Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 am 

Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator

Sooo underrated.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:09 pm 

Dragonslayer - Run Like Hell

One of the best trad metal bands ever, that's for sure.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:57 pm 

Type O Negative - Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All)

Pretty much perfect in every way. Such an infectious tune.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:38 pm 

Spoiler: show
Dudemanguy wrote:
Sorry for being really slow. I'm rather busy these days, so I'll get back to you whenever I can.

Not a problem. Gives me time to find something interesting. For instance, the trailer for that upcoming Gauntlet album:

Already have this pre-ordered, but suffice to say, I want this bad.

Quote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Considering how productive Galneryus is, its possible! :P I'm sure the album will be at least an hour with a pile of leftovers. I did see one picture of Syu with an acoustic guitar - they actually haven't used those too often.

Well, that's true enough. I'm sure it'll be a long album by Galneryus standards too.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a single released yet. Like, Angel of Salvation had a single and EP released beforehand. You know, I wouldn't be shocked if this was a double-album.

Quote:
Quote:
A "light" and "dark" album would be cool and would live up to the band's namesake. I guess Kishi Bojin was pretty fucking dark, so them doing some lighter material would be nice. Its hard to believe this is the same band that did super-happy songs like Mezame and Maiagaru. :lol: Kuroneko is really adept at emoting both really happy and really dark songs. Its uncanny, really.

Haven't heard it yet, but the cover would lead me to believe it's a dark album (I've been deceived before; you can never be sure). I like that Onmyo-za has a habit of putting a super-light happy songs at the end of their albums after the super-serious track.

It looks like both albums have 12 tracks each, so I guess neither are gonna be 40 minute affairs. There doesn't appear to be any suites either. I guess they got burned out with suites since Kishi Bojin was a 12-part one.

Quote:
Quote:
I also tend to group "low priority" items and backorders together too. Mind you, nothing Japanese should be low priority, considering how expensive this stuff is.

That Mahatma finally came in. On the back of the package, the wonderful phrase “WRONG HOUSE” was written on the back. Seems like somebody in USPS screwed up pretty badly. Oh well, I'm glad whoever got it didn't decide to suddenly get into Japanese music and tear open the package. :lol:

Anyways, I'm listening to it right now, so no real detailed thoughts at the moment other than, “man, this is really good.”

Thank fuck that finally arrived. I think stuff like this is why I like tracking & signature required. That album is pretty rad, I think I should give it a play today. That instrumental towards the end is pretty insane. I swear one part it sounds like the guitars and drums are going in different time signatures or something. Did you want me to fire over the 2 singles they did between "Time is" and "Re:generation"? The only way to get them is from Disk Union via a shopping service and they're out of stock. Dream is a regular single (no obi) and 生きとし生けるもの is a pro-printed CDr (non-playing side looks like a real CD). Reason I'm offering is 生きとし生けるもの is my favorite song by them and its shockingly not on "Re:generation".

Quote:
Quote:
That wasn't bad at all. I think I'm too dependent on vocals though (ie, I can handle instrumentals in short doses). Nice musicianship though, as always.

I think Japan has so much stuff over there that's good, and its so expensive, I have to focus on specific areas of Japanese music.

Yeah, I generally prefer vocal-based music as well, but I've got nothing against instrumentals. As long as it's not just the guitarist running through scales with mediocre band accompaniment or something lame like that.

The amount of good music from Japan is pretty overwhelming. I sure as hell don't pay attention to any other single country as closely in terms of music.

Yeah, its pretty overwhelming. Hence why I specialized. :lol: And I'm still discovering tons of new stuff, its insane. Well, Japan's market is around the size of the US, which is pretty mind-boggling because it has like 1/3rd the people. Mind you, CDs cost 2-3 times as much, so maybe that's why. :lol:

Quote:
Quote:
Not liking Yama-B is kinda weird, well if you're into power metal. Did he give any specific complains about his voice, or just didn't like the sound of it period? Yama-B's insistence of singing in English could be a turnoff to some. That female vocalist kinda reminded me of 1000Say's female vocalist - so I'm kinda used to that sort of thing.

Nah, no specific reason. Just didn't like the sound. Granted, he's not really a metal person (too aggressive for him), but he's okay with power metal (in theory). It's just arbitrary.

What did he think of Sho?

