideal Maiden album should be 80% short songs and 20% long songs. Or if you're gonna make it all long songs, at least only make an album of 4 or 5 songs.

Venom- One Thousand Days In Sodom

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:44 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
The ideal Maiden album should be 80% short songs and 20% long songs. Or if you're gonna make it all long songs, at least only make an album of 4 or 5 songs.

Just like a burger.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 pm 

Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Afrika 70 - Expensive Shit

My first foray into afrobeat, and I love it.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 pm 

Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium

That verse riff in "The Arrival of Satan's Empire" is unreal.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:00 pm 

Thornbridge - What Will Prevail

I don't think Orden Ogan could sound this similar to Orden Ogan.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:36 pm 

Running Wild - Marooned

Probably my favorite song on the album, with Highland Glory and Renegade right behind it. The last part is so amazing. Heck, the whole album is basically flawless. I need this album so badly. Fucking fuckity fucking fuck I wish I could find a copy.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:40 pm 

Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare

Absolutely quintessential thrash metal. I don't have a problem with the vocals at all, and the gang shouts are fucking vicious. Love this album.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:46 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

Absolutely quintessential thrash metal. I don't have a problem with the vocals at all, and the gang shouts are fucking vicious. Love this album.

:nods: :headbang: That's my favorite thrash album and pretty much one of my all-time favorite metal albums. It checks every single box on my thrash checklist. When it comes to thrash, I find that Eternal Nightmare has the best riffs, the best bass, the best drums, the best solos, the best vocals, and yes those fucking gang shouts!!!!!!! The title track contains my single favorite guitar riff of all time.

oh, and the same song has the most badass dive bomb ever.

Last edited by stainedclass2112 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:47 pm 

Enthroned - Towards the Skullthrone of Satan

Haven't heard this in years. Forgot just how Swedish these guys wish they were. Also "skullthrone" is a cool word.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:58 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Master_Of_Thrash wrote:

:nods: :headbang: That's my favorite thrash album and pretty much one of my all-time favorite metal albums. It checks every single box on my thrash checklist. When it comes to thrash, I find that Eternal Nightmare has the best riffs, the best bass, the best drums, the best solos, the best vocals, and yes those fucking gang shouts!!!!!!! The title track contains my single favorite guitar riff of all time.

oh, and the same song has the most badass dive bomb ever.

Yeah, we all know that. Shut up already. :lol: :P

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:09 pm 

Hey! One does not simply mention Eternal Motherfudging Nightmare without me freaking out about how good it is! I'll be drooling over that masterpiece for years to come. :lol:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:47 am 

Sacral Rage - En Cima del Mal, off Illusions in Infinite Void

Irksomely wrong Spanish song title aside, this stuff is awesome. Like a Greek Helstar. Very cool.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:02 am 

TrooperEd wrote:

As opposed to being too old to re-write Sign of the Cross, which is what they've been doing.

I think tons of their recent songs have been way better than Sign of the Cross, which was always a very dry song and never got going properly. And I disagree for the most part. I think AMOLAD and TFF do a lot of really interesting things conceptually and feel very cinematic, very grandiose. Book of Souls, eh, more traditional, but I enjoy all of it. I get why people don't like em but I never agree with most fans' criticisms is all.

Deep Purple - Burn in the car - still a classic. One of those things I throw on any time these days and enjoy.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:48 am 

Crucifist - Curse Of The Plasma Hound

Dan Lilker's black metal band. Haven't heard much of this band as I only bought their CD this year. And this track suddenly played on in shuffle mode on my iTunes. Pretty decent USBM.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 am 

Suns of Thyme - Intuition Unbound
Who listens to this band here? Not metal per se but SoT play a blend of psychedelic rock with indie elements (*shrugs*). I'm quite sold with what the band is doing so much so that I'm spinning Cascades (their new album) regularly.

Xlxlx wrote:
Sacral Rage - En Cima del Mal, off Illusions in Infinite Void
Irksomely wrong Spanish song title aside, this stuff is awesome. Like a Greek Helstar. Very cool.

