Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 pm 

If I could get a real number I would. Unfortunately, that's impossible so I just did the best I could with the resources available. Although, I'd imagine for every horrible myspace deathcore band there's probably another horrible myspace brutal death metal band. We could make a new discussion asking the owners of the site to only include bands with full albums. Though, I'm sure the archives would shrink faster than a penis let free in the cold northern woods if we did that...

I think the point is still pretty valid that the duration of existence for each genre clearly has a correlation with the number of good albums that that genre has.

russianguy192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:31 am 

i do not like punk, i do not like hardcore infact i hate it.I hate hardcore dancing it looks totally for little pussies. When i listen to metal i like to bang my head ( headbang )

Though i enjoy deathcore and metalcore,i like death metal,power metal,some folk metal,symphonic metal, technical/experimental/ brutal death metal, even some groove metal.

I dislike black and doom metal it is just not my cup of tea.
I like to wear black clothes, have a skinhead hairstyle or spikey hairstyle or just wear a black cap, i dont have long hair and i just think it looks ick..as it does not appeal to me and i just dont like the hairstyle.

What am i?

Some people make stupid assumptions that all deathcore/metalcore listeners are emos,sceners,hardcore wannabes. I do not understand this... why sterotype..all listeners into one bunch..

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:59 am 

Black clothes, skinhead, cap. Heh, that paints a hardcore tuffguy picture to me. :lol:

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:35 am 

Quote:
Some people make stupid assumptions that all deathcore/metalcore listeners are emos,sceners,hardcore wannabes. I do not understand this... why sterotype..all listeners into one bunch..

Stereotyping is necessary.

russianguy192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 am 

oh well whatever then...floats your boat... i guess...

I personally just think its not necessary to sterotype and judge people based on their musical tastes... but in your eyes it may seem right...

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 am 

russianguy192 wrote:
oh well whatever then...floats your boat... i guess...

I personally just think its not necessary to sterotype and judge people based on their musical tastes... but in your eyes it may seem right...

I didn't mean it in that way, it's not right to stereotype, but it's necessary.

russianguy192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:43 am 

I do not consider myself a hardcore kid, but maybe i do dress like one, my attiude does not represent one. i personally hate most emos,scene kids and hardcore kids. I still need a proper explaination...

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:47 am 

russianguy192 wrote:
I do not consider myself a hardcore kid, but maybe i do dress like one, my attiude does not represent one. i personally hate most emos,scene kids and hardcore kids. I still need a proper explaination...

Stereotyping and generalizing makes things easier, easier to judge people without knowing them.

russianguy192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 am 

Now i understand, but i do agree with you in a way,but i just see it morally incorrect to judge someone. It may make things easier but still i see it wrong to make assumptions.. because not everyone is the same they are all individuals... get what i mean?

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 am 

russianguy192 wrote:
Now i understand, but i do agree with you in a way,but i just see it morally incorrect to judge someone. It may make things easier but still i see it wrong to make assumptions.. because not everyone is the same they are all individuals... get what i mean?

I also think that stereotyping is stupid, but not for the same reasons you said... meh, we're derailing this thread.. If you want to continue this, you can pm me

russianguy192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:02 am 

dont worry i was just stating my arguement, i do agree with what your saying but im just saying. true no need to derail this thread... next subject..

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:38 am 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
Ok what about Cattle Decapitation and Tribulation? Or is CD to grindy? Still both bands I mentioned first are death metal bands to me. Atheist were active in the late 80s and mostly in the early 90s (I know they are coming back) and bands like Devourment, Mortician and Disgorge where all forming around that time.

Devourment formed in 95, but didn't release anything till 97 and no actual album till 99. So counting from first release or first album, still looking at a decade or so difference. Mortician formed in 89, but didn't adopt the style they're recognised for until 96 with Hacked Up For Barbeque. Disgorge don't have an album till 99 either (they have a demo from 92, but its basically a clone of early Suffocation).