Quote:
It was the “Rebirth” single that I listened to. Those were some pretty crazy vocals. Gee, more countries should try cute girls screaming their head off thing. Surely Japan isn't the only place with a market for this.

I think Japan is the only place in the world that can get away with this sort of thing. Its disturbing how they pull that shit off so convincingly. Over here, it'd sound utterly retarded. There certainly isn't any market for that sort of thing in the metal community over here. Hell, I'm sure something like Aldious or Light Bringer would get flak over here due to visuals alone.

Quote:
Quote:
It was actually LESS jazzy than what I was expecting. :lol: I noticed that album got some negative reviews from power metal retards, but I can't say I'm shocked. I could see some people being a bit disappointed them going in a more streamlined power metal direction (with melodeath outbursts).

That might be my fault there for mentioning it at all. I was expecting zero jazz there, so the fact I got any at all was a big surprise there. I've given it a few more listens, and I'm still not sure how I'd rank it compared to the other albums (I can't figure out if I like Reflections or Chronostrings better actually). However, I can safely say that “Soul of the Breeze” is damn amazing. There's nothing negative about ballads to me, but they really hit really hard with me. That song is easily the best ballad Minstrelix has ever done and one of their best to me. I also do really, really like “The Betrayal” and “Entropy.”

I kinda expected jazz elements from reviews I read ages ago. Not sure what my favorite album is. "Reflections" is of course good, but that one is actually a compilation, not an album. I think I like Tales of Historia and Chronostrings pretty evenly at the moment.

Quote:
Quote:
They don't have much stuff on youtube (at least the last time I checked) - it makes it difficult recommending stuff :/ I really wish they'd reissue Cecil'sphere and Melodies of Memory (both are totally out of print and really pricy), as opposed to remastering Emilia -The Last Chapter-, which sounded fine as is.

Yeah, there wasn't much on niconico or youtube. I'll probably go auction hunting again one of these days, so I suppose I might try to get some of their stuff then.

Quote:
Saki posted another song on niconico:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23852640

Not really sure if this a cover or what, but eh, not really my thing. Nothing offensive here, but too electronic for me.

I kinda dug it, but I think I'm more prone to electronic stuff. Let's hope this sort of thing doesn't get into Albion's music :lol:

Quote:
That new Aldious I'm really happy with. Truth be told I'm still waiting for my copy to show up in the mail so I downloaded a crappy mp3 copy. Production seems a bit naff, but I'm not gonna render a final verdict until I hear a rip from my CD (mp3s are often lossy/improperly transcoded trash. Anyway, Re:NO sounds better (or she suits the music more) and some of the songs seem a bit odd/experimental. Some songs are poppy as fuck, while others are pretty aggressive and downright strange at times. I like it more than their last album at any rate - we'll see if it dethrones "Determination", but its certainly a worthy album and will most likely be in my top 10 (which is gonna get pretty crowded, real quick).

Oh man, I'm too paranoid to trust random encodes. :lol: Although you don't really have a choice for some things. I definitely want to check out Aldious relatively soon (as in sometime this year :lol:).[/quote]
Yeah, as predicted, the CD version sounded a lot better. The production is still somewhat gritty/raw though, and of course too loud. But almost everything is ear-splittingly loud these days. I guess this album doesn't cause me physical pain, so that's a plus!

This album is holding out pretty well for me. I think the bass steals the show on many of the songs. I may have made the mistake (AGAIN!) of playing it too many times in too short of a period of time and burning myself out. :lol:

Aldious - アネモネ

Pretty wicked bass on this one.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:21 pm 

Dimmu Borgir - Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen

My favorite song from their first two albums.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:29 pm 

Stone - No Anaesthesia!

The second greatest metal song about or with implications of gay sex, behind only Judas Priest's Raw Deal.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:24 pm 

Black Majesty - Black Rituals of the Cain-Cult

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:17 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Stone - No Anaesthesia!

The second greatest metal song about or with implications of gay sex, behind only Judas Priest's Raw Deal.

What about Balls to the Wall?!

was just listening to Nunslaughter - God

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:58 am 

Wodensthrone - The Name Of the Wind

Glorious. From the softly delivered opening to it's soaring crescendo, this is all class - and deftly woven together. Impressive.

My collection

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:50 am 

Rhapsody-Dawn in Victory.

