Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 am 

Mastodon will be releasing Emperor Of Sand' Album In March. I will definitely be checking this one out.
The track listing for the album is as follows:

01. Sultan's Curse
02. Show Yourself
03. Precious Stones
04. Steambreather
05. Roots Remain
06. Word To The Wise
07. Ancient Kingdom
08. Clandestiny
09. Andromeda
10. Scorpion Breath
11. Jaguar God

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 am 

First single

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mastod ... ans-curse/

Plagued
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:50 am 

I'll probably be checking it out, that single sounds more similar to Crack the Skye than it does to their latest output, so it might be interesting.

That cover looks really weird though, the proportion of the arm seems outta whack and it has this cheap computer rendered image going on

Forever damaged

blackmantram
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:43 pm 

Didn't one of this band's members say he hated metal and he didn't want anything to do with it? That song (and cover artwork) are pretty metal influenced to be honest.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:49 pm 

Once More Round the Sun was dope, so I'm excited to see what they can do with this new one. The cover reminds me of a cheesy fantasy book cover. I love that shit.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

That's a really cool cover, just like most of their other albums. That being said, this band just never resonated with me, though Leviathan is a decent album. "Megalodon" is exactly what the title of the song is, but overall, Mastodon haven't impressed me very much. Their riffs just aren't as good as I expected, and Brann Dailor is just one of the most annoying drummers in metal. I'll try to give them another chance sometime, but I'm not sure my opinion will change.

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 pm 

Why anyone would still support this band after Brent hinds trashes metal in many interviews? Fuck him that piece of shit! I hope people will throw bricks at him on their upcoming tour.

Electric Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:26 pm 

Last I read Brent Hinds did that just to piss the interviewer off. But back to the music, it sound like a cross between old school Mastodon and their more modern prog rock sound.

TheExodusAttack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:36 pm 

Fuck yeah! Haven't heard the song yet but I bet this will be another great album. These guys have been the best mainstream metal band for the past decade or so. Apparently Once More around the Sun is considered a slump but I don't feel that way at all. "Aunt Lisa" was such a jam.

The art is interesting, especially the return of the classic, decorated logo. Can't unsee the tiny arm tho.

Steve Nebraska wrote:
Why anyone would still support this band after Brent hinds trashes metal in many interviews? Fuck him that piece of shit! I hope people will throw bricks at him on their upcoming tour.

Hey man I know metal "really means a lot to you" but you might feel differently once you hit 10th grade.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:57 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Didn't one of this band's members say he hated metal and he didn't want anything to do with it? That song (and cover artwork) are pretty metal influenced to be honest.

Yeah that was a good laugh.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:04 pm 

I actually really liked that track, really surprising since I haven't liked anything since Blood Mountain (and a couple I songs from Crack the Skye).

And Brent himself said he was only joking and he only hates generic and "cookie cutter" metal.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:55 pm 

1. Journalists will write anything.

2. That doesn't sound like a song from someone who hates metal

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:01 pm 

I thought that song kicked ass. Really looking forward to something that's more like their earlier material.
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:17 pm 

You don't need to like metal to make it... Quorthon stated he was only listening to classical music when he wrote and recorded Twilight of the Gods.

Last album was good, I think I'll get this one on CD though. I bought Once More Round The Sun on vinyl and it feels like an album that should all flow together as one piece, breaking it up into 4 sections is actually quite disruptive to the listening experience.

FearAbsentia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:25 pm 

Really like the album cover, and the new song is pretty good too. It sounds like a mix of Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye, hopefully that single is at least somewhat representative of the rest of the album.

Metal is forever!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:41 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
You don't need to like metal to make it... Quorthon stated he was only listening to classical music when he wrote and recorded Twilight of the Gods.

And in other interviews he praised Bethlehem and Pungent Stench :lol:. What a crazy guy!

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:45 pm 

I never really gave this band a chance but that new single is pretty damn good fam.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:31 pm 

Wasn't the quote that he hates "95% of metal" or something like that? That seems really reasonable considering the band and their tastes. I can remember about 10 years ago when they were touring with Slayer and they said that they weren't really into Slayer's stuff, either. I couldn't care less about this band but I wouldn't really have a go at someone for stating that they're not into most of what's going on in the metal scene... I'd imagine a lot of professional musicians feel the same way. It just wouldn't necessarily be blown way out of proportion in a blabbermouth article.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Fuck yeah! Haven't heard the song yet but I bet this will be another great album. These guys have been the best mainstream metal band for the past decade or so. Apparently Once More around the Sun is considered a slump but I don't feel that way at all. "Aunt Lisa" was such a jam.