So assuming we go from first Atheist album to first Mortician album, we're looking at about 7-8 years and two subgenre crosses (death/thrash -> trad DM -> brutal death metal). So by my understanding of the times involved that'd make for an accurate comparision if we count both metalcore and deathcore (as well as all the mostly-core hybrid) bands as acceptable responses.

I'm not familiar enough with Tribulation to make a call there.

The thing is because death metal is such a huge influence on the deathcore genre, it doesn't take a wild leap of imagination to come up with the idea to combine for example jazz-death with metalcore or prog/experimental death with metalcore. Seems to me the bigger part of the deathcore scene are incapable of doing so, or just don't want to since the Suicide Silence sound is tha shit.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:55 am 

Rottenrectum wrote:
The thing is because death metal is such a huge influence on the deathcore genre,.

What are the death metal bands that influence deathcore bands?

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:58 am 

White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
The thing is because death metal is such a huge influence on the deathcore genre,.

Deathcore is a mix of death metal and metalcore. If you think deathcore bands aren't influenced by death metal bands then you are obviously stupid. Then if the clone bands are only influenced by slightly older deathcore bands, that's another thing. Deathcore as we know it would not exist if not for death metal.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:01 am 

Rottenrectum wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

Deathcore is a mix of death metal and metalcore. If you think deathcore bands aren't influenced by death metal bands then you are obviously stupid. Then if the clone bands are only influenced by slightly older deathcore bands, that's another thing. Deathcore as we know it would not exist if not for death metal.

Do you think you could answer the question and stop making assumptions. I don't listen to deathcore.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:12 am 

White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

Do you think you could answer the question and stop making assumptions. I don't listen to deathcore.

Listed influences (taken from official myspace sites):

All Shall Perish:
Dying Fetus, Blood Has Been Shed, Deicide, Dissection, Skinless, Hatebreed, Internal Bleeding, Suffocation... and thousands more

Veil Of Maya:
Meshuggah, Spawn Of Possession, Death, Cynic, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Martys, Gorguts (and others from completely different genres)

The Red Chord:
Cynic, Death, Human Remains, Suffocation, Immolation, Crowbar

Heaven Shall Burn:
Bolt Thrower, At The Gates, Earth Crisis, Amon Amarth, Rammstein, Day Of Suffering, Kreator, Napalm Death, All Out War, Merauder, Liar, Dismember, Unanimated, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Edge Of Sanity and many more

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 am 

Rottenrectum wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

Listed influences (taken from official myspace sites):

All Shall Perish:
Dying Fetus, Blood Has Been Shed, Deicide, Dissection, Skinless, Hatebreed, Internal Bleeding, Suffocation... and thousands more

Veil Of Maya:
Meshuggah, Spawn Of Possession, Death, Cynic, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Martys, Gorguts (and others from completely different genres)

The Red Chord:
Cynic, Death, Human Remains, Suffocation, Immolation, Crowbar

Heaven Shall Burn:
Bolt Thrower, At The Gates, Earth Crisis, Amon Amarth, Rammstein, Day Of Suffering, Kreator, Napalm Death, All Out War, Merauder, Liar, Dismember, Unanimated, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Edge Of Sanity and many more

I had a feeling it was more melodic death and brutal death bands. Thanks. And before anyone goes ape over that, I know there are a few actual death bands there. Those examples pretty much tell me it's a heavier version of melodeath with reep vocals.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm 

White_Witch wrote:
I had a feeling it was more melodic death and brutal death bands. Thanks. And before anyone goes ape over that, I know there are a few actual death bands there. Those examples pretty much tell me it's a heavier version of melodeath with reep vocals.

Do you even know those bands?

Melodeath bands: At The Gates, Amon Amarth, Unanimated and if you stretch the term, Dismember.

(Brutal) death bands: Dying Fetus, Spawn Of Possession, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Immolation, Napalm Death (grindcore), Human Remains.