This song is too damn epic!! at least when you are listening to it and you realize that in 10 minutos you will be working, f*ck. :D

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:49 am 

Paradise Lost - I am nothing

then mouth :d

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:18 am 

Nunslaughter - Killed by the Cross

Listening to my Hell's Unholy Fire LP... celebrating the fact I saw 'em this weekend and lamenting that the work week is starting now :P

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:41 am 

Svart Crown - Profane

I really love the intensity of this album. Aggressive but still retains a lot of catchiness

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:41 am 

My Dying Bride - The Cry of Mankind

I'm not super familiar with My Dying Bride, but this song is quite good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:47 pm 

Grave Digger - Pendragon

First time hearing this album in full; kick ass. That chorus is a beast.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:58 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Rat in a Bucket: Ugliness and Failure

been awhile since I pulled this out and listened. And hearing it makes me miss the band all the more.

Ah man me too. And also Haarp. Have you listened to those dudes new band Gristnam yet? It's way more like RitB than Haarp was, but still fresh. I saw them open a show at Siberia late last year, and they killed it.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 pm 

Ningen-Isu "Mandoro"

This keeps getting better with each listen. I can't think of too many bands with their 17th album of this quality. Now I wish their latest CD would arrive in the mail (it hasn't even been scanned in at customs yet).

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:32 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Classy wrote:
Savatage - The Wake of Magellan

Savatage always seems to be a fitting early morning listen to me. Not sure why, but I always seem to appreciate it more when I am just waking up.

Wow...haven't thought about that album in a long time. Think I'll give it a go right now. :)

Well, there is a song called "Morning Sun." :D

I absolutely adored that album when I had just started listening to metal. These days the theatricality seems a bit bland and the pacing lopsided as hell - and I certainly understand why old-time Tage fans dislike it - but I still have to admit the incredible pomposity gives it a strange charm. And Morning Sun + the title track are absolute classics in spite of anything else on the album.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 pm 

Mayhem - Chimera

A few tracks in. Reasonably solid! I like that the liner notes give a diagram of Hellhammer's drum set up.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:19 pm 

Human Fortress - Knights in Shining Armour, off Defenders of the Crown

Joti Parcharidis has seriously fucking metal pipes. It's a real shame he pretty much disappeared from the metal scene by now.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:06 pm 

Casualties Of Cool (Devin Townsend) - Daddy

Oh my god. My ears. My ears are in love. What a brilliant album. Very likey not up everyone's alleyway, but goddamnit, it should be.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:15 am 

Incantation - Emaciated Holy Figure

Got "Mortal Throne of Nazarene" in the mail yesterday but it was a defective CD so I had to send it back. At least I have this digital download that came with the purchase to satisfy me in the meantime.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Not a problem. Gives me time to find something interesting. For instance, the trailer for that upcoming Gauntlet album:

That does sound pretty great. I’ll be putting it off until later though since there’s still so much stuff I want. Maybe in like 3 orders. My last order actually ended up growing to 18 albums, so that'll probably be all for me this month. Thank goodness I have another summer job now. Stuff is not cheap.

Quote:
I'm surprised there hasn't been a single released yet. Like, Angel of Salvation had a single and EP released beforehand. You know, I wouldn't be shocked if this was a double-album.

A single or something would be really nice. They do usually have one out by now.

Quote:
It looks like both albums have 12 tracks each, so I guess neither are gonna be 40 minute affairs. There doesn't appear to be any suites either. I guess they got burned out with suites since Kishi Bojin was a 12-part one.

Oh boy, the price for these two (this one?) might be a little steep. :lol: Damn you King Records. I don’t think anybody has higher prices than Universal Music Japan though. King at least seems to eventually mark older stuff down, but Universal Music Japan leaves everything at around 3200 yen.

Quote:
Thank fuck that finally arrived. I think stuff like this is why I like tracking & signature required. That album is pretty rad, I think I should give it a play today. That instrumental towards the end is pretty insane. I swear one part it sounds like the guitars and drums are going in different time signatures or something. Did you want me to fire over the 2 singles they did between "Time is" and "Re:generation"? The only way to get them is from Disk Union via a shopping service and they're out of stock. Dream is a regular single (no obi) and 生きとし生けるもの is a pro-printed CDr (non-playing side looks like a real CD). Reason I'm offering is 生きとし生けるもの is my favorite song by them and its shockingly not on "Re:generation".