The art is interesting, especially the return of the classic, decorated logo. Can't unsee the tiny arm tho.

Steve Nebraska wrote:

Hey man I know metal "really means a lot to you" but you might feel differently once you hit 10th grade.

It's not about being metal means a lot it's the guy way of saying I hate metal and try to blame inteView people for taking things he said out of context. I have a few friends that knew this scum bag personally since day one and he always hated anything metal and laugh about bands like Iron Maiden etc. Hell, he said to others he plays metal just to mock it because he know the fans would suck it up and now to him. Too me it's shitty to be that way.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:48 pm 

Song sounds fine, the vocals are a little odd but that's just a feature of the band at this point (but seriously whoever does those nasally cleans (Bill?) needs to a sing a whole lot less). Sounds like a blend of Crack the Skye (which sucked) and Once More Round the Sun (which was great), so I'll probably like it a reasonable amount but hate certain parts of it.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:19 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Song sounds fine, the vocals are a little odd but that's just a feature of the band at this point (but seriously whoever does those nasally cleans (Bill?) needs to a sing a whole lot less).

Which vocals are you referring to? I think Bill's the only one in the band who doesn't sing. I'm guessing you are talking about Brann.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 pm 

They all do vocals but Bill only does backups.. actually I'm pretty sure it's Troy who does those nasally vocals, I might have to give the live DVD another spin to confirm.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:55 pm 

It could be Troy. I feel link Brent's voice is obvious enough because you can hear his beard in his voice, but the last time I saw them live (after The Hunter) I was so far away from the stage I couldn't make out who was singing what.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:28 pm 

Steve Nebraska wrote:
I have a few friends that knew this scum bag personally since day one and he always hated anything metal and laugh about bands like Iron Maiden etc. Hell, he said to others he plays metal just to mock it because he know the fans would suck it up and now to him. Too me it's shitty to be that way.

No, that's not true. There are photos of him onstage wearing Iron Maiden merch, posts he made on Instagram praising Carcass, videos of him hanging out with Jeff Hanneman and praising Slayer as one of his biggest influences. My take on it, is that he just has a really weird sense of humor and is basically a troll. Not that any of this matters in the long run, but I just figured I would try to set your mind at ease.

volutetheswarth
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:46 pm 

Fairly boring single. Has some of the usual Mastodon staple I guess.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:23 pm 

Once More Round The Sun is definitely the most accessible album this band has released so far. The direction of this album should be interesting to say the least. Overall I feel that Mastodon has been fairly balanced in combining progressiveness with aggression and they have been evolving pretty well. I still don't think they are going to top Crack The Skye which I feel is their most ambitious album to date.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:09 pm 

MetallicaTrueFan wrote:
I still don't think they are going to top Crack The Skye which I feel is their most ambitious album to date.

Dude, have you even heard Blood Mountain? I like Crack the Skye and all, but there's no way in hell long, meandering songs and a cleaner prog rock aesthetic are more ambitious than that whacked-out acid trip.

New song sounded pretty great. Had Mastodon's trademark "bendy" riffing style mixed in with the more focused rock direction they've used in their recent years. My only wish is that Brann gets a some time to really show off what he's made of on the upcoming album, because when that guy really starts going all-out with his fills he's one of the best and most distinct drummers in metal.

Also, gotta say Mastodon is a textbook example of how you can sell out as a metal band and still kick ass. That being said, The Hunter was their only misstep, wasn't a big fan of it. Quite enjoy everything else they've done, though.

SKYLESS AEONS -- Melodic death/black metal. Era of Famine out now!

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 pm 

I agree with almost everything RTD said. Crack the Skye is probably seen as super ambitious because it has some songs that breach the ten minute park and it's more overtly proggy than anything else, but at the same time it's really the only album they ever did that focused almost exclusively on one style. Calling Blood Mountain a whacked out acid trip is pretty much perfect, it's so fucking madcap and off the wall, I love it. Hell something like Bladecatcher is at least fifty times more ambitious than anything on Crack the Skye. And yeah, I also miss Brann's fill-happy lunacy. Those first three albums I don't think he goes one cycle without some over the top fill taking over the last measure. He's like Bill Ward on speed.

