Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unholy Philosopher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:36 pm 

Quote:
Now, after much waiting, the band has finally announced that Brotherhood of the Snake is due out on October 28! The album will be the band's first with ex-Death bassist Steve DiGiorgio since 2001's First Strike Still Deadly (or 1999's The Gathering if you don't count the latter as an album), and second with drummer Gene Hoglan of Strapping Young Lad, Death, and Dethklok fame.

The album will be mixed by Andy Sneap, who has recently worked with bands like Despised Icon, Amon Amarth, Carcass, Exodus, and about a billion others.

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/testament-to-release-brotherhood-of-the-snake-in-october

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 pm 

Great news! :D

stainedclass2112, on The Legacy, wrote:
Even the really extreme thrash albums out there can't match this level of holy shit-ness.

raspberrysoda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:50 pm 

They stopped being relevant a really long time ago. Another album by them will be exactly like the useless cash grabber "Dark Roots of Earth" was.

Napero wrote:
I keep reading your username as "razzberrysoda". Too much Pokémon Go with youngest daughter, it seems.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:58 pm 

What? But I though "Dark Roots of Earth" was a good album... I mean, I really, really like it... :(

stainedclass2112, on The Legacy, wrote:
Even the really extreme thrash albums out there can't match this level of holy shit-ness.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:16 pm 

raspberrysoda wrote:
They stopped being relevant a really long time ago. Another album by them will be exactly like the useless cash grabber "Dark Roots of Earth" was.

I disagree and think their last couple albums were excellent. I look forward to hearing this one. Sounds like it'll be a good mix of everything from The Gathering till now.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:21 pm 

Third with Hoglan actually; he drummed on Demonic too (although we don't really talk about Demonic anymore).
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:41 pm 

raspberrysoda wrote:
...useless cash grabber...

A kind suggestion: When throwing this term around, quantifiable data such as actual numbers would probably help that argument make sense.

Fairly sure they've done better for themselves with all of their touring compared to their unpredictable release schedule in more recent times. Hell, they knocked out the recording for this album in a month and half and that was between tours... and that comes after Eric and the label wanted to finish it months ago. Probably last year.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Third with Hoglan actually; he drummed on Demonic too (although we don't really talk about Demonic anymore).

Another excellent Testament release IMO.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:52 pm 

Wow, am I super out of the loop? Why the line up change? I thought Testament had a fairly consistent line up for a while now. Anyway, I've liked their last two albums well enough so I'll check this out. Still a really fun live band, too.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:26 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Another excellent Testament release IMO.

By itself it's fairly bleh, but when you realize that its sandwiched between two of their best albums in Low and The Gathering does it become a totally pointless album. I don't think the band even acknowledges it anymore.
Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic/Doom/Black Metal

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:47 pm 

Demonic is still better than The Ritual :P Low has actually dropped a notch on my Testament rating chart due to being so utterly fucking sick of "Last Call".

Storm of the Light's Bane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:25 pm 

That is great news!
I AM VERY ANGRY ABOUT YOU. YOU HAVE NO FREAKIN´ CLUE WHAT THEIR ARE DOING,FOR FIRST,THESE *BEEP* REJECTED Grönder ONLY FOR IT´S NOT METAL?? IT´S METAL AND NOW THIS? I AM FREKINGLY ANGRY,AS THE FOUNDER OF THE BAND!

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:06 pm 

Fuck yeah! Gene Hoglan, Steve DiGiorgio, and Alex Skolnik? This is most likely going to be a monstrous one. I can't see them putting out a mediocre album after the previous two. By the way, there was a thread for Testament's new album already, but whatever.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 pm 

I'm excited for this. Testament has always been one of my favorite thrash bands, and their last two kicked ass. :headbang:

My bass covers. Latest cover: Black Sabbath - "Hand of Doom"

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:33 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
Demonic is still better than The Ritual :P Low has actually dropped a notch on my Testament rating chart due to being so utterly fucking sick of "Last Call".

I suppose that might come down to what each of us gets from each of those albums. "The Ritual" has a bunch of Alex's best lead and solo work while I listen to "Demonic" almost solely for Gene's drumming and an appreciation for the risk they took at the time on top of the lineup in a state of unfamiliarity.

"Last Call" isn't a highlight, but that album was a turning point and became the template for everything the band has done since. Gave me a whole new level of respect for James Murphy and John Tempesta, too.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:53 am 

Razakel wrote:
Wow, am I super out of the loop? Why the line up change? I thought Testament had a fairly consistent line up for a while now. Anyway, I've liked their last two albums well enough so I'll check this out. Still a really fun live band, too.

Greg quit very similarly to the way Dave was fired from Slayer:
http://loudwire.com/former-testament-ba ... advantage/

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:33 am 

Interesting if they can reach "The Gathering" heights again. Last two albums had a couple of hits each for me, but also a lot of OK filler music.

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:13 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
I suppose that might come down to what each of us gets from each of those albums. "The Ritual" has a bunch of Alex's best lead and solo work while I listen to "Demonic" almost solely for Gene's drumming and an appreciation for the risk they took at the time on top of the lineup in a state of unfamiliarity.