Yeah, it was supposed to be just one quick grab off my usual schedule, but it took a bit longer. But god damn, that album was really diverse (which is good). You get the progressive metal, jpop, jazz and even djent. Crazy good; I’ve already played it lots of times. And yeah, that instrumental near the end is pretty ridiculous. I’d love to have those singles though (didn’t even know they existed).

Quote:
Yeah, its pretty overwhelming. Hence why I specialized. :lol: And I'm still discovering tons of new stuff, its insane. Well, Japan's market is around the size of the US, which is pretty mind-boggling because it has like 1/3rd the people. Mind you, CDs cost 2-3 times as much, so maybe that's why. :lol:

I’m just trying to do rock and metal, but that’s already a huge category. Not really sure if you can call that “specialized.”

Quote:

“He sounds like a girl.” Even worse. :lol:

Quote:
I think Japan is the only place in the world that can get away with this sort of thing. Its disturbing how they pull that shit off so convincingly. Over here, it'd sound utterly retarded. There certainly isn't any market for that sort of thing in the metal community over here. Hell, I'm sure something like Aldious or Light Bringer would get flak over here due to visuals alone.

Surely the “neckbeard” guys on the internet into death metal would have a taste for this. Well, I guess you’d have to actually have good bands in the first place. Over there, it seems like the bands can get gimmicky as hell visually, but still make good music. Here, it’s either one of the other most of the time.
Quote:
I kinda expected jazz elements from reviews I read ages ago. Not sure what my favorite album is. "Reflections" is of course good, but that one is actually a compilation, not an album. I think I like Tales of Historia and Chronostrings pretty evenly at the moment.

Ah, I actually try to avoid reviews for bands I already like on albums I don’t have. It’s like a spoiler for me that I don’t want to know unless the new album is really bad or something. I did recently notice that Tales of Historia has some really great basswork, so ranking these just got harder.

Quote:
I kinda dug it, but I think I'm more prone to electronic stuff. Let's hope this sort of thing doesn't get into Albion's music :lol:

There’s a line somewhere between electronic and acoustic, when crossed, causes me to lose interest. I’m not really sure where it is either. I agree with you on the last statement, of course. :lol:
Quote:
Yeah, as predicted, the CD version sounded a lot better. The production is still somewhat gritty/raw though, and of course too loud. But almost everything is ear-splittingly loud these days. I guess this album doesn't cause me physical pain, so that's a plus!
This album is holding out pretty well for me. I think the bass steals the show on many of the songs. I may have made the mistake (AGAIN!) of playing it too many times in too short of a period of time and burning myself out. :lol:

I guess some people might hate me for saying this, but I really don’t mind super-loud modern productions as long as all the instruments are clear, the tones are good, etc. I just don’t think that old albums (especially ones recorded on analog) should be remastered that way, but it’s fine for modern stuff.

Gargoyle – からっぽ
Toshi’s slap bass playing on this is pretty amazing and makes this one of my favorite Gargoyle tracks. Tsuki no Toge is probably my favorite album from them at the moment, and that’s saying a lot by Gargoyle standards.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:17 pm 

Tarot - I Rule

Been going through the old Tarot albums recently, but I'm sorry, nothing tops this one.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:23 pm 

Exhorder - Legions of Death

First time listening to this band, introduced to it by that Pantera thread. It's like a really good mash up of Pantera's vocals and Slayer's guitars. I'm enjoying it so far.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:25 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
Exhorder - Legions of Death

First time listening to this band, introduced to it by that Pantera thread. It's like a really good mash up of Pantera's vocals and Slayer's guitars. I'm enjoying it so far.

I was listening to that song yesterday, actually. One of my favorite thrash riffs of all time at 0:45.

Right now I am trying to listen to the new Epica album. I don't know so far..."Victims of Contingency" does rule though.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:25 pm 

World Burns to Death - The Sucking of the Missile Cock LP

It's a crust fucking punk night.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 pm 

Meshuggah - Rational Gaze

This band has never been not awesome for me. Fitting that the unwitting creators of djent are the only band to ever do it right.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:59 pm 

Exhorder - Death in Vain, off Slaughter in the Vatican.

Haven't touched thrash in a long time. This, however, is a terrific way to go back to it. SITV's guitar tone stills rocks my shit.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:38 am 

Triptykon-Boleskine House

What a song, what an eerie and beautiful female vocals....

