Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:04 am 

So Elffor is back!!!

ELFFOR "DRÄ SAD" SLIPCASE DIGIPACK CD

8th Full-length album (2017)

4 Tracks, 45 minutes of pure MEDIEVAL AMBIENT/DUNGEON SYNTH

I was hoping a return to his mid-era sound but this will be at least better than the last and boring album. Thoughts?

Pitiless Wanderer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:02 am 

I got into them last year and am not familiar with their early material. I enjoyed Malkhedant though.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I got into them last year and am not familiar with their early material. I enjoyed Malkhedant though.

It depends on which sort of bm do you like but Elffor´s trademark sound was much better represented on those albums(for example):

Youtube: show

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 pm 

I already sent an email to reserve a copy, of course!

Paganbasque, I see you are still not fond of Malkhedant, and I say that knowing you are a man of impeccable taste. What a pity! Did you by chance hear the two bonus tracks? They are absolutely magnificent! Get your hands on them I emplore you :) Personally I rate Malkhedant among Eöl's best work, though I understand the preference for the older material. He is a legendary figure for me and there is not one thing he's produced that I don't thoroughly enjoy.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:25 am 

pfk505 wrote:
I already sent an email to reserve a copy, of course!

Paganbasque, I see you are still not fond of Malkhedant, and I say that knowing you are a man of impeccable taste. What a pity! Did you by chance hear the two bonus tracks? They are absolutely magnificent! Get your hands on them I emplore you :) Personally I rate Malkhedant among Eöl's best work, though I understand the preference for the older material. He is a legendary figure for me and there is not one thing he's produced that I don't thoroughly enjoy.

Thanks for the kinds words mate. :)

It was really a pity because I am huge fan of this work but Malkhendant sounds less Elffor-esque than I could accept. The lack(or smaller presence) of keys and his traditionals vocal make this album sound more a like a collaboration than a proper Elffor work.

Anyway, and in relation to the bonus tracks, I must say that "Lautada kirastuak" sounds too similar to the stuff contained in the album but "Aban dhon" is simply marvellous. 100% Elffor sound with a predominant key melody which makes me love this track. I wish he could record a full length in the vein of this track!!

About the new opus I am just waiting to a teaser or full track before I order it. I am being cautious taking into account that I placed a blind order with Malkhendant.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:53 am 

I find myself quite lost with Elffor since I like only some of his albums. I'm more interested in Numen (who are working in a new album too).
Anyway, let's wait for a teaser.
P.S: I listened to (1998) Graveland - Epilogue / In the Glare of Burning Churches last week and there are some cool synths there. :thumbsup:

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I find myself quite lost with Elffor since I like only some of his albums. I'm more interested in Numen (who are working in a new album too).
Anyway, let's wait for a teaser.
P.S: I listened to (1998) Graveland - Epilogue / In the Glare of Burning Churches last week and there are some cool synths there. :thumbsup:

Which ones?

Numen´s first album and EP have a very special place betwen my fav releases. I have enjoyed their later releases though I will never understand why they choosed the "the faster, the better" path instead of improving the good ideas of the first album. Anyway I am curious to check out what they can offer now.

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:12 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:

This is most excellent news to hear! I greatly enjoy all Numen's albums but most especially Galdutako itxaropenaren eresia.

Paganbasque wrote:
Anyway, and in relation to the bonus tracks, I must say that "Lautada kirastuak" sounds too similar to the stuff contained in the album but "Aban dhon" is simply marvellous. 100% Elffor sound with a predominant key melody which makes me love this track. I wish he could record a full length in the vein of this track!!

About the new opus I am just waiting to a teaser or full track before I order it. I am being cautious taking into account that I placed a blind order with Malkhendant.

"Aban dhon" really is just magnificent! I agree that "Lautada kirastuak" is more in tune with the rest of the album though.

New album is supposed to be DS only, so probably more like the split with Murgrind (although that did progress eventually to a black metal finale). Incidentally Murgrind seems to share a very similar aesthetic (and logo) to Elffor, and has produced two fantastic albums along with his great contribution to that split.

By the way I should reiterate, as much as I loved Malkhedant I think the best Elffor album is Unblessed Woods. The perfect mix of his two worlds.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 am 

pfk505 wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

This is most excellent news to hear! I greatly enjoy all Numen's albums but most especially Galdutako itxaropenaren eresia.

Paganbasque wrote:

"Aban dhon" really is just magnificent! I agree that "Lautada kirastuak" is more in tune with the rest of the album though.

New album is supposed to be DS only, so probably more like the split with Murgrind (although that did progress eventually to a black metal finale). Incidentally Murgrind seems to share a very similar aesthetic (and logo) to Elffor, and has produced two fantastic albums along with his great contribution to that split.

By the way I should reiterate, as much as I loved Malkhedant I think the best Elffor album is Unblessed Woods. The perfect mix of his two worlds.

Mate, I agree with you in both cases. "Galdutako Itxaropenaren Eresia" is my favourite Numen album and the same happens with "Unblessed Woods". I should mention that Elffor´s bonus tracks in the last 3 albums are in many cases even better than the actual album tracks.

Reply to topic