EDIT: Sorry I misread a bit, obviously you know them but there are way more normal and brutal death bands. It's only the last one who had any melodeath bands.

catalepsymanagement
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:08 pm 

This is MOTGLchris.
Why the hell did I get blocked?

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:16 pm 

White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

I wouldnt go as far to say that certain bands influenced deathcore but Id say what ever death metal bands a band listens to would be their influences. Thats also not to say that these bands are only influenced by death metal and/or metalcore either. The influences would varry depending on the band.

cadena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:31 pm 

ive heard some deathcore bands like suicide silence and despised the reasons that i hate this generation

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:23 pm 

RevBau wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

I wouldnt go as far to say that certain bands influenced deathcore but Id say what ever death metal bands a band listens to would be their influences. Thats also not to say that these bands are only influenced by death metal and/or metalcore either. The influences would varry depending on the band.

Given the examples, they don't take much influence from death metal at all.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 pm 

White_Witch wrote:
RevBau wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

In my opinion thats a fair amout of a death metal influence. However those are only 4 bands out of the millions of deathcore bands out there and its not like every band takes all their influences from one genre. Im sure you could find a Death/Thrash band that takes a lesser influence of death than thrash or thrash than death.

Last edited by RevBau on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:30 pm 

RevBau wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
RevBau wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

Those are only 4 bands out of the millions of deathcore bands out there and its not like every band takes all their influences from one genre. Im sure you could find a Death/Thrash band that takes a lesser influence of death than thrash or thrash than death.

I think there's a slight difference, and it's that death came from thrash. Deathcore didn't come from death metal.
Thrash bands became death, and black. Deathcore is not an extention of that, and infact reverts towards mdm and other genres that already existed.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm 

White_Witch wrote:
RevBau wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
RevBau wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

Those are only 4 bands out of the millions of deathcore bands out there and its not like every band takes all their influences from one genre. Im sure you could find a Death/Thrash band that takes a lesser influence of death than thrash or thrash than death.

I think there's a slight difference, and it's that death came from thrash. Deathcore didn't come from death metal.
Thrash bands became death, and black. Deathcore is not an extention of that, and infact reverts towards mdm and other genres that already existed.

I think the origin doesnt matter in this case. Regardless of a genre's origin if its made up of 2 different genres then they will have more/less of an influence from either side- Let alone what other outside infleunces a band has. 'Death Metal' is such a broad genre in it self that a Deathcore band could be taking its influence from any sub genre within it.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:00 pm 

Just because a genre managed to steal a genre name doesn't mean it has anything to do with it. Just like with Melodic death, there is no death. Having not heard dc I can't say this for certain, but from the examples provided it's much the same story.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 pm 

Well if you ever do actually take the time to listen to a deathcore band it may make more sence to you. The above mentioned bands are more on the melodic side of deathcore except for The Red Chord and Heaven Shall burn who have a more metalcore sound. Using Better Examples- Saying Job For A Cowboy, Beneath The Massacre, Whitechapel, Animosity, Catalepsy, Oceano, (etc) sound nothing like Death Metal seems silly. They are Deathcore but there is a defenite Death Metal relation.

eFUNKelstine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:25 am 

Crick wrote:
The title of this thread infuriates and confuses me. Why in the fuck do people spell -core stuff with "x" in the middle? Especially hardcore. I always see it as "Hardxcore" or "hxc". And my mind always reads it as "Hard times core", which is strangely irritating.

I see what you mean. And the only genre that your interpretation of the 'x' even makes a bit of sense with is mathcore, and thats only because of its name

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:24 pm 

One thing that confuses me with the -core bands is the fact that I've heard many people say they are largely influenced by Nu-metal bands, when I see hardly no resemblance in sound.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:35 pm 

eFUNKelstine wrote:
Crick wrote:
The title of this thread infuriates and confuses me. Why in the fuck do people spell -core stuff with "x" in the middle? Especially hardcore. I always see it as "Hardxcore" or "hxc". And my mind always reads it as "Hard times core", which is strangely irritating.