"Last Call" isn't a highlight, but that album was a turning point and became the template for everything the band has done since. Gave me a whole new level of respect for James Murphy and John Tempesta, too.

The Ritual isn't that bad but it's rather dull and extremely overlong... chopped down by about 15 minutes it would be a lot better. The rest of Low is definitely great (although "Urotsukidoji" is also rather filler-ish). I still wish the drums had a lot more punch though, they're very murky and buried. Demonic has much better production, but the lack of solos and the lack of songwriting variation are its main weaknesses.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:29 pm 

I'm pumped! I loved TFoD (apparently I'm the only one) and Dark Roots of Earth was pretty solid. I'm always down for new Testament.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:30 pm 

I was pretty meh on Formation and quite liked Dark Roots so I could still be potentially up for this.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:38 pm 

I listened to The Formation Of Damnation yesterday, and I didn't like it as much as I used to when I first heard it. Some songs are indeed very good like the title track and "More Than Meets The Eye", to name a few, but overall there are a lot of groove metal riffs and rhythms. Dark Roots Of Earth is by far a better album, and if the new album is anything like it but with more blast beats (which they have promised), then I'll be a happy guy.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm 

Yeah, I tend to notice a lot of the things people don't like about TFoD when I listen to it now. I don't consider it a bad album, but I wouldn't say it's great either.

When I first heard it, I was still relatively new to metal as a whole, so I thought it was like the greatest thing ever.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:16 pm 

Curiously enough, it seems like Eric wrote all of the music himself this time. Granted, he's been The Guy for a while now but if I were in his position with this lineup, I'm absolutely welcoming as many ideas as possible.

Maybe that won't turn out to be the case and it won't matter anyway if this is indeed their thrashiest in a while. At least we know for sure Gene's been writing the new Dark Angel with Jimmy Durkin and that's an entirely different animal right there.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:23 pm 

Not surprising about Eric. There was a recent interview with Skolnick where he said he was ok with Eric doing all the writing. Of course people read all kinds of things into that.

Greg got booted from Testament because he'd become unreliable. There were numerous reports of him being on drugs, including fans spotting him buying before shows.

For all their talk of The Gathering, I don't think they will do it because there is a missing ingredient: Lombardo. He co-wrote some songs with Eric and had input into others. And as great a drummer as Gene is, Dave is just that much better. Really hate seeing him slum it in Suicidal Tendencies.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:32 am 

I love Testament. I've always loved Testament. I think I will always love Testament. Even when they obliterate my hopes, I'll still have fond memories.
To conclude, I will absolutely be owning this one.

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:58 am 

I'm curious what this album will sound like, but I doubt it will do anything for me. Newer Testament just don't fondle the dongle like earlier stuff does occasionally, but I have a stop-start interest with all of their material, so eh.

raspberrysoda wrote:
Another album by them will be exactly like the useless cash grabber "Dark Roots of Earth" was.

lolwhat. I'm not a huge fan of their latest stuff but calling Dark Roots Of Earth a cashgrab is misinformed idiocy of the highest order.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:27 am 

Wow, Steve diGiorgio, Gene Hoglan and Andy Sneap, that's a fucking hell of a lineup!

PerfectB
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 pm 

I'm not a Testament fanboy. Lots of tracks are hit and miss with me, even among the old shit. And I'll admit their relevance fades in and out (really depends on who they're on tour with...great opening band but a little disappointing as a headliner). But Dark Roots is a pretty decent record..I know that guy above is trying to get a reaction but the record is worth at least a few spins. I'm a little on the fence about a new record, they might have lost a little steam but I'll prolly still check it out

EDIT: And as much as I love Hoglan's old work I did think he got a little uninspired playing for Testament...I'm hoping he really brings the fire and creativity back with his drum parts

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:30 am 

I respect Testament, they're a fine band, but why in the holy name of fuck do they purposefully advertise the fact that they have members who were in Death, Strapping Young Lad, and Dethklok?

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:05 am 

That last album was great, it actually made Testament one of the more relevant old thrash bands. I can't wait for this one.

Cryptic Writings.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:35 am 

PerfectB wrote:
I'm not a Testament fanboy. Lots of tracks are hit and miss with me, even among the old shit. And I'll admit their relevance fades in and out (really depends on who they're on tour with...great opening band but a little disappointing as a headliner).

Same here.

John_Sunlight wrote:
I respect Testament, they're a fine band, but why in the holy name of fuck do they purposefully advertise the fact that they have members who were in Death, Strapping Young Lad, and Dethklok?

Cause Trash is dead?

volutetheswarth
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:02 am 

I don't understand the whole 'relevancy' argument being slung around. Relevant to what? "The scene"? Are people aware of what 'relevant' means and how many genuinely good bands give no shits if they quantify as relevant? Idiotic pop culture/trending argument.