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:52 am 

Pentagram - Vampyre Love

Used to like Be Forewarned as Pentagram's best album, but then I understood the greatness of Day of Reckoning. A little muddy sounds this has, but the riffs are monstrous.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:18 am 

In Flames - Moonshield

This is one of the albums of my youth, I'm really glad I own it on CD now.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:33 pm 

Theatre of Tragedy - Der Tanz Der Schatten

Practically perfect gothic metal.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:34 pm 

Alhambra - A Far Cry To You

A 14 minute power/progressive metal epic. Great stuff.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:08 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

That does sound pretty great. I’ll be putting it off until later though since there’s still so much stuff I want. Maybe in like 3 orders. My last order actually ended up growing to 18 albums, so that'll probably be all for me this month. Thank goodness I have another summer job now. Stuff is not cheap.

Yeah, and that one probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon (being on Spiritual Beast and all).

Quote:
Quote:

A single or something would be really nice. They do usually have one out by now.

I don't recall "Phoenix Rising" having anything preceding it either.

Quote:
Quote:

Oh boy, the price for these two (this one?) might be a little steep. :lol: Damn you King Records. I don’t think anybody has higher prices than Universal Music Japan though. King at least seems to eventually mark older stuff down, but Universal Music Japan leaves everything at around 3200 yen.

They'll probably be 3000 yen each. This is Japan we're taking about here :lol: VAP used to have those Galneryus CDs at full price for the longest time. Its only recently where they're available for multibuy discount at HMV Japan.

It looks like one of the Onmyo-Za CDs has a wind theme and the other one a thunder/lightning one.

Quote:
Yeah, it was supposed to be just one quick grab off my usual schedule, but it took a bit longer. But god damn, that album was really diverse (which is good). You get the progressive metal, jpop, jazz and even djent. Crazy good; I’ve already played it lots of times. And yeah, that instrumental near the end is pretty ridiculous. I’d love to have those singles though (didn’t even know they existed).

I'm uploading those singles as we speak and will PM you the link later. There's like only one exclusive song on each though, but they're worth hearing.

I may've misinterpreted a blog post - their guitarist may not be leaving (thank fuck). That's the hazard of google translate coupled with paranoia :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

I’m just trying to do rock and metal, but that’s already a huge category. Not really sure if you can call that “specialized.”

Metal (most variants) and pop/rock here. Anything gothy I'd probably give a shot too, esp. if it has female vocals. J-prog I wouldn't mind getting more into too. Hell, I've recently started to acquire a taste for oddball Japanese thrash metal. Terror Squad seems to be pretty rad and I already own 5 Manipulated Slaves CDs.

Quote:
Quote:

“He sounds like a girl.” Even worse. :lol:

Oh man... :lol: I shudder what he'd think of Akira (Prophesia/Azrael) haha

Quote:
Quote:

Surely the “neckbeard” guys on the internet into death metal would have a taste for this. Well, I guess you’d have to actually have good bands in the first place. Over there, it seems like the bands can get gimmicky as hell visually, but still make good music. Here, it’s either one of the other most of the time.

Yeah, the imagery seems to be an extension of the actual music. Like, I'd still like Aldious as much if they had no visual component.

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, I actually try to avoid reviews for bands I already like on albums I don’t have. It’s like a spoiler for me that I don’t want to know unless the new album is really bad or something. I did recently notice that Tales of Historia has some really great basswork, so ranking these just got harder.

I need to go back and give that a go while only focusing on bass. For some reason with some albums, I'll really notice the bass, but other days I won't. Weird haha

Quote:
Quote:

There’s a line somewhere between electronic and acoustic, when crossed, causes me to lose interest. I’m not really sure where it is either. I agree with you on the last statement, of course. :lol:

It almost looks like Albion recorded a new song. Maybe we can expect a single from them soon?

Quote:
I guess some people might hate me for saying this, but I really don’t mind super-loud modern productions as long as all the instruments are clear, the tones are good, etc. I just don’t think that old albums (especially ones recorded on analog) should be remastered that way, but it’s fine for modern stuff.

Case-by-case basis with me. Like anything with a dynamic range of 5-6 (dunno if you use that foobar plugin or not) is usually ok with me. Like, Light Bringer is brickwalled to hell, but that's never bothered me. Mary's Blood "Azure" and Tears of Tragedy's last one are actually too loud for my tastes and are borderline painful for me to listen to though. Its strange, I have a few albums with a DR rating of 3 and they don't bother me that much (latest SoundWitch and Gacharic Spin).