I really don't think I can think of a mainstream metal band that's better than Mastodon at this point in time (I'd argue Lamb of God a few years ago but I haven't cared for their last two). And I don't mean mainstream like popular for us, like Amon Amarth or something. I mean mainstream like somebody who watches MTV for the dumb reality shows knows who they are and has at least heard a song or two and can recognize who they are. Say what you will, they're pretty much the closest thing to Metallica in the early 90s that we have right now, and they're pretty excellent all things considered. They've never been afraid to experiment and every album to date sounds wholly singular, none of them sound like any of their other albums.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:20 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Song sounds fine, the vocals are a little odd but that's just a feature of the band at this point (but seriously whoever does those nasally cleans (Bill?) needs to a sing a whole lot less). Sounds like a blend of Crack the Skye (which sucked) and Once More Round the Sun (which was great), so I'll probably like it a reasonable amount but hate certain parts of it.

That's definitely Brent. I think his vocals are pretty neat and I missed them on OMRTS. Also very surprised to see someone who likes OMRTS more than CTS. I like OMRTS but it's not something I've listened to more since the first month it came out. Blood Mountain and Leviathan are my favorites.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:24 pm 

Man I've just had every vocalist wrong for years :lol:

Metantoine
bébé ours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:25 pm 

It's not surprising to see people who prefer OMRTS over CTS, it's a different record, rooted in rock but still full of metal riffs while CTS is prog rock!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Man I've just had every vocalist wrong for years :lol:

Troy is the guy you heard exclusively on the albums pre Crack the Skye. It is also Troy from 0:20 to 0:39 on Sultan's Curse. Brent is after him (not the whole song of course). Brann is in there somewhere but I can't be assed to find him. He is the one singing the chorus on the song Highroad from OMRTS and many other songs on that album.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:06 am 

Song was pretty good. Hopefully it's less like OMRTS, but in the very same article one of the band members says he feels it's basically a continuation so maybe this one song will be the outlier and I'll hate everything else.

Album cover's a bit strange, not the ugliest art they've ever had (OMRTS takes that trophy), but the layout is reminiscent of older Mastodon album covers, so that's nice. Just hope the rest of the music will provoke the same feeling.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:44 am 

blackmantram wrote:

I love when metal musicians say that...they're full of shit. Like when Kvarforth is all "blah blah black metal sucks, I don't listen to metal myself" but somehow is always wearing metal shirts and promotes metal bads.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 am 

So Troy is the bellowing one, Brent is the whiny one and Brann basically sounds like Jerry Cantrell... got it now :D

MawBTS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:25 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Wasn't the quote that he hates "95% of metal" or something like that?

I'd bet that most people on this forum hate 95% of metal too.

Listen to random tracks under Soundcloud's "metal" tag and you'll see what I mean.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:47 am 

Oh, the guy on the cover is obviously Trump; just look at his tiny hands!

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:00 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I agree with almost everything RTD said. Crack the Skye is probably seen as super ambitious because it has some songs that breach the ten minute park and it's more overtly proggy than anything else, but at the same time it's really the only album they ever did that focused almost exclusively on one style. Calling Blood Mountain a whacked out acid trip is pretty much perfect, it's so fucking madcap and off the wall, I love it. Hell something like Bladecatcher is at least fifty times more ambitious than anything on Crack the Skye. And yeah, I also miss Brann's fill-happy lunacy. Those first three albums I don't think he goes one cycle without some over the top fill taking over the last measure. He's like Bill Ward on speed.

I really don't think I can think of a mainstream metal band that's better than Mastodon at this point in time (I'd argue Lamb of God a few years ago but I haven't cared for their last two). And I don't mean mainstream like popular for us, like Amon Amarth or something. I mean mainstream like somebody who watches MTV for the dumb reality shows knows who they are and has at least heard a song or two and can recognize who they are. Say what you will, they're pretty much the closest thing to Metallica in the early 90s that we have right now, and they're pretty excellent all things considered. They've never been afraid to experiment and every album to date sounds wholly singular, none of them sound like any of their other albums.

I can see what you're saying about their albums. For some reason CTS really stuck with me and is my favorite album of theirs but you're right that it's not super ambitious but more stereotypically proggy. Your comparison of Mastodon as Metallica is super interesting and something I'll have to think about and talk about with my buddies that listen to them.

A write-up on Invisible Oranges basically says 'Sultan's Curse' sounds like a middle-tier, Mastodon by numbers song. Which I think sums it up nicely. Not bad, not great. Just kinda exists and is fine.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:06 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Say what you will, they're pretty much the closest thing to Metallica in the early 90s that we have right now, and they're pretty excellent all things considered.

I've never thought about that before, that's interesting. Personally I think Ghost fits that bill better, and are more recent. I've been to a couple of their shows and I noticed a lot of what I'd refer to as "Instagram/tumblr girls" and lots of normal people mixed in with metalheads there. Not judging, just a harmless observation :lol:.

flowa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:00 pm 

Sounding great!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next