Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:33 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:
Lecroix was a beast! I wish he could have been stayed as leas vocalist.
Good to see I'm not the only one who loves Lecriox's voice. I could listen to that album all day long. While I think Lord Worm is the best vocalist the band ever had, I also think he's just a tad overrated. I also think Lecroix is very underrated. I would've loved to hear him on a studio album with Cryptopsy

If you haven't heard it, check out Spasme's only album with Martin Lecroix, it gives you an idea of what it could have been, not as unique as Lord Worm but infinitely better than anyone else they have had.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:45 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:
Good to see I'm not the only one who loves Lecriox's voice. I could listen to that album all day long. While I think Lord Worm is the best vocalist the band ever had, I also think he's just a tad overrated. I also think Lecroix is very underrated. I would've loved to hear him on a studio album with Cryptopsy

If you haven't heard it, check out Spasme's only album with Martin Lecroix, it gives you an idea of what it could have been, not as unique as Lord Worm but infinitely better than anyone else they have had.
I've heard it. It's been a while though, but I really enjoyed it :)

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:52 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:

Wicked :D I usually suggest it just because surprisingly enough not many people know about Spasme, who were one of the best French Canadian DM bands imo.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm 

This seems like one of those situations where they're just jamming out to The Unspoken King, fucking enjoying life and shit, happy with the music and he just stops for a second and just says, "WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING?! What is this shit? What the fuck!"

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:59 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:

Wicked :D I usually suggest it just because surprisingly enough not many people know about Spasme, who were one of the best French Canadian DM bands imo.
Agreed.

You're actually the first person who's even mentioned Spasme to me. I found the CD in a local metal shop in San Antonio, TX. There was a sticker on it, telling who the vocalist was, and i picked it up, just to check it out. I love it. Good to see someone else has heard of them

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:53 am 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Wrath_Of_War wrote:
DeadXManiac wrote:

Agreed.

You're actually the first person who's even mentioned Spasme to me. I found the CD in a local metal shop in San Antonio, TX. There was a sticker on it, telling who the vocalist was, and i picked it up, just to check it out. I love it. Good to see someone else has heard of them

Yeah back years ago one of my very good friends did a lot of ordering through Neoblast Records, which if I remember correctly, was Luc Lemay's now defunct record label. Any who he (my buddy) was hugely into Quebecois Death Metal and recommended the album to me, and while I was at a Cryptopsy show after their hiatus and reemergence with LW, I picked up the Spasme cd for 4 bucks from their merch booth. It was a great purchase for the price and one of the best French Canadian DM albums in my collection.

I recommend this cd to everyone, just get Spasme's Deep Inside anyway you can because I have no idea if it is still in print.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:23 am 

there was a time when none were more vile than Cryptopsy.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:08 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:

1. No death metal album after 1996 is as awesome as None So Vile
2. There isn't a single vocalist, past or present, who has the same level of awesomeness as Lord fucking Worm
3. Flo still rocks, even if the music is shitty
4. That bassist with the wierd name still rocks

Apart from the shitty music and the fact that Lord Worm isn't in the band.. Cryptopsy's still pretty vile.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:09 am 

Good for Alex. I might be the only person in the Archives that (gulp!) onws The Unspoken King. It was for sale at five bucks or something, and I decided to buy it (after staring at it for ten minutes or so). Cryptopsy died when Levasseur left, although Alex handled things nicely on Once Was Not. Now Eric and Flo should off the band and keep Cryptopsy on Death Metal's Hall of Fame. Hopefully, the Worm's black metal project will get rid of the bitter taste of Cryptopsy downfall.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:34 am 

Wait...I've seen a couple posts about Lord Worm starting a black metal band? I haven't heard anything about this. Is this true?

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:31 am 

I did read an interview some months back, where Lord Worm said that he was never interested in death metal and listened to black metal almost exclusively.

Edit:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/Blabbe ... emID=71783

Would be awesome if he did start a BM band.

Khomaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 am 

Cianan wrote:
Where exactly do you see this on their myspace?

In a bulletin

Wet Pussy wrote:

?

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 am 

Heh, haven't ever given Nile a chance. But (IMO, and I know many are going to disagree with me) the only album that gives NSV a run for its money is Molesting the Decapitated. I'm not saying that all the brutal death and tech death albums released after NSV suck, I'm not saying that at all. I like a lot of tech and brutal death, but NSV is probably one of the biggest holy cows and I'm yet to come across a tech death album as intense, as insane, as VILE as NSV.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 am 

Khomaniac wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

?
No way.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:57 pm 

With all of the talent in Quebec I'm shocked that Cryptopsy couldn't have found more capable musicians to round out the new lineup. Sure, I'll bet they're all technically efficient, but it seems the band as a whole had no idea what they were doing.