Hell to the yes! Big fan of Sacral Rage. They do Helstar better than Helstar does Helstar right now.

RaudtOgSvart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 am 

Nothing quite like a few beers, some antihistamines and loud Esoteric.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:30 am 

Drudkh - Wind of the Night Forests

Autumn Aurora is such a beautiful album. Perfect on this very heavy rainy day, really looking forward to autumn/winter now!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:02 am 

Procession - To Reap Heavens Apart

so, so GOOD!
(believe the hype!)

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:12 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
Drudkh - Wind of the Night Forests
Autumn Aurora is such a beautiful album. Perfect on this very heavy rainy day, really looking forward to autumn/winter now!

Perfect song! :bow:

Nothing this morning in my way to work since I could not find my pen drive and, finally, it was in my pocket. :aww:

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 am 

King's X - Please Come Home, Mr. Bulbous

This is my first time listening to this album. I've heard a few songs of it already. so far so good.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 am 

Running Wild - Bad to the Bone

Pounding the world! With a Fish of steel!!

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:21 am 

Candlemass - Sinister and sweet

Loving this EP! Levins is great and the riffage is pure Candlemass.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:32 am 

Helstar - Blood Lust

This is great guitar-wise. James Rivera's voice seems to be pretty shot, and I don't care for the slower vocal lines he does, but the album is very well done overall so far.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:42 am 

I know we're past the Iron Maiden conversation but I was busy most of the day and just want to make one last point really quick and then we can drop it until the next time, but the reason I disagree with Emp's entire argument is because I mean, just look at the reaction Speed of Light got. That was just a simple four to five minute rocker and the only criticism I remember it really receiving when it was released was that Bruce's voice is obviously strained but otherwise it was a nice, fun song. The reason that was such a welcome breath of fresh air, despite not being all that different from much of what they did immediately following the 80s (it was much more of a Holy Smoke than a Trooper, so to speak) is because we just haven't gotten a whole lot of songs like that since Brave New World. I appreciate the ambition and dedication to artistic freedom, but I (and a huge chunk of other fans) really feel like we've been getting a bunch of renditions of Sign of the Cross (and I subscribe to the ideal that X Factor was just a flat out bad album, not just bad by Maiden standards) and 4-6 minute songs stretched to three times the length by sheer repetition. It'd be much more unpretentious to just keep those songs short and simple like I feel they naturally would be if there wasn't this weird compulsion to repeat "whoa oh oh" parts a dozen times and add three minutes to the middle stretch of The Red and the Black or stretch every intro to the length of a goregrind split. I'd probably find an album full of Speed of Lights to be a shell of their former selves and probably on part with No Prayer for the Dying, which isn't a very high bar at all, but at least it wouldn't be actively annoying and arduous to listen to.

We will not see eye to eye on this and I get that, but I just want to be as clear as possible on why exactly I think post reunion Maiden is so unbearably lame.

Sabaton - The Last Stand
I've never liked Sabaton but the negative word of mouth has me curious as to just how bad could they have possibly gotten.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:53 am 

I only heard "Blood of Bannockburn" but it pretty much sounded like Maroon 5 with lame war lyrics.

Enthroned - Towards the Skullthrone of Satan

The blast-friendly black metal binge continues!

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:54 am 

Korn - Shoots and Ladders

I like this. A lot

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Sabaton - The Last Stand
I've never liked Sabaton but the negative word of mouth has me curious as to just how bad could they have possibly gotten.

I'm not curious at all. :puke:

Sadhak - Sadhak

Why has this band not released more music? The guitar tone kills me.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 am 

Wretch - Wretch

My first listen to this album has been very enjoyable. Gone are the days of epic length tracks and sword and sorcery; this is much more akin to Saint Vitus and Pentagram than it is to The Gates of Slumber. It still retains the expert musicianship as well as Karl Simon's trademark riffs and sorrowful vocals. I can see this easily becoming one of my favourites this year.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:16 am 

MammothRider wrote:
Wretch - Wretch

My first listen to this album has been very enjoyable. Gone are the days of epic length tracks and sword and sorcery; this is much more akin to Saint Vitus and Pentagram than it is to The Gates of Slumber. It still retains the expert musicianship as well as Karl Simon's trademark riffs and sorrowful vocals. I can see this easily becoming one of my favourites this year.

