Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 pm 

I've always wondered what former band members have been up to when they leave a band. What I want to know is that if these musicians are actively playing music still, or have they got something else in the backburner. For example, Iced Earth's previous albums had a wonderful lead guitarist in Randall Shawver, I dont think he's really doing any side projects, so I've always been curious about what he's been doing.

Also, the band Thaurorod. These guys have had some really good demos with a great baritone vocalist named Vladimir Lumi. I dont know what happened to him after he left the band, and I've lost interest in Thaurorod now that they have some male Elisa Martin wannabe in as their vocalist.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:45 pm 

Chuck Biscuits!

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 am 

I'd love to know what Jason Mendonça is doing now...

captaincrunchy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:24 am 

I read an interview from a couple years back about Randall Shawver, so you can dig into that. Got details on why he left IE, what he did after, and what he's up to now (not much).

Whole thing here:
http://www.rockoverdose.gr/news_details.php?id=14273

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:

Oddly enough he's a network engineering manager.
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/jason-mendonca/2b/148/856

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:09 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
EpicSceptic wrote:

Oddly enough he's a network engineering manager.
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/jason-mendonca/2b/148/856

Using LinkedIn to find "famous" people who are otherwise absent of personal social media accounts is weirdly entertaining.

aloof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 pm 

(Re: Jason Mendonça) he also makes the odd live guest appearance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YOIy03M6BQ (skip to 3:49)

that's a good thread idea, unf we need more info than questions and it's not very likely :(

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 pm 

Martin Ain of Celtic Frost. There were rumors forever that he'd be making music again in some form or another after CF split up, then he owned a bar or something, now you just never hear about him.

Alfredo Hernandez. What an incredible drummer. Played on the last Kyuss album and the first QOTSA album. He's had a couple miscellaneous appearances on other desert rock albums but I'm surprised he's not much much more prolific and I wish he was invited to some supergroup and stat touring.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm 

Obligatory Zeeb Parks mention.

ChildClownOutlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 pm 

captaincrunchy wrote:
I read an interview from a couple years back about Randall Shawver, so you can dig into that. Got details on why he left IE, what he did after, and what he's up to now (not much).

Whole thing here:
http://www.rockoverdose.gr/news_details.php?id=14273

Oh man, what a shame. I always liked him.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:49 pm 

I got another: Aaron Randall from Annihilator?

Where the hell did this guy go? He did that one album with Jack Frost around '99 or so and poof, gone.

dametalone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am 

I always wondered what happened to Peter Lindgren of Opeth

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:30 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
Martin Ain of Celtic Frost. There were rumors forever that he'd be making music again in some form or another after CF split up, then he owned a bar or something, now you just never hear about him.

Martin did own a bar in Switzerland. I don't know if he still does, but I know he had it before and after the the CF reunion. Tom called it "a tiny metal bar" in one of his blog posts (he mentioned that Franco from CF worked there after the CF break up). I always liked Martin's contributions to CF. I wish he did more music but he seems to have vanished back into the real world. The only time you hear about him now is when Tom is badmouthing him.

Diamhea wrote:
Chuck Biscuits!

Chuck doesn't play anymore. The most frequent reason cited is bad knees. I have no idea what he does for a living but he must have some sort of job. According to Eerie Von, even in the best of times none of those guys besides Glenn made any money from the Danzig records (which was part of the reason for the split of the original line-up; those guys survived off of touring revenue and Glenn wanted to scale back touring) and I doubt D.O.A. royalties are that big.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am 

Apparently Martin Ain is a very successful club owner, Tom G. said that he owns a string of bars and nightclubs and is a millionaire, which is one of the reasons that he couldn't be arsed with touring with CF towards the end.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 am 

Legion from Marduk. He made an album with Witchery in 2010, then quit the band. Does anybody know what he's up to these days?

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am 

I found this (recent) interview with Martin Eric Ain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhVNLa5ihMo

PazuzuZlave wrote:
Legion from Marduk. He made an album with Witchery in 2010, then quit the band. Does anybody know what he's up to these days?

Pretty sure he's a tattoo artist nowadays.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 am 

Obligatory Mike Howe mention. I wouldn't expect him to ever get involved with a band again after seemingly vanishing from music altogether 20 years ago, but I'd certainly be interested in what he's done since then and what he's up to today. Some insight into his time with both Metal Church and Heretic, especially.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

joncheetham88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:49 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Using LinkedIn to find "famous" people who are otherwise absent of personal social media accounts is weirdly entertaining.

Yeah. I found Runhild Gammelsæter on there (who provided the monstrous vocals for Thorr's Hammer, a band featuring Sunn 0))) members); she has had a remarkably successful career in science and medicine.

http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.com

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm 

I've always wondered about Christy and Laurie from Ludicra. The rest of the band has gone on to amazing things, but they seem to have disappeared from the scene apart from an occasional guest vocal appearance.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 pm 

Steve Cloutier of Gorguts.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 pm 

dametalone wrote:
I always wondered what happened to Peter Lindgren of Opeth

I can sort of answer this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZyCy12lqgs

He got a job and focused on his family life. It seems that by the time Ghost Reveries came around he was already planning on leaving the band and going for a steady life outside of music.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

hots_towel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 pm 

the strangest one i can think of was back in my "core" days of metal. one of the members of bury your dead (i could be wrong. thats just the first one in my head that sounds correct) left the band to work at a middle school.

i never got that. was it so when he signs detention slips he's also handing out autographs??