And the whole notion that the fans "don't understand it" is just fucking insulting. Gorguts (to keep the example in Quebec) went WAAAAY further out on a limb and they absolutely nailed what they were going for.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:57 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:

I'd have to disagree with you there. :P Although NSV rules, and that Nile album is good too, while I'm at it. Just not on NSV's level.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:04 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
With all of the talent in Quebec I'm shocked that Cryptopsy couldn't have found more capable musicians to round out the new lineup. Sure, I'll bet they're all technically efficient, but it seems the band as a whole had no idea what they were doing.

And the whole notion that the fans "don't understand it" is just fucking insulting. Gorguts (to keep the example in Quebec) went WAAAAY further out on a limb and they absolutely nailed what they were going for.

I was thinking about that as well. Quebec seems to be an ecosystem capable of sustaining great death metal bands without getting annihilated in the process. About the "fans don't understand it" issue, I agree with you. I own some deathcore albums that I believe are good (The Faceless, Burning the Masses, etc.) but what Cryptopsy gave us was a piece of shit. Good deathcore is possible. The Unspoken King was just terrible.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

I'd have to disagree with you there. :P Although NSV rules, and that Nile album is good too, while I'm at it. Just not on NSV's level.

As usual, I didn't say what I really wanted to..

Quote:
I'm not saying that all the brutal death and tech death albums released after NSV suck, I'm not saying that at all. I like a lot of tech and brutal death, but NSV is probably one of the biggest holy cows and I'm yet to come across a tech death album as intense, as insane, as VILE as NSV.

Khomaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:36 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
Khomaniac wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

?
No way.

That Nile album seems to be my most go to album when it comes to DM. I just threw it out there as a suggestion.

MortDivine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:50 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:

2. There isn't a single vocalist, past or present, who has the same level of awesomeness as Lord fucking Worm

Apart from the shitty music and the fact that Lord Worm isn't in the band.. Cryptopsy's still pretty vile.

1. Gorguts' Obscura, The Chasm's Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph, Stargazer's The Scream That Tore The Sky, Portal's Outre`, Crimson Massacre's The Luster of Pandemonium, Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris, etc.
2. Tomas Lindberg pre-Terminal Spirit Disease, Daniel Corchado, Esa Linden, etc.
3. His skill obviously is still there yes
4. ^

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:53 pm 

MortDivine wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:

1. Gorguts' Obscura, The Chasm's Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph, Stargazer's The Scream That Tore The Sky, Portal's Outre`, Crimson Massacre's The Luster of Pandemonium, Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris, etc.
2. Tomas Lindberg pre-Terminal Spirit Disease, Daniel Corchado, Esa Linden, etc.
4. ^

All those albums you mentioned range from great to excellent, but None So Vile is called None So Vile for a reason.

MortDivine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
MortDivine wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:

4. ^

All those albums you mentioned range from great to excellent, but None So Vile is called None So Vile for a reason.

The issue I have with NSV is while it is technically impressive, incredibly flashing, and very interesting on a surface level it lacks the songwriting strengths that make an album like Deathcult absolutely timeless and second only to the almighty TRitSiO. It just, for me, is all form and no substance.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:20 pm 

That's strange, because I think NSV is a brilliant album on every level. AtG's debut is all form and no substance.

MortDivine
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:25 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
That's strange, because I think NSV is a brilliant album on every level. AtG's debut is all form and no substance.

AtG's debut is certainly not all form and no substance. Technically it might not be on the level of NSV, but compositionally and artistically it is flawless.

inb4yousaythesameaboutNSV

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:47 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
but None So Vile is called None So Vile for a reason.

This x 4 billion

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 am 

Honestly never been much of a fan of Auburn, none of the albums he was on were particularly impressive, but he was still pretty close to being one of the classic members. But it is a sad loss to a band which has made two of my favourite albums ever. Hopefully he doesn't disappear into nothingness like every other person who has left Cryptopsy in the past, it'd be interesting to hear what he makes on his own.

Really disappointed to hear about Jon doing something with DiSalvo, first I've heard of it, and well, I really don't want to ever hear from DiSalvo again. Lacroix was really good and would have made a good, vocalist. Apart from the long screams which he admittedly butchered he was a good middle ground between Worm and your standard growler. Better than the second incarnation of LW.