Indeed, good album! Just published my review on MA.

The new SubRosa, The Wounded Kings and Orphaned Land (I had no idea they had a new one) leaked so I'll be listening to this today alongside the new Helstar.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:23 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I know we're past the Iron Maiden conversation but I was busy most of the day and just want to make one last point really quick and then we can drop it until the next time, but the reason I disagree with Emp's entire argument is because I mean, just look at the reaction Speed of Light got. That was just a simple four to five minute rocker and the only criticism I remember it really receiving when it was released was that Bruce's voice is obviously strained but otherwise it was a nice, fun song. The reason that was such a welcome breath of fresh air, despite not being all that different from much of what they did immediately following the 80s (it was much more of a Holy Smoke than a Trooper, so to speak) is because we just haven't gotten a whole lot of songs like that since Brave New World. I appreciate the ambition and dedication to artistic freedom, but I (and a huge chunk of other fans) really feel like we've been getting a bunch of renditions of Sign of the Cross (and I subscribe to the ideal that X Factor was just a flat out bad album, not just bad by Maiden standards) and 4-6 minute songs stretched to three times the length by sheer repetition. It'd be much more unpretentious to just keep those songs short and simple like I feel they naturally would be if there wasn't this weird compulsion to repeat "whoa oh oh" parts a dozen times and add three minutes to the middle stretch of The Red and the Black or stretch every intro to the length of a goregrind split. I'd probably find an album full of Speed of Lights to be a shell of their former selves and probably on part with No Prayer for the Dying, which isn't a very high bar at all, but at least it wouldn't be actively annoying and arduous to listen to.

We will not see eye to eye on this and I get that, but I just want to be as clear as possible on why exactly I think post reunion Maiden is so unbearably lame.

Well, I don't really care if you don't see where I am coming from - you're perfectly in the right to have whatever opinion you like about them, and I have said before I get why people don't care for the albums. It's not like I'm saying 'I can't understand why any Maiden fan wouldn't utterly love these albums.' Though I do think TFF in particular has gotten the shaft unnecessarily from people who are friendlier towards albums like Brave New World and DOD, which I find safer, less consistent and with a lot more filler overall (songs like "No Lies" or "The Mercenary" or the BNW title track seem pretty well liked by people who hate TFF and TBOS, and that puzzles me as I find all those songs very weak for Maiden).

I think these last few albums have had a ton of great things going on and I think they capture the essence of what the band is and what makes them so good - the adventurous feel, the soaring melodies, the epic scope, and all those things on overdrive and it's quite glorious to me. Though at the same time I understand many just do not like the long songs or slightly slowed down pace, etc, so eh, nothing I can do about that.

Where I really take objection is this weird thing you in particular seem to do, where every time I bring it up, you have to pipe up with "everyone except you realizes these are shit albums, no one likes them except dads and South Americans, I'll never understand it, there's so much irony." It's like, who gives a shit anyway what the mass consensus is about an album? I never got how that somehow diminishes my own opinion. That's one of the things that has always turned me off about the community here, honestly. I've never subscribed much to the idea of guilty pleasures. These days I just don't comment much when people talk about stuff I think is awful, unless it's just in the context of a larger general discussion. No point in bickering with one person in particular about their own taste.

And yeah Sabaton's newest is utter trash. Unbelievable to me, and I actually had to go back and check to see if they were always that bad - nah, it's just that this newest one is so much worse.

Last edited by Empyreal on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am 

I don't know if Sabaton's older stuff sounds like their newest, but it in particular was poppy trash. So processed and limp that it beggars belief.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1784, 1785, 1786, 1787, 1788, 1789, 1790 ... 2914  Next