Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SweetLeaf95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 pm 

Lately I have been reading reviews on albums, EPs, and demos that sound very good based off of the review, and I want desperately to listen to them. It's strictly really obscure stuff. But I don't know where anyone is finding them. It's fine if I can't find a physical copy, like I usually get, but I can't even find some of it on Itunes, bandcamp, or anywhere else on the internet for digital download. For example, I read a positive review on "Repulsor - Trapped In A Nightmare" and loved the one song that I heard by them on bandcamp. But I can't find the EP anywhere else nor any other songs. Anyone who listens to a lot of obscure metal have any suggestions?

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:02 pm 

Yeah, sometimes things take a while to show up on YouTube and downloading blogs. If what you're looking for was released by a label, just email them and ask where they sent copies to see if you can track them down. If it was released by the band, just shoot them an email and ask if they have any copies. It's not that tough to find things usually. Just takes a bit of digging!

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:51 am 

There aint a definitive answer but try checking the MA entries for the bands/labels often you will find web pages in the related links tabs or at least a contact address. As mentioned if in doubt try firing an email if you cant find what you are looking for.

In the case of Repulsor their label uses soundcloud and has 3 more tracks from the cd streaming.
https://soundcloud.com/oldschool-metal-maniac

It doesn't look like their record is available digitally, but you can buy their cd directly via their facebook page.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 am 

There's the 'random band' option here on M.A., otherwise what I do also is use Facebook to add random bands via the recommendations. I used to buy mags such as Terrorizer to keep up with the latest outputs but these days it gets costly buying a montly magazine just to have the option of (possibly) finding a handful of artists out there you might like. Whereas the internet has a near-infinite amount of metal blogs, zines, pages, websites, etc to look through.

SweetLeaf95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:08 am 

Alright I'll try that, thanks a lot!

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:32 pm 

You can buy the CD from the band for $9 http://repulsor.bigcartel.com/product/t ... ghtmare-ep

Two more sellers on Discogs, Dark Descent previously had copies of it, among other places. That's hardly obscure. :lol: Is that what counts as obscure now? Bands who aren't on iTunes, whose CDs can only be found with a Google search, from three separate merchants including the band themselves? Fuck, that's not hard.
Hi guys, I submitted my band Mercelel couple days ago and it got rejected by Zodijackyl today. After doing multiple google researches of his name around the archives, he doesn't look like the most liked person on this site so I can't trust his opinion whatsoever.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:46 pm 

OP, if you're not too attached to getting a physical copy, have you dug around on last.fm? The few bands that choose to put their music up for free download tend to be the real unknowns. Some are unknown for a reason, but hey it's free. Roll the dice.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm 

The Metal Detektor can also be a great resource, it's a search aggregator for metal distros and other online music stores.

http://themetaldetektor.com/

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:23 pm 

You can find a lot of obscure Metal at Vintage Vinyl and they usually ship the same day. http://www.vvinyl.com/

Also Ebay and Discogs.

OneRodeToAsaBay
The Doll With the Hideous Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:59 pm 

Looks the forum might have helped you get ahold of this particular record but in general: sharpen your google fu, be prepared to contact labels/bands directly, and trawl through second-hand reselling sites like ebay, discogs, or amazon marketplace. So long as you're polite, you won't have a problem getting a hold of it legally if they still have copies but if that fails it's likely it'll crop up on soulseek, vkontake, or various pirating blogs if you're patient. There's only very few pre-internet age bands that I've ever sought out that I couldn't find at all. Anything that is publicly released since 2000 or so will almost certainly be online somewhere.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:56 pm 

If I have even the slightest bit of trouble finding something (i.e. it's not in stock in one of the distros I regularly place orders with), my first course of action is always, always to contact the band. Lots of small record label deals include the band getting a stack of CD's to sell themselves, and oftentimes they have a more difficult time unloading them than online distros. Not to mention if you buy things this way you're supporting the band directly, which is cool.

GLOAMING - Debut album out now! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:02 am 

Um, this isn't really worth stating a new thread over, but I have a question only vaguely related to the nature of this thread.

What percentage of the money spent on an album do the actual band receive through Bandcamp?

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 am 

Assuming it's a totally independent release, the band gets 85% of digital sales and 90% of physical sales.

GLOAMING - Debut album out now! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:29 am 

Ah thanks. That's actually a lot better than I expected to be honest. (I thought it would be somewhere around 20-40%)

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:17 am 

No way. Even greedy iTunes only takes a 30% cut, I belive.

Reply to topic