I see what you mean. And the only genre that your interpretation of the 'x' even makes a bit of sense with is mathcore, and thats only because of its name

I refuse to acknowledge "mathcore" as a genre. It's a stupid made-up name coined by Protest the Hero fans who have never heard of Breadwinner. The proper term is Technical *insert genre here*, nothing more.
Hehe, foreskins.

nggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:39 pm 

cloud197 wrote:
One thing that confuses me with the -core bands is the fact that I've heard many people say they are largely influenced by Nu-metal bands, when I see hardly no resemblance in sound.

Bring me the Horizon did a Slipknot cover, iirc

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 pm 

I don't remember hearing this at all. I'll look into it.

AltoVariago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:57 pm 

and suicide silence covered deftones' engine #9

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 pm 

nggr wrote:
cloud197 wrote:

Bring me the Horizon did a Slipknot cover, iirc

Thats only 1 out of millions of bands. The Old School metal heads despise the groovey breakdowns and whatnot within Deathcore witch is why they say it resembles nu-metal but Ive never heard anyone say that Deathcore is influenced by nu-metal. Im sure youl find atleast one deathcore band (maybe Suicide Silence?) that takes influences from nu-metal, and the same goes for other genres as well.

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:31 am 

Carnifex
All Shall Perish
Whitechapel
Burning The Masses
The Faceless
Through The Eyes Of The Dead

kmiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:39 am 

White_Witch wrote:
Just because a genre managed to steal a genre name doesn't mean it has anything to do with it. Just like with Melodic death, there is no death. Having not heard dc I can't say this for certain, but from the examples provided it's much the same story.

Why would you try to say that deathcore has nothing to do with death metal and then admit that you haven't heard any of it?

Some deathcore bands (The Partisan Turbine, Whitechapel, Despised Icon) have a ton of death metal influence and at times are plainly just death metal. There are some that don't have as much to do with death metal (Suicide Silence, Bring Me The Horizon, Rose Funeral), but it's a broad and crowded enough subgenre that sweeping generalizations don't do any good.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:46 am 

Plenty of deathcore bands are very death metal influenced. It's not that they have nothing to do with death metal, it's just that their take on it is really watered down.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 am 

russianguy192 wrote:
mentalselfmutilation wrote:
The Black Dahlia Murder or Darkest Hour probably.

Anyway, the genre sucks. I wouldn't waste time analyzing it, its roots, history, etc.

It really does'nt suck unless you have an open mind and look for the right bands. Most people tend to sterotype deathcore on a few bands or one bands performance. There are actually quite alot of decent deathcore bands, you just gotta look for them. I would'nt say it sucks but i would say its pretty new to alot of people which why so many people hate it. I assure you would find something you may like.

I personally love it. But so far ive kinda got bored of it so ive been mainly listening to brutal death metal, technicial/experimental death metal.

Deathcore mostly worships the biggest bands in the Brutal DM scene and throws some random wankery in occasionally to appear "technical". Breakdowns are lame as hell too.

My Last.fm

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 am 

Meh, most "deafcorez" bands are just metalcore bands to me

russianguy192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:38 am 

TheYardstick wrote:
russianguy192 wrote:
mentalselfmutilation wrote:
The Black Dahlia Murder or Darkest Hour probably.

Anyway, the genre sucks. I wouldn't waste time analyzing it, its roots, history, etc.

It really does'nt suck unless you have an open mind and look for the right bands. Most people tend to sterotype deathcore on a few bands or one bands performance. There are actually quite alot of decent deathcore bands, you just gotta look for them. I would'nt say it sucks but i would say its pretty new to alot of people which why so many people hate it. I assure you would find something you may like.

I personally love it. But so far ive kinda got bored of it so ive been mainly listening to brutal death metal, technicial/experimental death metal.

Deathcore mostly worships the biggest bands in the Brutal DM scene and throws some random wankery in occasionally to appear "technical". Breakdowns are lame as hell too.

well good for you, i love breakdowns and i cant get enough of them. You either hate them or love them...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next