And as for the Nile album, it just like all the other Nile albums is horribly bloated and overlong. You can be as complex and have as many Egyptian interludes as you want, but if you're still doing a Brutal Death metal album there is no reason at all to make it run for an hour under any circumstances. It ruined stuff as good as Obscura, Nile doesn't stand a chance. Don't get me wrong I really like AotW, but I can't call it brilliant because of the way it's so long and drawn out.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:

And as for the Nile album, it just like all the other Nile albums is horribly bloated and overlong. You can be as complex and have as many Egyptian interludes as you want, but if you're still doing a Brutal Death metal album there is no reason at all to make it run for an hour under any circumstances. It ruined stuff as good as Obscura, Nile doesn't stand a chance. Don't get me wrong I really like AotW, but I can't call it brilliant because of the way it's so long and drawn out.

I almost had a kneejerk reaction after reading that first sentence but in all fairness I don't think I've ever made it through the whole album in one listen. I think their composition style warrants a longer running time than most death metal bands (those slow crushing songs/parts would stretch things out alone) but I think you're right in that it hurts the album. However I really can't think of a bad song on it and I couldn't imagine cutting anything.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 am 

MortDivine wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

AtG's debut is certainly not all form and no substance. Technically it might not be on the level of NSV, but compositionally and artistically it is flawless.

inb4yousaythesameaboutNSV

I'd have to agree with Mr. Pussy on this one.

And yeah, agreeing with genghis here. There is better Death Metal.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 am 

Sokaris wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

I almost had a kneejerk reaction after reading that first sentence but in all fairness I don't think I've ever made it through the whole album in one listen. I think their composition style warrants a longer running time than most death metal bands (those slow crushing songs/parts would stretch things out alone) but I think you're right in that it hurts the album. However I really can't think of a bad song on it and I couldn't imagine cutting anything.

I do love the fact that they're a modern tech death band who can understand that it can't be mindless shreding the whole time, the fact that they have restraint is a godsend. I just don't think they do restraint all that well, and some of the slower sections get tedious when you get a few too many in a row. I don't think the album needed more than 45 minutes. Incantation do crushing sections and limit their albums to that length, I think Nile should try to aim for something a little closer to that. that album in particular didn't need another song after the title track, that song is the epitome of closer.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:04 am 

My only problem with Nile (I actually consider them one of my favorite bands) is that they have pretty poor album flow. I don't feel there's any attempt at song cohesion. They're all good to great songs, but they don't really fit together (or perhaps just their order placement is off...)...

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:31 am 

I'm honestly with those who think he's quitting because he hates Cryptopsy's new direction. TUK was such a phenomenal amount of fail that I don't know why the rest of them didn't just go out. Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with in the future.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:38 am 

He'll be getting royalties from The Unspoken King now though, so it's no wonder why he waited until the album was out to leave. :D

Smart move Alex!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:59 am 

Nolan_B wrote:

It's so fitting that he made Flo Hitler and added the art line, given that Hitler was a failed artist.

As far as Nile goes, I will never understand why everyone loves AoTW so much. Their worst album by far, if Karl's pre-release descriptions didn't completely give it away beforehand I would have been hugely disappointed.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

It's so fitting that he made Flo Hitler and added the art line, given that Hitler was a failed artist.

As far as Nile goes, I will never understand why everyone loves AoTW so much. Their worst album by far, if Karl's pre-release descriptions didn't completely give it away beforehand I would have been hugely disappointed.

Annihilation was about half good songs, half boring drek, but it's still not as bad as Ithyphallic or whatever, that album was complete horseshit.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:42 pm 

I happened to love Ithyphallic.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:46 pm 

Awesome. This thread has turned into a discussion about Nile.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm 

That's probably not a bad thing. I haven't much of their stuff, but it can't be worse than some of Cryptopsy's stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:45 pm 

Ithyphallic owned the shit out of The Unspoken King.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Ithyphallic owned the shit out of The Unspoken King.

From the reviews and the song I heard (I think I heard a song off TUK..may have heard a few songs...can't remember), there isn't much that doesn't own that album.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

Annihilation was about half good songs, half boring drek, but it's still not as bad as Ithyphallic or whatever, that album was complete horseshit.

You mean the album where they actually brought back the Middle Eastern sounds and atmospheric tendencies that they completely neglected on AoTW (despite them being the main reason people bought all of their earlier albums)? It was definitely their second worst album, but saying it was lower than AoTW is laughable.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next