Dark Roots didn't impress me but it was alright, I REALLY didn't care for 'Native Blood' but it was passable. Honestly I wouldn't expect The Gathering part 2, when members spout stuff like it's more death metal and it's heavier it usually means more blasts or a few more growls, always limp insipid stuff in comparison to legitimate sounding death metal.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:14 am 

I must be super weird because I thought TFoD was a great example of how to meld all of their styles over the years into one intense, memorable album but DRoE was pretty inconsequential overall. It just seemed to go through the motions of what the previous one defined, while that previous one was like their personal Dead Again. And honestly, I've been pretty vocal over how I think Steve and Gene are two of the most talented guys in metal who somehow always end up playing on extremely bland, boring albums. Discounting Gene's playing on Alien, neither of them have been featured on anything I've liked in roughly twenty years, plus we all know how Sneap's production jobs invariably sound. So basically I'm expecting absolutely nothing from this one.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:13 am 

I thought that Formation was fucking awesome (Persecuted Won't Forget and Afterlife are some of my favorite Testament songs) and that Dark Roots was right there with it. I still enjoy both, and I'm excited to hear what they've got for this album. There's that core of Chuck, Eric, and Alex, so some awesome riffing, solos and structures are guaranteed (at least in my book), so I bet that this fancy ass rhythm section will only bolster the awesomeness. I'm totally guilty of being a Testament fanboy, so regardless, I'll be enjoying this new album. :headbang:

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:41 am 

Can we believe to Eric or...

TESTAMENT’s Eric Peterson On Upcoming The Brotherhood Of The Snake Album - “We Want To Sound Like We Do Live”

Legendary bay area thrash metal giants, Testament, will release their 12th album, The Brotherhood Of The Snake, on October 28th via Nuclear Blast. KaaosTV caught up with guitarist Eric Peterson at at Tuska Open Air in Helsinki, Finland on July 1st, and he talked about the new album and more.

About the new album, Eric says, “It’s done. It’s 99.9% done. I still have two solos to do when I get home, which is gonna happen tomorrow. But it’s being mixed right now. So, like I said, it’s 99.9% done as far as recording. Right now we’re in the stage of mixing it, so we’re trying to find the right sound. We’re working with Andy Sneap again. Andy always gets a great sound right away. The only difference on this one is, we’re trying to be a little bit more organic, and getting away from Andy’s perfection sound, and get more of a looser… you know, still keeping the slickness of it, but trying to get a little bit more raw.”

The Brotherhood Of The Snake was recorded under the watchful eyes of producer Juan Urteaga (Exodus, Machine Head), guitarist Eric Peterson and singer Chuck Billy and is currently being mixed and mastered by well-known metal producer Andy Sneap (Accept, Megadeth).

Commented Peterson in another interview: "It's very diverse, but it's very epic. There's nothing on there that breeds commercial. And I think for thirty years of recording music and trying different formulas and stuff, I think we've found a formula that is very metal. I think for the metal fan that is looking for something for the nook and crannies… not just your normal, 'Oh, it's got a thrash beat and a riff.' There's a lot going on here."

In another interview, the songwriter stated: "It's different. This one is more thrash. I mean, this has got some of the fastest stuff that we have ever played. Usually, we have one or two thrash songs, and then we have some mid-tempo, and then we have a slow, heavy one, and then up-tempo kind of stuff. Half of the new record is thrash, which we've never done before."

He continued: "It's kind of like Demonic and The Gathering, but a little bit wiser, I think. Chuck's not singing so death. I mean, he does some death stuff but he's singing more like he did on the last record and then with the craziness of The Gathering or even heavy stuff like Demonic."

Testament will support The Brotherhood Of The Snake on their European run with Amon Amarth this fall. Dates to be announced soon. The band will embark on their summer festival run next week including some chosen club shows beginning July 13th in Hungary.

Link
http://bravewords.com/news/testaments-e ... live-video

"You make it easy."

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:50 pm 

Andy Sneap...I'm sure it will sound just like an Andy Sneap album and I've got enough of those. Wish that guy would go away, or at least stop working with thrash bands. I think the last record of those I really liked the sound of was The Gathering.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:58 pm 

Considering Sneap is also mixing and possibly mastering the new Overkill album, which is slated to be released the same month if not the same day, he might not be able to devote his usual time and processes to each album. Of course, I'm also sure that if Eric told him to hold back a little bit, I don't see why he wouldn't oblige.

As an aside, does anyone have any insight on a new Hell album? I would've surely thought we'd hear something concrete by now.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:05 pm 

Make up your mind, Eric. What the hell is the new album going to sound like? Also, I'm confused with him saying that none of their past albums had as much thrash as this new one is going to have. So, The Legacy and The New Order were not completely thrash?

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:47 pm 

I agree, and in my opinion, comparing anything to Demonic is a horrible thing. I can't speak for other Testament fans, but that album is an atrocity in my opinion. I do hope he is just trying to back things up with hype rather than truth, because if they are adding in anything like Demonic, count me out.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:59 pm 

Hoglan played so much better in DARK ANGEL than he has in TESTAMENT.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next