Old albums that get a loudness boost almost always sound like total ass to my ears.

Liv Moon "Symphonic Moon"

Not as good as Golden Moon, but this one turned out to be a lot better than I expected.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:45 pm 

Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad

A few months ago I released I've never listened to Taake so I'm making my way through the discography slowly. This is my favorite so far, I love it when black metal bands aren't afraid of catchy-as-all-fuck melodies.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Yeah, and that one probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon (being on Spiritual Beast and all).

Well, I have it currently slated for my order next month, so only about a week after it is released. I think I'm going to switch to one big order (12-18 CDs) instead. You spend quite a bit less on shipping that way.

Quote:
I don't recall "Phoenix Rising" having anything preceding it either.

Nah there was an EP for it.

Quote:
They'll probably be 3000 yen each. This is Japan we're taking about here :lol: VAP used to have those Galneryus CDs at full price for the longest time. Its only recently where they're available for multibuy discount at HMV Japan.

It looks like one of the Onmyo-Za CDs has a wind theme and the other one a thunder/lightning one.

Man, Jupiter's CD was only in the stupid SMH-CD format, so I had to pay even more for that one. Everything on Universal Japan costs so much. These guys are wringing me dry.

Those themes sound really cool though. Not sure exactly how that translate sonically though. I guess thunder one would be heavier and the wind one would be lighter.

Quote:
I'm uploading those singles as we speak and will PM you the link later. There's like only one exclusive song on each though, but they're worth hearing.

I may've misinterpreted a blog post - their guitarist may not be leaving (thank fuck). That's the hazard of google trnslate coupled with paranoia :lol:

Oh thank god. It's way too soon to just break up right after the debut. They need more material.

Quote:
Metal (most variants) and pop/rock here. Anything gothy I'd probably give a shot too, esp. if it has female vocals. J-prog I wouldn't mind getting more into too. Hell, I've recently started to acquire a taste for oddball Japanese thrash metal. Terror Squad seems to be pretty rad and I already own 5 Manipulated Slaves Cds.

Well Gargoyle are the kings of strange Japanese thrash metal. :lol: Those guys sound interesting though, I'll check them out.

Quote:
Yeah, the imagery seems to be an extension of the actual music. Like, I'd still like Aldious as much if they had no visual component.

Sometimes I wonder what some of these guys are trying to convey. Some of them seem just random.

Quote:
I need to go back and give that a go while only focusing on bass. For some reason with some albums, I'll really notice the bass, but other days I won't. Weird haha

It's the same for me. It randomly appears and disappears for me. I'm not sure why; I guess the music is just that busy.

Quote:
It almost looks like Albion recorded a new song. Maybe we can expect a single from them soon?

Man, that's pretty fast. Well, as long as it sounds good.

Quote:
Case-by-case basis with me. Like anything with a dynamic range of 5-6 (dunno if you use that foobar plugin or not) is usually ok with me. Like, Light Bringer is brickwalled to hell, but that's never bothered me. Mary's Blood "Azure" and Tears of Tragedy's last one are actually too loud for my tastes and are borderline painful for me to listen to though. Its strange, I have a few albums with a DR rating of 3 and they don't bother me that much (latest SoundWitch and Gacharic Spin).

Yeah, I do like the production on some albums that are ridiculously brickwalled. I dunno any specifics about recording techniques or anything like that, but just do a good job and I'll be happy. :lol:

MinstreliX - Cruel Mockery

Awesome power metal. Love the bass slaps in this one.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 pm 

Visigoth - Final Spell

While we have a couple of folks that think there's no true metal worthwhile being made these days with one even opting to listen to the new mediocre Judas Priest album than anything new, I'm headbanging, fist pumping, horns held high (my wife thinks I'm having some sort of fit) to this ass kicking metal EP. If you don't know about these guys, find out!!

Like your reviews?

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:34 am 

Desecresy - Chasmic Transcendence

My first listen and contrary to what folks have said, its not a bad album.
gotta love the rhythm they create.
I dig, just like the previous one

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 am 

Death Strike - Mangled Dehumanization

True death metal :np:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1464, 1465, 1466, 1467, 1468, 1469, 1470 ... 2914  Next