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:04 pm 

hots_towel wrote:
the strangest one i can think of was back in my "core" days of metal. one of the members of bury your dead (i could be wrong. thats just the first one in my head that sounds correct) left the band to work at a middle school.

i never got that. was it so when he signs detention slips he's also handing out autographs??

I can think of a thousand reasons why being a teacher is more rewarding than being in a metalcore band.

JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:06 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
hots_towel wrote:

I can think of a thousand reasons why being a teacher is more rewarding than being in a metalcore band.

Reason 1: You're not in a metalcore band.
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:37 pm 

I think quite the opposite. I would rather play metalcore than argue with a bunch of pubescent snotnosed little bastards who dont know a thing about deodorant application and handwashing after masturbation.

But anywho, speaking of Opeth, I too was wondering about former members upon seeing this thread. Has Martin Lopez gotten any better with his anxiety and all that? I remember he was pretty messed up about being away from home, but hot damn he is a good drummer.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:41 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
But anywho, speaking of Opeth, I too was wondering about former members upon seeing this thread. Has Martin Lopez gotten any better with his anxiety and all that? I remember he was pretty messed up about being away from home, but hot damn he is a good drummer.

This'll help : http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/03/27/ex ... ject-soen/

And at least according to the archives page, he performed on Opeth's latest. He's remained in touch with the band.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:22 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
handwashing after masturbation.

You're supposed to wash your hands afterwards? Hmmm... good to know, good to know...

On topic, I had no idea Jason Mendonca had such a "legit" job. I really miss Akercocke, but at least it seems he's doing well and we got Voices out of the deal too, so it turned out OK, I suppose.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:33 pm 

I saw a music video from Soen right after I posted last time, they are damn good in my opinion. A lot like modern Katatonia, or rather, a more interesting modern Katatonia. He looks a lot healthier too. Judging from that interview, it's probably better for him than Opeth ever will be.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:50 pm 

I heard that Doug Cerrito from Suffocation became an engineer specializing in air conditioners. Never found any confirmation though.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:36 am 

Thorn from Vital Remains

I really liked his vocals. Not too modern, not too old school. Just Perfect, if i may exaggerate :D It's a real waste he did only this one album.

wolfs lair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 am 

true_death wrote:
I found this (recent) interview with Martin Eric Ain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhVNLa5ihMo

PazuzuZlave wrote:

Pretty sure he's a tattoo artist nowadays.

bikie gang. probably best not to say which one.... he's not allowed to sing or perform anymore.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 pm 

wolfs lair wrote:
bikie gang. probably best not to say which one.... he's not allowed to sing or perform anymore.

Judging from all the bondage gear he wore on stage, he's not allowed to do a lot of things. ;)

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm 

I've always wondered about Alien from Ufomammut. It's not like the guy did anything anywhere after Godlike Snake, but the creepy and ominous yet still somewhat melodically substantial and leading keyboards he did on that album is a style that only Ufomammut themselves managed to retain on subsequent albums. Still, that debut's keyboard work has a quirk to it that I'm almost certain Alien alone provided. The hell happened with him?

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I've always wondered about Christy and Laurie from Ludicra. The rest of the band has gone on to amazing things, but they seem to have disappeared from the scene apart from an occasional guest vocal appearance.

Laurie's still around, she did guest vocals on the most recent Hazzard's Cure EP "The Ugly" and has played a bunch of their hometown shows with them this year on backup vocals for a song or two. Don't know about Christie, I think she moved out of the bay some years ago.

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:24 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Obligatory Mike Howe mention. I wouldn't expect him to ever get involved with a band again after seemingly vanishing from music altogether 20 years ago, but I'd certainly be interested in what he's done since then and what he's up to today. Some insight into his time with both Metal Church and Heretic, especially.

He's retired, living in Tennessee and working in a garage. He's also allegedly holding a grudge against Kurt Vanderhoof because he wasn't invited back to Metal Church in 2001. He wants nothing to do with music at all.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
hots_towel wrote:

Honestly, metalcore band or not, you get a steady paycheck and a relatively stable home life. Touring gets old for most of these guys and even guys who play with successful bands might not reap all the financial benefits (look at the recent stories of Greg Christian and Dave Lombardo).

Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:37 pm 

I wonder what Mustis (ex Dimmu) is up to. And Damien Gregori and Robin Graves (both ex COF).

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:51 pm 

iiix wrote:
Obligatory Zeeb Parks mention.

This is one I'd like to hear about. A bit of trawling online reveals he's totally fallen out with Phil Cope and has no contact today. There are various rumours about the guy, but none confirmed. Some say he's in and out of prison, others say he's an down and out unemployed family man. Reports of the time do suggest the guy was always a bit on the edge of sanity, but that's not really anything new in metal.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 am 

Unity wrote:
I wonder what Mustis (ex Dimmu) is up to.

Playing keyboards in Susperia since 2010.

shamatarigrind666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:17 am 

I'm curious about Scott Reagers from Saint Vitus. I know he appeared on stage with them a few years ago and sang Burial at Sea(video of which was rick n rolled as a twisted joke) but other than that, I haven't seen or heard anything about him.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next