Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThomasBear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 pm 

READ FIRST: This is not an attempt to debate the merits of print as a medium. Nor is this an attempt to discuss the editorial choices of Terrorizer magazine and the fact that they’ll put bands like Machine Head, Slipknot and Cradle of Filth on the cover. If you still enjoy print magazines, there are other tiles out there — more extreme (e.g. Zero Tolerance, Iron Fist) and less extreme (Metal Hamster) that should suit.
The purpose of this post is to find out if anyone else has had a problem with this publication and figure out why they’ve dropped the ball so badly as of late.

So I’ve been a paying subscriber to Terrorizer for a couple of years now. I pay the international subscription rate and I don’t mind getting it a few weeks late, given where I live (Australia).
In the same way that there are people who still buy vinyl and cassettes, I still very much love and enjoy the medium that is print magazines, even though there are no shortage of people lining up to proclaim that it’s ‘dead’.

Over the last three years I’ve noticed several key staff are no longer at Terrorizer, including the editor, Louise Brown, and the managing editor, Darren Sadler.
Now I sympathise with anyone who works on print. Really, I do. It’s a tough gig. Circulation for newspapers and magazines has consistently declined over the years. You’re constantly fighting the receding tide. It’s a job people do for love and passion. If you want to make money, become a banker.

Nonetheless, it seems to me they really dropped the ball recently. Apparently, two issues didn’t come out on time, and this pissed off their paid subscribers no end who kept wondering when their magazines will arrive.
Mind you, I’m not just talking a few days late. Apparently, one issue came out something like a month late. As far as I can tell, it was sent out at the same time as the next issue.
Officially, this is due to ‘production’ issues.

It’s true that print production problems happen all the time. Multi-page features fall over all the time and you have to find something to fill it with. Advertisement don’t come in. Things get cancelled or go wrong.
But this is where my personal gripe comes in: I haven’t seen anything from them for months. Other people, even in Australia, are (finally) seeing their paid subscriptions arrive. Mine hasn’t.
It reached the point where I cancelled my subscription this morning. Mind you, this was after they billed me automatically – for a product which never arrived.
If this were a trader or a distro, you’d want to know why your paid-for item hasn’t arrived.

Are these the symptoms of an independent magazine merely struggling to get by with ever-shrinking resources? Or is there more to the story?

Of course I don’t know any of the people involved so this is purely conjecture. But is there anyone else here — readers, bands, promoters, contributors or anyone else — who have had problems with this magazine?

aloof
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:28 pm 

ThomasBear wrote:
Are these the symptoms of an independent magazine merely struggling to get by with ever-shrinking resources? Or is there more to the story?

both. practically speaking, they've been better. there's a shortage of staff. last issue I picked up, Tom had pretty much written half of it on his own.

of course, there's more to the story, but maybe some other time. if you get all issues, though, you might have noticed there's been changes at the top fairly recently, and a large chunk of the editorial team now writes for Iron Fist.

personally, I want, and need, them to pull it together. Terrorizer has been an institution, and I'd like to see them go back to their former glories. it might take some time, though.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 am 

Sad to hear. I didn't renew my Terrorizer subscription last year because I got tired of the shipping cost to US. I think I was paying newsstand price, if not a little more, which was ~$10 an issue. So spoiled am I by dirt cheap yearly subscriptions, like Guitar World for $15 or Decibel for $30...

Never had a problem with Terrorizer shipping-wise, though. I've had a couple issues with other mags; my first issue of Iron Fist was lost in the mail and had to be resent, and I got a copy of Decibel without a flexi disc once. Both were resolved, anyway. Also, I didn't know a bunch of past Terrorizer folks are now on board with Iron Fist. I guess I'm not surprised. I forgot to mention I was supposed to get a free Ruins of Beverast CD when I subscribed to Iron Fist, but it's been a year and I haven't gotten it. My subscription with them has been a little rocky and I think I'll stick to single copies domestically from now on...

maladie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 am 

Too bad really, I used to read Terrorizer religiously in 2005 to about 2009 or so but I found that the ball was already falling at the end of that period. Either way, you could see that it's a labour of love. I hope they pull it together really.

Haven't heard of Iron Fist though, new UK mag?

