Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:14 pm 

Probably my favorite style to emerge in recent years is the "psychedelic death metal" sound, for lack of a better term. Tribulation basically perfected it with Formulas of Death, but Morbus Chron, Chapel of Disease, Execration (and Horrendous to a certain extent) had very worthy entries dipping their toes into the expansive microgenre. Now Venenum have dropped Trance of Death which is extremely similar to Formulas of Death (I'm guessing the title similarities aren't an accident) but it's still refreshingly awesome and intense.

https://venenum.bandcamp.com/album/trance-of-death

It still seems like very much a niche style, and I can't remember any records from 2016 that fit this mold, but I think it's the best thing to happen to death metal in a long time. I just love the weird, proggy sections, long instrumental breaks, abrupt tempo changes, and thick sense of groove that these bands bring to death metal.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:23 pm 

it took me a few spins to see the teeth of the ep, but i learned to love it... i think this one might be a similar thing - it's definitely way different from the ep, much like those other similar albums/bands you mentioned

i've listened to the album a couple of times, and all i can tell you so far is that i like it, tho' it's really not what i was expecting

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
It still seems like very much a niche style, and I can't remember any records from 2016 that fit this mold

If this "microgenre" as you say really hits the sweet spot, then you may give Cadaveric Fumes' Dimensions Obscure EP a try. Personally, the album did absolutely nothing for me, primarily because of its dusty and incredibly weak guitar tone. One album that that doesn't seem to get as many mentions in this context is Obliteration's Nekropsalms, a monster of an album and very close to the very top of death metal released in this millennium.

Venenum sounded alright at first, but nothing really got a grip on me. Will spin it more times for sure.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm 

Ah, good call on Obliteration. I have Black Death Horizon and totally forgot they're up this alley because I haven't listened to it in years. Will have to revisit that and check out their earlier stuff too. I remember having those exact same thoughts about Cadaveric Fumes as this is definitely a sounds that requires kickass guitars and a thick production.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm 

Funny that you mention Tribulation. Parts of the new Venenum actually reminds me Children of the Night quite a bit, although this is still death metal obviously. Nevertheless I wouldn't have minded a logical following up to the s/t EP but so far this new album definitely delivers. I wonder how the band will sound live, too - as I'll go see them on April 6th.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm 

i enjoy the sound, keep seeing hate about it here and there though.

tomcat_ha
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm 

Im very much into this style so ill name drop a couple too many.
Gigan, Mithras, Formulas fatal to the flesh by morbid angel, Diskord and Primordial Dominion by Skeleton of God might be the peak of the entire style.

CorpseFister
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:35 pm 

Cool, I'll have to check this and some of the other bands mentioned out. Morbus Chron's Sweven really blew me away when I first heard it.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 pm 

The style is pretty hit and miss with me, but just heard one of their tracks on a radio show and wasn't bad. Still not too sure about it but will probably check out another song or two.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Gigan, Mithras

I don't consider these two as part of the same movement. Gigan and Mithras are much more technical and extreme, whereas the other bands are more proggy and atmospheric. Same galaxy, for sure, but entirely different planets.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:05 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
Gigan, Mithras

I don't consider these two as part of the same movement. Gigan and Mithras are much more technical and extreme, whereas the other bands are more proggy and atmospheric. Same galaxy, for sure, but entirely different planets.

i really don't see diskord being similar either (altho' i'm only thinking of the debut - not sure if the other album was way different)

tomcat_ha
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 am 

they are definitely going for a psychedelic sound just in a more technical way.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:58 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
"psychedelic death metal"

Interesting, time to do some research.

This sounds pretty legit, I don't understand the hate at all.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:07 pm 

I also don't get the hate.
I do however get a strong death n'roll vibe from this. It is well mixed (disguised?) with progressive passages and murky-ish production. It's not usually my kind of death metal, but I'm enjoying this album. Have to say I never heard of this band before.
I wouldn't rank it among the best to came out this year (Ominous Circle and Shaarimoth come to mind) but it's certainly not a bad release by any means.

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm 

Can confirm it's a cool album. It's definitely a bit thrashy, even a bit rocking at times, but it's not what most people would consider death'n'roll. I do really enjoy this proggy psychedelic death metal thing that Morbus Chron, Tribulation and now these guys do. Excellent musicianship and some really ambitious song structures. This makes me think Tribulation with a hint of Horrendous, but they're definitely their own band.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:49 pm 

I really, really like the track on display. Will definitely order. Ordering from the states is so damn expensive though.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:44 pm 

This is pretty good, but the the best album for this style is Obliteration's Nekropsalms, in my opinion.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:40 am 

I've been itching for this kind of death metal since Necrovation's self-titled, and I fucking love Sweven and The Formulas of Death from Morbus Chron and Tribulation respectively.

Just added their BigCartel page to their MA profile, ordering soon. Thanks for bringing these guys to my attention, this album is incredible. Hearing a lot of Morbus Chron in the more chaotic parts.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 am 

Getting some strong Horrendous vibes here. That's a compliment. I'll keep an eye on this band. :)

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 am 

Thank you for posting this. I've been searching for anything in this style that can hold a candle to The Formulas of Death, and it's mostly been fruitless. I had filed these guys away as black/death and never looked back. I'll check out the new one.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:58 am 

Wow, long time since I've seen a mention of Skeleton of God, I recently listened to Primordial Domination for the first time in forever. Fuck, it's so good, though I wouldn't compare it to the more old school sounding bands being thrown around in this thread, it's much more psychedelic than the, in my opinion, old school progressive death metal-sound of Obliteration, Morbus Chron etc. In this style Execration reigns I must say, Odes of the Occult is such a goddamn monster, great album.

failsafeman wrote:
Watch out guys, it's a 20-year-old who's got the world all figured out!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am 

I didn't know they had a new one. I got the earlier album awhile back it's one that I don't think of often but is solid. I went on and purchased this one.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

bolmeteus6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm 

I dig the new album a fair bit more than I expected to. Good stuff.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 pm 

Are you familiar with Temisto? Pretty much Tribulation worship, and they are pretty solid.
Youtube: show

ZomGolTo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:56 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I really, really like the track on display. Will definitely order. Ordering from the states is so damn expensive though.

Order through Anja Offensive. The LP is $20 after shipping costs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:47 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Are you familiar with Temisto? Pretty much Tribulation worship, and they are pretty solid.
Youtube: show

enjoying this far more than that last tribulation album
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:48 pm 

Makes sense since the Morbus Chron dude worked on that Temisto album. I've had it on my to-buy list for ever but now I definitely want to check it out. Similarly, Tribulation's former side-project Stench definitely fits in this realm though it is a bit more straightforward.

https://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/album/venture
I also just realized the Morbus Chron dude was fucking 17 when he starting writing their music. That is bonkers, he clearly has a very long career to still look forward to.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 pm 

ZomGolTo wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

Order through Anja Offensive. The LP is $20 after shipping costs.

Only to the states. It's ok though my girlfriend has a PO box in the US so I did that. Saves me buckets on shipping.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 pm 

I remember these guys releasing their self titled EP and I absolutely loved it. Kept checking up on them for the longest time to see if they were ever going to release anything new, and eventually forgot about them for the most part, but here they are 6 years later and they drop this! Currently listening to my second playthrough and I love it so far. It's a lot different than what I was expecting, but I really think they nailed it. One of the better albums of the year for me.

Reply to topic