Daemonlord
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:35 am 

I bought Terrorizer from issue 40-50 something, and rarely missed an issue. That was until around 3-4 years ago, when the content had dropped massively in quality imo. I struggled to take the writers seriously for many reasons, but mainly the lackluster/uninformed reviews and bog standard interviews. I dunno, maybe it was because they were a fresh faced bunch of newbs and I'm a little long in the tooth, but a lot of the content just whiffed of shite to me. I noticed a few of the staff I disliked (one in particular), are now fairly high up in the ranks at Metal Hammer - so that figures.

Iron Fist is where it's at these days for metal print mags, it's well written by folk who know their stuff (though Zero Tolerance still gets an honourable mention too).

My Metal Collectors Blog (early & 1st presses, rarities, obscure and hard to find) - http://www.source-of-steel.com/
My Metal Collection Archived - http://rateyourmusic.com/~Daemonlord
My tradelist - https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Da ... ag/trade/1

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:10 am 

Havent looked at a music magazine in probably 10 years. Simply evolved to going online and most of the just turned to shit, ahem, Metal Edge.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 am 

maladie wrote:
Too bad really, I used to read Terrorizer religiously in 2005 to about 2009 or so but I found that the ball was already falling at the end of that period. Either way, you could see that it's a labour of love. I hope they pull it together really.

Haven't heard of Iron Fist though, new UK mag?

I'll continue the extol the merits of Iron Fist indefinitely, if the quality keeps up. It's the most legit metal magazine I've ever read - 'much as I enjoy Zero Tolerance, it exceeds that by a good bit in terms of appealing to my taste. They just about manage to get an issue out every two months, although there sometimes doesn't seem to be much rhyme-or-reason as to when during those two months - they haven't outright failed yet though, and the journalism is very enjoyable.

As for Terrorizer, they're definitely a force for good, but there's a lot of crap bundled in amongst the good - or at least stuff which isn't quite so relevant to my taste. When I was 17 and discovered there was an alternative to the incurably dreadful UK version of Metal Hammer, it was exciting, but it feels entry level by contrast with Zero Tolerance and Iron Fist now - they cater far better to the elitist-fuckhead in me.

LowlightOracle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:07 am 

Have to agree in general with much of what has been said here - I cancelled my subscription a month or so ago, but really I should have done it a couple of years back. Basically when Louise Brown was editor and the core staff consisted of James Hoare, James Minton and Jonothan Horsley it was an excellent publication with great reviews and interesting interviews. The latter three writers were all insightful, irreverent where it was required and hilarious, plus they really know their shit about metal in general. All three left in quick succession and Louise left not that longer afterwards. Darren Sadler has his heart in the right place but as soon as he took over as editor it went quickly down the shitter. Shorter and shorter interviews that simply read like label promos, crappy bands included to appeal to young audiences and genuinely shit reviews (not all but some of the writers were literally clueless with very little knowledge and even less ability to write entertaining reviews.) Some of them were highly unreliable ( I know people who know them).

Anyway there has been an unexplained delay in the recent issues and they sent me the last 2 of my subscription together about a week ago, but I will just put them on the pile of about a years worth of Terrorizer that I have not read but might glance at at some point in the future. I love print media and Iron Fist has raised the bar to a level which just kills of weaker brands. It also proves that you don't need to pander to a 'younger' kerrang audience - most of the Fist content is stuff teenagers have no interest in whatsoever and each edition feels like an artifact in and of itself which you would genuinely want to keep.

I would also put in a good word for Zero Tolerance. It is a bit more opinionated and arbitrary over what is 'true', but the writers are generally really good, and they have some genuine lifers on the books like Chris Kee, plus they cover all kinds of extreme music.

So I guess what I am trying to say is Terrorizer R.I.P. Sad really.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 pm 

Terrorizer has been rubbish since the early 2000's. They need to bring back Ghai Sun-Christ :p

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:11 pm 

This is the only music rag available anymore locally, at the Chapters bookstore... when it actually is there that is... aside ordering anything else online.

Content wise... meh, nothing remarkable and nothing to complain about. These types of things have to try and appease so many that you generally end up pleasing no one. In the end the cost of paper and physically publishing kills you anyways hahaha

Personally surprised this one still exists where so many others have died.

Reply to topic